What are your thoughts on Fallout: Las Vegas?
Crazy awesome! I am playing it whenever I can!
33.6% (284)
33.6% (284)
Its really good.
28.6% (242)
28.6% (242)
Its good.
15% (127)
15% (127)
Its ok.
8.9% (75)
8.9% (75)
Its mediocre.
6% (51)
6% (51)
Its bad.
1.2% (10)
1.2% (10)
Its really bad.
1.4% (12)
1.4% (12)
Its horrible, I hate it completely!
3.4% (29)
3.4% (29)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Fallout: Las Vegas is boring beyond belief

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Ftaghn To You Too:

One last thing:

THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN SETTING DOESN'T EXCUSE IT?

THE SETTING IS THE WHOLE POINT! Bland, lifeless, depressing, dead. The point is that you become desperate for something alive that isn't vicious or burnt out. Every single thing is a nook and cranny hiding secrets and skeletons to uncover. That's the point of Fallout.

To almost, but not really, come to his defense here you're missing the point of what he's saying. I felt the same way about Fallout 3 and Oblivion myself and have often had a difficult time describing how I feel about the deadness of the setting because of the same reasons. But I'll try anyway...

Fallout 3 (and Oblivion) despite being massive just felt dead. And I don't mean nuclear wasteland dead. I mean dull-dead. It felt like a computerized world occupied by npcs. They had no soul.

New Vegas makes very strong strides in fixing this. It's not perfect (and what by Obsidian is, really?) but despite being a landscape ravaged by nuclear war it feels alive. Feels real.

The setting of the fallout games makes that difficult to describe. Obsidian, for all their many faults is really good at some things and this is one of them.

I got it Friday, and love it. Fantastic game. I'm ecstatic that they brought iron sights into the game. I don't mind walking, I typically try not to fast travel unless it's a large distance.

I'm enjoying it, but, it's a very lazy way to make a game.

Haven't played it and I already know it's good. It's Fallout 3 plus, what's not to like.

MiracleOfSound:

Straying Bullet:

I like the fact my comment went way over your head, I suggest you read more.

Your rather ill-mannered response amused me to a certain point but here is something that will completly void all your statements and remarks you try to pose as a fact for me.

I said the game FEELS like it. I didn't said it IS an expansion pack but my perception is different than yours and so is my opinion. Once more, an opinion, not a fact. It doesn't help much they use that same engine I come to loathe.

Reading skills, my arse. No offense intended, we can be civilized still. ;)

Well actually most of the reasons I gave are factual as they exist in the game and all the changed mechanics I listed are all factually different to thier Fallout 3 versions.

My apologies for being so ill-mannered though, I was just fed up with hearing about how the game feels like an EP when to me it feels anything but.

Thank you for apologizing, they aren't needed however. I have been in your situation, defending several games but only not to read carefully. Once more, I hope no ill feelings exist between us. I am sure the game is wonderful but for me, with first-hand experience, I will purchase it when it's in the bargain bin. And yes, I am a vivid Fallout 3 player. ;)

Have a good day sir!

I really enjoyed Fallout 3, and I think New vegas blows it right out of the fucking water.

To me, it's a re-make of Fallout 2 on Bethesda's engine, it has fantastic depth and far more interesting side-quests.

Googenstien:
Much better and less boring and more RPG-like than Fallout 3. They did a great job on revitalizing the franchise.

My thoughs exactly, it opens up more and more as I play. The begining lacked the same charm as Fallout 3 (lack of Three Dog), but more than made up for it after a few quests (radio guest interviews).

Morality is no longer do or die, which is a major plus to me. The factions are also more fleshed out, I prefer this to Fallout 3 and can see me spending allot of time playing it.

Honestly though I don't really see the point of this thread, kinda seems like an attention grabber to me (seeing as the starting post is so negative).

Straying Bullet:

Thank you for apologizing, they aren't needed however. I have been in your situation, defending several games but only not to read carefully. Once more, I hope no ill feelings exist between us. I am sure the game is wonderful but for me, with first-hand experience, I will purchase it when it's in the bargain bin. And yes, I am a vivid Fallout 3 player. ;)

Well... by that stage the game will be patched up and fixed, so it's a win-win.

I too am an avid F3 player, it was my favorite game of all time but I think NV may have just robbed it of it's place :)

Ironic Pirate:
I've heard that the combat is a lot better than Fallout 3, can anyone confirm this?

Yes, a thousand times yes. Now you have iron sights and you don't have to lean on VATS where as in FO3 you had to use VATS all the time because combat was extremly clunky, in short it isn't the best combat ever but it's pretty good.

Noble Cookie:
I haven't played NV, but just wondering, is it to Fallout 3 what ODST was to the other Halos?

Just wondering.

No, fallout 3 is what ODST was to the other halos. If you played fallouts 1&2 you'd know that FO3 was way diffrent, sitll great mind but diffrent.

As much as unnecessary size helps establish scale and atmosphere I feel like I'm spending far too long walking. I also have several lag issues (stuttering when rotating my view, specifically up and down, my guess is that its unloading content when I do... which it really shouldn't) and a few issues with a glitchy magnum that keeps getting stuck mid-reload.

Hopefully that will be patched out though. Really the only flaws other than the excessive travel times are the lifelessness of some places (since the NPCs have schedules just having random roamers is a lot more troublesome so clubs and such are pretty barren) and the underequipping of the player (I'd guess I'm at least half way through the main quest however I'm still using the starting pistol since its the best weapon so far (a few are more adept at specific weapons and I do swap it out when I run out of ammo but its my go to gun). Oh and radiation seems to be a really non-existant threat... I don't even need to use radiated water or food due to my high supply of Sunset Sasparilla. I'm rather suprised non of the map designers used radiation to block off pathways. Also some of the encounters seem to be really quite hard, getting past the ghouls was scary but fairly easy when my magnum would reload properly between VATS... but then the very first nightkin just decimates me no matter what I try (although me and Boone would probably be able to take it on now).
Thinking about Companions... a "Call" button would be nice as they have a habit of running off to attack distant or reactionary (like the bighorners that only attack if you get very close) foes. I also think I'm supposed to have a quickbar of some sort, I have no idea how to assign items to it if I do though.

I don't mind the walking around in New Vegas, mainly because unlike 3 there is plenty of stuff to keep my attention along the way. In 3 it was just the same three raiders appearing every once in a while or the occasional Super Mutant base, where i would kill all the mutants, using up most of my ammo and stimpaks in the process and what do i find at the end? Ammo for the gun i just broke to get up here.

My only compaints about New Vegas is faster loading times in the strip and freesdie (i ended up fetching a book to read during load screens) plus the fact that most quests in the strip and freedside involve a lot of back tracking into different areas. Also something that summons my companions to me

It should have been named Fallout 3.5 because it apes Fallout 3 something fierce.
That said I'm enjoying it because I really liked Fallout 3. A quick summation of my opinions:
+ It is WAY more difficult
+ Hardcore mode adds a little more depth
+ Using iron sights makes your kills feel a bit more skillful.
- Graphics are worse and there are way more bugs
- The "consequences" system seems a little over-rated. Despite all the choices I've made all it has meant is that I'm either shot on sight or not shot on sight.

happysock:
just wanting to check with you as well you do know you can fast travel to any location you have already been to cutting down on the amount on travelling you have to do? Because some people I have spoken to don't realise that.

Ha, that was like me when I first played Fallout 3. I walked from Megaton to that Super Duper Mart, then having completed the quest there, I WALKED back to Megaton. It wasn't until I had progressed to Rivet City that I realised I could fast travel -.-

I love FO:New Vegas, even though it is a bug heaven,and the story isn't as compelling as FO3,but the gray morality,the faction system,new stuffs etc. are so good it's great.

vrbtny:

Cmd. Shepard:
I just rented New Vegas because I was apprehensive about Fallout 3 at first too before I bought it. I've played it for awhile and while it's not my favourite game, there are certain things in this game that I prefer over Fallout 3.....1) Ammo is more abundant, 2) Things seem a tad more alive, and this is the most important one 3) THERE'S ACTUALLY BLOODY COLOUR !!....everything's not the same dull shade of green, yellow, and grey like in Fallout 3.

Dude, you weren't playing Fallout 3 right. Download the Fellout mod, plus the Ultra realistic Lighting mod, and FO3 looks so much better.

I have Fallout 3: GOTY Ed on 360

I find it funny that the OP's name is 'Hardcore_gamer' and he got the name of the game wrong. :P

New Vegas is everything that FO3 wanted to be and wasn't.

More quests, more in-depth characters, companions that react to the story and actions, living world that responds accordinly to every action. A way more harder morality system that prevents being in the good with every organization.

Better NPC's, harder game, better area designs, variety in jobs, groups, buildings and npcs, way better scripting and characterization, a good build system preventing OP and avoiding useless skills.

Only things that are worse compared to F03 is: Poor music selection, and not the same impact and atmosphere.

I like this better than 3, Mainly because the sparse vegetation makes it feel more alive then 3, which was just boring desolate, flat landscape. Also, I don't know why I get this feeling, but it seems like the raiders, and people in the are ACTUALLY feel like there supposed to be there, and arn't just a random encounter you stumbled upon.

Stormz:

I will be getting the GOTY at some point, not sure when. It's going to feel weird downgrading but I neeed more haha. I hope you're right about the mods, having the companion wheel in Fallout 3 would already be a big step up for me. Aren't there mods to add more atmosphere in FO3 already? That would also help.

There are tons of mods. There's even a zombie one, if you can imagine that. But some of the New Vegas stuff comes directly from mods of 3, like hardcore mode. So I am pretty sure the companion wheel will make it into a mod.

I think there are quite a few mods that make the graphics look a little snappier, so you might check out those. Somewhere around is a thread on the best Fallout mods, I'll see if I can find it and PM it to ya!

DustyDrB:

Man, there are plants. I went exploring and happened into an actual living forest. With green leaves and everything. But, this being Fallout, it freaked me out and made me extremely paranoid.

Beware of the plants!!! They kill! ;)

theSovietConnection:

One thing I couldn't help but think to myself, though, is how much more awesome it would be if the motorcycles were driveable. I don't know why, something about that post-apocalyptic Mojave Desert screams "DRIVE A MOTORCYCLE!" at me.

I sometimes feel the same way. It's a Mad Max kind of feeling, I think. I want to mod up a motorcycle with spikes and crazy stuff and drive between places. That would be awesome.

SixWingedAsura:
It feels like a glorified expansion pack.

same reason I never bought Napoleon:TW

You can say it's similar to FO3 all you want, but in everything except core gameplay it's a huge ode to the first fallout games. I'm really loving everything about it, then again my copy is for some reason extremely clean of bugs, so that might have made it more positive for me.

I'm inclined to disagree. I still prefer Fallout 3 though.

Nom Pretentieux:
You can say it's similar to FO3 all you want, but in everything except core gameplay it's a huge ode to the first fallout games. I'm really loving everything about it, then again my copy is for some reason extremely clean of bugs, so that might have made it more positive for me.

The only similarity it has with Fallout 3 is the engine. People who have only played a grand total of two hours haven't realized this.

The game is three times as long, three times as deep, and three times as balanced as Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was some nubcake shit developed by a group that died after Morrowind.

Hardcore_gamer:
snip

Dude, not trying to be offensive here, but this is the second time that I've noted you miss the point of something entirely, and it makes me wonder if you're just trolling popular things.

Actually, here is the first time you did this, that I've come across:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.162408-Are-the-main-characters-in-Inglorious-Bastards-actually-total-shitbags?page=1

Faladorian:

jakefongloo:
Holy shit the game has been out less then a week and there have been no less then 14 topics on how buggy/awful/boring the game is. Jesus guy what is going through your head! You don't offer anything intelligent to the table you're just bitching. "Wow this game is boring i'm gonna go complain about it to people i've never met!" Fuck off

Amen to that. And talk about actually giving a game a chance. I mean, really? If all you were doing was walking around and it was so boring and blah blah then you probably played for less than two hours.

Oh and actually the post-nuclear excuse is completely valid. Part of establishing the atmosphere of a post-nuclear desert is to make it barren, shitty and lifeless. Fallout is the kind of game where you actually go "What the fuck?!" if you see a tree. A tree. If that's not proper setting immersion I don't know what is. Anyway, if you keep going, it does get really fun, but I guess you'll never know because youre going to return it on an hour-and-a-half experience. That's like meeting someone, and they were taking a little too long to tell you their name, and you just say "FUCK THIS I DONT WANT TO MEET YOU BYE"

Also, this.

Xzi:

Nom Pretentieux:

The only similarity it has with Fallout 3 is the engine. People who have only played a grand total of two hours haven't realized this.

The game is three times as long, three times as deep, and three times as balanced as Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was some nubcake shit developed by a group that died after Morrowind.

While I like fallout 3 and think that's waaay too harsh, I have to say people aren't giving the game a chance. Then again, people went haywire when we told them to give FF XIII 20 hours of their time, so maybe I should just give up trying to sell long games as good. Go wait for Black Ops, that'll be a fun 3 hours.

Have you tried fucking about? I do it whenever possible my best example would have to be last night I had my Varmint Rifle with Night Vision Scope and I spent the entire night acting like a sniper saying such phrases as "Leading the target" "Going hot" "Area secure" "Tango down" ha ha it was a blast.

For those that don't know Leading the target refers to allowing the enemy to walk into the bullet.

x0ny:

happysock:
just wanting to check with you as well you do know you can fast travel to any location you have already been to cutting down on the amount on travelling you have to do? Because some people I have spoken to don't realise that.

Ha, that was like me when I first played Fallout 3. I walked from Megaton to that Super Duper Mart, then having completed the quest there, I WALKED back to Megaton. It wasn't until I had progressed to Rivet City that I realised I could fast travel -.-

Yeah loads of people do it, my brother did about half the game walking back and forth, he wasn't too amused when I showed him fast travelling lol

Its actually hard!

I have had more fun on it than fallout 3. I've been more scared, more challenged and more interested than 3. Nothing in fallout 3 worried me, because shotgun to the face always won.

However, this one...

DAMN GIANT SCORPIANS!

You should have played Fallout 1 and 2 and THEN say you "knew in advance what kind of game this was".
Because it's a really nice comeback.

Finished it Saturday night and can only say what a huge overall improvement it is over FO3.

It's good but severely over hyped, I am enjoying it but it needs a lot of work, good thing Bethesda is known for patching games really well.

I really like it. They changed enough to give it a different feel to FO3, and it has a great charm to it. I can forgive it for the dodgy aiming thing in the same way I'd forgive a puppy for pissing on the carpet.

You said you have a problem with guns being inaccurate if you fire them yourself (not using V.A.T.S), but I, with a Guns skill of 40 (I am level 5) and the Trigger Discipline trait shoot one-hit-kill headshots with a 9mm from a distance were you can enter the V.A.T.S, on very hard difficulty using true iron sights. I actually think that NW has at least 7 times better gun gameplay than FO3.

gl1koz3:
You should have played Fallout 1 and 2 and THEN say you "knew in advance what kind of game this was".
Because it's a really nice comeback.

Finished it Saturday night and can only say what a huge overall improvement it is over FO3.

I agree with you on the comeback part, it really feels more like real Fallout than FO3, and it's really cool seeing references like the niece of Rose from Modoc, geckos, I also heard there is Marcus in the game. (Don't want to check it, want to experience it first hand) :)

haters going to hate, all going to say.

ITT: people complaining Fallout isn't mainstream enough for their tastes.

Sorry guys, this shooter isn't for people who expect to be slouching on their couch mindlessly shooting things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked