Amazing Spider-Man Ends With Issue #700

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
The story sounds ridiculous, like a soap opera that's taken some bad acid,

This is pretty dead accurate.

I think the main problem here is the permanency. Peter Parker is DEAD now. I know comics love to pull insane resurrections, but HOW DO YOU back out of this one?

Are you kidding me? The seeds for Peter returning are all right there, with the whole latent memory thing. If not for the whole "number reboot" nonsense, which they've also done multiple times, this would not have raised any eyebrows and it would be seen as the usual 6 issues-long storyline. Doc Ock will be Spidey for a while, he'll realize that with great power comes great responsibility, he will gradually revert back to Peter, both personalities will have some form of metaphisical fight and depending on how well readers have been reacting to the whole Ock as Spidey thing they'll make the resulting character either fully Peter Parker or some edgier, "it's a mix of both" kind of deal.

This is why I no longer bother with monthlies, after a few decades of this nonsense you see the stunt twists coming a mile away...

matthew_lane:

Zeke63:

Baron von Blitztank:
I doubt this is gonna last. Worst case scenario is that Doctor Octopus will have the mantle for a year at most but then Peter Parker is gonna be back in the costume and trading Yo Mamma slurs with Deadpool as he used to.

What is this whole Marvel NOW! thing anyway? The title sounds really stupid.

Marvel Now is marvel swapping all of its authors and artists onto new and different titles along with a renumbering/new books all together in an effort to make their line more compelling. Since the renumbering isn't really a reboot but a move meant to speed things along in new directions, the books, along for other reasons, have been really good so far.
I'd recommend Uncanny Avengers, All New X-Men, Thor (thought I'd never recommend a thor book lol), and Avengers

Dude, are you kidding? Marvel NOW has been a piss poor collection of books devoid of content. If one is going to have a creative relaunch you kind of expect it to contain two things: Some sort of Relaunch & some level of Creativity. Marvel NOW is nothing more then a rehash of the worst aspects of Marvel comics, a remix of the last decades shittyness, concentrated into a single PR stunt.

Other then the fact that not a single one of these books has any sort of story pitch, they are all completely insipid. There isn't a single new concept, or even a concept that wasn't being used right before the relaunch in the entire line-up.

Heck i could pitch a better book line up then Marvel NOW has. Heck, you want to know what a real comic book relaunch looks like, take a look at what DC did in 2006 with "1 year later." It actually progressed the story, with some decent artwork... The exact opposite of what Marvel NOW is.

Most of the marvel now books meet your two criterion for a so called "creative relaunch." Admittedly a lot of them have fallen short, but I don't think you should just outright dimiss marvel now as a whole. Uncanny Avengers is no rehash really, it's pretty progressive in terms of moving the plot forward. And Hickman's avengers just seems like it's gonna be great. And dude Bendis on X-men is great in terms of creativity and new ideas, not to mention further developing characters like cyclops, emma frost, and magneto in new ways.

just gonna go out on a limb, but from the nature of your attack being on marvel as a whole and your promotion of one year later, might your distaste be somewhat influenced by a preference for DC? No offense intended btw, it's just i'd prefer criticism of marvel now to be more nuanced than utter dismissal

Noelveiga:

lacktheknack:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
The story sounds ridiculous, like a soap opera that's taken some bad acid,

This is pretty dead accurate.

I think the main problem here is the permanency. Peter Parker is DEAD now. I know comics love to pull insane resurrections, but HOW DO YOU back out of this one?

Are you kidding me? The seeds for Peter returning are all right there, with the whole latent memory thing. If not for the whole "number reboot" nonsense, which they've also done multiple times, this would not have raised any eyebrows and it would be seen as the usual 6 issues-long storyline. Doc Ock will be Spidey for a while, he'll realize that with great power comes great responsibility, he will gradually revert back to Peter, both personalities will have some form of metaphisical fight and depending on how well readers have been reacting to the whole Ock as Spidey thing they'll make the resulting character either fully Peter Parker or some edgier, "it's a mix of both" kind of deal.

This is why I no longer bother with monthlies, after a few decades of this nonsense you see the stunt twists coming a mile away...

It might still be fun, even knowing Pete will return, to see how Ok goes about things though with other characters and besides even when peter returns Oks going to have changed his position in the Marvel U a lot I figure. I mean they've already teased him being fired from the avengers. But ya I stopped with monthlies too just get tpbs or other collections.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here