Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Well usually if I miss an aspect of the game it's because it wasn't explained properly. As much as I love the Witcher 1, a lot of things tended to go over my head during the first two chapters since the game made very little effort to explain certain mechanics.

BiggyShackleton:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.

Oh good lord do I feel stupid! Having just played Fallout 3 & constantly tapping A infornt of a fountain!

Also just found out on this thread that you can iron sight in Bioshock 1! I thought they added it in in Bioshock 2!

There's another from a while ago but its not coming to mind!

Also my friend went through the whole of mass 1 without levelling up his character! He didn't realise you could!

Final Fantasy X.

On my way to go tear Sin a third corn chute when my buddy comes over, notices I'm about to take on Sin and asks to see how I've leveled my Aeons. To which I replied. "Did what to my Aeons?"

Yeah my dumb ass spent all 40+ hours of gameplay ignoring the fact that you could burn spheres to boost your Aeon abilities and stats.

Threx:
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"

In Dragon Age, Origins, I didn't know you could use the D-pad for anything. I played through the game twice not knowing this. My cousin picked up the game and in under 4 minutes figured out how.

Samantha Burt:

imahobbit4062:
I'm honestly shocked at the amount of people who have missed the sprint feature in games (why is Skyrim said so much?!). I usually figure out how to sprint the second I have control of the game.

Skyrim was a surprise because, to my recollection, the other four didn't have a sprint option.

Nope, but you could make your own spells, so you either made a runspeed spell, or (the much more comical, and useful) Jump spell, that let you traverse Morrowind in three big leaps.

And kinda befuddles me how you can miss the sprint-function? I played on PC, and all the loading-screens (and there are a lot of them) have tips, which bring up sprinting.

It took me to the near the end of the game before I found out there were (shitty)ironsights in Bioshock.

I didn't know there was sprinting in Skyrim until I saw a friend do it, and immediately remembered that they had actually had a bit of hype for adding a sprint feature.

I'm only just finding out now the whole "Hold A to drink continuously" in Fallout.

A friend discovered back button quicksaving in ME3 a good ways through the game, and then immediately told me.

A was a good ways into Far Cry 2 before I found out about the bus stations.

A friend of mine only found about 2 power nodes his entire first playthrough of Dead Space 2.

When I was younger, it took a while for me and a friend to realize that, in most shooters, you keep all the ammo left in the magazine when you reload. We just assumed games worked on real world logic.

And I only just realized today that there are some pokemon exclusive to Red, and some exclusive to Blue.

EDIT: Also, I didn't find out til near the end of the game that there is a bathroom in the captain's cabin in ME3.

ADDmuse:
I went through Riven in one shot until the last puzzle; which I didn't get because it was 2 AM and I was horribly sleep deprived. Quit the game, and in the morning my dad told me there was a save function. I went through the entire game without knowing there was a menu.

I... I am impressed sir. And somewhat terrified that you pulled that off.

captcha: have an inkling - hey now captcha. I've actually played the games in that series damnit.

I didn't realise until completing GTA IV that while locked on I could slightly nudge the analogue stick up to get a perfect headshot.

Realitycrash:

And kinda befuddles me how you can miss the sprint-function? I played on PC, and all the loading-screens (and there are a lot of them) have tips, which bring up sprinting.

Maybe its a PC thing then, cause on Xbox, I continually get the Dark Brotherhood chant in the loading screens. I never get a tip or hint that is useful.

In Fallout, I never knew that you could place live grenades or mines in an enemy's inventory until I saw a friend do it. It was nice to finally find a use for all those explosives since my throw could barely get me out of blast range.

On my second play through of Mass Effect 2, I learned how to switch weapons without going to the mini menu.

On my third, I learned how to put away weapons.

I took me about 2 years to figure out that there are 3 modes to to the mw2 ac130. Oh the nukes I missed out on.

1st playthrough of DA: Origins... didn't realize you could make your own lyrium or health potions!

i knew this from the start but did anyboddy else know you could use nova as a vangaurd in me3 by runing and holding b?

Threx:
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"

How the heck did he get past the ground missions the first time through without using the cannon? Yes he can get out to shoot troops, but what did he do when he encountered a Thresher Maw, run away?

Plus, I remember that those abilities like using the omni-gel to repair the Mako were actually shown at the bottom of the screen and had the corresponding button labeled near it to show you what to press.

Loop Stricken:
Mass Effect 3 uses Select on the 360 pad to quicksave.

Now this I can see missing. I didn't know until halfway through the game. The game doesn't explain it, and very rarely do I have to look at button maps so I didn't see it by looking at one of those, I just happened to accidentally press it when I was going for the 360 center menu button.

Terminate421:
Mass Effect 1 allowed me to add weapon mods. I learned this just before I fought Saren.

That just boggles my mind. What did you think all the equipment items in stores and in crates and lockers during missions were for? Heck, there's that whole menu that allows you to change guns, mods, and armor. I know at the bottom of the screen there were button labels that said what buttons were used for changing weapons and making upgrades.

Boy, the game most have been hard to beat even on casual with no upgrades.

Gennadios:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.

You didn't notice the box pop up in the middle of the screen that says, "Press B(or whatever button on your platform) to break free"

viranimus:
Mass effect 1 I did not even trip over any of the romance options, so I in essence had no lurve.

Is sort of odd how many of these are related to Mass effect.

I find it odd as well, other than the quick-save one, the others make me wonder about the attention spans of people these days(I mean no offense), cause the other points were clearly labeled in game.

I find yours a little strange. I would ask, how often do you talk to the characters in game? With the Mass Effect games, I tended to talk to each character on the ship after every missions, just to see if they had something new to say.

Even though the romance options didn't have labels, I would think they would be kind of obvious with how they are worded.

Quala:

EDIT: Also, I didn't find out til near the end of the game that there is a bathroom in the captain's cabin in ME3.

I can one-up that. I found out about half-way through Mass Effect 3 about the bathroom, then on my next play-through of Mass Effect 2 (third play-through overall of it) I realized there was a bathroom in the captain's cabin in that game too.

OT: Dunno if it's a game-play feature or not, but my first time through Final Fantasy VII I never grouped up with Yuffie or Vincent.

Not really, but I went through all of Dark Souls without parrying, only to find out the last boss' weakness.

ArkhamJester:
I play Shin megaten devil survivor 1 twice, it wasn't until I played the sequel that I found out the first game had a skill pool of every skill I ever cracked. That stung a little...

Huh? I don't quite follow what you mean.

I finished AssCreed Revelations without (outside of the stupid arbitrary tutorials) used a single bomb or played that stupid den defense game. What a load of shit.

I played through Bioshock about 4 times before I realized that if I used my research camera I would gain extra tonics and other bonuses.

Das Boot:

Darth Carr:
That LB sprints in Skyrim.
It took me 4 characters and owning the game since launch to find out that you can sprint.
Suddenly I can get to places faster :D

\

How does it make you feel knowing that they tell you how to sprint within the first thirty minutes of the game?

Wait, what? when?

I never really payed attention to anything during that bit in Helgen, apart from Alduin trying to murder me.

I never had to issue any squad-orders in Mass Effect or 2 (outside of the mandatory tutorial ones)

I never played Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer either.

That's all I've got off the top of my head.

Susan Arendt:

ArkhamJester:
I play Shin megaten devil survivor 1 twice, it wasn't until I played the sequel that I found out the first game had a skill pool of every skill I ever cracked. That stung a little...

Huh? I don't quite follow what you mean.

Oh. Sorry, in Devil survivor you get skills for your human characters by "cracking" skills from demons you defeat, however any given character only has so many slots so of course you have to give up some skills along the way... some skills you wish you didn't give up... And it wasn't until the sequel that I found out that the previous game (and the sequel) had a skill pool that I could have taken those old cracked skills from. I played through the game twice without knowing what should have been an essential resource.

Long, long ago, in the Commodore 64 days, I found a strangely difficult way to pass by a dragon that incinerated you as you tried to make it to the next stage of The Last Ninja. This involved split-second timing, very precise positioning, and, apparently, a glitch in the game.

I only found out recently that that wasn't how you were supposed to get by said dragon. You were just supposed to stun the stupid thing with a smoke bomb.

I remember playing the newest Deus Ex and having it explained to me about 20 hours in how to actually walk up to a mine and disarm it.

Also the silent footsteps thing, I bought that and immediately assumed it was always on, took me until the DLC to work that out.

Did'nt know how to Quicksave in Stalker: Clear Sky, until I hit F5 on accident

As a Kid I also never learned how to use Sabin's (Final Fantasy 6)Blitz moves and thought he was useless...
Suplex...my best friend

In Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, you gain abilities from magic symbols called glyphs. Bosses usually drop them, and they float in the air waiting for you to absorb them. Also enemies sometimes give you abilities, but they go straight to you, I believe. What I didn't put together is that a lot of enemies have magic abilities that makes a glyph appear before the attack comes, and you can absorb that to both cancel it and get the ability yourself. I did not realize this until the final dungeon where one boss is unbeatable unless you absorb his ability to go through objects, thereby crushing him inside a wall. I missed so many great abilities! Especially the ones from certain attecks of bosses, that only appear once!

I also never knew you could run from battles in Chrono Trigger, only recently seeing it in the comments for a Let's Play.

Ryu-Kage:
You know those giant boulders you see all the time in Super Mario Galaxy? The ones with the big red gems in them? I didn't realize that you could destroy those by spinning into them until I fought Bowser for the last time. I kept running away from Bowser in his boulder form for like five minutes trying to hit him in a moment of weakness, but said moment never came. Finally, I started to wonder if I was supposed to punch his face while he rolled toward me. After that worked and I eventually beat Bowser, I went back to Honeyhive Galaxy and tried the same thing on the boulders when the red gem was close. Whoa! Look at all those Star Bits!

I had _no_ idea. Now I feel like going back just to test this.

ajemas:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.

Hahaha I've played through Bioshock at least 10 times on 360 & PC & didn't know that, at least I can't remember it. I never knew about squad commands in Gears of War until I did it by accident. I played through Deus Ex almost 3/4 of the way through before I realized you could upgrade your inventory & make it larger.

ajemas:
You can apparently aim down ironsights in Bioshock, something which would have come handy during some of the earlier parts of the game.

Wow, I've played through that game 3 times and didn't realise that. So I suppose that's my response to this thread.

Edit: Wow, just went through the thread and realised you got quoted incessantly, so sorry for adding to the tidal wave. I guess it's just a really common lack of insight.

Do they not tell you at any point in the game or am I just ignorant of obvious prompts?

bigfatcarp93:
Played through all of Assassin's Creed 2. Twice. Then, five minutes into Brotherhood, I found out how to do a high-profile assassination. Because... you know... I'm a fucking genius.

My cousin showed me Brotherhood for the first time, and it took BOTH of us fifteen minutes to figure out how I'd chain-killed twenty guards in his midway-through save file (~8 health squares, middling armor and weapons). I'd played 1 and 2, but the massacre I'd just produced confused the heck out of us until we found the explanation in one of the dev pre-launch v-logs. Very sad, but we had TONS of fun while we figured out how to replicate it.

Justyn Stahll:
Did'nt know how to Quicksave in Stalker: Clear Sky, until I hit F5 on accident

I went through at least 5 games with a quicksave function before I figured out what it meant. /sigh

Sonic Doctor:

Gennadios:
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.

You didn't notice the box pop up in the middle of the screen that says, "Press B(or whatever button on your platform) to break free"

Thing is it never popped up (at least for me) in single player. I saw the box in multiplayer and went back to try it, but the prompt never actually appeared.

BiggyShackleton:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.

this... didnt figure it out till near the end of my second character of NV... and had 2 friends who played the games miss it too lol :/

Did you know you can incapacitate a random inmate with a Sonic Shock Batarang in Arkham Asylum? I thought they were purely a diversion! I didn't use it until my THIRD playthrough.

And then there was the time I tried to get through Prince of Persia: Sands of Time with only basic combat skills. Why? Because I completely forgot about those special attack moves they tries to teach you early. The moment I realized they could make my life easier, not only could I not look them up, I was already so far into the story that I was on the verge of the end of the game. Stopped me cold.

It took me 9 months into EVE Online to realize that you were supposed to active tank PVE ships.

"Oh, you mean I'm supposed to put a shield booster on that Loki?"

Additionally, I don't know if this counts, but I went YEARS in various Pokemon games thinking that moving the d-pad in the direction the ball moves when you try to catch something got you an automatic catch. It doesn't, but for some reason I still do that anyway :/

Realitycrash:

Samantha Burt:

imahobbit4062:
I'm honestly shocked at the amount of people who have missed the sprint feature in games (why is Skyrim said so much?!). I usually figure out how to sprint the second I have control of the game.

Skyrim was a surprise because, to my recollection, the other four didn't have a sprint option.

Nope, but you could make your own spells, so you either made a runspeed spell, or (the much more comical, and useful) Jump spell, that let you traverse Morrowind in three big leaps.

Is this an Xbox thing? Because the PC version of Morrowind definitely has a sprint function.

I beat Shadow of the Colossus without ever knowing I could stand on my horse and aim backwards. Or half the other fancy things you can do with that horse. That would have made the fight with the sand worm SO MUCH EASIER. Stupid horse...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked