George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Lucas is a whiny nerd who can't handle anyone giving him critisicm over his 'brilliant' ideas

in roleplaying terms he'd be called a "That DM" - because its only 'that' kind of prick who'd retcon his own work just because he feels like it, change the tone of a series of completely, and water everything down just because he feels like it

heck, look at what he did to the last Indianna jones movie. It was shit. because lucas wanted indie and aliens together.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the recognition they will be judged for their opinion

eljawa:

The prequels were still better than Return of the Jedi (with the exception of episode 2, which sucks)

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

Treblaine:
[quote="FinalDream" post="7.338693.13704536"]
. The ONE good part of the Prequel Trilogy, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars well that was too good. He pulled it from air, got a tiny DVD release then retconned it out of history with his own version (with almost the exact same title) that was monumentally worse and borderline unwatchable.

He didn't make a single change in the Special Edition that improved the film. They were just his pet peeves. .

have you seen the clone wars TV show? The more recent ones (past two seasons) are very good actually (the movie and first season are mostly crap with like one gem in the very end)

and...Most of the changes were improvements. As i said above...color correction was fixed. a few great shots in tatooine were added. the technical readout of the death star. digitally fixing obviously fake crowds in the scene where luke gets his medal. CGI jabba (albeit not impressively done for ILM but i like that scene). explosions were made to look better. CGI sarlack pit. CGI wampa. most of the changes are not noticible unless you look at it side by side with older releases (which, contrary to popular belief, are not identical to the theatrical release)

The Clone Wars TV show? Which one? The good one or the bad one?

If you mean the more recent bad one then yes I have seen it and I stand by my opinion. Of course you can have the opinion it's good but then again you also think The Phantom Menace and Kingdom of Crystal Skulls were not only "not crap" but some of the better entries in the series. So, that shows the relevance of your opinion!

You do NOT need a side by side comparison to notice these glaringly out of place and inconsistent changes. As a fact, that is right out, as your opinion, that seems to be rose tinted glasses.

And don't give me that "1990's CGI" excuse. You want to see 1990's CGI, from a whole 4 years previous, made in 1993 for much longer and more active shots and for the price of just one movie ticket (rather than three with original trilogy re-release), Jurassic Park;

I'm sorry, I don't see CGI there. I see a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Maybe Gorge should have called his best buddy Steve before he dabbled with CGI, though maybe he did and heard how much time and money Spielberg spent getting the CGI as utterly perfect as it is and went for the cheapest barely passable version we have.

Not only was CGI Jabba a huge technical failure but it UTTERLY compromised his character and the relationship between Han and Jabba. Jabba was changed from a ruthless and evil interplanetary crime lord to a local jovial businessman who reasons with a lowly smuggler and tolerates him back-talking to him as well as the scene being FULL of redundant exposition that Han already had with Greedo. The threat of Jabba to Han Solo was supposed to hang over throughout the entire series and was key force of conflict over his allegiance to the Rebellion.

The animatronic Jabba was FAR more consistent and integral to the overall theme, plot and characterisation of the movies.

Again, CGI Sarlacc Pit was not only unconvincing and unnecessary but the original appeal of the pit was the unknown, it was a black hole of unspeakable horrors, not another monster of the week. The "bit by a huge beak" still seems a step down in the threat escalation from the Rancor battle previously. And by the way, was that Rancor not perfectly convincing with its seamless mixture of animatronics and stop motion?

And George doesn't fix the obvious things, like movie mistakes that are fine if the audience misses them until someone points them out:

Still not fixed, not on any version.

I'm NOT against all changes, especially if they are improvements.

But that is clearly not Lucas' aim nor intention, he's clearly just adding shit in for the sake of adding shit in with the most shallow thought to how it affects the films and lore as a whole.

webkilla:
Lucas is a whiny nerd who can't handle anyone giving him critisicm over his 'brilliant' ideas

in roleplaying terms he'd be called a "That DM" - because its only 'that' kind of prick who'd retcon his own work just because he feels like it, change the tone of a series of completely, and water everything down just because he feels like it

heck, look at what he did to the last Indianna jones movie. It was shit. because lucas wanted indie and aliens together.

I stand by the opinion that Indy with Aliens COULD work... but not the way they did it.

Number one, the Crystal Skulls thing is a really stupid legend in itself that virtually no one has ever heard of. And the actual skull props looked monumentally cheap, like some acrylic shit you'd find in a kitchy "spiritualist" store in 2010, selling for about $49.99.

Uncharted did a better job at being an Indiana Jones thing with the mythos of Sir Francis Drake with El Dorado and then Maro Polo and Shangri La.

But then they tried to tie that in with Alien Providence ideas, which is OK if you are careful and consistent. One thing they CANNOT do is suddenly make it an homage to 1950's B-movie when Indiana Jones IS an adventure serial type movie and trying to blend in B-movie aesthetics and themes half-heartedly isn't good enough.

If Lucas did want that then he should have taken a far more radical approach and NOT made it an Indiana Jones film, instead make it a film that introduced a new main character and Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones was in a supporting role more like Henry Jones though possibly the inverse. In Crusade, Indy's father gave Indy a vital emotional and political guidance while Indy gave his father the practical no-nonsense guts to survive their adventures. How far would Henry have gotten without his "no ticket" moment.

So maybe a new series "Texas Jones and the Killer Spiders" Indy is the old sage (old Ben Kenobi role) now teaching the young idealistic kid how to kick ass knowing he himself won't be able to for much longer.

THEN, you COULD have a film that almost thematically bridges between the Space opera of Star Wars and good-old-adventure of Indiana Jones. That would be exciting, radical and profound.

But really, it's not an Indiana Jones film any more.

For it to be an Indy film you have to be utterly consistent with the Myan/South-American mythos theme and just hint at an alien-power rationale, but never make it explicit. Like how Raiders hints at the power of god but nothing till the very last scene and even then it is still all treated very mysteriously, nothing explicitly "yes, there is a God, as in the god of Christianity".

And also, you have to top this ending:

Music is all I have but just listening to it takes me back. The final conflict was not an action scene, it was a raw emotional one, challenging fear against intellect. It was a path of discovery for the characters, the final leap of faith and what that meant with final victory determined by the villain's own weakness and ignorance.

Honestly, Spielberg made Crusade as a definite final chapter, you CANNOT just go back to Indiana Jones just like that as really the ending of Crusades is an impossible act to follow. At least not in the same way. And that's the issue of vision, if Indy was to go on another adventure, what would the vision be for that?

HOO-BOY, lemme flex my nerd muscles and here... we... go!

eljawa:

For starters, the original unaltered version doesnt exist. The film negative was rapidly deteriorating in the 90s when the special edition was commissioned.

They made digital copies of the original film and digitally restored them, if they didn't have those copies, how do you think they made the special editions? He made several edits of the footage for the different editions/years they were released on vhs tapes and dvds which means he used the unaltered copies to make those edits. The only way they wouldn't exist is if he destroyed the digital unaltered copies, which would be a dick move and a crime by his own definition (See below)

That being said, id like to see greedo shoot first as much as the next guy, but its a minor enough change that i dont care

Minor change? Oh man. That edit completely destroyed Solo's character development. Han was a murdering drug smuggler who didn't hesitate to kill people who were trying to stop him, hence the shot through the table to kill greedo. This man develops from a greedy amoral smuggler to a person who joins a better cause greater than himself. Not only that, it was a sloppy edit that anyone says looks "wrong" visually and Greedo missing from that range with the blaster pointed right at Han's head makes the scene unintentially funny, which also removes tension.

and by all accounts, the original editor sucked ass. he was fired because he edited the shot-reverse-shot sequences, which george later got his wife to re edit along with other talented people he knew willing to take a less conventional route.

The editors and directors are what saved the films, not George. Let me list what the story editors and directors stopped from being in the final movies:
-Luke Skywalker was originally going to be a 40 year old man
-Luke Skywalker was originally going to have a robot head
-Luke's last name was originally "Starkiller"
-Lucas wanted a Wampa sub-plot in Empire
-C-3PO was originally going to talk like a used-car salesman

And that's just a few. Total control and over a decade later, we get the Gungan sea-monkey kingdom and plots that make no sense at all. I'll refer you to redlettermedia.com for full in-depth discussion on this.
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

The prequels were still better than Return of the Jedi (with the exception of episode 2, which sucks)

What? I couldn't be more shocked if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

Aliens in Indiana Jones is like X-Files hunting for the Holy Grail
"You are strangely dressed... for a knight"
"I'm Fox Mulder, This is Dana Scully... we're with the FBI"

And for everyone saying that they have a right to be offended by his changes...you dont. Its the Auteur theory of filmmaking. George Lucas considers the movies to be a work of art belonging to him that he can polish and try to perfect as long as he wants. Almost all of his changes are good. The few bad ones? An instance of bad color correction, traces of 90s CGI, and...yeah. anything beyond that is fanboys being bitches.

Yes. We do. He has an obligation to the people and culture to provide the original works along with his new edits. They belong to the culture as pieces of art, and editing the originals was in his own words "Barbaric". The best speech against what he did came from his own mouth years ago before congress:

"American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians.

Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten... The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests... Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself."
-George Lucas, 1988

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

look, I know Lucas hasnt been perfect in the past decade and a half or so, but look: Episode 3 was lazy in its directing, but still much better than most action movies released that year. Episode 1 may have had an unfocussed narrative and Jar Jar Binks, but it is loads better than most movies. Even Episode 2 had cool scenes so long as they focussed on Obi Wan.

Its good to see he will be going after some low key films that maybe he actually can invest himself in, but some people just crucufy him without cause
sorry for the spelling errors

He was lazy everywhere. Did you see the behind the scenes footage of the prequels? He sat in front of two camera screens on a green/blue screen set with coffee in his hand most of the time. The actors hated on those sets with nothing to react to. They also started working on Ep. 3 before Lucas even wrote the script.

Take a look through those movies again, you'll see almost all non-action scenes will be two actors slowly walking, talking in shot-reverse-shot, stopping, turning around, then starting to walk again or sitting down on something. (A few times they start already sitting and stand up before turning around) There's even video of him with his hands on his head and look of horror on his face and others after the sceening the first cut of Ep 1 and realizing he couldn't change it without cutting huge chunks of the film.

We're also told to believe things between characters rather than watch them develop, like how a character study movie doesn't show Anakin's training and understanding of the force or developing friendship with Obi-wan, two of the most important things in the whole saga and we don't see them. Lucas' writing made Anakin a bit of an angry prick tricked into joining the dark side instead of a noble guy seduced by it.

Really! Immediately after Anakin kills Mace Windu and says he'll join the dark side to save Padme, Palpatine says "If we work together, I'm sure we will find the secret". Right then he should have been "wait... you said your master could keep people from dying! Padme is like, ready to pop you know... I think I've been had!" HEEEYOOJ plot hole!

Not to mention Obi-wan had the footage of kids being killed by order of the Emperor WHILE the senate was in session at that very moment that he could have shown and prevented the rise of the empire. (Or they could have just taken a blood sample the moment he was suspected of being a sith) SNAP!

Lazy, sloppy writting abounds when Lucas had no editors, man, and that's just a couple examples.

WHEW! That was fun. Have a good night. :)

eljawa:
look, I know Lucas hasnt been perfect in the past decade and a half or so, but look: Episode 3 was lazy in its directing, but still much better than most action movies released that year. Episode 1 may have had an unfocussed narrative and Jar Jar Binks, but it is loads better than most movies. Even Episode 2 had cool scenes so long as they focussed on Obi Wan.

Better than most action movies that year? Is that supposed to mean something? In 2005 we saw Oldboy, Kung Fu Hustle, Sin City, Kingdom of Heaven, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the first Narnia film, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds and King Kong, all of which are above and beyond the Star Wars film in everything except the amount of CGI in them. If that's what floats your boat, great, but don't even imply that this is one of the best or even the better action movies to have come out that year.

krellen:

Metalix Knightmare:
You consider Yoda finally showing off just WHY he was a Jedi master as the single worst moment in the trilogy?

Yoda being a Jedi Master in the terms of being a Happy Fun Ball with a tiny little lightsabre is completely contrary to his established character. Yoda being "badass" is not Yoda.

How quickly we forget. "Wars do not make one great." "Your weapons: you will not need them." "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Yoda was a Jedi Master because despite his shrivled little 900 year old body, he could pull an X-Wing from the swamp with the power of the Force, not because he was a great lightsabre duelist. Turning him into some hoppy little lightsabre wielding dynamo is completely contrary to every lesson he taught Luke.

Wow, you are a sad little guy you know that?

Yoda being a Jedi Master in the terms of being a Happy Fun Ball with a tiny little lightsabre is completely contrary to his established character. Yoda being "badass" is not Yoda.
How quickly we forget. "Wars do not make one great." "Your weapons: you will not need them." "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Number one, yes wars do not make one great, but Jedi ARE expected to throw down every now and then. They don't get those lightsabers for show, and he'd just met someone who was on equal grounds with him through fighting through the force. I'd love to know what else he could do there.

Number two, no it does not go against Yoda's character to do that, and I'd love to know how you think it does. A big part of Yoda's character comes from the fact you DON'T expect the little guy to be so strong in anything. The fact that he doesn't need the force to defend himself or others is just a continuation of that.

Metalix Knightmare:
Wow, you are a sad little guy you know that?

We'll continue this conversation when you can do so without having to resort to personal attacks. You'll note that I have not once insulted your character, while you have continually done so.

Good, then maybe FINALLY he'll leave well enough alone... Besides, I'd like to see what he comes up with with the smaller projects...

imnotparanoid:
Strange I almost pity him...
On second thoughts, no I dont.

My reaction.

I guess this means that the rumor he was going to do a new trilogy set in the future (which, admittedly, is still the past from our perspective) was just a rumor after all.

Metalix Knightmare:

Do NOT doubt the depths the people who greenlight shows and movies will go to. Do you REALLY want the people who created Jersey Shore and the Twilight films working on Star Wars? Cause that's what we are at risk of now.

Seriously, are you trying to make me drink myself to death with Liquid Plumber and Tang?

OT:

I can respect the man for what he's done with his own works. I can't respect the man for what he's done to the work of others.

I don't mind the prequels. I don't mind the 'additional touches' to the originals. I don't mind the vision he has for the movies. I honestly don't mind it. He made a great movie, he let others make two great movies, he made three mediocre movies. I can stomach it, hell, I can ENJOY it. It's Star Wars, the bar is set low for me to like it...I read DeathTroopers after all...(didn't enjoy it, but I bloody well finished it.

My problem is the Retcons. My problem is the decision that HE is the final arbiter of cannon. My problem is that he has made revisions and made decisions in the works of others. My problem is that he is willing to take the financing and profits from the creative works of others and then not abide by the things that he has dictated done. My problem is that the man is fine with taking the money, but he is not fine with working within the confines of the universe that he decided would be created. THAT is my problem.

I've read a LOT of comments in this thread about Lucas owning the Films and no matter what we do, he will always own them and he Has A Right to change whatever he wishes, whenever and however he wishes.

Alright, I'll give you that. He can do whatever the hell he wants with the movies.

What about the others? What about Timothy Zhan? What about K.W. Jeter? What about Kathy Tyers? What about Michael P. Kube McDowell? What about David Wolverton? What about Michael A Stackpole? What about Roger MacBride Allen? What about Karen Traviss?

What about the Games designers? The writers at Bioware, and Obsidian, and LucasArts, and a dozen other developers?

What about the TV show writers? What about the Comic Book writers?

Don't they own their ideas? Don't they have a right to their vision? They have created more in the Star Wars Universe than George Lucas ever did, and yet he holds himself aloft as the final arbiter of what is real and what isn't. Take a look at a Star Wars Chronology, how many events in that book did George Lucas create? Look in your Guide to Characters, how many of those did he create?

Lucas can make all that 'vanish' with a whim, with a word. He can eradicate the work of others, other people who own their work, who created more than him, created things that are popular and enduring...things like his original film.

Why does he get the right to decide on the validity of what other people have created? He got his money, he received his 'control' and 'direction' with many of those books, shows, comics, games and such.

Why does he own every idea of Star Wars? Even the ideas that other people have? Sounds a bit insane, doesn't it?

Go home and be a family man, Mr. Lucas.

teqrevisited:
To illustrate my point to him in a way I feel appropriate I would need hurl my original trilogy tapes at him so hard that the plastic would break.

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Don't do that. They'll be collectors items soon enough.

DVS BSTrD:
You made your universe, now live with it!
Oh right, it wasn't good enough for you.
I feel as if a million fanboys suddenly cried out in joy

The thing George Lucas never really appreciated was that after he released the Star Wars to the public, it wasn't just a part of his life anymore, it became a part of OUR lives. And as the obscene amounts of money he made off the original Trilogy showed, WE liked it just fine. So when you start going back and altering/ruining with other people's memories for your own selfish reasons, you shouldn't be surprised that we got A LITTLE UPSET ABOUT IT!

Dude, I think you're just a little too attached to the movies. You can still obtain unaltered editions.

""American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians."

The idea that American works of art belong to the public is bullshit. They belong to the artist. Though I do agree with this part, "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians"

At first i was like "Yea woo!" And then I read Lucas's motive and felt kinda sad. It is true that we, the fanbase, bash the crap out of him for every little change. It must be sort of hurtful when you get chastised for something you do to your creation. We probably should have cut him a little slack. Then again... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Good

Your new smaller projects, sounds fine..
Well no Howard the Duck please...

Maybe something outside your usual. Doesn't means one has to leave the basic story archetypes but.. another place with other influences.. can make it quite another movie. Maybe co-work with someone..

I think he'd gain a fair amount of respect back if he just released the original versions of the original trilogy (no CGI) on DVD and blu-ray...

WMDogma:
George Lucas is sick of hearing complaints from the Star Wars fanbase, so he's leaving big-budget filmmaking for smaller projects.

Coolness. This brightens an already pretty good day.

WMDogma:
"I'm retiring," Lucas stated in the the interview. "I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff."

Even better. Lucasarts has consistently proven to have been successful in spite of George Lucas' participation, and once he was declared a creative genius, those checks and balances crumbled like a sandcastle in front of a fire hose.

WMDogma:
This may also mean that Lucas will finally be done with creating any more adventures (good or bad) in Star Wars' far, far away galaxy, although Lucas sort of attributes this to the increasing backlash he's received from the Star Wars fan base over the 1997's special edition release of the original trilogy and every subsequent re-edit since. In explaining why, Lucas likened the negative response to the kind of demands he used to hear from major film studios, who in the past have forcibly re-edited his earlier films like THX 1138.

So we have them to thank for all the good things that Lucas tried to destroy in the original trilogy?

WMDogma:
Lucas feels his ability to re-imagine the Star Wars films into what he originally wanted them to be is being restricted by the criticism he's heard over the Star Wars films.

Oh, really?

So he's going to re-dub C-3PO to sound like "an oily, used-car salesman"?

And use CGI to turn Han and Chewie into a "a huge, green-skilled monster with no nose and large gills," and an eight-foot "huge, grey bushbaby with fierce baboon-like fangs"? Respectively, that is. Here's an artist's rendition of these two iconic characters if Lucas had his way:

Great stuff, eh?

WMDogma:
"Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Because he is terrible at his job. He lost the input from all the people who made the original movies successful, surrounded himself with sycophants who just agreed with his decisions and laughed at his jokes (seriously, watch any DVD extras: they're clearly just chuckling so they can keep their jobs), and sacrificed what shreds of integrity remained in favor of action figures and fanservice that backfired horribly.

WMDogma:
While it remains to be seen if Lucas' retirement sticks, his next film, Red Tails opens this Friday, and is a historical drama about the all-black fighter squadron known as the Tuskegee Airmen, who fought in the second World War.

Oh, joy. I'm upset about this for one simple reason: it will probably be a decent movie, and Lucas will get undeserved credit. And do you know why? It's because he doesn't have the absolute power over creative liberties that he had with the prequels. As soon as other people have say in the movies and he can't override them, it turns out good movies. That's how we got the original trilogy.

I'm happy he's finally gotten the hint, at least.

Treblaine:

And George doesn't fix the obvious things, like movie mistakes that are fine if the audience misses them until someone points them out:

But that is clearly not Lucas' aim nor intention, he's clearly just adding shit in for the sake of adding shit in with the most shallow thought to how it affects the films and lore as a whole.

I honestly see nothing wrong there I grew up my entire life wanting to force kick the shit out of people just like Luke Skywalker.

DVS BSTrD:
You made your universe, now live with it!
Oh right, it wasn't good enough for you.
I feel as if a million fanboys suddenly cried out in joy

The thing George Lucas never really appreciated was that after he released the Star Wars to the public, it wasn't just a part of his life anymore, it became a part of OUR lives. And as the obscene amounts of money he made off the original Trilogy showed, WE liked it just fine. So when you start going back and altering/ruining with other people's memories for your own selfish reasons, you shouldn't be surprised that we got A LITTLE UPSET ABOUT IT!

Actually, no, it still is his. He made it, and then he altered it later to fit with his original vision a bit better since the technology caught up. At least that's what the back of the box says, and if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

The man's full of shit anyway. He claims he planned this big epic story, but the original film wasn't even called Episode IV, anywhere.

I find it funny though that he's comparing big executives who insist he edit his opus for the sake of financial gain, with fans who insist he not edit his opus for the sake of artistic integrity.

Does anyone really care about Star Wars anyway? I know I don't.

RoBi3.0:

Treblaine:

I honestly see nothing wrong there I grew up my entire life wanting to force kick the shit out of people just like Luke Skywalker.

I don't see anything hugely wrong with it. I'm just saying that if Lucas was going to change anything then he could change this first.

Other directors have done the same thing, there was a minor error in James Cameron's Aliens where you could see beyond someone's gore prosethesis. You wouldn't notice it normally as your attention was on another part of the screen... until someone points it out then it's all you can see. He fixed that with a seamless digital edit, you couldn't find it even if you were looking for it.

That is a good fix, you are staying true to the vision you went out to create, what people originally paid ticket prices for.

But things like adding Jabba into a scene where he reverts to an early character plan where he is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from his character in Jedi. That's no good, that is conflicting with the vision of the films he and his co-creators made. All I see here is Lucas had a deleted scene but seems to be unable to square how it no longer fit anywhere in the film. He seemed to add it in just to say "hey, I added in a deleted scene" rather than have it actually improve anything.

George started Star Wars from Episode IV because he wanted better film technology for the subsequent prequels. Considering the original trilogy has been such a hit, and the restrictions the tech of the time, this opens the possibility that he was not as great a filmmaker as he believed himself to be and needed to be held back just the right amount to make the first films such hits.

OceanRunner:
George started Star Wars from Episode IV because he wanted better film technology for the subsequent prequels. Considering the original trilogy has been such a hit, and the restrictions the tech of the time, this opens the possibility that he was not as great a filmmaker as he believed himself to be and needed to be held back just the right amount to make the first films such hits.

Except when the first film was made he gave no indication it was 4th in the series.

In fact he didn't even give an indication it was the first in any sort of Trilogy. The original title of Star Wars A New Hope was simply "Star Wars" it was only the much later theatrical re-releases and VHS releases that retonned in the "Star Wars: A New Hope" and EVEN LATER after that when the "Episode IV" was introduced, way way after Return of The Jedi had been released.

This is not so unusual. The first Indiana Jones film was simply called "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with no "Indiana Jones and the... " prefix. That didn't appear till the VHS release after

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/1109/104594-raiders_of_the_lost_ark_poster.jpg

QUICK! This may be our only change! Remove the Blu-Ray change to Return of the Jedi before he violates his retirement like Spock violated his to be in Transformers 3!

But in all seriousness, while the Star Wars prequels were flawed I still like them. The six Star Wars films have a place in my heart and I thank George Lucas for that, but shouldn't he have realised the hate years ago? And in all honesty, why did he change Return of the Jedi like that? Most illogical, Mr Lucas.

I'm sorry to see you go George, I seriously am. Star Wars is my favorite film series of all time, but I just never understood the hate brought on by the changes and prequels. People will always whine that they changed what didn't need to be, but in the end, it didn't alter the experience for me. If a few cgi inserts and inserted lines ruined the other two hours of film for you, then I just pity you. In the end, it's his movies, his scripts, his ideas. Get the hell over it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get excited for the Episode I re-release (yeah, I liked that one.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here