Astronomers Discover Planet Made Out of Diamond

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

....But who cares about a planet of diamonds...when humans actually can synthetically forge the perfect diamond?
Seriously we use a ton of synthetic diamonds for industry.

Thank GOD. This might literally be the only thing that could convince the federal government to give NASA some actual funding for once.

OlasDAlmighty:
Thank GOD. This might literally be the only thing that could convince the federal government to give NASA some actual funding for once.

That or a planet made entirely of Petroleum. BP would have their own space program faster than you could say "Gulf of Mexico".

What's next? a planet made of out rubies?

solid titanium?

stained glass?

Gold?

Emeralds?

rejected scripts written by George Lucas?

If there were gold bars stacked up on the moon it would cost more to get there and bring them back than the worth of the gold bars.

I assume a similar thing applies here.

Notsomuch:
Well, it's not unobtainium, but let's go anyway.

but are there any natives to slaughter?

Omega500:

I wonder if there is a planet out there made of gold. gold looks better than diamonds anyway.

The problem is that if we ever travel the stars, we'll find something that is actually rare and gold will be a commonplace worthless trinket.

I'm glad I found this clip from Star Trek:DS9. It fits what I was thinking perfectly, and it is one of my favorite scenes in the series.

Haven't we found planets like this before? I know it says 2011 but I swear I heard of diamond planets well before that.

So what? most of the diamonds we got now are used for trivial useless things. we dont need more.

Mr.PlanetEater:

OlasDAlmighty:

That or a planet made entirely of Petroleum. BP would have their own space program faster than you could say "Gulf of Mexico".

If that was true, then they woudl be flying there for Helium3 alerady.

I guess the miners on that planned would get tanned pretty quickly...

I WOULD propose we call it Blingworld, just 'cause, but first I have a question.

...YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE OF THESE THINGS?!

Doesn't diamonds require coal and isn't coal made from dead trees and stuff? Does that mean there was life on that planet?

I looked at the image before I saw the title & I thought this was going to be about Space Coconuts.

Trippy Turtle:
Doesn't diamonds require coal and isn't coal made from dead trees and stuff? Does that mean there was life on that planet?

Well, it just needs highly pressurized Carbon, which is a rather common element in the universe.

O.T It's actually cool, looks like a sci-fi world you'd read or see in a movie :p.

Now we've figured out how to win the alliance of the Equestrians. Since many ponies(like rarity) are obsessed with diamonds, we can use this resource to win their allegiance.

Also, according to data in the show(collected from when Twilight Sparkle is informing rarity about the number of stars in Orion's belt), it seems that Orion's belt is visible from their planet, meaning they must be between our star and the three stars making up the belt. So either the star has formed early enough that it's light hasn't reached us, or it *might* be Saif Al Jabbar, but that's unlikely being as how Alnitak(closest star in the belt) is around 700 LY away, whereas Saif is around 650 LY, thus meaning that the stars would likely not be lined up as well, meaning that twilight sparkle referring to them as Orion's "belt" would be incorrect.

Further evidence of the visibility of Orion's belt from Equestria comes from the episode "It's About Time", in which Twilight Sparkle mentions the horsehead nebula. The horsehead nebula makes up a large portion of the constellation Orion, including some of the belt.

P.S. I think that this post is intolerably nerdy even as far as The Escapist can handle. And don't worry, I realize the show is a work of fiction. Nothing here is to be taken seriously.

You know, you don't need to go that far to find diamond planets.
Uranus and Neptune are both believed to have icebergs of diamonds floating around on theirs sea of gases near its cores.
All it would take is to make something strong enough to survive the crazy pressures and mad temperatures the giant gas planets usually possess. Looking on that side, mr. "55 Cancri e" might be a better option though.

Can we stop using Fahrenheit in these posts? It's pretty much only used by one certain backwards country. I know converters are free, but nobody should have to use one as every country in the world uses Celsius.

It's like typing out all the Escapist news posts in Old Latin only... look up a translator or be one of the very few that know what it says, otherwise it's just worthless.

I assume I've been ninja'ed in this, but you all know diamonds are very common these days, right? They haven't been rare for like 200 years.

The Diamond realm!

Now all we need to do is make a portal frame out of solid Diamond and ignite it with a Diamond Sword enchanted with Fire Aspect or something else ridiculously convoluted.
Then we'll be the king of everything.

But yeah, unless we're in Minecraft, I don't think extracting those are going to be quite so easy. Or even possible for the foreseeable future. Guess we'll be sticking with our Earth diamonds. Considering their hardness-to-weight ratio, they're still useful rocks though.

Wow, we could make so many high quality drills for cheap with that.

Omega500:
I was thinking that was common knowledge.
I wonder if there is a planet out there made of gold. gold looks better than diamonds anyway.

OT: I'm really curious, can diamond melt?

I'd like to see that, then I'd like to see a slinky go down MT. Everest.

A planet entirely made of Diamonds? Uh-oh. No one tell Rarit-

Too late...

Wakikifudge:
Haven't we found planets like this before? I know it says 2011 but I swear I heard of diamond planets well before that.

They have been theorized for ages, and according to data we have now they are actually extremely common.

To the point where steel is far more rare than diamond.

Dire Sloth:
Did you just happen to know all that??? 'Cause wow.

Pretty sure he just read the Cracked article on it and helpfully forgot to provide a link in order to seem more knowledgeable.

Trippy Turtle:

The derp is strong with this one.

You know we can make synthetic diamonds as good as natural ones right?

Aha! Find me a planet made of gold, and we can make the mother of all engagement rings.

tottally related. somehow. at least in my mind.

Im smiling right now knowing that at this very moment thousands of idiots are paying a fortune to "extraterrestrial real estate" for legally worthless certificates of ownership for plots of the "money planet".

Kopikatsu:

They wouldn't. Diamonds are actually already extremely common on Earth. The perception that they're rare and therefore should be valuable is partially because that was true in the 19th century when mining and (Can't think of the word for it...searching for mineral deposits) weren't good enough to mine a significant amount of diamond. But they are now. Once diamonds started to become really common, the largest of the diamond companies banded together and created De Beers Jewelers, forming a monopoly over the diamond market and allowing them to control the prices. Then they went and advertised diamonds as being rare and very valuable, when in reality, they're almost worthless.

Funfact: Despite being based in the US, Rhodes, Beit, and Rothschild (The founders of De Beers) refused to set food on US soil for fear of being arrested as soon as their plane touched down because of how blatantly illegal what they were doing was. They also had a few more controversies surrounding them, like refusing to help the WW2 war effort (Which isn't supposed to be optional)

Do you happen to have an estimate on how much cheaper they would be if DeBeers weren't artificially inflating the price (by controlling supply, right?)? I knew they were exaggerating the value of diamonds, but I didn't think diamonds were a dime a dozen or anything.

Apparently it'll be a tad trickier for the diamond industry to control scarcity if we ever get to that planet.

Marter:

Now if only we could get there. Then jewelry prices would come way down.

According to someone below me, jewelry prices wouldn't fall. So I guess there's that.

Yeah, the price of diamonds is based more on artificial scaricity, so they'd probably just find a way to lock down the prices, even if it was cheap to travel there.

Case in point: In the 80s, record manufacturers were pissed off that certain countries like the US could undercut their distibutors by ordering in bulk from, say, South America. So what did they do? They lobbied for additional tariffs. Now, of course, we have region locking.

So even if the diamonds were the right grade and the cost of shipping them from 40 ly away was reasonable, they'd campaign to levy some "space tax" on diamonds not mined on Earth. For...Safety reasons or something.

dyre:

Kopikatsu:

They wouldn't. Diamonds are actually already extremely common on Earth. The perception that they're rare and therefore should be valuable is partially because that was true in the 19th century when mining and (Can't think of the word for it...searching for mineral deposits) weren't good enough to mine a significant amount of diamond. But they are now. Once diamonds started to become really common, the largest of the diamond companies banded together and created De Beers Jewelers, forming a monopoly over the diamond market and allowing them to control the prices. Then they went and advertised diamonds as being rare and very valuable, when in reality, they're almost worthless.

Funfact: Despite being based in the US, Rhodes, Beit, and Rothschild (The founders of De Beers) refused to set food on US soil for fear of being arrested as soon as their plane touched down because of how blatantly illegal what they were doing was. They also had a few more controversies surrounding them, like refusing to help the WW2 war effort (Which isn't supposed to be optional)

Do you happen to have an estimate on how much cheaper they would be if DeBeers weren't artificially inflating the price (by controlling supply, right?)? I knew they were exaggerating the value of diamonds, but I didn't think diamonds were a dime a dozen or anything.

I don't know the true value, but I do know of a good comparison. Silicon Carbide (Moissanite) is superior to Diamonds in almost every way. It's actually rare (But can be and is synthesized to a higher quality than synthetic diamonds are), almost as hard as a diamond, has a higher rate of refraction compared to a diamond (Which means that it shines brighter), has greater luster, and has more than twice the amount of dispersion that diamonds do. But even so, a nice quality 1 Carat Diamond would set you back about $6000~. A nice quality 1 Carat Moissanite gem would cost about $500.

The reason I know most of this is because I had a friend who was a jeweler. He's in jail now for fraud though, because when people brought jewelery to him (To get it refitted or whatever else), he'd replace the gemstones with cheap knockoffs. (Not really something I knew he was doing until he was arrested for it, though).

Edit: Additional benefit. Buying Moissanite doesn't subsidize African warlords ('Cause a lot of the diamond mines are in Africa, where the local warlords have the people under their control mine it out). A two thirds of all diamonds mined come from Africa, so yeah.

Kopikatsu:

dyre:

Kopikatsu:

I don't know the true value, but I do know of a good comparison. Silicon Carbide (Moissanite) is superior to Diamonds in almost every way. It's actually rare (But can be and is synthesized to a higher quality than synthetic diamonds are), almost as hard as a diamond, has a higher rate of refraction compared to a diamond (Which means that it shines brighter), has greater luster, and has more than twice the amount of dispersion that diamonds do. But even so, a nice quality 1 Carat Diamond would set you back about $6000~. A nice quality 1 Carat Moissanite gem would cost about $500.

The reason I know most of this is because I had a friend who was a jeweler. He's in jail now for fraud though, because when people brought jewelery to him (To get it refitted or whatever else), he'd replace the gemstones with cheap knockoffs. (Not really something I knew he was doing until he was arrested for it, though).

Edit: Additional benefit. Buying Moissanite doesn't subsidize African warlords ('Cause a lot of the diamond mines are in Africa, where the local warlords have the people under their control mine it out). A two thirds of all diamonds mined come from Africa, so yeah.

lulz, I knew about the African warlords thing. But I wonder, how much could DeBeers really be paying those guys if diamonds are so common anyway? Depends on how secure their monopoly is, I guess.

Anyway, that's really interesting. Thanks for the information.

Kopikatsu:
(Can't think of the word for it...searching for mineral deposits)

Prospecting?

But yeah, well, a planet made out of carbon formation, big deal I say. Diamonds are overhyped, really. Besides, their practical use beats their vanity use anyway.

Pssh, that's nothing. My manor is made out of diamonds.

Oh, wait. That's in Minecraft.

...So there's a Minecraft planet?!

I'm so confused right now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook