iOS game lets you beat your boyfriend

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Honestly, I find this hysterical.

Not so much the app itself as the response to it. It's a pointless little iOS game that no one with any sense would take seriously, yet people are getting all up in arms about it. I just find it silly as hell.

Agayek:
Honestly, I find this hysterical.

Not so much the app itself as the response to it. It's a pointless little iOS game that no one with any sense would take seriously, yet people are getting all up in arms about it. I just find it silly as hell.

So, an app where a man would beat his girlfriend until she was perfect would be fine too?

I'm quite glad this was made. Maybe now both genders can agree that being objectified in any media is just tasteless and won't be accepted.

A part of me wonders if that was the whole point of this game; to, well...make a point.

Crono1973:
So, an app where a man would beat his girlfriend until she was perfect would be fine too?

Of course.

It's tasteless and stupid, just like this one is, but it's still a stupid iOS game that no one with any sense would take seriously.

Getting all butthurt because someone said something you don't like is the height of stupidity (and arrogance).

This would absolutely change if there was actual domestic abuse involved, but as long as it's restricted to cartoons/actors/fakery, there's no reason whatsoever to get so offended by it.

jollybarracuda:
I'm quite glad this was made. Maybe now both genders can agree that being objectified in any media is just tasteless and won't be accepted.

A part of me wonders if that was the whole point of this game; to, well...make a point.

It's in the category "Girl Games", it's target audience is girls.

Agayek:

Crono1973:

Of course.

It's tasteless and stupid, just like this one is, but it's still a stupid iOS game that no one with any sense would take seriously.

Getting all butthurt because someone said something you don't like is the height of stupidity.

This would absolutely change if there was actual domestic abuse involved, but as long as it's restricted to cartoons/actors/fakery, there's no reason whatsoever to get so offended by it.

You haven't been around the block much if you think no one would take it seriously, feminists would bitch non stop about such an app and you know it.

This is pretty horrible. I hope they take it down :S

Crono, seriously now. Your whining is giving me diarrhea. You keep going on about how feminists would complain about the opposite game, but you whine worse than they would. You're not some crusader, you're not some righter of wrongs, you're some whiny dude in the internet that's less manly that most of the women I know. Life isn't fair, deal with it.

Crono1973:
You haven't been around the block much if you think no one would take it seriously, feminists would bitch non stop about such an app and you know it.

Of course they would. They don't have any sense.

Fake depictions of anything, regardless of content, should not offend anyone. All it is is a statement of ideas. Feel free to disagree, and if you do, I'd encourage you to argue with the creators, but do not attempt to silence them.

The free exchange of ideas explicitly means you will be exposed to ideas you don't like. It's far preferable to risk that exposure than it is to miss out on the good ideas. Especially when you can provide proof (or compelling arguments) that the ideas you don't like are wrong.

CountArioch:
Crono, seriously now. Your whining is giving me diarrhea. You keep going on about how feminists would complain about the opposite game, but you whine worse than they would. You're not some crusader, you're not some righter of wrongs, you're some whiny dude in the internet that's less manly that most of the women I know. Life isn't fair, deal with it.

No, you are biased and only care about violence against women. Violence against men is fine and people who talk about it are whiners.

Agayek:

The free exchange of ideas explicitly means you will be exposed to ideas you don't like. It's far preferable to risk that exposure than it is to miss out on the good ideas. Especially when you can provide proof (or compelling arguments) that the ideas you don't like are wrong.

Wait, I am not calling for a ban, I am just calling for people to see the double standard and to correct that double standard.

This is the guy we're talking about:

The true failure of this app is not including a mode where guys can beat him too.

Well, i think that all that needs to be said has been, but yeah, this is pretty appalling.

Getting a little tired of the double standards screamers who seem to be ignoring that yes, this is causing a lot of outcry and anger so they can try and score points in their little gender war.

WendelI:
As a gay man i am almost glad that if me and my partner get in a fist fight we are both going to be weight equally in a court of law as apposed to a straight couple where the lady has the advantage. but then again she didn't have the advantage in the fistfight. I don't know how to feel about this; it all honestly seems like a mean spirited joke. Hear it from someone who enjoyed super princess peach I know that sexist jokes can be funny and even fun in a video-game.

well, female on male domestic abuse is a very real thing, and a very real problem. The only people not taking seriously are other men who like to try and belittle the victims.

I'm pretty sure you can find an app for just about anything nowadays.
It seems to me that this was made by people thinking 'oh all the women will love an app that goes against the stereotypes/norm' so they made it and were told to GTFO because you know that if a game was made specifically to be different, it probably won't be a very good game.
Someone on the page linked quoted that apparently 70% of household abuse is started by the female. Not sure if this is true but that's very interesting...

Crono1973:
Wait, I am not calling for a ban, I am just calling for people to see the double standard and to correct that double standard.

Then why are you calling me out?

My entire point is that both sides are equally ridiculous and people need to stop getting so upset with depictions of either.

This game is stupid and it's getting more attention then it deserves for being stupid.
In my opinion, in a short sentence. Long opinon
It's pretty stupid, and it's getting way more attention then it deserves for being pretty stupid.
Though I do find it annoying Apple approved it, but if there's a game about smuggling Mexicans across the boarder, it's instantly racist/bad/terrorism.

Agayek:

Crono1973:

Then why are you calling me out?

My entire point is that both sides are equally ridiculous and people need to stop getting so upset with depictions of either.

...because I don't approve of promoting DV on either side while you think it's ok on both sides.

Crono1973:
...because I don't approve of promoting DV on either side while you think it's ok on both sides.

I never said it was ok though.

Matter of fact, I explicitly said it's not acceptable.

What I said is that fake depictions of the act are okay. No one is being hurt by it, it is merely the expression of an idea. Ideas have no more power than that which you give them. Don't give them any power by pretending it has merit, and you'll do far more for your cause than any amount of butthurt whining.

Agayek:

Crono1973:

I never said it was ok though.

Matter of fact, I explicitly said it's not acceptable.

What I said is that fake depictions of the act are okay. No one is being hurt by it, it is merely the expression of an idea. Ideas have no more power than that which you give them. Don't give them any power by pretending it has merit, and you'll do far more for your cause than any amount of butthurt whining.

Fake depictions of DV that are presented in a positive light = promoting DV (which is what I said)

When you see a man on TV beating a woman, it is almost always implied that it is a negative thing which is not a promotion of said violence, this game promotes violence against men by portraying the violence as a positive thing (using violence as tool to fix the man).

Seriously bro, you're not making any coherent arguments.

CountArioch:
Snip

Add some text to that ASAP or you're going to end up getting a low content warning.

I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for the heads-up.

Agayek:

The free exchange of ideas explicitly means you will be exposed to ideas you don't like.

The caveat is that we're just as free to be insulted by those ideas and express it. Freedom of Expression =/= Freedom from Criticism.

GunsmithKitten:
The caveat is that we're just as free to be insulted by those ideas and express it. Freedom of Expression =/= Freedom from Criticism.

Oh absolutely. All I'm trying to say is that one shouldn't be calling for bans on it or the like.

Beyond that, do whatever.

Though I must admit, I do find it rather silly to get offended by something like this instead of just rolling your eyes at someone being an idiot and moving on with your life.

Agayek:

GunsmithKitten:

Oh absolutely. All I'm trying to say is that one shouldn't be calling for bans on it or the like.

Beyond that, do whatever.

Though I must admit, I do find it rather silly to get offended by something like this instead of just rolling your eyes at someone being an idiot and moving on with your life.

Rolling your eyes and moving on changes nothing. DV against men should be taken seriously and people have ignored it for far too long.

Rex Dark:
What is this? A game about S&M?

no about the current state of feminism.

GunsmithKitten:

Agayek:

The free exchange of ideas explicitly means you will be exposed to ideas you don't like.

Any mob is incapable of such a nuanced concept as criticism. They do both terrible and wonderful things with hate though.

If it wasn't one sided, this might have worked...

It might be funny actually...

Windknight:
Well, i think that all that needs to be said has been, but yeah, this is pretty appalling.

Getting a little tired of the double standards screamers who seem to be ignoring that yes, this is causing a lot of outcry and anger so they can try and score points in their little gender war.

WendelI:
As a gay man i am almost glad that if me and my partner get in a fist fight we are both going to be weight equally in a court of law as apposed to a straight couple where the lady has the advantage. but then again she didn't have the advantage in the fistfight. I don't know how to feel about this; it all honestly seems like a mean spirited joke. Hear it from someone who enjoyed super princess peach I know that sexist jokes can be funny and even fun in a video-game.

well, female on male domestic abuse is a very real thing, and a very real problem. The only people not taking seriously are other men who like to try and belittle the victims.

A lot of women (not necessarily feminists) promote stereotypes like that as well. There's no need to point fingers at either gender for them, these standards emerged from our culture.

All I have to say is that it's tasteless and I'm surprised very little media coverage has been shown on it. I guess that says a sad thing about our society and there concern for men.

Darken12:
I am going to sidestep the sexism issue and condemn this purely because it depicts an abusive relationship in a positive light for no artistic reason. I am not saying it should be banned or that it shouldn't have been made, I'm merely saying I do not enjoy positive depictions of abuse.

By that argument, where do commonly accepted games like Call of Duty stand? You could argue they depict war and killing in a rather positive light with no real artistic reasons. The above reason is one of the reasons I can't argue against this game, as stupid and boring as it looks, we shouldn't censor it.

Very often when someone looks disapprovingly at the way a specific gender (usually their own) is being depicted, there may be somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to defend that gender, against the better judgement.

The fact of the matter is, this iOS game is indeed sexist, both towards men and women.

Yes, if it were gender flipped it would get more attention, because western society doesn't react as quickly to female on male domestic violence.

These are pretty objective facts.

NOW...

The WRONG way to discuss this, is to get into finger pointing.

One should not see this game and instantly react with "See? Feminism is about hating men! We suffer so much more!"

STOP RIGHT THERE!

Feminism - Noun

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

This is about EQUALITY, not whoever is suffering more.

The problem isn't who is suffering more, the problem is that people are suffering at all.

Slayer_2:
By that argument, where do commonly accepted games like Call of Duty stand? You could argue they depict war and killing in a rather positive light with no real artistic reasons. The above reason is one of the reasons I can't argue against this game, as stupid and boring as it looks, we shouldn't censor it.

What? I don't consume CoD-like games because I am anti-war, yes. However, I was never in favour of censorship or banning. I even say so in the post you quoted. Public condemnation does not equal censorship.

Darken12:

Slayer_2:

What? I don't consume CoD-like games because I am anti-war, yes. However, I was never in favour of censorship or banning. I even say so in the post you quoted. Public condemnation does not equal censorship.

So you don't play any games with violence in them? If violence warrants condemnation, your library of games must be rather small.

Slayer_2:

Darken12:

Slayer_2:

So you don't play any games with violence in them? If violence warrants condemnation, your library of games must be rather small.

I don't think all violence warrants condemnation, only violence depicted without narrative/artistic justification and glorified. I'm fine with violence within a narrative context or as a part of an artistic statement. Horror games, for example (save a few that have veered straight into the "violence is cool" territory) use violence as a way to enhance the horror experience. Violence is depicted as a very bad thing that you should avoid and only engage in when there's no other choice, using violence as a way to convey tension and terror. I do dislike RPGs that force me to beat the crap out of countless "enemies" for loot and gold, though that's a problem I have with the genre itself and not with any particular game (If the story dwarfs the grinding and the game doesn't idolise violence, I'll give it a try).

My problem with most CoD-like games is that they exist only to sell violence not only as a spectacle in and of itself, but also as feeling of empowerment through the interactivity of the medium. To be honest, that's what scares me the most, the idea that I'm supposed to feel powerful by pumping something full of bullets, and that the sight of it should be awesome.

But none of this means, for the record, that I would support any motion against violent games. Just because I personally dislike them doesn't mean I have a right to impose that on others.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked