YouTube Gaming Star PewDiePie Turns Off Comments For Good

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Racecarlock:
Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be challenged. That's how freedom of speech works. I can use my freedom of speech to challenge your speech which you had the freedom to make.

I'm not sure Freedom of Speech means what you think it means...

OT: While I find PDP about as funny as a punch to my balls, can't say I blame him for blocking the comments. Like most popular Youtubers, if you have a crap load of subs, be sure that the comments will be a cesspit of hilarity between haters and die hard fans, so I won't say its a bad move on his part.

4 million a year screaming into a camera and making rape jokes. Well time to spend sometime rethinking my life choices because obviously I've failed somewhere along the way.

Nieroshai:
All I know is that Markiplier is for sure not next because every month he records a love letter for his viewers. I don't see him not wanting to hear from even the trolls. Especially Pewds. In the form of Falcon Lover. Weirdest ARG to be a part of a gaming channel...

I sure hope not, I like Markiplier and he seems like a genuinely nice person. I fully expect a kind Escapist poster to reveal he's a child rapist or something shortly, because fuck the ignorant cretins who like this kind of thing, amirite?

OT

Don't watch his stuff but can't say I blame him: I can't even begin to imagine the stupidity and vitriol an internet "celebrity" attracts in the comments.

DerangedHobo:

Bolo The Great:
I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.

Moviebob said something in his TMNT review that really stuck with me (the following is horrific paraphrasing): "'It's for kids' shouldn't be used as a defense of a bad movie, the kids deserved better, they look towards media for morals and guiedance and you failed them" This is basically my view of the vast majority of popular content when it comes to Youtube, it's all low rent swill for the masses to eat up. Not that I am above this by any stretch but it's still depressing nether the less.

Well MoiveBob does have a massive superiority complex so i guess that's par for the course. But no i don't think calling him "swill" is justified. He does not have a multimillion dollar budget. He's not really that offensively bad his persona is just irritating to some. He's not even that bad to be really honest. Like i said it makes me uncomfortable the almost religious hate he gets for... what? What exactly is offensively bad about PewDiePie that he is corrupting our youth?

When you say that you just come off as a massive snob who wants his dislikes to mean he is better than a big group of people. I'm pretty sure many of those peasants like their content. As I've learned though living in the real world you shouldn't insult people for linking things you don't like and trying to wrap it up as some kind of taste crusade. I don't go around telling people who love chart music i find unlistenable they are pigs who like swill, that would make me an asshole.

PewDiePie is not to your taste. That is all. You're not part of some elite taste-club for disliking him, it does not make you better than anyone who does enjoy his content. Like it or not he has an audience, his content isn't offensive and he isn't an horrible person.

I can think of few things more useless that YouTube comments (and that's an extremely short list), so if Pewdie wants to turn them off, since they're his videos, he has every right to. It's not like he's closing off the public entirely if his social media channels are still open to the public, so who cares if that's what he chooses to do? I'm actually surprised he didn't do it sooner.

Racecarlock:

-Ezio-:

Racecarlock:

Hey, uh, internet? Please stop acting shocked when it turns out people have different tastes. You've grown up with humanity, you've seen it in action, please stop acting like this is some kind of insane new discovery.

oh shit sorry. i thought forums like this were for expressing your opinion. my mistake.

Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean it can't be challenged. That's how freedom of speech works. I can use my freedom of speech to challenge your speech which you had the freedom to make.

Actually, freedom of speech is all about being able to criticize the government free of repercussion. It has little to do with opinions in general. But yes. Opinions can be missinformed and challenged. That said, I've heard of PDP, but I've maybe only seen his videos of Trauma Center: Second Opinion. Not a fan. Found him somewhat boring. Some of his video thumbnails creep me out, too.

As far as him being a toxic dick goes, as I've heard, the way I see it, there's always going to be something you hate about LetsPlayers, so really, it's just a matter of "mileage may vary," but for me, he's not that worth seeing. Besides, while it may be his channel to do with as he pleases, he is somewhat responsible for his fans in some aspect (though not completely; you can't stop your fans from doing everything) and feel turning off the comments entirely may be something of a cop out.

I have a Youtube... and I read and respond to every comment.
I have 15 subscribers.....................

15. If I had 2 million TIMES more subscribers than that It wouldn't be physically possible to read and respond to all of those or really any of those

That being said, when ever I see a video with comments turned off I go... what the fuck?
Even one of my favorite Youtubers Errant Signal had a video with comments disabled, and it was a great video but I was still like "What the fuck?"

I mean the comment I was going to leave was tantamount to liking the video with the little thumbs up button, but still.

Can you blame him?
Youtube comments are basically the internet's equivalent to graffiti on a bathroom stall, most people who value their sanity have long since stopped reading them so I don't really see a problem here.

Also, I don't particularly like Pewdiepie's videos, but hell, I can't blame him for making them if he's raking in 4 mil a year. Don't you dare tell me that you wouldn't do the same exact thing in his shoes, I know I would.

Lightknight:
This just in, kid takes ball, leaves playground.

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.

I think the difference is that Pewdiepie's videos don't really promote discussion of anything.

His videos aren't really about anything except that people like watching his reactions

They're his videos and his channel so he can do what he wants. I don't watch him because I think he's annoying as fuck, but I also don't feel the need to sling shit and vitriol in all of his comment sections. I don't know why it's so hard for people to be okay with something they don't enjoy existing. No one is forcing anyone to sit and watch this guy's videos.

Mikeyfell:

Lightknight:

I understand why he's doing it, I'm just far more in favor of allowing discussion rather than stamping it out. Still his ball, technically speaking.

I think the difference is that Pewdiepie's videos don't really promote discussion of anything.

His videos aren't really about anything except that people like watching his reactions

Yeah, it's not like he's reviewing a game or voicing his opinion on recent issues.

I really like PDP for the latter, while every gaming youtuber debates and feels they have to have an opinion on the latest gaming controversy, he just keeps on making his vids anda raking in those Subscribers.

I haven't seen a single video of his. And while I constantly hear about what a cool dude he is, I never hear anything but bad things about his video content. As someone of that persuasion I say: good.

Turn them off. Keep them off and never turn them back on again. Reading Youtube comment is like hitting yourself in the balls with your own forehead, and that's just on average, let alone when you attain the kind've popularity that Pewds has. Yeah, yeah, stamping out discussion, blah, blah. On channels like his, fuck discussion. Nothing is ever discussed.

Two thumbs up Pewds. I wish I liked your videos more.

Machine Man 1992:
I can't really complain about this; one of my favorite YouTubers, Nerd Cubed, turned off comments because of link spam and how the Google+ integration fucked with the pages.

Axing the comments for practical reasons is also a possibility.

Heeeelllooo, procrastinator.

OT: Youtube is less and less appealing as a content host every day that passes: silly redesigns, absurd flagging systems and seemingly little regard for up and comers. All that without even mentioning the comments! I'd not hesitate to support some kind of mass exodus and migration to other sites, or even to personal hosting. I know a few people that got their start on Youtube that currently host their own content -- Yogscast springs to mind.

said to earn him $4 million a year.

What the hell.

I've clearly made a wrong turn in my life somewhere and missed the bus for this whole YouTube schtick. I'd be happy with a 10th or even 100th of that per year for making videos about playing games.

i dont watch this videos. in fact i run a greasemonkey script that automatically hides anything he does on youtube. however him dimsabling comments, just like anyone disabling comments on youtube is just a sign of being unable to take criticism and literaly not giving a fuck about your community.

GZGoten:
he makes 4 million a year? 0__0

He is The number 1 most subscribed/viewed person on youtube, regardless of category.

Machine Man 1992:
I can't really complain about this; one of my favorite YouTubers, Nerd Cubed, turned off comments because of link spam and how the Google+ integration fucked with the pages.

Axing the comments for practical reasons is also a possibility.

NerdCubed had a fan design a website for him to "make youtube the way he wanted it to be" and didnt include comments. he just seems to hate any kind of criticism.

personally I would just leave the comments on people will always want a place to insult complete strangers and he wouldn't want it spilling over into the places where he actually values the discussion

Xan Krieger:

anonymity88:

Me55enger:
$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.

It is truly mind boggling. My mind has been boggled.

More mind blowing and confusing than any Metal Gear Solid game's plot. I mean even the huge plot twists of Metal Gear Solid 2 can't compare to someone making 4 million dollars per year just by being funny while playing games. If that's all it takes to be a millionaire in today's world then fuck it, nuke the planet, let's start over. Invent a time machine that only goes forward and let's go around again.

30 million subscribers and most of the videos i looked at on the first page had at least 3 million views its not that surprising, as much as you may or may not like his videos that's a huge audience.

if anyone could do that there would be no value there but that's obviously not the case so he must be doing something right

Bolo The Great:

DerangedHobo:

Bolo The Great:
I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.

Moviebob said something in his TMNT review that really stuck with me (the following is horrific paraphrasing): "'It's for kids' shouldn't be used as a defense of a bad movie, the kids deserved better, they look towards media for morals and guiedance and you failed them" This is basically my view of the vast majority of popular content when it comes to Youtube, it's all low rent swill for the masses to eat up. Not that I am above this by any stretch but it's still depressing nether the less.

Well MoiveBob does have a massive superiority complex so i guess that's par for the course.

Why not judge what he says rather than his character? There are many well written stories appropriate for children while also having good role models for them to look up to. TMNT was a travesty in that regard, being neither intelligent, insightful, clever, or suitable for children.

I'm still wondering, what kind of person commenting on PewDiePie's video anyway? Going to to another Let's Play YouTuber's channel and I always see people commenting "PewDiePie rip off". Trolling or not, there's nothing really worthy to know about his fanbase or people who subscribe to him.

I find hilarious and meaningful comments on other YouTube videos that gave both entertainment and information, that's why most of the time, reading comments is fun on its own. PewDiePie however, with his baffling humor that I can't find a good reason to even crack a smile, what makes you think that the comments, the majority of them is his fanbase, will be any different?

I like how the biggest reaction in this thread is to how much money he makes.

It makes sense, the comments on Youtube are bad in general, and tend to get worse the more views a video has. TB turned off his comments section a while ago and says he has zero regrets about it.

This immediately came to mind.

I'm not a fan of the uploader, but I feel it's relevant.
Also the venn diagram overlap of people who watch PDP and people who make youtube comments is probably a very dark place indeed.

Lightknight:

The YT comments section isn't designed for discussion. Stupid bait-y comments get voted up and put on top, so everyone ends up just replying to those comments. You want discussion, go to forums with moderators.

This is probably the only thing the guy will ever be good for, with someone that big disabling your shitty comment system for good Youtube might yet implement some filters or moderation.
Or at the very least stop changing the site every damn week so my filters can keep working, I don't intend to redo them every damn time.

I'd say that's a defeat. It's true that Youtube comments can become often vile (especially when many people want you gone), but it's also an easy option where your fans can quickly share and care, and this is cutting himself off to a lot of them in a way.

Surprised that it took him this long most of the less popular youtubers turned it right after youtube g+ integration.

All I can think is

And no body who matter cared.

To be honest I've never watched him never will. Good for him doing what he loves. Still I could not even finish that view the escapist posted.

Strazdas:
however him dimsabling comments, just like anyone disabling comments on youtube is just a sign of being unable to take criticism and literaly not giving a fuck about your community.

The problem with comments is not actually criticism to his videos. Those kinds of criticism post rarely exists in his videos. The problem is the mud slinging between fans of PDP and the haters.

Do you also think that's the same reason TotalBiscuit turned off his comments? Because he can't handle critics? Both of them are turning it off for other reasons, like not "she who will not be named"

Strazdas:
i dont watch this videos. in fact i run a greasemonkey script that automatically hides anything he does on youtube. however him dimsabling comments, just like anyone disabling comments on youtube is just a sign of being unable to take criticism and literaly not giving a fuck about your community.

at this point I honestly think youtube comments are beyond defending

Bolo The Great:
PewDiePie is a persona and a character. He has that irritating energy level to appeal to his watches who are usually early to mid teens. I can't really muster the energy to hate him because he isn't really doing anything wrong or harmful he just makes some dumb but popular videos on the internet for what are essentially kids.

From what I've heard from everyone who has interacted with him in real life he is actually very pleasant and humble. Being mad at PewDiePie is like being mad at teeny pop music. He's simply serving an audience you are not part of.

Honestly I liked his early videos better when he was just being himself. I was a subscriber for a little while but quickly left because I simply couldn't stand his persona anymore.

I've only seen 2 of his videos, and found that neither was entertaining for me, but I respect the work he does for charity and think he's well within his rights to block out the haters.

How is this even news?
I doubt many people here even like him, let alone care about his youtube comments.

On a side note, he completely ruined my hairstyle. People started asking if I copy him because I happened to have a vaguely similar style, which involves waking up and doing shit all to it. Why the ever living hell would I copy any youtube star, let alone him?

Me55enger:
$4 million a year.

Four million dollars a year.

A. Year.

Driver, let me off at the next stop please.

Yeah. It just makes you want to press the reset button :\

Muspelheim:

It's not exactly a great forum of enlightening and enriching discussion and criticism he's ruthlessly stamping the life out of. This is more akin to fixing a leaking sewage pipe.

Laser Priest:
While I agree with you, there is less legitimate discussion on most youtube videos than there is trolling and spam.

And with the most popular channel on YouTube, PewDiePie receives even more of the horrors of YouTube comments. It sounds like he will still allow it, but he'd rather people do it via social media than turn his youtube video comment sections into hate-filled warzones.

Even if I'm not a fan of his channel, I can't really say I'm against him in this at all. YouTube comments are just poison.

See, I wouldn't how enlightened or enriching his youtube comments are because I, like most people, don't read Youtube comments unless the video is a do-it-yourself and I want more information or something that I'm suspicious of.

That's it.

Do you generally read the youtube comments anymore? As far as I can tell, there is no reason to discuss his videos or read the discussion. Fixing a leaking sewage pipe implies that the pipe leaking is doing some kind of harm to the establishment. In this case, it's just a bunch of wind bags all trying to gross eachother out or flamebait. Let them tucker eachother out, we're not reading them anyways.

Closing down the comments is essentially pointless. Poison or not, complete silencing of discussion isn't a good solution.

Queen Michael:
[insert a ****load of jokes about how the comments at least are more intelligen than his videos]

I couldnt agree more, and honestly cannot STAND his videos.... but with that said, if its true he is making over 4 million a year with the videos, who is the smart one here? I work a freaking 8 to 5 job, making nothing anywhere CLOSE to that. Jeez, thats just painful, lol...

This is pathetic. I'm sorry, but for $4,000,000 regular, I think I could put up with a few griefers posting negative comments on a comment section. If nothing else, I could certainly afford to get someone to act as a forum moderator for the more petulant and offensive ones.

When I hear news about this guy, I have to ask one particular question: why HIM? There have to be at least a thousand youtubers posting similar kinds of video series with more thoughtful and/or entertaining commentary than this guy, why's he so freaking popular he can make more than 4 out of 5 people in the world population ever could working a REAL JOB?

tl; dr
Pewdiepie got told that uncensored spaces on the internet frighten parents of potential viewers, not allowing comments is an easy solution.

Its the same as the wiggles or seaseme st youtube channels

not a big deal

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook