Microsoft Increasing Investment in Xbox Live Ads

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Increasing Investment in Xbox Live Ads

Good levels of interaction with NUads means users can "expect more investment" in video advertising.

NUads, those interactive commercials for Xbox LIVE, has finished its first wave of advertising spots in the US, Canada and the United Kingdom. According to Microsoft, the "double-digit engagement results" have been positive for advertisers, and it looks like Xbox LIVE users can expect even more video ads on the paid service.

A press release issued from the company announced that 37% of viewers interacted with NUads, and 71% of those viewers voted in the polls for each advertisement. Several advertisers, including Subway and Toyota, bought into the initial group of interactive commercial spots, which were introduced in fall of 2012.

"These results show that NUads is a real breakthrough in TV advertising," said Ross Honey, general manager of Xbox LIVE Entertainment and Advertising. "You can expect more investment from us when it comes to this new ad format and video advertising in general."

The advertisers were certainly pleased with the results. Dionne Colvin, national media manager for Toyota Motor Sales USA, said that "the results exceeded our expectations". Kathleen Bell, director of Marketing for Subway Restaurants in Canada, offered similar praise, saying that "we're thrilled with the results of our first NUads experience".

Source: Microsoft News Center

Glad I don't pay for that shit.

Really. Really? Someone please remind me why I'm a gold member?

Cyrus Hanley:
Glad I don't pay for that shit.

Me too. Ads are getting more and more obtrusive.

So, when will Xbox Live Platinum come out offering Gold but ad-free for 45pa?

I hate adverts if they're for anything but games on my dashboard. My 3mbps broadband is no fan of the video advert tiles either. How do I disable that shit? I'm paying money here to be fucked over.

Go fuck yourself Microsoft, you money scrounging dirtbags.

The wonderous glory of paying to see ads and using you own internet that is Xbox Live!
How do they even get away with this?

Dammit, I wish this shit would be avoidable for gold members, first we have to pay to play online, now we have ads to deal with?

Maybe it's time to stop going gold, I don't play online enough for it to be worth it anymore.

I'll keep on using PSN, thanks.

Its free, works every bit as well, and the ads are only there if you go looking for them.. and even then only sometimes.

cahtush:

How do they even get away with this?

Because there are millions of people out there stupid enough to pay for it or apathetic enough not to care about it. Just look a few posts above yours for one of those people....

Well I certainly wont be paying for XBL again, that's for sure.

Oh my god, the people in this video.
"New and exciting ways to connect with our customers", how about I show you "new and exciting ways" to connect with my dick.
As for microsfts "service", good job enabling them to do this, everyone who paid for xbox live.
Enjoy your "quality".

Does that mean the more ads means no more paying for Xbox live? hopeful im hopeful. (probably totally off).

The decision whether or not to renew my Xbox LIVE Gold this month just got much easier.

And people ask me why I don't own an Xbox.

Now I feel better. Stuff you Microsoft and may you rot in a cesspit.

Ok Jackasses (at MS), if you are going to throw ads at me I am going to be getting Gold for free from now on, riiiight?

This is bizzaro world where the free services are free and the paid for services are funded by advertising.

Also double digit interactivity?? You mean 11 people actually did it?! =D

Finally the tone of this is 'well done you played nice with our ads, as a reward we'll give you MORE ads!' Congratulations Xbox gamers, MS loves you

josemlopes:
Who gives a fuck!?

A lot of people, particularly considering that many pay for Gold service and yet still get ads. Not even sure how Microsoft can justify such stupidity but they only made it worse now.

If I paid for an online service, I certainly don't want ads everywhere. Thankfully PSN has the right idea.

On a related topic, I love the current dashboard. Tiny little area devoted to whatever game I've put into my console (which, I might add, is the only real use that I have for my console), MASSIVE area telling me to connect to Xbox Live. And if I connect? Ads all over the place, and that same space is now telling me to go Gold. And, from what I hear, that space becomes a permanent advert space if I do go Gold...

So... remind me who the Xbox Dashboard is designed for again? Me, the end-user, or the advertisers?

Johnny Wishbone:
Just look a few posts above yours for one of those people....

Now he can look for one more below.

OT:I stopped paying for XBox Live 2 years ago or just before adds started appearing and have seen absolutely no reason to return... in fact every time the Escapist publishes a new article on the service I count another reason to avoid it like the plague.

redknightalex:

josemlopes:
Who gives a fuck!?

A lot of people, particularly considering that many pay for Gold service and yet still get ads. Not even sure how Microsoft can justify such stupidity but they only made it worse now.

If I paid for an online service, I certainly don't want ads everywhere. Thankfully PSN has the right idea.

What I mean (and now I see that a lot more people didnt get the right idea of what I said but I guess that was my fault) is that after watching that video all I want to do is scream "Who gives a fuck!?" at those guys that think they are being progressive with this bullshit ads when no one gives a fuck to even pay attention to advertising.

Basicly it should be removed because no ones gives a fuck about the advertising that is there, that is what I meant.

(and why did you all think that I was cool with this, who in their right mind is cool with this?)

CAPTCHA: way to go donny!
I guess we have to blame someone called donny

Until November, I was a Gold member. The ad-littered Xbox menu factored into my decision. Every time I accidentally clicked on an ad instead of playing a game or dvd, I was irritated. Eventually it added up to hating the service. And since I basically used the Xbox as a Netflix machine, I just decided my money was better spent elsewhere.

After reading some user posts, I kind of wanted to defend the idea of ads as inevitable. Basically as the cable tv method crossing into the 'home entertainment'/gaming sphere. But it's really not the same thing. The Xbox issue is closer to mobile apps than tv, only mobile apps just pair advertising with apps until you pay them to stop. And without that option, the only way to make them stop is to stop giving them your money. But every hardcore Xbox gamer I've known would sooner go without food for a week or two than let their membership lapse.

The real question you need to ask is this: when will the Xbox method infect the Windows OS? Or the Android OS? Because that's essentially what Xbox has done...fed ads directly through the operating system of your Xbox.

Suddenly I feel a lot happier I cancelled my live subscription renewal. Xbox live isn't a freaking TV station, it's supposed to be a means to play online games.

Between microsoft pulling shit like this and sony's horrible business practices, i'm thinking of sticking to WiiU and PC next gen. The only thing deterring me is that dark souls 2 may not come out for PC.

Funny how all their competitors have online services without the adds and for free, while Xbox users PAY to see ads.

Great more forced adds on Xbox live to use up bandwidth/data caps on a paid service, while PSN a free service with NO adds.

Why do people pay for Xbox live again?

Re: Everybody

If it bothers you this much (and escalating ads on a paid service should bother you), maybe cancel your XBL subscription?
Seriously, being angry doesn't stop Microsoft from making a fortune on it, especially when you continue to pay them to do it

Burst6:
Between microsoft pulling shit like this and sony's horrible business practices, i'm thinking of sticking to WiiU and PC next gen. The only thing deterring me is that dark souls 2 may not come out for PC.

Well to give Sony credit they do give you free on line and no adds. That's pretty decent of them, I mean you expect adds with a free service.

Yet another reason why I'll probably switch over to Playstation next generation, although I haven't had Gold for a couple of years.

Overquoted:

The real question you need to ask is this: when will the Xbox method infect the Windows OS? Or the Android OS? Because that's essentially what Xbox has done...fed ads directly through the operating system of your Xbox.

If your using Windows 8 it already has, go into any of the app places and you'll see ads for shit ... I bought my parents a new laptop and was disgusted to find out just how many ads are HARD coded into the OS. I have honestly thought of block the ad content port on my router just as a massive Fuck off. I like the idea of the intigraded win8 platform but i head that it is forced on anyone who tires to use it. I still have 7 and the only way I'm up grading it under threat of torture, even then i'd bitch about it the entire time.

This is why my Xbox Live is not being renewed and I am slowly selling off all of my games. I am not paying to play online and still be bombarded with advertisements.

That's not forgetting all the other crap with Live as it is. Especially the terribly designed marketplace and awful search function.

It'll be fun to see what happens when Valve's console drops. With Microsoft more interested in ads and Sony, well, being Sony, it'll be interesting to see how well Valve does.

I hope they do really well. With Microsoft more interested in ads and Sony, well being Sony, they need a good kick in the ass.

why is this being presented as agood thing?! i go out of my way to limit the amout of advertizing in my life.
-muting the tv during ads
-returning a sports game when there is manditory ads even after i paid 80 bucks for it
i even go so far as to limit my consumption of advertized products whose advertizing is too intrusive, manipulative, or just idiotic.

this is how much advertizing annoys me. sorry microsoft, all that money your going to get from advertizing is great because you not getting it from me now.

luvd1:
Really. Really? Someone please remind me why I'm a gold member?

So they have the money to "reinvent" ads, duh.
But much much more importantly you pay so you can be the first to experience such brilliant innovation.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here