New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

rolfwesselius:

dogstile:

rolfwesselius:

Don't worry I live in an underdeveloped dutch Christian village. This is my connection .
Maybe Uk internet is just bad?
We got really good internet Connections over here and it has never stopped working in the 8 months i have been using it.
Which gives me a moral dillema my internet is beast so always on is no problem for me. On a technical level at least on a moral one i just dont know the answer.

The highest i've gotten is 10mbps download. It just goes down a lot because they change up the infrastructure around here a lot and it causes a lot of faults within the network (negligent network engineers, I should know, I'm studying it).

I'm jealous of your town.

Well i live less than 100 meters from the broadcasting tower And the infrastructure in holland is really good because its so small and its affordable to place more towers.
And i got a VDSL connection because i got a hot deal from a provider.
A 100 channels for my tv phone calls and a 17 mb internet connection for the price of just the tv.
A Lan cable does not hurt either stops interference.
But still what do you reccomend on my moral dillema about always-on its kinda bugging me.

Morally I can only recommend what I think is right and just say that its unfair to treat legitimate, paying customer's like they're criminals. Especially seeing as pirates get a superior service, its no wonder piracy rates are rising. Hell, i'd even be tempted, if I didn't think i'd feel amazingly guilty for doing so.

(note to mods: I am not supporting piracy, I'm just stating I now know why they might be tempted)

They did it with C&C 4 and alienated the few fans the C&C had left and the game was cracked within a week. Outstanding EA just outstanding.

When I first read the heading:

Andy Chalk:
New SimCity Will Require Always-On Internet

I was already in a pissed "WTF?" mood. And then I read on:

...players will need to be connected to Origin when they play...

Grr...

...SimCity won't support mods at launch, although it's a possibility in the future.

Yarr...

But it's worth pointing out that the reason people are still playing SimCity 4 almost ten years later is because the modding community essentially re-created it and filled it with new content and fixed bugs and made it as much of a hobby as it is a game," he said. "We're very cognizant of that - we're not idiots."

[/Banging head on keyboard]

And then the only part of the article that made me happy:

How about an offline, single-player mode while you're at it? That'd be swell.

Putting in my second cent on this, while I'm sure that they thought that this would be a great idea (I remember the Will Wright interview when Sims 2000 came out) I am really not up for playing this game with other people, and if this is what the company is expecting of me, then they should not expect my money.

Worgen:
"hmm what can we do to mess with pc gamers... I know, lets copy what ubisoft has been doing, everyone loves that shit"
Fraken morons.

Buy it, crack it, use it, youtube it, gloat it.

That is my logic for showing developers how useless their anti-piracy measures are.

Aaand that's one sale less for EA. No buy from me. If you can't trust me to play the game offline I can't trust you with my money.

While my first reaction was "Oh boy, a whole not of needless whining about always on requirements. We're already always on people, get with it!, I don't really get the necessity of it for a Sim City game.

For Diablo, sure. It'd be too easy to cheat otherwise. But in Sim City? I never even considered wanting to play it in multi-player... And for this one, at least, it sounds like a poor excuse to add unneeded DRM.

Heh, topics like this should include simple yes/no polls with questions like "Do you support single player games requiring always-on Internet connection?".

I luckily have a pretty stable Internet connection, but I'm really against these decisions. I don't want to worry about my connection breaking (however unlikely it may be), and I shouldn't wonder if I can play physical copy of a game I bought when I go somewhere with unstable/no Internet connection.

Multiplayer city building? What idiots.

Welp, time to just start a new country in Sim City 4.

Let me correct the headline:

"New Sim City will require cracking."

And since you will be an outlaw anyway, might as well pirate! Smart move, EA.

Why do EA still bother? SC Societies was a failure.
I lost all faith in their ability to make a SC game after SC Societies.
They'll just dumb down the gameplay and make the graphics prettier. I'll stick with old SC4. The new restrictions are just the final insult.

is origin taxing on a computer? because I have a desktop and stable Internet (13 mbs download speed). How is it not like steam? (Apart from online mode) *hides behind flame shield*

It's not like we didn't see this coming as soon as the game was announced. I didn't allow myself to get any hopes up for even a second.

And the defense of Origin in the opening post is just sad. Journalists are following publishers right down into the cesspool.

Hey EA, why don't you ask Monte Christo how well the online-multiplayer city-builder Cities XL did for their 15-yr. old company...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Cristo_(company)

hmm ok ubisoft tried always on DRM..... Michael Pachter told Eurogamer that Ubisoft's "PC game sales are down 90% without a corresponding lift in console sales."

EA decides to introduce always on DRM after ubisoft announced always on DRM did that to their PC sales..

yes that pretty much sums up you are an idiot.

judging from the ubisoft experience doesnt this encourage people to pirate their games?

I paid for and kept every sim city game since I was a kid and before Maxis was bought by those bastards at EA. Yea, Fuck you EA.

The best playing experience will be for those who pirate it. Not a good business decision on their part.

Andy Chalk:
But this isn't a question of Origin, which I have no problem with, but of requiring an always-on connection.

Maybe it isn't an issue for you, but you aren't the only one who gets to define the issue. I have a solid internet connection, so that doesn't bother me. Forcing me to sign up for a service I have no interest in, however, does.

Also the lack of single-player. I really have no interest in multiplayer SimCity. I was so looking forward to a new SimCity. Also, no Mac version? That's an odd choice with Mac marketshare rising and an avid app-buying community on that platform.

neonit:
i remember that someone has already tried to make "multiplayer sim city". if i recall correctly it didnt last a year.
sure! go ahead! i see absolutely no way how this could POSSIBLY fail.....

nah, maybe it will be good who knows, i played sim city 2000, it was awesome. i played sim city 3000, it was better. i played sim city 4, it was better. i see a trend here you know? - still, we cant judge the game yet, so lets judge their stupid decisions.

One thing about your chart of progression you are forgetting, SimCity Societies sucked.

"We're aware of how people play our games, but to be honest, we think you're stupid and should play the game in the way we want you to. We'll consider your complaints and such things as "responsibility to the customer", but we can't really hear you that well all the way up on top of the mountains of cash we're raking in."

Everytime I start to get weak and think I might buy another EA title, something like this happens and reminds me why I should never ever give them money again.

EA? ruining something people liked?! NO------

oh well, so much for maybe getting back into sim city ....

oh, and by the way, stop griping

The people who are OK with always on drm are missing the point.

It is nobody's business but our own what we play.
It is nobody's business but our own when we play.
It is nobody's business but our own how long we play.

If they want to ask me to voluntarily give up some information for the purposes of making the games I enjoy better than that is fine.

No company that feels entitled to automatically get that information is getting my money.

Well, looks like another game that I would buy it it weren't for the DRM. I can see no reason for an always on connection for what has always been, and always will be played by me as, a single player game. Just like I don't participate in the online, social aspects of the newest Sims release, I have no interest in an online Sim City. So, that's two great franchises that I won't be buying, Diablo and now Sim City. A shame, given that I pretty much own every Sim game made by Maxis and EA. This will be the first one I won't touch.

I may have been able to stomach it being always online but requiring origin is going too far, origin will never befoul this system so welcome to my list of games I shall never pay for.

PH3NOmenon:
While my first reaction was "Oh boy, a whole not of needless whining about always on requirements. We're already always on people, get with it!, I don't really get the necessity of it for a Sim City game.

For Diablo, sure. It'd be too easy to cheat otherwise. But in Sim City? I never even considered wanting to play it in multi-player... And for this one, at least, it sounds like a poor excuse to add unneeded DRM.

I fully agree with this post. It will get compared with Diablo III a lot... but Diablo III seems to have more to do with WoW and it will feature real money transactions, this one? I don't see it being similar.

lacktheknack:

Looks like I'm sticking to Cities XL. Hooray for options!

How is that? I see it on Steam from time to time, and I haven't played a city simulator in years... could be fun.

Easton Dark:

lacktheknack:
Looks like I'm sticking to Cities XL. Hooray for options!

How is that? I see it on Steam from time to time, and I haven't played a city simulator in years... could be fun.

It's basically SimCity. Derivative? Yes, but it's now officially better than SimCity because of this news story.

I think it actually has more options and functions than SimCity 4, but I haven't played 4 so I'm not sure. (Could you make your own bus-routes in SimCity 4 and was there 360 degree rotation?)

weirdguy:
oh, and by the way, stop griping

Why should they stop griping about it because you have a worse connection than they do?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt still, but this kinda crushed all interest I've had.

1st the 2 different versions thing and now always on internet needed.

I >love< the idea of playing sync'd with friends, but sometimes an introverted dork wants to play by himself :(.

Great, another game I simply will not play due to the expectation of always on internet. Keep going computer companies. Keep making games that require always on internet and I will continue not buying them. I'll save myself the $60 and see a movie.

So it's basically SimCity the MMO? I'll grant them that's an interesting idea, although its not a game I'm the least bit interested in playing.

Andy Chalk:
But this isn't a question of Origin, which I have no problem with, but of requiring an always-on connection. If a game is going to dump me because my shitbag ISP pukes out on a near-daily basis, why am I going to spend money on it? Especially when I have zero intention of playing it online anyway.

I don't much care about SimCity, but I'm infuriated about Diablo 3, which I will not be buying because of the same idiotic requirement. It's interesting, though, that you don't hear anywhere near the same level of rage about Blizzard and Battle.net. Some people have legitimate, principled concerns about always-on DRM, but I think it's fair to say that others are a little more selective about where they point their anger.

It might be worth dropping a line to EA - a civil line - to protest this always-on nonsense and ask for the inclusion of a proper, offline single-player mode. It's still fairly early in the development process, so it might still be possible for minds to change. Worth a shot.

i agree with this. i really do love sim City. i own 3000, will be getting 4 soon (because i never got around to it.... and financial problems.... and 40k miniatures). but while i do enjoy multiplayer games, i adore many good ones, and love playing games with my friends, when i am incapable of playing it alone, this is when it becomes a problem.

i don't need this game. it's just a game. it could be fantastic, but if i cannot play it alone, as i always have, without an internet connection, which i all-too-often do not have, then it is a pass, because i can already get decades of fun from modded sim-city 4

to explain, i once played a friend's copy, which is why i know it is, to put it politely, ******* awesome, despite not owning it

While 90% of gamers might have access to constant internet, how about the 10% who don't. While I might be high balling the statistics, my point still stands. How about the Mountain Men who want to play god? They'll have to stick with some older game that doesn't require constant internet and that is a lost sale to EA.

Another issue this raises is that EA will use the lower than expected sales figures of this title as rationale for producing more cookie cutter FPS games which sell. I think they're hamstringing their own developers so they can point to this as an example of what happens when they create non mainstream titles

Evil Smurf:
is origin taxing on a computer? because I have a desktop and stable Internet (13 mbs download speed). How is it not like steam? (Apart from online mode) *hides behind flame shield*

Its very intensive on resources. It runs multiple programs 24/7 just so they know what kinds of computer you have without your permission.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here