"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

YOU CAN USE THE POK╔ FLUTE IN BATTLE AS WELL SO YOU NEVER NEED TO BUY ANOTHER AWAKENING!?

YOU CAN SHOOT HOMING BOMBS IN STAR FOX 64!?

YOU CAN MELD COMMANDS IN Birth By Sleep!?

Ryank1908:
THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!

When I first played Skyrim, I was following through the main story missions, and got to the part where I had to open a door using a Golden Dragon Claw. When I got to the door in the depth of a murky ruined cave, I found an obstacle; a door, with three circles around a lock, which you could rotate. The rings had different pictures on them and I guessed I had to work out what the proper combination was.

I must have spent at least an hour, first just fiddling around, second, scouring the murals on the walls near the door for some kind of hint to the combination, and finally, just fucking hammering those buttons in every single possible combination. When I finally got it, I went on the internet to see if there was some kind of logical explanation for it, and sure enough... the combination is on the back of the claw the whole time. I did not know you could look at items in your inventory in that 3D view and I really didn't know it would somehow be a vital skill to learn for a mandatory bloody story quest.

Took me an age for this as well. I didn't realise it rotated either! My girlfriend pointed out that it might rotate and eventually she rotated it and pointed it out. I felt quite dumb. To be honest I haven't done much passed that though since Skyrim ain't my thing.

Another one for me is from the Twisted Metal series (And every Twisted Metal tends to be this since they used to alternate really): YOU CAN HOP/JUMP?! Helped me clear a lot more roofs or just escape dramatically by boost hopping off of roofs to random locations (especially Paris in TM2 and TM:HO).

Medieval 2:

"YOU CAN RAID TRADE ROUTES?"
If you position your units on an enemy road or trade route, the income generated from that will go to you. Had to read that on some forum.

"YOU CAN CAPTURE WATCHTOWERS?"
You can, if you position your forces to the top-right of it(like Merchants trading goods). Found that out in my latest game.

"YOU CAN KILL AGENTS WITH YOUR ARMY?"
Normally, if you order your forces to move on a tile occupied by an Agent, that Agent simply steps out of the way. But if you surround him with your army so that there is no adjacent tile to go to, he simply dies.

HellbirdIV:
Only one I can think of off the top of my head, is my friend telling me you can hold down the mouse button to move in League of Legends instead of spastically clicking your way everywhere like the ol' Diablo 2 days.

"You can? Well now I feel like a fucking tard."

You can hold down the mouse in Diablo 2 as well. Even when attacking.

You can also automatically add potions to your belt by holding down the shift button and left-clicking.

There is also a key that locks the belt in the "open" position (you know, the one when you hover over it with your mouse?). It's "÷" on my Keyboard, "~" on american ones I believe.

The "buy" and "sell" buttons in the merchant screen are unnecessary. You can just click and drag-and-drop respectively.

Hargrimm:
Medieval 2:

"YOU CAN KILL AGENTS WITH YOUR ARMY?"
Normally, if you order your forces to move on a tile occupied by an Agent, that Agent simply steps out of the way. But if you surround him with your army so that there is no adjacent tile to go to, he simply dies.

Over 500 hours in medieval 2 and i didn't know this :( You are my hero :D

King of Asgaard:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.

Wait, what? You can do that? I had no idea. Why is this never explained?

AC: Brotherhood last night:
"YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON TO AIM THE CROSSBOW? JUST LIKE THE PISTOL?!?!?!?!?!?"

derp

In Crash Bandicoot 2, the third "run away from the boulder, towards the camera" level (which actually had a giant bear, not a boulder), features very high fences. I probably spent hours, wasting all of my lives, trying to jump over the fences (it was just about possible, though ridiculously hard), before realising that YOU COULD FUCKING BREAK THEM BY SPINNING OR SLIDING!

To be fair, I was probably about 6 years old at the time.

Jade Empire:
FOCUS IS SOMETHING OTHER THAN A DODGE TRAPS METER?

Seriously. My first play-through of Jade Empire, I somehow went the entire game without even accidentally pressing the Y button to slow time.
I almost lost the final bossfight because I had no idea how to cancel HIS focus, not knowing it was a thing.
I also got through the entire game without using the OP As Hell Storm Dragon Style.
I had no idea what I was missing.

Hargrimm:
The "buy" and "sell" buttons in the merchant screen are unnecessary. You can just click and drag-and-drop respectively.

In Diablo II, I believe you can ctrl + click to auto-buy/auto-sell. Not even dragging and dropping.

Klagermeister:
YOU CAN GO FASTER THAN THE YETI?

I think that's the most mind blowing to guys who played Ski Free when they were kids.
Death by yeti is not inevitable. You can hold F to outrun him.

...did you just reference xkcd?

Anyways, Mine was realizing that I could use iron sights in Ghost Recon: Future soldier. Probably had a tutorial somewhere, but I just didnt pay attention. Made the sniper rifles so much better to use.

Klagermeister:
YOU CAN GO FASTER THAN THE YETI?

I think that's the most mind blowing to guys who played Ski Free when they were kids.
Death by yeti is not inevitable. You can hold F to outrun him.

Mind blown.

My moment was in Fallout; learning that you could keep the girl from the first village in yor party if you just don't go back to town.

[quote="Ryank1908" post="9.402812.16631947"]THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!/quote]

Yep. This. I didn't know until after I had completed the main questline. I complained about it on here and someone quoted me and told me the combination is on the claw. To be fair, the guy that has the golden claw also has a journal that says the answer is "in the palm of my hand" or something, so there is a clue, just not obvious to me.

Can't believe noone mentioned psycho mantis in MGS 1 yet, that shit was like a mystery in my country for a whole year and i even remember one try when i got him to 1 mm of hp without the controller port 2 exploit and raged when i couldn't finish him. Then one day my friend casually says to me just put the controller in port 2 and im like WHAT THAT WON'T WORK YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY LYING. Next day boom MGS my favourite franchise ever.

And i'm still baffled how you guys miss obvious stuff like the mako having a cannon or that it can jump, i just bought a new PC after 7 years and i'm finally playin all the games i missed all this years(btw mass effect is awesome, like kotor awesome just better) and i figured it out in 2 seconds. Don't you guys press all the buttons to see what they do? Like the obligatory ctrl,shift,space,right click, C, R , Q, E

One more from MGS, you can use Smokes to see the laser thingies before the raven fight and crawl under them?????????????????????? Took me 2 weeks to pass this point

Half Life 2: YOU CAN DIRECT THE ROCKETS?!?!?

Spent a good 20 minutes on each of the first two helicopters, trying to dumb rocket them to death.

kailus13:

PolarBearClub:
Metal Gear Solid for the PS1:

THE CODEC FREQUENCY IS ON THE BACK OF THE BOX.

What box? This cardboard one? I thought they were just for hiding in? Oh, it would appear it is as there's nothing written on the outside, even when zooming in. Oh well, time to try every single frequency until I find the right one.

Weeks later, casually looking at the box...

WHAT THE FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...!

I'd actually read about the frequency/box thing in a magazine before I played it, so when I platyed the actual game... I'd completely forgotten and just went through all the frequencies. (-_-* )

I seem to remember that I literally went through and tried every frequency until I got to Meryl.

It seems I had the time.

StraightToHeck:
AC: Brotherhood last night:
"YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON TO AIM THE CROSSBOW? JUST LIKE THE PISTOL?!?!?!?!?!?"

derp

I play with the HUD off; and I never once figured out how to do an arrow storm.

Unrelated, but it's a bone of contention.

Ah, oh yeah there is one that instantly popped into my head!

I was playing Final Fantasy 12, not a good game btw, and I got to the last boss. However my disk was scratched, so I could not even try it, so to youtube I went to just see the end of the damn thing.
So I looked up the fight and... YOU CAN CHAIN ATTACK!?

Some weapons chained more then others. I just went with the ones that had the highest power, which was maces that almost never chained. It worked, but it bugged me the whole game that the other weapons had so little power, I didn't want to use mace/shield.
I don't think the game ever explained this, though I may have missed it. It was bad overall at explaining things, and I still don't know what the plot was.

Oh while Im here, I want to add another from way back when while a friend played pokemon red on gameboy.
YOU CAN CATCH POKEMON!?
He could not get past the guy with the lvl 20 butterfly, as he only had his starter. He did not get pokeballs as he thought those were just balls for his pokemon to play with. Poor english skills back then -.-

SkarKrow:

I have possibly the supreme on here.

I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >

I...wow... You just did a lot of the "no sphere grid" challenge without even knowing it O.O That is quite the feat, respect man. If you did this without rikku, that's kinda insane when you didn't know what you were doing. I have clocked over 400+ hours in that game, and never once bothered to even try that.

In Mass Effect 2 I didn't realize I could still heal myself with medi-gel. I thought that the feature had been removed completely and it was just used as a glorified phoenix down for your squad.

I felt like such an idiot because you actually have to buy the upgrade that allows you to do it. And I never actually bothered reading it.

xaszatm:

Zhukov:
YOU CAN PUSH THE LITTLE HOOD BIT UP OFF THE CLI

*ahem*

Uh...is it weird that this is the only thing I don't get?

One day, Alex, you'll get it and your girlfriend will be forever grateful to the hint given here ;)

KefkaCultist:

SkarKrow:

I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >

... Fuck that ...
Did you just grind your ass off for stats or what? Because Guadosalam is actually a decent ways into the game with some pretty tough bosses prior that pissed me off even with a developed sphere grid. lol

Even grinding wouldn't have made any difference, because you need to use the sphere grid to actually apply any stats. Your stats are at a stand-still until you touch the sphere grid.

Actually I'm not entirely sure I believe that one. I don't care how good you are, that would mean he had no spells, no stats, weapons, nothing. There are bosses before that point that do damage across your whole party, he would've gotten to a certain point and just been instagibbed.

Ulquiorra4sama:

Another:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!

WHAT?! Against every boss i had to keep parrying like hell (a real bitch against Monsoon), and i kept thinking "Oh man, i wish this game had a fucking dodge move". I feel pretty stupid now :/

To be fair, the dodge move, while handy really isn't that great, it's too slow and is only really useful in very specific seconds. The parry is everything, once you /master/ it, you can just steamroll everything. In fact, dodge would be useless against monsoons flurries, because you can't dodge very quickly or enough to avoid the 7 or so attacks.

My cousin's girlfriend had 200 hours playing Skyrim and building houses. At some point we got bored of watching her and I asked if they wanted to try Bioshock 2, a game they had never played before. As a gentleman, I let the lady play first but she gave the controller after 2 minutes, saying "the controls are too complicated!"

Euh... excuse me but they are the exact same as Skyrim.

GundamSentinel:
The most recent one was in Guild Wars 2:

THERE IS AN OPTION TO DROP CRAFTING MATERIALS INTO YOUR BANK FROM YOUR INVENTORY?

And any inventory management problems disappeared instantly...

Seriously, I only found this out dickering around with the inventory options. Also, merging bags and using the bank from crafting stations. I love the game, but it needs better tutorials.

The first time I saw the SRTT deckers.die mission trailer, I thought "Ooh cool, I get to fight a dragon in tron world. Better play tron 2.0 to prepare".

What I was not expecting and was awesomely surprised by was when I myself became a giant purple tron dragon. That was just plain awesome mixed with ice cream.

Adept Mechanicus:

Freelancer: I CAN KILL MY ENGINES AND JOUST IN CRUISE SPEED?!

Lol, for me it was "HOLY SH**! I CAN TARGET ENEMY EQUIPMENT!!!" in Freelancer xD

Ah god... New Vegas.... after about an hour of wandering around Goodsprings wondering what the FUCK this "VATS" thing the game wanted me to try was, I FINALLY used it accidentally to target a Gecko. Not my finest moment...

YOU CAN MANUALLY DECIDE YOUR ARMY'S STARTING POSITIONS?!

I was doing a campaign in Medieval II: Total War, when I found out you could manually position your units before the battle started; it took me 70+ hours of playing before I figured that out.

Needless to say, I no longer have to worry about my archers being slaughtered by enemy cavalry since I can just slap a few units of spearmen in front of them.

EDIT: I also remember that I found the "group selected units" button in the same battle; there's nothing quite like being able to withdraw your general and his cavalry with minimum hassle.

My moment was in Resident Evil 5, and is a bit more mundane compared to some of the others:

"There is a 'Sell all treasures' button?!?"

I didn't realise that you could press 'C' to bring up the character screen in World of Warcraft until many hours in. Before that, I put equipment on my hotbar and clicked it to equip it.

Rattja:
Ah, oh yeah there is one that instantly popped into my head!

I was playing Final Fantasy 12, not a good game btw, and I got to the last boss. However my disk was scratched, so I could not even try it, so to youtube I went to just see the end of the damn thing.
So I looked up the fight and... YOU CAN CHAIN ATTACK!?

Some weapons chained more then others. I just went with the ones that had the highest power, which was maces that almost never chained. It worked, but it bugged me the whole game that the other weapons had so little power, I didn't want to use mace/shield.
I don't think the game ever explained this, though I may have missed it. It was bad overall at explaining things, and I still don't know what the plot was.

Oh while Im here, I want to add another from way back when while a friend played pokemon red on gameboy.
YOU CAN CATCH POKEMON!?
He could not get past the guy with the lvl 20 butterfly, as he only had his starter. He did not get pokeballs as he thought those were just balls for his pokemon to play with. Poor english skills back then -.-

What did he think the mandatory, unskippable, Pokemon catching tutorial was about then?

Xenosaga. Took me 2 half play throughs with restarting mid way before i fully understood how to level my characters properly. If that counts...third time was a charm. Worth it though. That series was good times.

I didn't know you could sprint in Resident Evil 4 until one of the swinging blade puzzles about 60% into the game.

However I still liked the slow pace and chunkiness of just having to walk.

I recently switched my Brawl main to Snake after my friend told me Mario was G Tier T_T
So I'm playing Snake against his Dedede, blow him up with a NIKITA.

"YOU CAN STEER THE MISSILE!?"
Me: "Yeah man.. You like stop moving and everything. Dude, really? You didn't know?"

Marcus Kehoe:
80% way tgrough demon souls

YOU CAN COLLECT THE SOULS FROM YOUR DEATH LOCATION?

Hahaha, oh wow. You really manmoded that shit, didn't you?

Snownine:

What did he think the mandatory, unskippable, Pokemon catching tutorial was about then?

How should I know? Maybe he thought he was just showing him how he got his pokemon in the first place *shrug* We were 8 and no one knew what pokemon was at that time. With next to no english skills it was basically just learn by doing in a random game he got from his aunt. =p

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked