Injustice 2 really triggers my feminism. There, I said it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

*Checks thread title.*

*Reads first page.*

*Skims through the next two.*

*Gives up.*

You are welcome not to buy it! Isn't freedom a fantastic thing?

Emanuele Ciriachi:

I think in this case people want to use their freedom to complain, argue and what not instead of simply ignoring it.

EternallyBored:

Unless you were just making a flippant joke, then feel free to ignore me as I accidentally fuck up your punchline.

Phasmal:

I know that this is probably a joke but

My erections are the stuff of legends. This shit is nothing to joke about.

Nature Guardian:

I'm asking this again - why does diversity, ACTUAL diversity, bother you?

I think what you've failed to understand after 7 pages of feedback is that no one has a problem with diversity. No one goes around trying to find games with a diverse cast so we can complain about it. But we are skeptical of the 100th feminist complaining about a game with the perceived lack of it and throwing around damning words like sexism.

We have a roster of pre-established characters depicted in movies, tv shows and games. They have a dedicated following and their inclusion makes sense. You want to stick in someone obscure as opposed to Batgirl, Spoiler, Big Barda, or Raven. This is a complete waste of everyone's time and sounds like diversity for the sake of being diverse while not caring about actual quality.

And here I thought Injustice actually toned down the sexual nature of the cast, as far as their outfits go anyway. Poison Ivy is dressed more modestly here than I've seen her since The Batman and Cheetah is actually wearing clothes. Black Canary's fishnet stockings have been turned down quite a bit. Wonder Woman looks like Wonder Woman. The Cat looks like she's wearing more, but still isn't getting her money's worth on that zipper. Supergirl looks fine. All in all, I'd say this game has the characters dressed pretty modestly.

I'm gonna need someone to point out the excessive butt shots and what not. After watching a few of the videos (Supergirls, Wonder Womans, Cheetah's, Catwoman's, and Black Canary's) I can't seem to find any.

Anyway, here are some recent depictions of Injustice's female cast.

I'm disappointed to discover this thread is turning nowhere.

It looks like we have people who understood my point, and people who didn't (or who don't want to).

I'm trying to give a twist to this thread by asking: IF THIS GAME HAD THIS SAME EXACT FEMALE CAST, -BUT- ALSO HAD ORCA AND AND A NONSEXUALIZED BATGIRL NOT WEARING BOOBPLATE..... would you be ok with it?

Because that way, everybody wins.

Now I'm waiting for the people who would -not- buy the game unless every single chick is bangable by common standards.

nomotog:

Emanuele Ciriachi:

I think in this case people want to use their freedom to complain, argue and what not instead of simply ignoring it.

Nah, they want to use their freedom to control what other people do and think.

Nature Guardian:

It looks like we have people who understood my point, and people who didn't (or who don't want to).

I'm trying to give a twist to this thread by asking: IF THIS GAME HAD THIS SAME EXACT FEMALE CAST, -BUT- ALSO HAD ORCA AND AND A NONSEXUALIZED BATGIRL NOT WEARING BOOBPLATE..... would you be ok with it?

Now I'm waiting for the people who would -not- buy the game unless every single chick is bangable by common standards.

Batgirl was in the first game and she didn't have boobplate.
Batwoman, on the other hand, her inclusion might come with some boobplate. If she get's in. As for Orca, yeah. I'd be cool with it. Can't think of a single reason why Orca would be a bad add, other than being obscure. She'd certainly add more body diversity to the female cast and- Wait, has Batgirl not been confirmed yet? So... no Batgirl and no Nightwing... image
My interest just dropped like an anvil. Batgirl was my go to in God's Among Us. Without her or Nightwing this game just isn't worth it.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

nomotog:

Emanuele Ciriachi:

Nah, they want to use their freedom to control what other people do and think.

sooo, complaining and arguing, you just restated the same thing except in spooky terms, ironically, in an effort to control what we think about the topic and what we do in response to the subject matter.

All complaining and arguing is an effort to exert control over ones idea and present them in a way that tries to convince others to think or act differently, either in whole or in part, trying to frame that in an inherently bad way is stupid, free speech is not just a bunch of disconnected ideas floating in a vacuum without response or arguement, that would eliminate the entire point of free speech.

There's not even a petition or call to boycott, or even any real exertion, if this level of argument is some inherent effort to control what other people do and think, then its about the same level of control I exert over my friends when we argue where to go out for dinner, or when I argue politics with my sister.

Nature Guardian:

I just care about the wishes of the artists. Our job is to let them make a thing and then decide if we like the thing or not. We do not get to tell them what the thing is before they make it as that will compromise the integrity of the work.

I wouldn't like it, if it was in the vein of their past games, but as I said in my first post in this topic I dislike all of their games, so it wouldn't be different. But yeah, if you apply this to a non-disliked game of mine with sexy characters, I definitely wouldn't mind it if they had some characters like the ones you describe.

The important thing is to just let them make what they want to make. What I would be opposed to is imposing our will and making people include elements they don't want to include. If they originally intended for everyone to be as you describe, that's not an issue. (but of course you still get to decide weather you like or dislike the thing after all this occurs so if someone disliked it based on this reason, they are fully justified to dislike it just like how you are justified to dislike its current state)

Phasmal:

Shadowstar38:

Phasmal:
OP, don't you know you're not allowed to diss titties in literally any way? Disliking that specific part of a game makes you censoring people.

Also there's no difference at all between sexualisation and a power fantasy, it's just about exposed skin or something.

Good lord this is boring.

Would bang every women in the given examples. Point invalid.

I know that this is probably a joke but I feel compelled to remind you that men will stick their dicks in benches, vacuums and walls. "Would a guy bang it" is not a good measure of anything other than "is it physically possible for a man to bang it".

Even if it's impossible, VR will find a way. Don't lose hope on me now! We will win against the tyranny of the 3D world.

Dreiko:

Nature Guardian:

I just care about the wishes of the artists. Our job is to let them make a thing and then decide if we like the thing or not. We do not get to tell them what the thing is before they make it as that will compromise the integrity of the work.

I wouldn't like it, if it was in the vein of their past games, but as I said in my first post in this topic I dislike all of their games, so it wouldn't be different. But yeah, if you apply this to a non-disliked game of mine with sexy characters, I definitely wouldn't mind it if they had some characters like the ones you describe.

The important thing is to just let them make what they want to make. What I would be opposed to is imposing our will and making people include elements they don't want to include. If they originally intended for everyone to be as you describe, that's not an issue. (but of course you still get to decide weather you like or dislike the thing after all this occurs so if someone disliked it based on this reason, they are fully justified to dislike it just like how you are justified to dislike its current state)

They don't get to make what they want to make. No matter any comments from anyone here, they have already sundered their independence. I mean the game isn't an original work by one mind. It's a corporate product with more cooks then something with a lot of cooks in it. It's a sequel to a adaptation of a spinoff to a series of long running comic books. You can't get any more hamstrung if you tried.

nomotog:

Dreiko:

Nature Guardian:

They don't get to make what they want to make. No matter any comments from anyone here, they have already sundered their independence. I mean the game isn't an original work by one mind. It's a corporate product with more cooks then something with a lot of cooks in it. It's a sequel to a adaptation of a spinoff to a series of long running comic books. You can't get any more hamstrung if you tried.

They pick people who, knowing all these factors, are still capable of making what they want to make within that framework because what they wanted to make just so happens to not be hampered by any of them as it just coincided perfectly with them to begin with. The idea is to pick people to make the game you need to have as a product that would have made it even if you left them alone anyways. That way, the game is made as someone's ideal and has true passion put in it. That's how you get good games made.

The further away from this ideal, the less good your game is. Persona 5 is a perfect example of what happens when people's ideal game is allowed to flourish.

Now, as I stated, I dislike their games so I am sure in this specific situation the ideal is not followed at all, but as a general rule, this is the principle we ought to apply to everyone and trying to make people to (further) compromise their games is antithetical to that.

Nature Guardian:

Well I I didn't see an edit in the original post with that question so I'm going to assume many people either missed it or glazed over it during the shouty match. And as for Orca, if that's your definition of 'everybody wins' then I believe you're well into the bargaining stage of accepting your own demise. I'm not saying more diversity is a bad thing but apart from being only a slightly notable Batman villain, there are so many other characters they could introduce prior. If we already have Black Adam then I'm betting we've got a good chance at getting Shazam.

Dreiko:

MrFalconfly:

Dreiko:

Before the fight there's another fight or you're practicing or playing casuals so you don't spend the time just looking and even when you do analyze other people's footage you aren't looking at the game in a different fashion compared to the one when you yourself are playing because what you're looking for is tendencies and patterns to analyze or the interactions of the mechanics. You know how a gynecologist can look at a naked female and not sport a boner because it's just part of the job, it's like that. Completely disassociated.

The setting the studies were done in is a different one. You can't equate normal arousal with what is found here, because what you see as a player is hitboxes and active times and such. Not the superficial elements around them. This entire thing stems from people who don't actually know how it is to compete in this setting making assumptions without sufficient information that might "feel" right but actually stem from ignorance.

If we are to talk about involuntary acts, the fight or flight response is what is relevant in fighting games. During a fight or flight event, surival takes over ones urge to reproduce so those types of feelings or ones typical tendency to find sexy things sexy are not at all in play.

Sorry mate.

Scientific studies say something different.

No they do not. They examine a different thing. There's a leap of logic being used to erroneously apply these findings in things they do not belong such as fighting games while one ought to first do a specific study in that context and then apply the findings to it. Not all ways of reaction are the same, especially not when adrenaline is involved which can do things as marvelous as make us not feel the pain of a broken bone even.

The only ones who claim otherwise are doing so from a point of ignorance, and they conclude with saying literally "it's just a theory" so I am not going to treat it as fact when I know better.

Everything is "just a theory".

Theory of Gravity, Theory of Evolution, Germ-theory of Disease.

Don't give me that bollocks.

And that "different thing", is exactly a variable which comes into play during the game.

Now, hop along, and stop trying to explain that you've somehow "risen above your own biology".

MrFalconfly:

And that "different thing", is exactly a variable which comes into play during the game.

Now, hop along, and stop trying to explain that you've somehow "risen above your own biology".

Gravity is a law, bro.

Orga777:

MrFalconfly:

Gravity is a law, bro.

In science, theory and law are relatively the same thing. Laws are just theories with a mathematical system. So a theory about how gravity could be mathematically calculated is a law of gravity.

I'm generally uncomfortable with fan service, but i'm fine with it when it's evenly distributed. I say, give both genders equally absurdly sexualized outfits. Imagine Super Man in a bath towel

Orga777:

MrFalconfly:

Gravity is a law, bro.

It is both

undeadsuitor:

Orga777:

MrFalconfly:

Gravity is a law, bro.

In science, theory and law are relatively the same thing. Laws are just theories with a mathematical system. So a theory about how gravity could be mathematically calculated is a law of gravity.

Kinda.

The theory of gravity is the explanatory model that describes gravity, and the mechanisms behind it.

The law of gravity (Newton's law of universal gravitation) is a specific equation, which is a part of the theory of gravity.

The equation of the law of gravity is F=G*(m1*m2)/r^2, or in English, it's the product of the masses of two objects, divided by the square of the distance between the objects, multiplied by the gravitational constant.

Nature Guardian:

Could be a very long wait.

Well, i wouldn't buy it, but i won't buy the existing game either. I am just not into fighting games and at best barely interested in comics. But i would prefer a game with Orca to one without, all other things being equal.

Just because people don't agree with your complaint, they are not actually opposed to diversity or more options.

MrFalconfly:
Snip

There's a difference between a scientific theory and the kind of theory he's talking about. Scientific theory is basically accepted as fact. The type of theory he's talking about is more of a hypothesis.

I been playing this game and honestly I don't get the complaint of the thread. All the characters take inspiration from their original designs or movie counterparts and add a bunch of armor, that's it. Cheetah is the only one that's "naked" but that also ties in to her comic story where she's a literal cheetah hence why clothes go against her, she's more cat than human, cats don't like wearing clothes or being constricted.

Personally I've grown indifferent to the whole "over sexualized" complaint in pretty much anything. Mostly because a lot of people complain but don't offer any resolution. If a person feels offended by it then good, be offended and do what you will with it but don't make a big deal about people not having the same opinion.

I've played through story mode and the game is far less suggestive or sexualized than even MKX, which was already greatly toned down from the bodacious character designs found in the MK reboot.

If anyone needs to be triggered by anything involving this thread topic, then there are certainly far greater examples of what could provoke it than Injustice 2.

erttheking:

MrFalconfly:
Snip

There's a difference between a scientific theory and the kind of theory he's talking about. Scientific theory is basically accepted as fact. The type of theory he's talking about is more of a hypothesis.

Well, in this case, it's a hypothesis based on verifiable data and measurements.

hanselthecaretaker:
I've played through story mode and the game is far less suggestive or sexualized than even MKX, which was already greatly toned down from the bodacious character designs found in the MK reboot.

If anyone needs to be triggered by anything involving this thread topic, then there are certainly far greater examples of what could provoke it than Injustice 2.

That's the basics of any of these threads really. People getting triggered off of something they actually don't know anything about because they happened to see 12 seconds of trailer footage which is manipulated to tantalize people into buying the product. I believe the word is called "marketing".

To be fair to the OP though, it isn't that the sexualization points aren't valid. It's mostly that they are made with very little (if any) basis. That was what made people have such a problem with Anita Sark's videos. It wasn't her points, it was her examples were clearly just based off of a passing view of a product she had no fucking clue about. Your argument immediately becomes a joke when it becomes obvious you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

The thing is sexualized characters is that context is important. So taking a clip from a trailer isn't going to show you that context. Especially in a game with such an established character framework like Injustice. A character's sexualization needs to be looked at from the context of the character. Not the morality of the viewer.

Also people aren't going to like it when you tell them not to like something that they already like. Nerdy fans especially.

MercurySteam:
If we already have Black Adam then I'm betting we've got a good chance at getting Shazam.

Unlikely--

Silvanus:
Unlikely--

Of course with alternate universes I wouldn't be surprised if he did show up and DLC characters don't have to be critical to the story. Even then, still far more likely than Orca showing up in the lineup.

Supergirl goes through a heroes' jurney to overcome her fears, defy those who want to control her, save her cousin, and become a greater hero than Superman.

And you are ****ing on that because you can't see past the way women are dressed. Great Feminist message there! "It doesn't matter how much you achieve or overcome or how much of a hero you are. If you do it while looking good, it doesn't count."

"MKX: perfect female characters."

Um, excuse me? Okay. First. I'd like to play with you some time in some game like we said before but thats another thing for another day. Second, before I go on I want to say I can totally respect a different view if everyone is respectful of mine as well, okay?
Finally, are you nuts!? Lets pretend I care about Mortal Kombat X's likely dogshit story for a second. I played through the entirety of Mortal Kombat 2011 and found the story mediocre but not the worst thing ever. Spoilers, but in that story Kitana and Kung Lao are both killed at some point right? So why in the hell are the both back in a reveal trailer for MKX? More importantly why is Kung Lao and old man while Kitana is not? What the hell? Both characters are dead from the last game so neither should have aged or controversially both should have but because Kitana is a woman she did not. Again maybe I am missing a bit having not played that game's stupid story because of how much I came to despise the game for what it is and I admit that. Still why I think most of the people who identify as "feminist" in the modern age are colossal morons I can plausibly see some issues of sexism as far as character portrayal and this was something I noticed that other people didn't. I don't need more Tits and Arse when MK introduced some lovely candidates in both departments and both are nice things most without a stick up their rumpa can appreciate. That said Kitana not being old in that situation bothered me, yet like others your "triggered feminism" seems to have dismissed it and claimed the game has "perfect female characters." I should stop you there. Yes maybe there is more to Injustice 2 beyond its terrible DLC practices but maybe you can kindly explain to more on MKX first. I should also admit I have a bias against NetherRealmStudios even while I do not want them to go away. Contrary I even like some of their games like UMK3 and MK9 to a lesser extent.

I sort of skimmed through this thread a bit being too bloody lazy to care about half of it but I can sort of agree with one statement I glimpsed by that went something like "attractive characters looks better when they are not the only kind of characters." Even if its fantasy and people being what they want or like sexually I can agree with that.
As long as I can have a civil discussion about fighting games that will forever make up for the differences we share in views and that's is lovely. Have fun explaining your views lassie.

Thoranhaxmaul Thoranhaxmaul:
Supergirl goes through a heroes' jurney to overcome her fears, defy those who want to control her, save her cousin, and become a greater hero than Superman.

And you are ****ing on that because you can't see past the way women are dressed. Great Feminist message there! "It doesn't matter how much you achieve or overcome or how much of a hero you are. If you do it while looking good, it doesn't count."

Because he was clearly criticizing the story...oh wait, he wasn't.

Jesus Christ lady, you are going way too overboard with this. I mean maybe some characters like black canary or cat woman are a little tad bit sexualized, but he others, no way! I can maybe see what you're saying but the rest either aren't sexualized at all or need to be to live up to the way they act or look in the comics. The examples that you gave, like the female beast is more specialized than the male, that's because the male beast is literally a gorilla and the female is a mutant human that still has the human structure. Cheetah has always worn skimpy clothes and that's because she doesn't really give a shit. She's a hunter not a model. And I don't think anyone would find pleasure looking at a lady with fur all over. And poison ivy literally needs to be sexualized because that's her whole point. She seduces men and women and then kills them with her plants. That's how she has always been ever since she was created. Like you are REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel.

erttheking:

Thoranhaxmaul Thoranhaxmaul:

Because he was clearly criticizing the story...oh wait, he wasn't.

That... has to be the worst defense of baseless accusations I've ever seen. "I'll have you know, I only saw the POSTER! So my accusation that Animal Farm is nothing but a stupid cutesy children's movie is above reproach!"

Don't you see the genius? They made sexy female characters, but also made them look like horrifying dead eyed possessed Barbie dolls, forcing the player to confront their attitudes towards sexual objectification as Harley Quinn stares into their fucking soul.

Injustice 2 is an awful, awful fighting game. The female character designs were made to pander to the SJW crowd. But it makes sense since NetherRealm just makes fighting games for casuals.

yelferj:
Injustice 2 is an awful, awful fighting game. The female character designs were made to pander to the SJW crowd. But it makes sense since NetherRealm just makes fighting games for casuals.

Lol

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or