Electronic Arts Kills the Online Pass

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Who cares? Honestly, the rumors seem to indicate that the 720 won't even PLAY used games. So who cares about online pass? People are actually convinced this is a good thing? This is EA saying, we don't need outdated forms of DRM, we can just FORCE them to buy games on the 720.

Bradeck:
Who cares? Honestly, the rumors seem to indicate that the 720 won't even PLAY used games. So who cares about online pass? People are actually convinced this is a good thing? This is EA saying, we don't need outdated forms of DRM, we can just FORCE them to buy games on the 720.

Maybe, but at this point anything is a positive with that company. They dug a hole so deep on themselves PR wise that in Terraria's terms, they've dug strait down past the Mushroom caverns in the underworld and strait into hell.

Ooh, nice one! Wonder what they'll come up with to replace it, but still, a step forward's still a step forward, so kudos!

Thanks, EA! Make sure you remove the requirements in your previous games.

I don't mind paying for DLC. It's just that extra $10 for multiplayer if I buy a game used that I have a problem with.

I never really had a problem with project ten dollar, seemed like a fair solution.

I wonder what they have planned next, however.

Next up: Offline Pass! Are you Forever Alone? Don't want to play always on(but totally not in a DRM way, which we are staunchly against) games? Well now you don't have to! For a modest monthly fee, you can play all your favorite games(that we publish) without any connection to the internet whatsoever![1]

[1] for the game, that is. An internet connection is still required for the Offline Pass authenticator to verify currency of subscription.

Drizzitdude:
so wait, who do we hate now? I mean evil EA higher ups get fired, and now they are listening to the community? Whats next free dlc for bf4?

Hey, crazy idea, what if we didn't actually hate anything? And instead of desperately trying to make every game company look like a scheming devil in disguise, we just bought games we liked and passed on games we don't?

Tara Callie:

Drizzitdude:
so wait, who do we hate now? I mean evil EA higher ups get fired, and now they are listening to the community? Whats next free dlc for bf4?

Hey, crazy idea, what if we didn't actually hate anything? And instead of desperately trying to make every game company look like a scheming devil in disguise, we just bought games we liked and passed on games we don't?

Are you trying to bring logic and reason here?

BLASPHEMY!!!!

your kind are not welcome here you must have a MAXIMUM OF 20 IQ points.

Take your intelligence elsewhere Twilight.

Good on them
I still think they are the spawn of Satan and should burn

Is today opposite day? EA makes a good decision that benefits players, and Nintendo pulls a move worthy of EA!

Is anyone else scared?

If true: Yay! Good On ye, old boy! Go EA! Woof Woof! etc.etc

On the other hand, there is a little voice in the back of my head, reminding me these are the same people who adamantly claim SIMCity doesn't have DRM. "It's Not DRM! It's just an MMO!"

So part of me wonders whether they'll continue to do it, just call it something else and put it behind some shrubbery hoping we won't notice.

Color me hopeful, but immensely skeptical.

Whatever. I'm not about to praise EA for making a decision that they should have made a long time ago. I'm still never giving them any custom.

It's good that they're bothering to listen to feedback. Maybe not working developers to death, nuking Origin and losing their horseshit always-online stuff will follow.

Well..... Fuck.... Does this mean we have to hate Ubisoft now? Online Passes AND DRM...

Heres the thing... I'm not defending the online pass, but really who could blame them for using it anyways? It was meant so that the developers and publishers got something from used games to begin with. Granted, like the article said we have no way to know what it's being replaced with, but I have a feeling it'll be something that's trying to do the same kind of thing. Just because EA is discontinuing the online pass, doesn't mean we've seen the end to things like this. I'm shockingly fine with having something disabled from a used game so the developers get some money. I hate publishers as much as the rest of you but hey, those developers need to eat! You can't code on an empty stomach you know.

edit:

TheSteeleStrap:
Well..... Fuck.... Does this mean we have to hate Ubisoft now? Online Passes AND DRM...

Ubisoft has been removing the always on requirement to a lot of their games. They did that awhile ago. It's now a 1 month (I think) quick check to make sure you have legit keys and whatnot, then it goes back offline (unless the game is online). The DRM they use is just as much DRM as steam. It's a client. A client I really haven't heard much negativity about since the always on requirement is now gone.

Tara Callie:

Drizzitdude:

That's actually a great idea too.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Isn't that what pharmaceutical companies have done already? /highbrowjoke

This is a little worse. :p Or rather, would be if it were true.

PS4 already promised to leave used games alone. If the Infinity wants to try and kill them, they'll lose much more than what they'd gain.

And since most of the bad decisions in the industry tend to be propped up by mutually assured destruction, Microsoft probably won't be doing it either.

I do repeat probably, though.

I don't quite think we should call a Victory just yet. It's not the bad things of this generation we need to watch for, but the bad practices of the next generation.

well colour me surprised, but there must be something else coming I mean this is EA we're talking about, but hey, baby steps, this is still a good thing

Hmm, something smells fishy to me about this. Let's see what Admiral Ackbar thinks of it, Admiral?

Thanks for that Admiral!

Part of me wants to rejoice but I'm hesitant since I'm waiting for something that replaces online passes as an even bigger dick move. If EA is trying to win hearts and minds, its got a LONG way to go before people are singing praises for the two-time winner of Worst Company in America award.

Diablo1099:
Wow, Simcity hurt them THAT bad, huh?...

Frighteningly, I hear the game is still selling pretty well. Dang it. I just bought the earlier version for $5ish on STEAM to avoid the problems and experience the game.

ITMT: I didn't want this type of experience

Finally, but they still have a long way to go, but if they keep going in this direction il take them off my no buy list. next step day 1 dlc, steap 3 fix Origin or try to get back on steam (i know its Valve's decision but atleast try)

doggie015:

Mikeyfell:
-snip-

Don't you mean "Don't force an unrealistically early release date on them this time!". If they had time to actually finish the game then it would have had a better ending and better gameplay on day one

Well, no... It's actually "Mass Effect 3" that I want. I don't care about any other games.

Berithil:

PoolCleaningRobot:
ALL MY WHAT!?!?

The only time EA ever pissed me off personally was when I bought Uncharted 3 and the online pass was missing from the fucking manual. And now they're just going to stop with the bullshit?

Uncharted 3?

The Uncharted series isn't EA. EA has nothing to do with that series. Uncharted is Sony and Naughty Dog.

You're right. I have no clue why I thought it was related to EA. I suppose I could pin EA as the source of the online pass cancer but that's not fair

That makes me wonder if the rumors about the next generation consoles causing grief for used games may have a basis in reality. Why should EA shoulder all the hatred if the console developers are just going to do what they've been doing already?
Extremely jaded, I know, but it would certainly make for a brilliant move. Save face, earn good grace from a very angry consumer market, but you don't have to give up anything.

Why is everyone so happy?

It's not like EA did anything 'good'. They just stopped doing something 'bad'. It's not the same thing. They're still doing plenty of other 'bad' things.

If a serial killer announced "I'm going to stop killing people on Friday mornings" would people celebrate? Extreme examples.

I don't understand. In the article I could swear it said EA, but that can't be right, can it?

Next they'll announce an end to the bland, homogenised games, microtransacting in full priced, SP games, cramming multiplayer into everything and *gasp* allowing Steam customers to buy their games! I might even start buying them again.

I thought they'd have come up with another way of shafting gamers and ruining games, but instead they take a bold step in the right direction.

Dexter111:

Andy Chalk:
There's no arguing the point that gamers didn't respond to it, but while this is good news for those who were staunchly opposed to the concept, it does leave one rather important question unanswered: What comes next? I don't believe that EA is so institutionally evil that it will be compelled to come up with something even worse than Online Pass, but there's no question that it's going to come up with something. "We're still committed to creating content and services that enhance the game experience well beyond the day you first start playing," Reseburg said.

Next-Gen consoles with these kind of systems integrated I'd say.
One option is that they killed it because "it didn't show any success", the other might just be because they will soon no longer need it and they can get some PR out of it while they're at it.

There's no need for "Online Passes" on PC for instance, since they pushed Origin down every EA-gamers throat, where they have to register the game in the first place for it to work.

Awww I was feeling good the article until I read your comment. Damn you context!!!! At least consoles are safe ... for now. I really hope all that stuff about the nextbox is a lie, I really do. Also while I'm at it I want jellybeans to be the next health food craze.

Well good on EA. This is the first good news I have heard from them in a long time.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
First Microsoft is dropping the points thing and now this.

The hell is going on?

I'm not complaining mind you because this is pretty damn awesome, but I'm scared to turn on the facet because there might be blood!

I think we might have gone through one of Elizabeth's rifts and we are in a universe in which publishers are getting smarter about the decisions they make and will start listening to people. If this is true then my hope of Megaman Legends 3 will be renewed...I can be optimistic can't I? D:

OT: Good to see this gone, but just as Andy said I'm gonna wait until something else replaces them...

Initial reaction: YAAAY! They're actually thinking about their intended customer's interests for once.

Second reaction: Well, "Hope is the first step on the road to dissappointment" so I can't honestly believe that they're doing away with it and that's that. Something will come up. Unless they are genuinely trying to change for the better, but then I refer you to the previous quote.

Captcha: million dollars. There is something relevent in there somewhere...

Compatriot Block:
Kudos to EA. This is pretty great.

Which is why I will be so sad about how this thread will probably be virtually nothing but complaining anyway.

doing away with the Online Pass is just one thing out of a list of many that EA should fix.

It's like if North Korea went and said, "you know, starting tomorrow we will be opening the borders with South Korea" and nothing else.

I have to admit though, I had my own reasons for hating Project $10, namely if you used the pass, the disk gets damaged, and then later on the game becomes a digital download, you had to re-buy the pass.

Basic reason I stopped playing Bad Company 2, I didn't want to have to re-purchase something I already had to play online.

Why do I feel like EA is like some bad ex boyfriend. "No seriously, honey. I've changed!"

You've hurt me too many times, EA. I don't believe you anymore.

how is this listening to feedback when basically all discussion concerning online passes has long since fell silent. seriously it has been like a year and a half as well as numerous other ea bumbles since this was a huge thing.

if anything they did this because it wasn't making money, or because it was going to interfere with dlc/microtransaction sales, and of course to get some good PR in the process which we all know they sorely need right now.

but don't let that stop the hate train! CHOO CHOO

They simply realised they didn't want a 3rd golden poo so they are dropping the less profitable user unfriendly business practices.
This is just trimming the things that gave them a bad reputation and no noticeable profit. It's simply business.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here