Minecraft Creator Won't Support Windows 8

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I'm using the Windows 8 beta at the moment (dual-booted in Boot Camp on a Macbook Pro). Perhaps I'm not getting the full 'experience', as it's not my main OS (so I have no need to use things like Metro email apps etc.), it just seems like Windows 7 with an unnecessary barrier between you and the desktop. For PC users, that's the exact opposite of the promised 'streamlining'.

That said, quick-launch buttons on the Start screen, combined with fast boot times, make getting to games a fairly efficient process.

I am not able to fit anymore Nails into the proverbial coffin for windows 8.

I've never loved Notch (or hated him either), but I'm glad to say that I agree with him here. I am not expecting to like Windows 8, but I'll have to wait for it to be released to pass final judgement on it.

I'm so absolutely terrified of Windows 8 and yet, I have no idea what it is D:

DVS BSTrD:
They seem to agree that Window 8 provides an unpleasant vista into the future of PC gaming

ohohohoh! i see what you did there. classy ;)

to the OP: lets be honest. windows has always had its ups and down, it always will!
first you get a good operating system, then a bad one, then a good one. this has been happening since bygone ages.

most notable was XP ( good ) vista ( bad ) win7 ( excelent )

This OS seems to be a stepping stone into a series of gradual releases that accumulate into a completely closed system.

CAPTCHA: heated debate - No Thankyou.

tehweave:
Windows 7: Good.

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
I had something insane in my ear.

tehweave:
Don't they understand? This is the Windows formula. Good OS - Bad OS - Repeat.

Windows 3.1: Good.
Windows 95: Bad.
Windows 98: Good.
Windows ME: BAD.
Windows XP: Very good.
Windows Vista: Sweet jesus...
Windows 8...

Just sayin.

I have 7 now. Works damn well for me. Not switching.

You forgot Windows 2000 Professional. That is the OS I fell back on when Vista was released and it was awesome. It was better than XP in my opinion except for gaming.

OT- Ah, Notch. I'd like to introduce you to my good friend the DESKTOP. Which is in Windows 8. Notch, if you really hate windows with a passion and such, just switch to Linux and be done with it. I've used Windows 8 and it's actually pretty okay NOT counting the Metro UI. The only problem you'll have with it is the fact that if they try to make Minecraft a Metro app (no clue why in the first place), and even then, most of us computer users are not going to use the tablet interface as much as MS wants us to. And if you really need your Minecraft fix, I believe there's a way to play it in Linux with Wine or a VM.

Wait, I already heard this story... on this website. This is the same story!

Also, Notch isn't outspoken. He has legions of mindless fans, some on this very website, and is the biggest name in indie-ish games at the moment. He has quiet a bit of power and the ability to influence opinion.

I think Notch is often way off base with a lot of things he says, but he's right to be afraid of Windows 8. Not so much for what it is, but for what it obviously wants to become down the line. A closed, controlled platform that crushes the little guys and remove user options.

It's a shame that instead of trying to make the PC better at being a PC, they're trying to turn it into a giant iPhone.

Souplex:

tehweave:

Whats wrong with Windows 7? It's better then XP, and way better then Vista.

Fasckira:
A noble stand.

A noble temper tantrum is more like it. Notch is a huge drama queen with a huge audience.

I found it hilarious when Gabe Newell talked down about Windows 8 ruining the open nature of PC Gaming. Because it translated to:

"Hey Microsoft! Stop trying to put certification, DRM and moderation to the PC! That's MY job!"

Zachary Amaranth:

Fasckira:
A noble stand.

A noble temper tantrum is more like it. Notch is a huge drama queen with a huge audience.

It's going to be the same thing that every gamer issue is. Windows 8 is going to release, and the sky isn't going to fall. At least Notch talking down the increased moderation of Windows 8 is a little more acceptable than, say, Gabe Newell demonizing Microsoft bringing DRM and moderation to the PC when he made billions doing the exact same thing.

John the Gamer:
Isn't it Microsoft's tradition to screw up every other OS?

2000=Good, ME=Bad, XP=Good, Vista=Bad, Win7=Good, Win8=Bad

Well, more or less. I'm not an expert on such things. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is; NO ONE SHOULD BE SURPRISED. AT ALL.

Win95 = Good, 98+98SE = Good, ME = bad (understandably so, considering the circumstances) 2000 = Good, XP = Bad (good but is far too unreliable. XP SP3 is fine, but not good) Vista = Bad (but good with SP2) 7 = Good

No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to Windows 8

People still use XP, for heaven's sake. -_-

funny how notch thinks he can do anything about windows 8 running minecraft
that's really down to java support more than anything else

even if it scans for windows 8 you can still run it in a virtual windows 7 environment

for the record windows 8 runs in half the resource footprint, runs most programs windows 7 can and has a traditional desktop if you choose as-well as the tablet interface
it does not ruin gaming or computers
personally i'm looking forward to getting more use out of my touch pannel browsing screen
as for
"is windows 8 an upgrade?"
it's a matter of preference and how-much power your hardware has
if anything it improves the experiences of people with low end hardware, laptops and tablets
most of the casual gaming market ( who have a large overlap with notches player-base ) will notice a decent performance boost when using windows 8
all in all, it hurts nobody
it is completely optional and if you don't like it don't use it simple

so big puff of sensationalist air from notch as usual

I'm still on XP as i find its the best laid out, my sister has windows 7 and it just annoys the hell out of me when i'm at her house.

The Lugz:

even if it scans for windows 8 you can still run it in a virtual windows 7 environment

for the record windows 8 runs in half the resource footprint, runs most programs windows 7 can and has a traditional desktop if you choose as-well as the tablet interface
personally i'm looking forward to getting more use out of my touch pannel browsing screen
as for
if anything it improves the experiences of people with low end hardware, laptops and tablets
most of the casual gaming market ( who have a large overlap with notches player-base ) will notice a decent performance boost when using windows 8

This.
I'm using Windows 8 consumer preview and minecraft ran just fine for me. So this thread is full of fail and conspiracy. So far i've yet to encounter any of the things people are complaining about regarding windows 8 and i've been using it for about 2 months. The metro screen is more or less optional and just for lulz i put some of my games on it if i know what i'm going to be doing the second i turn my computer on.

Fasckira:

Vivi22:

Fasckira:
I dont understand why hes kicking off about this tbh, really dont think introducing a form of app security into the OS is that bad a thing. Admittedly I dont use many non-"big" apps though.

I don't think it's just adding app security though. Admittedly I haven't looked into things too much, but it does sound like having the Windows Store bundled in there gives them an unfair advantage over competitors, and it certainly seems like the potential is there for Microsoft to tighten the reigns on the OS if they chose and start kicking big players off or at least making their lives hell. Not saying they would, but having the ability to is a frightening prospect.

Microsoft have been burned too many times on the old monopoly front though, I think it'd be pretty stupid of them to try it again... but then again, you never know to be honest. You're 100% right though, if they start all locking people in like a year after release when people are sitting on 8, things are going to get messy.

If anything I cant help but feel Notch has been a bit ungrateful here; MS bent over backwards to ensure Minecraft got onto Live (essentially the same thing Windows 8 will be touting), even giving him all that 0-day sales information and stuff. Here they've gone out their way to say, "Look mate, we're doing this on 8 too, would you like to set up getting it approved?" and hes suddenly too good for Microsoft now? Meh.

you can be grateful and still stuck to your guns. Just because Microsoft rendered aid notch is indebted to allow his product to work on an OS he has some rather strong negative views on?

DeadpoolPwnz:

The Lugz:

as for

This.
I'm using Windows 8 consumer preview and minecraft ran just fine for me. So this thread is full of fail and conspiracy. So far i've yet to encounter any of the things people are complaining about regarding windows 8 and i've been using it for about 2 months. The metro screen is more or less optional and just for lulz i put some of my games on it if i know what i'm going to be doing the second i turn my computer on.

It's not about if Minecraft will run in Windows 8, it's about certification. It's about Microsoft trying to get people to certify software on Windows because it's the first step to becoming a closed OS.

silverbullet1989:
would someone mind explaining to me why windows 8 is going to be so bad? not that im interested in switching over to it, windows 7 is just too good in my opinion. Are microsoft trying to make windows 8 locked down like xbox live?

My friend explained it. He's a programer, and in trying to make something work for Windows 8, something would take 75 lines of code instead of 2. Even if it's something the end-user will never see, the cost of 40 times the amount of work to develop a program is going to hurt us.

Edit: I found the chat log

9:56 PM Him: I love jumping between win 7 and 8.
9:57 PM me: night and day difference?
Him: Yeah, one blows chunks, and the other doesn't.
Can you guess which?
me: now, are you speaking as a programer or a user?
9:58 PM from what I've heard, being a prgramer in 8 is far worse than being a user.
Him: Yes, yes it is.
That's where all of my headaches have come from over the past two days.
9:59 PM Something that used to take 3 lines of code, now takes 75 lines of code.
me: what
the
fusk
*fuck
10:00 PM I'd ask why, but you'd have to explain a lot to me I'm sure.
It's no wonder why Gabe wants to move to Linux
10:01 PM Him: Yeah
me: probably cheaper in the long run
10:03 PM Him: Remind me to tell you about next time were face to face.
me: sure
10:06 PM Him: Seriously, turning a byte array into a bitmap should be one of the easiest things to do.

I don't pretend to know what he's talking about exactly, but that was how the conversation went.

Well, I never intended to change from Windows 7, anyway. I feel like it's the best OS Microsoft's ever made. I'm just hoping they don't drop support for it too quickly.

I'm probably going to skip Windows 8 like I did Vista. I see no real reason to upgrade quite yet.

The way I see it Windows 8 will happen, it will appeal to it's target audience of people who just want something that works and looks nice that they don't have to think about (i.e. most people.) the rest of us will refuse to upgrade, somewhere down the line the developer herders like Gabe and possibly Notch will switch over to developing for Linux, most of us will switch because Linux is getting more attention as a serious gaming platform and eventually other developers will have to accommodate Linux because hopefully Steam will be gearing towards it.

Korten12:

Souplex:

tehweave:

Windows 7 is better than Windows XP

I'm sorry, it sounded like you said that Windows 7 was better than Windows XP,even though XP is the greatest OS ever to exist, or better than any Windows OS for that matter.
But that can't be right, because 7 is the biggest piece of shit I have ever had the displeasure of using.
If I could get away with Vista, I would go back to that, since XP gone.
7 is basically Microsoft's attempt to make a Mac.
It's less terrible than a Mac by virtue of being made by people who know how to do things, but it's still terrible.
It's like that story the MovieBlob keeps referring to where the world class chef found he simply couldn't perfectly replicate a Big Mac.
As far as I can tell from my experience with Vista, it was simply the target of a massive smear-campaign.

silverbullet1989:
would someone mind explaining to me why windows 8 is going to be so bad? not that im interested in switching over to it, windows 7 is just too good in my opinion. Are microsoft trying to make windows 8 locked down like xbox live?

essentially yes. It's going to be run like Apple's OS where EVERY THING has to go through an approval process that's costly and takes time. It would essentially eliminate indie games and probably create a "console war" environment between MACs and PCs.

Quaxar:
I don't even know what's so bad about Win 8 that the gaming industry would have concerns. I just saw the desktop tablet layout start screen and knew I wasn't gonna get this.

Alot of games won't work with windows 8, most of the being indie games.

This is the next OS I will be skipping, same as Vista. This was just an unnecessary OS from Microsoft. Hopefully this one will go down like a flaming bag of shit and they'll be forced to either produce an OS specifically for desktops/laptops as expected or they'll at least remove the touch interface that is causing so much disdain.

Quaxar:
I don't even know what's so bad about Win 8 that the gaming industry would have concerns. I just saw the desktop tablet layout start screen and knew I wasn't gonna get this.

Win 8 is not the actual problem. MS is trying to mimic apple, iTunes->AppStore and the Mac App Store.

Apple takes a 30% cut of everything. MS wants the only apps to be installed on any Windows 8 system to only come from their walled garden. Apple gets away with it and gets all the press with happy, happy customers. MS has an open OS and gets crapped on by everybody. So, let's copy apple and get 30% of all the revenue. And They charge tens of thousands of $$$$ to verify one app. Each time its gets released. The same is true on the Xbox, first update is free and all others are $40k. That isn't even a percentage they keep it all. Now they want 30% of the sale price of each app in addition to the verification fees.

MS Windows, all of them, are huge lumbering software stacks that were at least open. You could even develop with other peoples tools and release products on various releases. If you wanted the cute little windows sticker on the front of the box then you needed to pay the extra dollars for it. If you are just a little developer whose entire yearly income is under $50k, well, MS is literally eating your lunch, dinner and car payment.

The tablet UI is a joke. To me, it looks like it comes from the Xbox interface and that is a significantly broken piece of UI. Pay a fee, then get ads forced on you and they hammer your network download cap constantly. For that you paid money and MS gets ad money for all those captive eyeballs.

Final point is MS Windows, for all its faults, was open.
Apple and all of its products are walled gardens.
MS wants 30% of everything that runs on Win8.
That is going to hurt everybody but Microsoft.

Fasckira:
If anything I cant help but feel Notch has been a bit ungrateful here; MS bent over backwards to ensure Minecraft got onto Live (essentially the same thing Windows 8 will be touting), even giving him all that 0-day sales information and stuff. Here they've gone out their way to say, "Look mate, we're doing this on 8 too, would you like to set up getting it approved?" and hes suddenly too good for Microsoft now? Meh.

What Microsoft did was see a huge pile of guaranteed cash and made an exception to their idiotic fucking policies to accommodate for that pile of cash. That's it. Talking about "bending over backwards" as if - a, it was at all hard for them to do, and b, they didn't stand to gain a lot of greens from it - is ludicrous.

Second, the Xbox and the PC are entirely different platforms and even correspond to somewhat different markets. "Too good" for one might not mean too good for another, for a myriad of reasons stemming from these two facts.

Keep in mind that I have little more than contempt for Notch for giving top priority to cashing in from another market instead of improving the maddeningly slow development of Minecraft, but seriously, this is nonsense.

Souplex:

Korten12:

Souplex:

Windows 7 is better than Windows XP

I'm sorry, it sounded like you said that Windows 7 was better than Windows XP,even though XP is the greatest OS ever to exist, or better than any Windows OS for that matter.
But that can't be right, because 7 is the biggest piece of shit I have ever had the displeasure of using.
If I could get away with Vista, I would go back to that, since XP gone.
7 is basically Microsoft's attempt to make a Mac.
It's less terrible than a Mac by virtue of being made by people who know how to do things, but it's still terrible.
It's like that story the MovieBlob keeps referring to where the world class chef found he simply couldn't perfectly replicate a Big Mac.
As far as I can tell from my experience with Vista, it was simply the target of a massive smear-campaign.

Well you're in a small minority because the majority of Win 7 users think it's better then XP. :/ I have yet to see someone go to Win 7 and then go back to XP.

Mr.K.:

silverbullet1989:
Are microsoft trying to make windows 8 locked down like xbox live?

Essentially yes, but they aren't complete idiots so W8 will only come with a built in DRM/distribution service but not prevent you from using others, right now they want to get all possible devs on board so they will have the majority of software under their heel and people would simply not go elsewhere.
Then you can imagine they can start charging some subscription and certification fees, ultimately making it a MS exclusive platform where they take a cut on everything.

But with them getting ass whipped over just the built in browser I imagine this will cost them another few billion in court.

Somebody's paranoid....

I think Notch is a whiny bitch in this.

XP and 7 are sort of tied in my mind. XP holds quite a lot of nostalgia for me because I used it from shortly after launch day until long after 7 had come out. I have enjoyed 7 so far, it's been quite stable and I haven't had many huge glaring problems (knock on wood) in the ~2 years I've had this machine.

I won't be getting 8, despite the desktop option. I'm quite leery of the apple-shaped direction Microsoft is taking. Yes, I know it's a company, and in our capitalist system they're free to make whatever stupid decisions they want with their product as long as it's mostly legal. And in our capitalist system I'm free to not buy their stuff until they shape the hell up.

Jesus... People really need to stop whining about Windows 8. I've been using it for a while now through my Dreamspark Premium license, and it is absolutely excellent. The decision MS has made to integrate their new tablet/phone platform with their already existing OS is the only right decision they could possibly have made.

It's better for the developers and more importantly, it is better for the end-users.

Supertegwyn:
Somebody's paranoid....

I think Notch is a whiny bitch in this.

So you have nothing to contribute, but still decided to make some noise with that very limited vocabulary.
I'm glad we keep people like you around...

so let me get this right, the fat guy sells his game on xbox, then tries to preach how he is standing up for the internet (And yes, it comes off as him preaching he is standing up for the internet by saying if he does not support it maybe people wont use it) by not doing this? good lord this guy is like a boomerang.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here