Dark Souls PC port to use GFWL

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Mr.K.:
"Hey PC guys we are packing dog shit with the port you wanted! Why is noone buying it now..."

Luckily there will be user made patches for this, sadly that will disable online support... well until someone makes their own Dark Souls server.

Honestly I can live with that. Let me talk about Demon's Souls and my time in Dark Souls for a bit. In Demon's Souls there was world 5 which was basically like Blighttown. There you could safely be full human since no one in their right mind would attack there since it's annoying as hell. Between the infinite death pits and the whole swamp part it's annoying just to be there alone so people weren't jackasses enough to attack someone in a already miserably designed place. So why in the hell were people attacking me in freaking blighttown. How in the hell do you even manage that much dickery. I quit playing Dark Souls at that point because the whole pvp was broken anyway. I already fought someone eariler who could do about 300 damage a hit while I only could do about 30 a hit so that went about as well as expected.

Well this certainly puts a damper on things. I was indeed one of the many people who signed the petition but with GFWL I don't think I can justify paying full price for the game. A shame really. As for patches to disable GFWL I think I'd rather play without the online component than deal with that horrible service.

Mr.K.:
"Hey PC guys we are packing dog shit with the port you wanted! Why is noone buying it now..."

That's the point... someone's realised if Dark Souls sells well on the PC there will be an expectation of any subsequent Souls games also getting a PC version.

Hmm, I guess I won't be playing this game after all then. Oh well.

i still don't get what companies get from using GFWL.all i can see is a massive downturn in sales and a load of pissed of consumers and as far as I know no publisher ,with the obvious exception of ea, sees that as a plus.

Sighh, now I need to decide if the quality of the font telling me I've died is worth having to trudge through the ever lasting shit that is GFWL.

HINT -

It always feels like these companies use GFWL just so they can point to it and say "You see? Nobody wants to buy it for PC!" No idea why the hell they want to deny themselves money in order to prove a point.

RhombusHatesYou:

Mr.K.:

That's the point... someone's realised if Dark Souls sells well on the PC there will be an expectation of any subsequent Souls games also getting a PC version.

And why would anyone want to sabotage their own profit?

EcksTeaSea:
The thing that amazes me the most is that people begged for a PC port and now they refuse to buy it because of GFWL.

It really is that bad. No exaggerations. No hyperboles. No overstatements.

GFWL is nothing but a discouragement for buying a game. No exceptions. Someone needs to be fired for this decision.

I've learned to tolerate it once its going its not "too" bad, getting a game going for the first time is sometimes a headache though so im not too bothered by this. I would have prefered Steam for achievement's but whatever.

Maybe there looking for cross platform achievement's between the 360 and PC versions a bit like Fallout 3 (as far as I know PC earned ones count on your 360 one and the reverse)

DementedSheep:

EcksTeaSea:
The thing that amazes me the most is that people begged for a PC port and now they refuse to buy it because of GFWL.

Have you used GFWL? it terrible and a legitimate reason to not buy something.

I have and I have never actually had problems with it. Also you guys gotta think about this one logically, a game that was on 360 is now being ported to PC and uses GFWL, coincidence? I think not.

SpAc3man:

EcksTeaSea:

GFWL is nothing but a discouragement for buying a game. No exceptions. Someone needs to be fired for this decision.

And by fired I mean out of a cannon.... into a pool..... full of crap... and then when they try to climb out a little girl in a dress hits them in the head with a shovel....

Maybe that is a little harsh. Lets just fire them.

Draech:

SpAc3man:

EcksTeaSea:
snip

And by fired I mean out of a cannon.... into a pool..... full of crap... and then when they try to climb out a little girl in a dress hits them in the head with a shovel....

Maybe that is a little harsh. Lets just fire them.

I like your first suggestion better. Seems more appropriate and fitting. As I said before, no exaggerations, no hyperboles, no overstatements.

Captcha: be careful

EcksTeaSea:

DementedSheep:

EcksTeaSea:

Have you used GFWL? it terrible and a legitimate reason to not buy something.

I have and I have never actually had problems with it. Also you guys gotta think about this one logically, a game that was on 360 is now being ported to PC and uses GFWL, coincidence? I think not.

Good for you, being in a minority and all that.

The only way that I can even imagine From Software doing this beyond lack of knowing better was if Microsoft themselves refused to let them port their game otherwise, which seems ridiculous.

Also, it was also released on the PS3. This makes that very idea make even less sense since it's not even an Xbox 360 exclusive.

EDIT: Retarded grammar ahoy!

What the fuck...why?

It's so stupid. I could never buy any DLC for Arkham City because GFWL refused to believe that my game was not a pirate copy, and therefore could post no scores on the scoreboard or buy any DLC.

In Dark Souls, if this happens, it would be a complete nightmare for everyone since it relies on online.

Adam Jensen:

RhombusHatesYou:

Mr.K.:

And why would anyone want to sabotage their own profit?

Who the fuck knows?

Yet publishers do exactly that all the time...

... and then blame pirates or the used game market or whatever their current INDUSTRY CRISIS is.

Well, that's a downer...

I'm going to buy the game, that's out of the question. But... GFWL? Really? Why not Steam? Or heck, why not Origin? GFWL is NEVER a good idea. This platform is unstable, has terrible online features and god dammit, I have yet to manage playing Gotham City Impostors together with a friend on the first time we try to make a group.

Well done. You reduced your sales by a lot with it. Again, why not Steam? Steam has a larger userbase and more people who are willing to spend money on that platform...

RhombusHatesYou:

... and then blame pirates or the used game market or whatever their current INDUSTRY CRISIS is.

But there have been plenty of GFWL titles that sold well on PC.

I can see why bad sales would piss a developer the fuck off; after much begging and whining at them to make a port they actually do, then the same people turn round and go, "Meh, whatever" and proceed to pirate the living hell out of it.

Ahh GFWL, well I guess the game is supposed to be challenging and all.

But seriously this game just droped into the "wait for massive sale" part of my brain.
Buying a game with GFWL often feels like buying something broken, like hell im going to pay you full price when I have to put some work in on my end to get it working.

If you don't like GFWL go buy the game and find some DL or pirated copy that just to avoid it. You can still support the developers without supporting there dumbass ideas. Or stupid Games for windows shit.

SajuukKhar:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Enjoy your zombie PC.

Lets not go overboard. Origin is worse than GFWL and you know it.

GFWL prevented me from making save games in Fallout 3 50% of the time.

I can at least make save games on my Origin games consistently.

You don't need to use GFWL for FO3.

OT: I couldn't care less, never had any real problems.

GoaThief:
But there have been plenty of GFWL titles that sold well on PC.

I can see why bad sales would piss a developer the fuck off; after much begging and whining at them to make a port they actually do, then the same people turn round and go, "Meh, whatever" and proceed to pirate the living hell out of it.

That's because there have been plenty of GFWL titles that have been must play; Arkham Asylum/City, Fallout 3, GTA IV.. GFWL might not prevent me from supporting it if it's a quality port, but will factor immensely into how much time I'll spend playing it.

Quesa:

That's because there have been plenty of GFWL titles that have been must play; Arkham Asylum/City, Fallout 3, GTA IV.. GFWL might not prevent me from supporting it if it's a quality port, but will factor immensely into how much time I'll spend playing it.

"Must-play"? None of them was must play. Is there even such a thing as "Must-play"? From your list: If I had not played FO3 I would not have missed jack. I did not play the shit that is GTA 4 (and with shit I mean the quality of the port) and I did not miss anything. Batman Arkham Asylum: I played it only a few months ago and to be honest: Everyone who did not played it missed nothing.

I mean, do we really have this kind of peer-pressure in gaming that we can label games as "must play"?

RhombusHatesYou:

Mr.K.:

A touch cynical there, Rhombus.

Even my wildest conspiracy theories didn't bridge that chasm ;)

*Edit*

As bad as GFWL is (and it's awful), it still isn't a deal-breaker in this instance.

AlternatePFG:
GFWL is certainly annoying, but I'll still definitely be picking it up on PC. The new content looks rad, even if it might end up as DLC on consoles anyway. Think you guys are overreacting a bit honestly, certainly GFWL is a nuisance, but I don't think it should be a deal breaker.

It's a lot easier for FROM to incorporate the online components of Dark Souls into GFWL which is very similar in framework to XBL, rather than Steam which would require them to do a total overhaul of the system.

i think the reason -people do get annoyed about gfwl is because if we don't make a fuss people will think its because gamers don't like the game, in recent memory iv not bought 3 games due to it.

(gotham city imposters, bulletstorm and bioshock 2)

All due to the pain in the ass it made playing arkham asylum/city (i made the mistake of thinking it would of been improved between the games NOOOO).

They need to be made aware that there are people who won't tolerate that mess (hell ubidrim and origin are better than it FFS). Its a blight on the pc gaming scene which just needs to go away.

It took me more time to VALIDATE a copy of a game then it took to download the entire thing through steam, when pirates claim that drm is getting in the way of the game, thats what their talking about.

Steve the Pocket:

I don't think you understand. Origin doesn't just monitor stuff; it actually uses your CPU and connection to run spambots and shit. Somebody caught it making fake accounts in support of a pro-EA petition.

Also Steam doesn't monitor anything besides your gaming habits. Where did you get that idea?

I see the men in tinfoil hats are out in force today.

Steve the Pocket:

I don't think you understand. Origin doesn't just monitor stuff; it actually uses your CPU and connection to run spambots and shit. Somebody caught it making fake accounts in support of a pro-EA petition.

Also Steam doesn't monitor anything besides your gaming habits. Where did you get that idea?

Proof. I want proof for such statements. Because you know what: If it is true than EA would have a shitload of fire under their asses except if the guy who found this out was an idiot. And an idiot won't be able to discover such things.

Still Life:

RhombusHatesYou:

Mr.K.:

A touch cynical there, Rhombus.

Even my wildest conspiracy theories didn't bridge that chasm ;)

Come on, everyone knows PC gamers are like stray cats - feed them once and they just keep showing up expecting food and making a godawful racket.

TheKasp:
I mean, do we really have this kind of peer-pressure in gaming that we can label games as "must play"?

What a bizarre take-away. Every medium with critics has 'musts,' they are near universal critical consensus, not peer pressure related. I've not played Skyrim but I'd certainly say the many times over GOTA deserves to be called 'must play.'

I had sworn that I will never buy again a GFWL game. Now I'm even more upset, because I will have to break my promise. Dark Souls is that good. Even broken, even unplayable, I just can't pass. I know I should be ashamed to say it...

TheKasp:

Steve the Pocket:

Proof. I want proof for such statements. Because you know what: If it is true than EA would have a shitload of fire under their asses except if the guy who found this out was an idiot. And an idiot won't be able to discover such things.

Why do you need proof? Aren't you convinced so far that all the actions EA has taken the last three years (at least) are basically against us gamers and the gaming industry? And even if they haven't exactly done the thing they are accused for, they are probably behind something else, of similar nature and equally unacceptable. These guys are ruthless, they just don't deserve my sympathy or my spirit of justness. They can go straight to hell. Sorry about that, it hasn't to do with you.

SajuukKhar:

GFWL prevented me from making save games in Fallout 3 50% of the time.

I can at least make save games on my Origin games consistently.

In Dead Rising 2: Off The Record it prevents me from making save files 100% of the time. For six months now I never succeeded to make it work, despite all the solutions that I tried and the 15 e-mail messages that I sent to them, both GFWL and Capcom. At the end I had to buy it again for the PS3 to finally play it. So 50% is a good score. You should be thankful to lady luck.

It may very well become a sole reason for me to ignore it. Not because of DRM or political reasons, but because there is a good chance the game will never run. And if it does I'm going to have to spend several hours trying to beat GFWL into submission.

It almost does seem like they just want a reason not to support the PC platform.

AlternatePFG:
It's a lot easier for FROM to incorporate the online components of Dark Souls into GFWL which is very similar in framework to XBL, rather than Steam which would require them to do a total overhaul of the system.

While that may be true, it would only be acceptable if GFWL didn't have a long standing history of not working well at all. Connection issues of the sort it is notorious for are unacceptable in a game with such a major online component, particularly when it is so integrated into the main game. It's not like you can just ignore it if you don't want to play multiplayer. The online integration is a pretty big part of even just going through the game alone.

And considering they run their own servers to host the online content on the PS3 at the very least, I'm not convinced that making it work on Steam or another platform is some insurmountable challenge.

My only two experiences so far with GFWL were with Gears of War PC (Please don't laugh) and Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising. The first experience went about as well as you'd expect. I lost all my progress on 3 separate occasions before ditching the game in disgust. However, I've had almost no problems with Dawn of War 2 or Chaos Rising, playing both campaigns to completion by myself and online with a friend, as well as the last stand mode (until we got bored of it). So while its not the most useful online service going around, it is (somewhat) getting better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked