Is it worth it to get mass effect 3
Yeah get it now
57.1% (105)
57.1% (105)
Get Dues ex:Human revolution instead
41.3% (76)
41.3% (76)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Is it worth it to get mass effect 3?

Pages PREV 1 2

Played both. Loved Deus Ex HR. Thought ME3 was quite shit through and through. While both had shit endings, at least Deus Ex was sorta in tune to the themes. Also, the takedown animations never get old.

The ending to mass Effect 3 may suck, but everything up to it is fine. If you think it's about the journey not the destination then you will replay it. If you only care about how things end up in the end then you won't. Yeah it's a good game I had more fun with it then HR.

I'm gonna go with both (no, I don't care if you don't have the money!!)

Be warned, though. Unless Mass Effect 2 was up your alley (as opposed to Mass Effect 1), you might not like Mass Effect 3.

Get whichever one's cheaper, they're both brilliant games. Although I'd recommend you get the original Deus Ex first - hit it up on GOG, you don't get any DRM that way.

Mass Effect 3 is incredible, albeit I preferred the second one (additionally, play that before you play 3 if you can.) I only played Deus Ex briefly and couldn't get in to it if I'm honest. Mass Effect is one of my favourite series - as soon as I completed it I started a new game immediately.

Zhukov:
If you liked the previous two games, especially ME2, then chances are you'll love 99.9% of ME3.

Once you're done, this will help ease the pain of that last 0.1%.

Human Revolution is good too. I'd definitely recommend getting it at some point, even though the ending is almost as shit as ME3's.

Oh god, thank you for that! I'd never seen that before and that's some great (albeit fan servicey) writing :)

For all those saying the ending never did and never could make sense, run through that.

If you enjoyed the first one and had your socks blown off by the second one then i believe you will LOVE ME3 all the way up to the last few minutes of the game. But that's just from my own personal experience mind you. So yea i say buy it and "Finish" the trilogy...

GoGoFrenzy:
No. Just buy it used and play it on your Xbox. Even better would be to just rent ME 3 because I assure you you will NOT be replaying Mass Effect 3 like you did Mass Effect 2. I have yet to meet one person who replayed ME3 after suffering through the trash ending. Not worth paying full price for that disappointment.

**By the way there's more wrong with it than just the ending. I had plot errors/inconsistencies with decisions made in my previous game. Really frustrating ones like Liara acting like the Shadow Broker run with my Shep never happened.**

Anyway, you sure as heck don't want Origin in your pc. Also, you will turn blue in the face and keel over dead if you hold your breath for a ME 3 sale on Origin.

Mass Effect 2 was the best game of all three.

If you want to see how much a slap in the face ME 3 is I suggest going over to the Bioware forums and hear it from the fanatics that live and breathe Mass Effect. There is even a non spoiler section.

I've played ME3 twice and enjoyed both playthroughs (save for the last 10 mins) though ):

w9496:
It's a great game as long as you play for the journey and not to reach the destination(ending).

heartily agree. well worth playing regardless of the end.

ME3 is at best an average game.

It has its moments - Rannoch, Tuchanka - but for the most part is IMO the worst game Bioware has made. Even DA2 was better for me.

This comes from me not giving 2 f***s about the Shooting mechanics though. I'm in it for the RPG stuff - being in control of Shepard, making their decisions, deciding their views, non-linearity in the story, choice and consequence - ect.

If you care more about the shooting and the general story, and don't mind a Deus Ex Machina/Diabolous Ex Machina/Magic Bullet being used - then you might like it.

If you liked picking Shepard's dialogue, liked being able to choose which order you did your missions in, and hoped there would be some reasonable level of consequence for your actions - you will be sorely disappointed.

Many of the big decisions in ME1 and ME2 have a very minimal effect in ME3. Example:

Many other choices get the same treatment, and the most I've seen a choice affect something is with 1 or 2 squad members.

Also note: There is a lot of dissatisfaction with the ME2 romance threads in ME3. I have to agree in all honesty. Its Liara giving you all the close personal talks, and ME2 romances are generally off to the side and brief, generally without feeling in my experience. Can't speak for Garrus or Tali though. Oh, and do not have romanced Jacob if you value your sanity.

The ending... Is crap. Its just bad. The complaints have been bought up numerous times, but if you don't mind how cheap and rushed it feels, how it doesn't give you a final confrontation with the main antagonist - Harbinger - instead replacing them with the Catalyst, how the reasoning behind the Reapers is extremely anti-climactic and also far too related to the Rannoch arc to be effective, then the EC might fix that. Otherwise, its just bad.

DX:HR on the other hand is a well made and polished game through and through - excluding the boss fights. It maintains a good atmosphere, does not feel rushed in the slightest, and your choices do have some consequences later on [Excluding the boss fights]. The downside is that IMO its not worth more than one playthrough. You can do everything in one playthrough, and unless you're an achievement hunter, or happy to go through the same thing over and over, there is little reason to replay the game.
The end is, admittedly, not too great. However, it at least gives you the option to abstain, and fits rather well with the rest of the game.

Either way, my vote went with HR. Even though it may be worth only one playthrough, dependent on how good a player of DX you are, that playthrough could last longer than a ME3 playthrough, and would be more satisfying as well.

number2301:

Oh god, thank you for that! I'd never seen that before and that's some great (albeit fan servicey) writing :)

For all those saying the ending never did and never could make sense, run through that.

Already been through it multiple times. Still doesn't fix my issues with the ending. Its some nice Fanfic, and probably on par with what I'm expecting from Bioware at this point, but it doesn't fix anything.

I'd say get DX: HR and wait for ME3's price to drop.

I have played both and preferred mass effect overall. Both have in my opinion unsatisfying endings but I found Deus Ex to be worse when it came to the end was very disappointed.

Mass effect if you have played the first two and have a save to import is a richer game on a whole due to references and things you notice and characters from the previous two games.

Deus Ex has good solid gameplay, fun stealth and terrible boss fights, the story is pretty good as well but I found the conclusion very unsatisfying overall. Playing the dlc atm as I got it on sale and it's really fun to play again and sneak about in pipes.

Joccaren:

number2301:

Already been through it multiple times. Still doesn't fix my issues with the ending. Its some nice Fanfic, and probably on par with what I'm expecting from Bioware at this point, but it doesn't fix anything.

You're being pedantic. I haven't seen a single example of why the ending was broken which didn't have a perfectly plausible explanation.

Yes it was unsatisfying, yes it was bad, but don't act like it was objectively wrong in any way.

Deus Ex wins this one by miles. Not that ME3 is a bad game, but Deus Ex is just that much better.

until that absolute very last scene, everything is pure gold, until the very final in game choice, the entire game is perfect so yes definitely buy it

number2301:

You're being pedantic. I haven't seen a single example of why the ending was broken which didn't have a perfectly plausible explanation.

Yes it was unsatisfying, yes it was bad, but don't act like it was objectively wrong in any way.

Objective is an interesting word, and rather pointless for such discussions. Big Rig Truckers is not objectively bad, but its bad. If you mean wrong in a technical way, then read some of the English Lit write ups on the ending.

Apart from that, why does it have to be a technical issue with the ending for it to be a problem EC will not fix?
The mechanical gameplay during the ending was bland and boring.
The Star Kid was a bad idea, and I do not like it.
There was no Harbinger [30 second generic Reaper that you are just told is Harbinger cameo does not count] - you know, the main enemy since ME2.
Choices do not mechanically influence the ending, and will not mechanically influence the ending.
The Deus Ex Machina is extremely cheap [And poor writing] and ineffective, and needs to go.
The Diabolous Ex Machina is extremely cheap [And poor writing] and ineffective, and needs to go.
The Normandy Crash and Relay explosions need to go.
The Reapers need either no explanation given, or a proper explanation that doesn't play off the Rannoch arc in a cheap and ineffective way.

and a number of other issues that I feel need to be fixed.
The link makes things better for the current endings, but it doesn't make them good. At least not IMO.

Joccaren, you should spoiler tag some of your stuff since the OP hasn't played the game yet.

Mcupobob:
So I ask you escapist, is it worth it to get on origin to finish up the story?

ME3 : is one of most depressing games i've ever had....uhhhh.... "pleasure" of playing. It's not bad, actually it's very good, but the message it sends is clear : "futility". "There's really no point".
DX:HR on the other hand is all about "whatever man, i don't care". Nothing you can do in the game really means anything - the endings are acquired via talking to key persons in the last stage.

So, to be honest, i don't consider any of those games worth buying. Sure, there's some fun, drama and stuff, but at the end you're left with scars on your heart and soul instead of this wonderful feeling that once again you were a hero and your actions meant something. ;]

Deus Ex HR is cool, but ME3 is much better. The ending isn't bad like the interent cries, it's just not that great. But the hundred odd hours spent on the trilogy is worth the average last fifteen or so minutes.

the gameplay is solid, I enjoyed the combat in it. It does have a not so great ending but I still play it for the combat. multiplayer is fun and a good way to pass the time but it does get old after playing it over and over again. the thing that killed it was the online pass, I don't think it's that good to need an online pass to play. but over all if u have gamefly, rent it, or buy it when the price comes down.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked