The Mass Effect 3 Breakdown (spoilers)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Raikas:
It always kills me that Engineer and Adept are the least popular classes - those are my favourites!

My guess is that while the two classes were borderline broken in the first game, they both got the fuck beat out of them with the nerf bat (heh), had said fuck put back into them, then got it beaten out of them again in the later installments. Powers/Abilities like Sabotage and Singularity haven't been anywhere near as good as they were in the first game, while other powers/abilities like Lift and that one tech power that lets you completely shut down your opponent's offense (Deactivate? Debilitate? I just remember it started with a "D") are completely non-existent. Seeing changes that heavy to some of the classes probably warranted some people thinking it wasn't worth it. Again, that's just my guess.

It also didn't help that ME2 onwards greatly favored the more "gunplay-heavy" classes due to the changes in the combat engine. But again, that's just conjecture.

Akratus:
That's not the breakdown of Mass Effect 3. This is, man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiN8gL40d84

...The guy in the vid sounds like Graham Stark...

Also, while I didn't hate Vega, HE WAS MORE POPULAR THAN TALI?!?!

3.8% of the ME people are heartless monsters that deserve to burn in hell for all eternity. How could you shoot the guy!? I know that his voice changed, but still! It's Mordin mawfuckin' Solus! Those bastards!

And I pity those who did not get to chill with Wrex. They're missing out big time.

As for my stats:

- Cured the Genophage
- Met Wrex
- Have not completed on Insanity
- Have earned "Long Service" Medal
- Have achieved 100% Readiness
- Male Shepard twice, Female Shepard once
- Saved both
- Most popular squad mates were Garrus and Tali
- I beat Garrus in my renegade run as ManShep, I let him win as Saint Femshep and beat him again in my true run.
- Of course I didn't shoot Mordin. I wouldn't be able to live of the guilt if I did.
- Infiltrator in my true run, Vanguard as Renegade Shep and Engineer as Saint Femshep.

hazabaza1:
How the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck did nearly half these people play as soldier? It's so dull!

Many may have just started as default Shep, so they just got Soldier.

hazabaza1:
How the ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck did nearly half these people play as soldier? It's so dull!

Each to their own I guess.

I always felt that the other classes took their sweet time in fights. The soldier doesn't fap about and just kills.

Also who doesn't like a slow-mo bullet monster

excalipoor:
Holy crap, only 4% completed the game on Insanity? That makes me feel all kinds of special.

Played as a male paragon infiltrator, and saved pretty much everyone ever. Except Ashley. She died on Virmire. That aside, I'm a veritable space Jesus.

My female shep, engineer insanity run is apparently a pretty rare thing looking at the statistics. Also looking at the statistic I think most players are like "ya what ever next next next"

Huh. Neat. Kinda surprised the Engineer class is so lowly used - though considering how under-powered it was in ME1, I doubt many people would have kept the same class over the course of the game (hell, I only played Engineer in ME2 after swapping from a Soldier).
My own statistics go something like:

Time Played - Too many hours (300+)

Genophage - Cured!

Wrex Status - Alive! Most of the time! I did kill him in ME1 once just to meet Wreav, and immediately regretted the decision.

Most Used Squadmates - Vega, Garrus, EDE and Javik. EDE and Javik for their powers while Garrus and Vega would be for sheer brute-force weapon damage.

Squadmate Survival - Vega and Garrus? Lived about 99% of the time. Javik and EDE? Somehow didn't know how cover worked, so they died quite a bit.

Insanity - Not as of yet - Finished ME2 on Insanity recently, but haven't picked ME3 up in awhile, so Insanity progress for it is currently stalled.

Galactic Readiness - A couple of times

Long Service Medal - Well... yeah. Playing through 12ish times will do that pretty easily.

Shepards - 1 of each class and gender, with an extra Soldier for my first playthrough.

Mordin - I shot the wordy bastard every chance I got No, I let him do his thing, even on my renegade runs.

Quarian/Geth war - Saved 'em both!

Paragon/Renegade - 10 Paragons to 3 Renegades. Renegade just felt so... silly at certain points, while Paragon felt more 'Hey, I've actually got a functioning brain'.

Adam Jensen:
This just proves that the target audience for ME3 weren't ME fans and RPG fans, but rather CoD fans. Why else would SO MANY players not meet Wrex and play with soldier class? There's nothing wrong with soldier class, don't get me wrong. But look at the statistics. If it didn't include casual shooter crowd you can bet the statistical difference between soldier and other classes wouldn't be that great.

As one of those atrocious, idiotic mouth-breathers who genuinely enjoys CoD and rates it as one of his most favorite games... no. Just... no. Saying that 'More people played the soldier class, therefore CoD appeal!' is like looking at the 4% Insanity statistic and going 'Look! Nobody finished the game on Insanity! Filthy modern gamers don't want challenging or hard games anymore!'.

I started playing ME1 as a Soldier not because 'Lol CoD', but because the Soldier was the default class and was focused more on weapons and tanking damage then using abilities strategically - so a great class to jump into a game I've never played before and therefore know nothing about it. Pretty much everyone I know who started playing Mass Effect 1/2/3 also started off with Soldier - because again, it's both the default class and a really good class to use when you're still learning the game.

So these figures don't provide evidence for the 'They were appealing to the CoD fanboys the entire time!' argument, instead showing that people either A) picked the default class, B) were recommended to pick it by their friends as it's an easy class to learn or C) genuinely enjoyed playing Soldier and kept the class via transferring. Coupled with people not playing through a second time after finishing the game with the soldier, the Soldier number is going to be way higher than everything else.

I call shenanigans on the whole thing. Especially the popularity list. Notice the "unpopular" characters you can't pick up till the second half of the game. You're forced to use Liara on 3 missions and the "most popular" characters are all you have for the first part of the game, so they have the entire game to be picked up.

This is like the whole, Miranda's loyalty missions was always done first and everyone speculated that the fans wanted to stare at her butt more. When really, Miranda is the first character to give you a loyalty mission besides Jacob who doesn't put any urgency on doing his any time soon like she does. Also, her mission is conveniently on Illium with the next two characters you pick up are. I don't doubt guys wanting to look at her butt more, but the linear design of the game, as well as in ME3, seems to dictate who's popular more than who really is popular.

I'm not a huge Tali fan, but I'm pretty certain in reality she leaves Liara in the dust.

Shocksplicer:
27% of people saved the Quarians? That should probably read "27% of people weren't paying attention when it turned out that the Quarians were the bad guys in that conflict.".

Eh... The Quarians (most of them anyway), kind of deserved to get kicked off their home world in the first place. However, when you look at what's happened to them since, you wonder if maybe the Geth didn't do them such a kindness by sparing their lives.

Also, the Geth are far from guiltless. I don't care what the Quarians blew up, allying with the Reapers for self-preservation is a fucking daft move whatever way you try to slice it, especially when it involves using Reaper tech to imprison the only platform (Legion) with any kind of chance of opening a dialogue with the Quarians. Even Legion himself, the one who's supposed to be on your side, and no matter how many time you tell him you're on his, just will not stop lying to you! Hell, he's even forced to admit at one point that the Geth have really fucking screwed up.

Shepard: "How did we get here Legion? The Geth are better than this!"

Legion: "... No. Based on empirical evidence, we are not."

Professor Lupin Madblood:
The best way I've heard it put is that while Mark Meer can be pretty brick-like in his recitations, he improves throughout the series. Compare some of his ME1 lines with some ME3 lines and you'll see the difference. Jennifer Hale, on the other hand, stays at about the same level of quality throughout the series. She's better in ME1, about the same overall in ME2, and worse in ME3.

IMO Mark Meer actually got worse, then better. I found him OK to listen to in ME1, but in ME2 he had a heap of lines where his delivery just made me cringe. I thought he picked his game back up again and did a pretty good job on ME3 though.

undeadsuitor:

Adam Jensen:
This just proves that the target audience for ME3 weren't ME fans and RPG fans, but rather CoD fans. Why else would SO MANY players not meet Wrex and play with soldier class? There's nothing wrong with soldier class, don't get me wrong. But look at the statistics. If it didn't include casual shooter crowd you can bet the statistical difference between soldier and other classes wouldn't be that great.

How does the fact that people played the soldier class make the target audience CoD players? And..just for ME3? They didn't change anything for the classes in ME3 from the other games so Im not sure why it suddenly made the third game targeted at CoD players. If Bioware was targeting CoD players soldier would be the ONLY class. In fact, Bioware went out of their way to make all the other classes better in the sequels.

Whether or not the percentage of people who played as Soldier confirms it, and regardless of the fact that there was content in there for core RPG fans, it's undeniable that Bioware and EA were targeting the broader shooter market more and more as the series developed through ME2 to ME3.

It's not just CoD players that they were targeting - Battlefield players would actually have been the closer target, along with Gears of War fans. And they'd have been stupid NOT to target that market, since we core RPG fans were always going to buy the game regardless...

HeWhoFightsBosses:
Also, while I didn't hate Vega, HE WAS MORE POPULAR THAN TALI?!?!

Again, it all depends what they're basing that on. But if it's on time spent in the party on missions then you can see why Tali ranks pretty low since she's not very useful in combat during ME3. She's possibly my favourite character in the series but I almost never took her on missions in ME3 (as opposed to ME1, where I took her all the time because her techspamming was godly).

SageRuffin:
It also didn't help that ME2 onwards greatly favored the more "gunplay-heavy" classes due to the changes in the combat engine. But again, that's just conjecture.

I actually think the reverse is true - from ME2 onwards, the changes to the combat engine made it legitimately possible to complete the game without having to use guns at all. That certainly wasn't the case in ME1, where the offensive powers weren't anywhere near as good AND ammo was unlimited.

It's cute how they still want Mass Effect to be relevant, and you thought the fans were beating a dead horse.

Did they do this for the first two games?

I think a lot of people metagame'd ME3 in choosing Ashley as not having her and not sucking up to her glitches the engineering room's dialogues, no Kenneth/Gabby and no Tali/Garrus interactions.

That aside; I play maleshep and paragon in all my playthroughs. I am a dude so I almost always pick a male character if given the choice, and I find it hard to play renegade (or evil in other games, like the fallout games) as I tend to have the character choose the options I myself would have chosen if in that situation. As I am a decent person, and a dude, that is just how the chips fell.

hazabaza1:

Did you play it on PC? Because while using skills and stuff almost come as second nature to people who play RPGs on PC (using the number keys) but to use a variety of skills on a gamepad is harder. Yeah you can pause to freely select skills, but it's not as fun when you have to pause every couple seconds in the middle of combat to shoot off a stasis or singularity, especially when it plays like a third person shooter instead of, say, a JRPG.

Well, when people ask why arent there more games that give female protagonists?

The numbers rather speak for themselves here... When given the choice, more people seem to want to play male characters than female.

None of these are all that surprising. People are harping on James' popularity, but to me it makes sense. He's not a bad character, he's useful in combat and he's with you the longest. The Wrex thing makes sense as well. He'll only show up if you played ME1 or used the Genesis comic and his survival in both of those are optional as well.

Given the amount of people who play ManShep, it makes sense that Kaidan's popularity is so low. That doesn't make it a good thing - dude's infinitely superior to Ashley.

Vega is more popular than Tali? Give me a break.

10.7 billion, holy hell. That's like... more than one per person on earth.

OlasDAlmighty:
Vega is more popular than Tali? Give me a break.

10.7 billion, holy hell. That's like... more than one per person on earth.

I think it more has to do with he is one of the few squad members you get for the first half of the game.

Gatx:

hazabaza1:

Did you play it on PC? Because while using skills and stuff almost come as second nature to people who play RPGs on PC (using the number keys) but to use a variety of skills on a gamepad is harder. Yeah you can pause to freely select skills, but it's not as fun when you have to pause every couple seconds in the middle of combat to shoot off a stasis or singularity, especially when it plays like a third person shooter instead of, say, a JRPG.

First two on console, then played the trilogy on PC. Still only ever played as Soldier for like, a couple of hours on 360 to see how they played. I mained as a Vanguard and occasionally played Adept or Infiltrator.

*Siiigh* I was one of the ones who didn't get Wrex. I started Mass Effect 1 and couldn't finish it, then jumped to Mass Effect 2 and loved every second, but I somehow got stuck with Wrex and Kaiden dead. Dangit.

Gizmo1990:
How did the people playing manshep stand it? His voice acting is soooooo bad next to femshep.

I can't stand femshep. She sounds pissed all the time.

Shanicus:
As one of those atrocious, idiotic mouth-breathers who genuinely enjoys CoD and rates it as one of his most favorite games... no. Just... no. Saying that 'More people played the soldier class, therefore CoD appeal!' is like looking at the 4% Insanity statistic and going 'Look! Nobody finished the game on Insanity! Filthy modern gamers don't want challenging or hard games anymore!'.

I started playing ME1 as a Soldier not because 'Lol CoD', but because the Soldier was the default class and was focused more on weapons and tanking damage then using abilities strategically - so a great class to jump into a game I've never played before and therefore know nothing about it. Pretty much everyone I know who started playing Mass Effect 1/2/3 also started off with Soldier - because again, it's both the default class and a really good class to use when you're still learning the game.

So these figures don't provide evidence for the 'They were appealing to the CoD fanboys the entire time!' argument, instead showing that people either A) picked the default class, B) were recommended to pick it by their friends as it's an easy class to learn or C) genuinely enjoyed playing Soldier and kept the class via transferring. Coupled with people not playing through a second time after finishing the game with the soldier, the Soldier number is going to be way higher than everything else.

Look man. Read my post one more time. I just said that if the stats didn't include casual shooter crowd, the difference wouldn't be as great as it is. Maybe the soldier class would still be the most played class, but not by such a large margin. I played with a soldier class once as well to see what it's like. But it's not a secret that EA tried to appeal to the wider audience. And the widest fuckin' audience are shooter fans. Bioware even said that they want Call of Duty audience. Deal with it: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/919569/bioware_we_want_call_of_dutys_audience.html

Adam Jensen:

My bullshit alarm just went off so hard that it broke.

The Wrex statistic is because having him dead is the default. The only way to meet him is with an import from the first game, taken through the second and into the third or by starting at the second game and using that Genesis comic save generator thing to save him.

That 64% is made up of:
- People who started at the third game.
- People who started at the second game.
- People who lost their save games (switched platforms, bricked consoles, deleted saves etc etc)
- People who chose not to import for whatever reason.
- People who didn't get the opportunity to save him (didn't do his little quest, didn't have enough charm/intimidate)
- People who just plain chose to kill him.

Given all that, I'm actually surprised that over a third of players got to meet him.

As for the class stats, it was similar in the first two games. You can search the for the stats yourself. (The actual stats from the game mind you, forum polls are not reliable.) If nothing else, soldier is the default class.

Of these stats, the ones that apply to me are:

~Met Wrex
~Cured Genophage
~Have played as Infiltrator and Sentinel in single player (am yet to do soldier class)
~Have played through as Femshep with two profiles (haven't done MShep yet, been putting it off so i don't have to put up with the voice acting)
~Have played through as Paragon on both FShep plays (gonna redo one as Renegade)
~Never shot Mordin
~My favourite team is EDI and Ashley
~Have got both 100% galactic readiness and long service medal
~Saved both Quarians and Geth in all playthroughs
~Let Garrus win once on the Citadel shootout
~I've sunk 102 hours into the multiplayer according to my stats on the bioware social network

I don't like either Kaidan or Vega, they irk me for some reason, so Ashley always lives and i never use Vega outside the missions where i have no choice.

I have not yet completed Insanity, though it's coming up soon

chimpzy:
snip

right in one

GiantRaven:
At what point can Liara/Vega die? I don't remember any situation like that.

It happens in the EMS score is too low in the final Harbinger push and they are in your squad

Desert Punk:
Well, when people ask why arent there more games that give female protagonists?

The numbers rather speak for themselves here... When given the choice, more people seem to want to play male characters than female.

Well, considering that until ME3, femshep wasn't in a single piece of advertisement (and even then, she only had maybe 1 or 2 commercials featuring her)

And, until ME3 she had a really basic face model, as opposed to mansheps really sculpted and detailed vanderloo face

But yeah, there's a grain of truth in the whole "players prefer playing male characters" but it doesnt mean they shouldn't try. (not that you're saying that though)

I didn't let Garrus win the shootout. Sometimes you just need to put people in their place. Plus on one of my profiles i screwed up Tali's romance and ME3 they were making out and to put it lightly i was like: AUH HEEEELLL NAUH! Ive been passive aggressive with him on all my characters ever since. i kinda feel sorry for Kaidan, nobody seems to like him. i mean i don't but still..........also, does this have anything on the romance options picked? I've always wanted to see that break-down.

ReadyAmyFire:
64% of people never meeting Wrex is surprising. A lot of people must have just jumped into the series late.

Nah, it's been a pretty long time between the releases. I played the first one on X360, the second one on PS3 and the third one on PC, so there were no saves transferred between them and I didn't really bother to find saves online. Then I discovered that without previous saves there's no Kasumi, you can't bring peace between the Geth and the Quarians and other really important things. Damn.

- Cured the Genophage
- Met Wrex
- Have not completed on Insanity yet
- Have earned "Long Service" Medal
- Have achieved 100% Readiness
- Male Shepard twice, Female Shepard twice
- Saved both geth and quarians
- Most popular squad mates were Garrus, Liara, and Tali
- Let Garrus win half the time, fairs fair
- Never shot Mordin.
- Two inflitrators, engineer and an adept/ vanguard .
- Generally play as a pragmatic paragon (if I'm going to be shooting them anyway might as well do it in an interrupt)

Just out of curiousity did anyone side with the salerian Dalatras?

Ok let's see...

Number of hours played- 700+ total across all three games
Genophage- Cured
Wrex- Met
Survival- ...? WHAT DOES IT EVEN MEEN!?!?!?!?
Galactic readiness- 100%+ (N7 alone at this point is 100%)
Insanity- Complete
Long service medal- Acquired
Shepard- Male
Most popular squad mates- Tali and Garrus
Garrus shootout- Shepard won
Saved- Quarians and Geth
Mordin- Did not shoot
Class- Soldier
Enemies killed in ME3 multiplayer- A lot
Paragon or Renegade- Mix, paragon with renegade when it feels right

I originally killed Kaidan but I ended up killing Ashley in ME1 because she ninja romanced me. I was saving my Shep for the awesome that is Tali

No squad deaths unless scripted.

Wow, only 3.8% of people shot Mordin? Now I feel like a jerk. Also, Kaiden seemed surprisingly unloved.

Hugh Wright:
)

Just out of curiousity did anyone side with the salerian Dalatras?

I did! Just once.

That must include the 3.8% that shot Mordin, plus however many shot Padok Wiks, and whatever percentage kept Modrin/Padok alive with Wrex and Bakara dead.

Beat the game on Insanity, and played as an engineer. That must make me a very small percent of players. That so few people beat the game on Insanity is odd, cause once you max your level and fully upgraded powers and gear you pretty much can mop up in the game pretty easily (Aside from a few points in the latter part in the game which were ridiculous).

I liked the resolution of getting both Geth and Quarians on my team, in part because it reminded me of the resolution of the Dalish-Werewolf feud I brokered. That closing of the arc also felt like putting in the work through earlier installments would help me get everything in the finale.

Reached the 100% Galactic Readiness for the battle, even reached an EMS of over 6K for the sake of overkill.

Oh, and in the Genesis comic, I decided to save Kaiden partly because all the guys were saving her because they were boning her. I also didn't like that she was a bigot, so I didn't want to drag around Archie Bunker cause she had hooters.

This data seems to imply that most people who bought the game were new to the franchise, or at the very least didn't import a save.

Happiness Assassin:
This data seems to imply that most people who bought the game were new to the franchise, or at the very least didn't import a save.

Or imported an ME2-only save.

Okay, interesting stuff to compare myself against.

I played ME3 single-player 4 times all the way through. In those, I had imported a game from ME2 for all of them, but I'm playing on PS3 so I haven't gone through all 3 games with one save.

In my first playthrough,
I was a default male Shepard.
I saved Wrex.
I cured the genophage.
I did not shoot Mordin.
I saved the quarians at the cost of the geth.
I won the shootout with Garrus on the Citadel. I was playing a soldier and figured we were equal weapons experts. Plus, I wouldn't insult Garrus' intelligence by throwing a competition with him. He's my best buddy, I won't lie to him.
I don't think anyone died during the game, but just because I didn't notice anyone's corpse before the beam doesn't mean there weren't any there. Also, I never recruited Ashley, because after I romanced her in ME1 and then left her for Tali in ME2, I thought it would be awkward with her around :/
My most-used squadmates were Tali and Garrus, with Liara and Vega close behind I think.
I was actually about the same level of paragon/renegade as the graphic, about two parts paragon to one part renegade.

Over all 4 playthroughs,
I played male Shepard and Femshep both twice. I was a soldier first, then an adept, then an infiltrator, then a vanguard.
I saved Wrex 3 out of 4 times. A game without Wrex is a lesser game indeed.
I cured the genophage 3 times.
I still did NOT shoot Mordin. Shame on you who did.
I killed the geth twice, the quarians once, and once managed to save them both.
I chose twice to beat Garrus on the Citadel, when I was a soldier and when I was an infiltrator. When I romanced him, I let him win, but in the 4th game I didn't do that part at all, because Garrus was already dead. In fact, most of my squad was dead in that game; I think only Jacob and Thane survived the suicide mission. I wanted to see how the game would compensate for all those deaths.
Again, I'm never sure who actually survives the charge to the beam on earth. I remember seeing Garrus dead once, and Javik in a different game. I can't really say more.
Overall, my favorite squadmates are the same as above. Plus Javik, I guess, but somehow I don't use him a lot.
I've been overall paragon 3 times, and once a renegade.

I have beaten the game on Insanity, I have the Long Service Medal; in fact, I have the platinum trophy for the game, so I've done just about everything. I've played hundreds of hours in the multiplayer; no idea how much exactly, but a LOT.

So, yeah. That was fun, going back over the games I played.

Eh...

I beat ME 2 on insanity and decided its not worth the stress of doing it again.

Anyways, I just finished a complete run through of the trilogy on ps3 maybe 2 hours ago. (My second time through ME2/3 first time through ME1)

I was a manshep
Paragon
Kept Wrex.. cuz he's my bro
Did all loyalty and smartly placed everyone in ME2 so had 100% survival
Spared Mordin (Though I shot him the first time through)
Played as Engineer in ME1 and as adept in 2/3.
Killed Kaidan on Virmire both times (as manshep and femshep)
Killed Quarians (both times.. cuz fuck the Quarians)
I did do enough multiplayer to get 100% readiness at one point
And as someone else said: if you didn't get long service on your first playthrough; you're doing it wrong

Hmmm, I was curious to see what the percentages were for the different campaign game modes.
One was all cut scenes, one was all combat and the other was the default game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here