Words that gamers use that make you CRINGE!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

gay whenever they describe something colourfull

Crono1973:

DJjaffacake:

Crono1973:
- Immersion (must be those people who tie their kids up/let them starve while they play video games, I want no part of that)

Except it isn't. Immersion is feeling like you are in the game, not spending hours playing it. Most people who like immersion like it because they also like RPGs, specifically the roleplaying part, not because they are bad parents. That is a ridiculous suggestion.

Immersion is what people typing it want it to mean.

Like "mounted combat in Skyrim was needed, it was killing immersion". Someone actually typed that. If you can identify a missing feature and claim it's killing immersion then it's not immersion, that's called over analyzing and guessing. How the fuck can anyone know what's killing immersion if it was never in the game in the first place. Maybe it's because the mounted combat in Oblivion was so awesome? Did they expect Zelda quality mounted combat from Bethesda? After the terrible horseback riding in Oblivion that most people avoided once they tried it!

Immersion is on my list of words that make me cringe because people throw it around too much making it meaningless. Oh and yes, if you are so into a game that your kid starves or drowns, that's immersion!

In that context it is stupid, yes, but that doesn't make the word cringeworthy whenever its used. It's perfectly valid to say, I enjoy x game because I can get really immersed in it, it feels like a real world. Although possibly with dragons. It's like saying the word sausage is dirty. It can be, but only when used in that way, not everyone who says sausage is making a dick joke. The same can be applied to immersion. If someone says, "not being able to kill children is breaking the immersion," they may well be the kind of person you described, but that doesn't mean everyone who ever uses the word is like that.

Vault101:

for me its "gamers"

"Im a gamer"
"the gamer comuntiy"
"gamer this"
"gamer that"
"gamer lifestyle"
"gamer food"

like wer'e a cult or somthing

Well, I knew that at least one of mine would be ninja'd.

"Gamer" (and by extension the lesser-used "girl gamer") is definitely a big one for me, because of stupid stereotypes that are becoming less and less true every day, such as the whole mind-set that "Games are for children!" and that "It's a video game, so it MUST be fine for my eight-year old!"

So, no, as Yahtzee said in Extra Punctuation, I try not to use the term "Gamer" to describe myself whenever I can help it. I'm "a person who enjoys video games". It's unwieldy, but I don't care.

Also, "Dumbed down". Removal of things that were in a previous game doesn't necessarily automatically mean the game requires you to think less. Especially when said things were needlessly obtuse and worthless because you were railroaded into a specific method of choosing them anyway. Usually in reference to RPGs and games with heavy RPG elements. It's a stupid buzzword that has lost almost all of its meaning now because people throw it out over every goddamn little change without even playing the game they're accusing of "being dumbed down" first.

EDIT: Also, since I just thought of it while posting my next post in this thread, by extension "dumbed down for consoles" really bugs me. Just because consoles have less buttons than keyboards doesn't mean the games require any less tactical strategy. Controllers are worse for things like RTS games, yes, and that's why we don't see many of those on consoles.
But Crysis 2 wasn't "dumbed down" to work on consoles just because the nanosuit had a more streamlined way of being used than "hold down the button to bring up a wheel, then scroll your mouse to select the appropriate power and release" (which was all still in the game anyway on the PC version). Who the hell even used the damn "lean" buttons anyway? And it wasn't "dumbed down" because the speed function worked as a normal sprint. It wasn't "dumbed down" because the world of the first Crysis was moderately open despite having extremely linear objectives and nothing to do in the rest of that open world other than getting to the next objective. Well, that's a bit of a tangent though. And will likely draw the ire of some person who hated Crysis 2.

And less a word, but people who go on and on and on about how great old games were and how crappy games are today, and that modern sequels to old franchises should be the EXACT. SAME. GAME. As the last one in the franchise that was released twelve years ago.

One last thing, also not really a "word" per se, but PC elitists who feel the need to tout their superiority for having a $3000 machine. Look, I get it, your rig won't be obsolete until after the next console gen comes out because you went so far into overkill territory that you've got power to spare because there isn't a single damn game that will be released this generation that will take advantage of your hardware, but don't start shoving your smug ego down everyone else's throats, especially when those other people primarily like to game on the PC too.

DJjaffacake:

Crono1973:

DJjaffacake:
Except it isn't. Immersion is feeling like you are in the game, not spending hours playing it. Most people who like immersion like it because they also like RPGs, specifically the roleplaying part, not because they are bad parents. That is a ridiculous suggestion.

Immersion is what people typing it want it to mean.

Like "mounted combat in Skyrim was needed, it was killing immersion". Someone actually typed that. If you can identify a missing feature and claim it's killing immersion then it's not immersion, that's called over analyzing and guessing. How the fuck can anyone know what's killing immersion if it was never in the game in the first place. Maybe it's because the mounted combat in Oblivion was so awesome? Did they expect Zelda quality mounted combat from Bethesda? After the terrible horseback riding in Oblivion that most people avoided once they tried it!

Immersion is on my list of words that make me cringe because people throw it around too much making it meaningless. Oh and yes, if you are so into a game that your kid starves or drowns, that's immersion!

In that context it is stupid, yes, but that doesn't make the word cringeworthy whenever its used. It's perfectly valid to say, I enjoy x game because I can get really immersed in it, it feels like a real world. Although possibly with dragons. It's like saying the word sausage is dirty. It can be, but only when used in that way, not everyone who says sausage is making a dick joke. The same can be applied to immersion. If someone says, "not being able to kill children is breaking the immersion," they may well be the kind of person you described, but that doesn't mean everyone who ever uses the word is like that.

You want to go through and tell everyone else that what THEY consider cringe worthy, actually isn't?

It's called an opinion. I think the word is overused and misused and therefore I cringe when I see someone type it.

shrekfan246:

One last thing, also not really a "word" per se, but PC elitists who feel the need to tout their superiority for having a $3000 machine. Look, I get it, your rig won't be obsolete until after the next console gen comes out because you went so far into overkill territory that you've got power to spare because there isn't a single damn game that will be released this generation that will take advantage of your hardware, but don't start shoving your smug ego down everyone else's throats, especially when those other people primarily like to game on the PC too.

I was going to post my dislike of people who use the term "PC gaming master race", mostly for the reason you mentioned, but also because:
1-They seem to have forgotten that the Nazis (The ones who popularized the phrase and the first thing people think of when they hear "master race") were the bad guys. I hate to invoke Godwin's, but what else are we supposed to think of with that phrasing?
2-They believe that since they have to concern themselves with system specs and whatnot, anyone who plays a console knows nothing of technology and are a bunch of idiots with a My First Gaming Platform toy.
3-As a result, they tend towards being insufferably smug whenever something bad happens to console games. For instance, once PSN got hacked and XBox Live was at risk a bunch of people were commenting "This would never happen ON STEAM! DID I MENTION I USE A PC TO GAME?"
4-Whenever a game dares to be exclusive to consoles, they bitch and whine about it endlessly, but gloat about any game that happens to be PC exlusive.

This isn't directed at all PC gamers, since I am one myself, but it's people who believe themselves to be "better" gamers than everyone else solely because they play games in a different way to other people who give the rest of us a bad name.

rebelscum:

shrekfan246:

I was going to post my dislike of people who use the term "PC gaming master race", mostly for the reason you mentioned, but also because:
1-They seem to have forgotten that the Nazis (The ones who popularized the phrase and the first thing people think of when they hear "master race") were the bad guys. I hate to invoke Godwin's, but what else are we supposed to think of with that phrasing?
2-They believe that since they have to concern themselves with system specs and whatnot, anyone who plays a console knows nothing of technology and are a bunch of idiots with a My First Gaming Platform toy.
3-As a result, they tend towards being insufferably smug whenever something bad happens to console games. For instance, once PSN got hacked and XBox Live was at risk a bunch of people were commenting "This would never happen ON STEAM! DID I MENTION I USE A PC TO GAME?"
4-Whenever a game dares to be exclusive to consoles, they bitch and whine about it endlessly, but gloat about any game that happens to be PC exlusive.

This isn't directed at all PC gamers, since I am one myself, but it's people who believe themselves to be "better" gamers than everyone else solely because they play games in a different way to other people who give the rest of us a bad name.

To add to your point, if you bought Skyrim on the PS3, it wasn't Bethesda's fault that the game ran like shit, it was your fault that you didn't buy it on PC.

rebelscum:

Don't forget that every single multi-platform game is a "horrible console port" (Note: There are legitimately bad ports of games, like Binary Domain, but people were saying The Witcher 2 was a consolised piece of garbage shortly after it came out, and I'll note that it didn't even have a console release date back then) or any game that used to be PC-exclusive and moved to PCs AND consoles is "dumbed down for console tards".

EDIT: And I primarily play games on the PC as well.

Rape, faggot, fag, and any gamer tag or gamer name that involves smoking pot. If I'm playing with someone on my team named "420BluntBoy", I'm going to use them as bait.

Noob.
Pl0x.
Art.
Entitled.
Scrub.
Epic.

Those words no longer hold any meaning due to over use but muppets still throw them around like jelly beans.

Crono1973:

Yeah, I got sick of being beat over the head with "games are art, you can't criticize them" real damn quick. My response: "Ok, let Bioware be starving artists."

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Yeah, that last bit I never understood. If they are art, shouldn't I be allowed to criticize them? You know, like critics of other mediums do? It amazes me with people sometimes.

Gamers who misquote and generalize an entire movement based on a few morons who speak in their corner.

Yeah, I FUCKING HATE THAT!

"noob"
"art"
"leet"
"casual"
"hardcore"
Etc, etc...

Art

This word should stay about 100 sentences away from anything game related. At least for the next year or so.

The whole word has lost its meaning and impact by being thrown around so casually. Oh wait, that's another over used word, crap.

Any kind of Call of Duty terminology :O

Crono1973:
Alot of words get thrown around too much by gamers, which ones bother you the most? For me it's:

- Entitled (It's normal for a business to be greedy but a customer wanting to get his money worth is entitled)
- Immersion (must be those people who tie their kids up/let them starve while they play video games, I want no part of that)

You know what word makes me cringe OP?

"GAMER"

basing a social persona around a freaking hobby, are people so devoid of Identity these days that they need to tag themselves like this just to feel as part of a group?

Oh yeah and:

- Mob (When did enemies become mobs?)

boag:

Crono1973:
Alot of words get thrown around too much by gamers, which ones bother you the most? For me it's:

- Entitled (It's normal for a business to be greedy but a customer wanting to get his money worth is entitled)

You know what word makes me cringe OP?

"GAMER"

basing a social persona around a freaking hobby, are people so devoid of Identity these days that they need to tag themselves like this just to feel as part of a group?

Well, people label themselves by their job so why not by hobbies (which they no doubt enjoy more than their jobs).

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

Yeah, I got sick of being beat over the head with "games are art, you can't criticize them" real damn quick. My response: "Ok, let Bioware be starving artists."

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Yeah, that last bit I never understood. If they are art, shouldn't I be allowed to criticize them? You know, like critics of other mediums do? It amazes me with people sometimes.

Gamers who misquote and generalize an entire movement based on a few morons who speak in their corner.

Actually I was aiming that at the few people that do that, I wasn't generalizing anyone. That would be stupid.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Actually I was aiming that at the few people that do that, I wasn't generalizing anyone. That would be stupid.

I wasn't sure about you, to be honest, but the OP responded to your first post and then you responded in agreement. It's the OPs response (the bolded part) that irked me more...

But yeah, my point still stands, it's incredibly frustrating to try and advocate something with nothing but positive intentions, only for people to misconstrue the conditions for their own goals and agendas, resulting in an ever expanding reservoir of negativity.

Don't take it personally, I don't actually believe people think in such extremes, but when that argument is used against me (something I'm completely against) it strains my patience with any debate. I don't associate with the people who only use art as an argument to defend tripe... even artists are accountable for errors and poor quality.

Although, that said, I've grown weary of debating art in games and of games on this site. It's become trendy to wail on it since the ME3 fiasco... probably even earlier then that (since the cataclysm that was Extra Credits vs Escapist maybe?).

Ragsnstitches:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Ragsnstitches:

I wasn't sure about you, to be honest, but the OP responded to your first post and then you responded in agreement. It's the OPs response (the bolded part) that irked me more...

But yeah, my point still stands, it's incredibly frustrating to try and advocate something with nothing but positive intentions, only for people to misconstrue the conditions for their own goals and agendas, resulting in an ever expanding reservoir of negativity.

Don't take it personally, I don't actually believe people think in such extremes, but when that argument is used against me (something I'm completely against) it strains my patience with any debate.

Oh, no harm no foul.

I assumed we were on the same page, but I guess I might've interpreted it wrong. But I totally see what you're coming from, and that's also another of my problems with people, and it's part of the whole art thing. You already stated it, it is frustrating and games deserve better treatment than this, but hopefully this will become a non-issue and we can talk about other things. Like space!

Crono1973:
Oh yeah and:

- Mob (When did enemies become mobs?)

Since MMORPGs became popular enough to generate slang?

When people call a goal a "Sweaty" on FIFA it really gets me pissed.

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Hmm, maybe you could show me where I generalized a whole movement? I said that:

I got sick of being beat over the head with "games are art, you can't criticize them" real damn quick.

I didn't say everyone says that.

Crono1973:

That would be my first choice. For many gamers the word has lost all meaning and it's just a cop-out now.

A new one for me would be "camping." It used to be a camper was someone who spent the entire match in the same corner with a sniper rifle. Now some d-bags will start bichin about you camping if you sit still for 15 seconds.

You guys are too sensitive for your own good.

The games-not-art discussion is mildly interesting.
Leetspeak is a harmless bit of silliness.
Words like entitlement, newb, casual and core can be used correctly.

Lighten up. All this stuff is still about fun and games.
Laugh about it. You'll live longer.

Crono1973:

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

I got sick of being beat over the head with "games are art, you can't criticize them" real damn quick.

No you didn't. But I still hate it when people use that line when supporting the idea of Art as an insufferable topic.

Last time this thread rolled around, somebody mentioned the term "hard-scoping," which is a scathing remark aimed at snipers who actually scope in, take aim, and then fire. You know, like how a sniper is supposed to.
Apparently proper sniping is now ridiculed amongst the quick/no scoping dumbshit kids who occupy the multiplayer universe.

(After reading about it for a while, the word "scope" stops feeling real.)

"Noob", "Fanboy", and "Tryhard"

Noob is used wrong so often, i don't say it as almost no one knows its real meaning.

Fanboy is a generic insult to someone who likes something you hate.

Tryhard is just... silly.

"Pro" and "Elite/Leet/1337/whatever" are the worst offenders for me. Whenever I hear those terms to describe one's skill or performance, I can't help but think of an arrogant bully who considers himself/herself as the member of a "superior" class of players, dismissing other players as pawns (or noobs) that serve no other purpose than to provide entertainment to the "true" players like him/her.

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

Ragsnstitches:

No you didn't. But I still hate it when people use that line when supporting the idea of Art as an insufferable topic.

People say it and I hate when people say it and yes, it's made people sick to death of hearing about "games are art". Still not saying that everyone says it, just saying that those who do say it are frustrating many people.

In general: any iteration of noob, leet, ownage,... you get the idea. But only when said with a straight face.

In tf2: "omg less spies and snipers!"
It doesn't matter if you're right or not, it's a public server! Noone is gonna listen! So deal with it or find another server. It also doesn't help that "too many spies and snipers" is apparently always an acceptable reason for losing, regardless of how many spies/snipers the team has and how good they are.
Though I'll admit beginner snipers/spies can be painfully useless but have you ever considered there really is only one way for them to get better? That's right: pubbing.
But no doubt the worst is when someone tells ME specifically to stop playing spy. Darling please... With 1500+ hours of spy practice I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing mmkay? And I'll switch classes when I feel it's necessary. Which, incidentally, is pretty much never since those 1500+ hours have left me with a very particular set of skills... Skills that make me a nightmare to any opposing team, in any situation. So kindly stfu or I WILL switch team and you WILL be crying for moar pyros within minutes. (not that it will even matter, standard cloak ftw)

/egotrip

Crono1973:

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

People say it and I hate when people say it and yes, it's made people sick to death of hearing about "games are art". Still not saying that everyone says it, just saying that those who do say it are frustrating many people.

That's fine, all I was doing was selecting your quote, adding a bit of personal frustration from an argument I had before and decided that was the most aggravating thing I've ever had to deal with on this site.

Nothing personal really. But every time I see that line, regardless of context, I see red.

"Overpowered" usually when used in mmo's pvp. just peoples way of diverting from the fact that someone can beat them by blaming their loss on a particular ability.

Crono1973:

Although no certain words were used that make me cringe, the OP has done the gamer thing of writing your opinions on any game related stuff as facts. Just a completely arrogant thing to do.

Ragsnstitches:

Crono1973:

Ragsnstitches:

That's fine, all I was doing was selecting your quote, adding a bit of personal frustration from an argument I had before and decided that was the most aggravating thing I've ever had to deal with on this site.

Nothing personal really. But every time I see that line, regardless of context, I see red.

It's all good.

To avoid a low content warning (it really is ridiculous that I can't just leave it at "it's all good"): Let me just say that art really is a meaningless word considering that art is based on ones own opinion. I don't consider someone splashing paint on a canvas to be art but there are people who do.

'pl0x' and 'teh' irritate me the most. I am concerned about the people that use these terms along with leet speak as they think they are cool but just show themselves up as plain retarded.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked