90.9% (841)
I never though of it, but because of your enlightening post, I will become one
0.5% (5)
0.5% (5)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Why do you (not) eat meat?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

BAAAACOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!

And by pure coincidence, I am watching a special on restaurants that specialize in bacon recipes. For example, there is a candy shop in California that makes chocolate covered bacon.

Parkway91:

I see the slaughter and farming of animals to be a terrible and unnecessary waste of life. We can survive by not eating meat so why should we kill other beings just to satisfy a want.

We can survive without computers, television, roads, houses if you want to get picky. What, that hole in the ground not GOOD enough for you, eh?!
Why should we defile and destroy the land just to satisfy a want?

I eat whatever really.>.> Fish Meat Veggies Fruits...yeah there is nothing that i won't eat *As long as it is Edible Tasty good and Sanitary*

Soods:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Now your turn!

Could you explain your statement that you believe it is harmful for the environment?

I eat meat because I see no compelling reason not to, it's tasty, and it's hard to get the protein you need without it.

Because it's cheap(beef), delicious, and give's me protein. And dammit I love rib's.

Because biologically, I'm an omnivore. It's really that simple to me.

Sorry, but because, bacon. Bacon is the god of all things and like any omnivore thats had bacon, craves meat.

The Heik:

Soods:
Greetings humans. Today I would simply like to know, why do you eat meat? And if you do not eat meat, you can tell why not.

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment. And I hate the greasy taste it leaves in my mouth. Also: "Look at me! I'm so hipster for not eating meat!"

Ok, before I say why I eat meat (which I do), I have to point out that most of the world doesn't usually eat meat, so technically eating meat is the hipster option.

OT: I eat meat because I enjoy the taste and texture. Now granted, vegetables are technically more healthy, but I'd rather live to be 60 and enjoy the taste of meat than live to be 90 and never know the succulent flavour of bacon. Besides, Omnivores and Carnivores exist for a reason. If all of the complex organisms ate plant life, we'd swiftly consume all flora on the planet, and with it all of Earth's oxygen. And we'd all DIE. I'm just maintaining the balance.

meat isnt unhealthy on the same level of sweets/chocolate...we are able to eat it for a good reason (its got good stuff in it)

I used to be strictly carnivorous. Vegetables were a weird thing in my life, and I didn't want any part of them. However, after losing 71lbs and discovering the necessity of complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables - I've found that my body, personally, enjoys the lighter side of eating. My diet during the week is mainly organic vegan/light vegetarianism. I feel lighter, healthier, and just better. My omnivorous husband gives me a hard time about it though, calls me a hippie because I believe in being eco-friendly. I also seem to have a problem with how animals are treated before they die to feed most people. Call me soft, call me weak, but it's the pain of the 'product' I can't stand. It's the small cages, the filth, the beatings, the killing machines, the indifference to any suffering of other beings that feel joy, pain, fear; the way they go about it just seems completely unnatural and unfair.*

(*Personal opinion - don't shoot!)

Soods:

Now your turn!

Because I believe that eating plants is immoral.
Also you are using a computer that is harmful to the environment. Go live off the grid with no power or vehicles and grow all of your own food and then we can talk.

I need meat to live.
you can't get all meat nutrients from meat replacers and humans have evolved to be omnivores.

I am currently on a form of the Paleolithic Diet, a diet that naturally encourages the consumption of hunter-gather eating, rather than the farming & harvest forms of today. Meat is just plain good for you. It's an important part of the human diet. Here, allow paleo-purveyor Mark Sisson to elaborate:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meat-eating-human-evolution/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/in-defense-of-meat-eaters/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/veganism-again/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vegetarian-myth-review/

There, that ought to do it.

Loop Stricken:

Parkway91:

I see the slaughter and farming of animals to be a terrible and unnecessary waste of life. We can survive by not eating meat so why should we kill other beings just to satisfy a want.

We can survive without computers, television, roads, houses if you want to get picky. What, that hole in the ground not GOOD enough for you, eh?!

I'm not being picky. You have a good point. But when the want is at the cost of another beings life, I don't see the justification in that.

Kurt Cristal:
I am currently on a form of the Paleolithic Diet, a diet that naturally encourages the consumption of hunter-gather eating, rather than the farming & harvest forms of today. Meat is just plain good for you. It's an important part of the human diet. Here, allow paleo-purveyor Mark Sisson to elaborate:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meat-eating-human-evolution/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/in-defense-of-meat-eaters/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/veganism-again/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vegetarian-myth-review/

There, that ought to do it.

thats what really pisses me off

its one thing to adopt and promote vegetarian/veganism for one reason or another

but to spread mis-information to make meat eating seem "unhealthy" is really fucking....awful, PETA and the like do it

and when they use burgers as an example of meat...of coarse is unhealthy ITS A FUCKING BURGER

.......hmmm tasty burgers...excuse me

Parkway91:

Loop Stricken:

Parkway91:

I'm not being picky. You have a good point. But when the want is at the cost of another beings life, I don't see the justification in that.

the cloths you wear, even the electronics you use are possibly made by slave labour in everything but name, most of our comforts in this first world western country come at the expense of 3rd world people

I eat it because it's murder. Tasty, tasty murder.

I'm not a vegetarian but I rarely eat meat. Why? I think it's overrated, and far too expensive.

As someone on the first page said (but I won't quote, because people still quoting you multiple pages later is annoying), I eat meat for the same reason I eat anything, it tastes good.

There's been plenty of posts trying to justify why they eat meat, or stating that they can't which is why they don't.

I don't see the need to justify anything, I like meat, I'm allowed to eat meat, I will eat meat. That's it, I do not care where it comes from nor how the animals were treated beyond any health implications it may have on me.

My metabolism is way up there.
I get hungry minutes after I finish eating.
If I abstained from meat, I'd starve to death.
Or waste away and weigh like 25kg.

Edit: Also, it's tasty.

manic_depressive13:
I can't justify unnecessary slaughter to myself, so even though I liked the taste and it made up a large part of my diet at the time, I stopped eating meat. The ridicule I had to put up with when I gave it up was so absurd that it only strengthened my resolve.

I'd actually like to steal your post. Not because I .. agree, as such, but because of the word 'unnecessary'.

I think that if it was practical for me to live on a vegetarian diet (or at least cut out meat from animals with higher-order thinking[1]) I would probably do it (or at least make an effort). I just think the word 'unnecessary' can be a bit less black and white than it sounds. I mean, does necessary mean "There are alternatives" or does it mean "There are financially viable alternatives" or does it mean "I am my own provider and can therefore choose what I do and do not eat without it impacting on others"? I currently live with my parents, so saying "I will only eat fish, plant life and any nutritious rocks I may or may not find" is not only impractical, but would inconvenience my parents (as they are the ones who would predominantly purchase/choose what food we eat as a family).

So I almost agree with what you said, but while it seems fairly cut and dry from a theoretical perspective, when I take into account personal circumstances, it becomes less clear than you make it seem.

EDIT:

Darknacht:

Soods:

Now your turn!

Because I believe that eating plants is immoral.
Also you are using a computer that is harmful to the environment. Go live off the grid with no power or vehicles and grow all of your own food and then we can talk.

This made me think of this

[1] Love me some salmon

Airsoftslayer93:
Morally I object to eating meat (although stem cell test tube meat would be ok) and i can resist bacon, But vegetable currys just don't hack it.

Morally I object to eating vegetables they are for industry and making my air ... and seasoning

rednose1:
Because I take a rather dark pleasure in knowing that for me to exist, other must die, even if they are animals. I have even looked my (now dead) cat in the face several times and told him that if it came down to it, I'd eat him to live. Miss that lil guy.

The more sane reason is because I can. I evolved to be able to digest meat, and it carries some benefiets to it. Yes, too much red meat is bad for you, stop harping on it. Hell, anything overdone is bad for you. Even drinking too much water can kill you. Everything in moderation folks, and that includes tasty, tasty meat!

I tell my cat all the time that she would be the first of my families 3 cats to become stew in an emergency, though to be fair she is like 20 lbs and when we got her i did want to name her emergency rations

Soods:

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment.

Soya farming is pretty destructive to the environment as well from what I can gather. Neither options are particularly sustainable

However, back to the OP, I eat meat partially because I grew up with but mainly because I love the taste of it. Nothing like a roll with bacon and square sausage on a Sunday with a coffee and the paper!

lRookiel:
I don't eat meat because I see this when I see animals. :3

My first thought was "I hate rabbits...duck tastes good, I wonder if rabbit does?"

Cuteness does not phase me. :P

Also, because I like meat, it tastes good. Of course I really should eat more veggies, got to have a balanced diet. :D

Well, I'm very picky when it comes to meat. I eat only chicken, bacon, and pepperoni on my pizza.

I just don't like the smell, taste, and texture of other meats. On top of that, I only eat chicken that is properly breaded, so no grilled. I don't like chewy meat or meat that I have to chew a good deal to get it apart from the whole or just into pieces. Looking at fast food, other than KFC, I like Wendy's chicken the best. On McDonald's, I like their new McBites(Basically popcorn chicken, though KFC's popcorn chicken is better) better than their McNuggets.

Secondly on the chicken, it has to be free of the bone or I won't eat it, so boneless.

On bacon, it must be crisp/crunchy. I can eat chewy bacon, but I don't eat it gladly.

I maybe weird with my eating habits, but all that really matters is that I eat bacon.

And speaking of weird, next time if you ever have Wendy's nuggets and a chocolate frosty, dip the nuggets in the frosty. Now that is a treat. A frosty, not just for dipping french fries anymore.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Because I can...?

Look, I'm under the opinion that there's room for all God's creature right next to the diced potatoes and the veggies smothered in some kind of tasty sauce. It's not my fault they are delicious that way.

So, you're a cannibal? Humans are one of God's creatures as well.

I do eat meat because as an omnivore meats are a necessary part of my daily diet, and is required for me to get my daily protein intake. To maintain a healthy diet I require fruits, vegetables, meats, grains, and dairy.

Because I love meat more than most other foods. Lamb, venison, and Beef especially. Oh my the many different recipes that I could list. Gyro's, Jerky, Beaver Balls[1], veal, steak, burgers. God how I love meat.

lRookiel:
I don't eat meat because I see this when I see animals. :3

Not trying to pull you over to the wonderful world of omnivores but that picture reminded me of past experience.

At one point eating anything originally small and fuzzy was a no-no for me, since my friend had/has several pet rabbits. However there came one day when I was at my grandpa's cabin an hour or so drive away from the nearest grocery store, food was low enough that we would otherwise have to just eat junk food, and the rabbits (Wild! Not my friends!) were an annoyance for the cabin's garden. Needless to say we had rabbit that night. Don't regret it, rabbit stew is damn good. No longer have the issue anymore and I don't hold my friends pet rabbits (which are adorable by the way!) and think "you would be tasty in a stew" nor would I try and eat them under any normal circumstance.

[1] No beavers are harmed in the production of this dish. It is simply cubes of sirloin Steak, toped with a slice of jalapeņo, wrapped in bacon, and broiled. Taste divine though the name puts a lot of people off but hey, more for me.

Soods:

Now your turn!

first off, there is nothing enlightening about your post. so the fact you would have that as a option clearly labels you as a self-absorbed, arrogant PoS.

Secondly, it is in NO WAY harmful to the environment. Eating regular proportions of meat is actually the best thing for the environment.

This is my problem with most vegetarians. You praise yourselves for doing something you dont even understand. Eating meat, especially meat that was hunted from a local animal population, is not only very healthy but helps keep the environment in balance.

I dont mind it when people are vegetarians. I just hate it when they announce it to everyone as if they deserve some type of award or attempt to convert other assholes to their idiotic ideals. Please do some research before you spew more of those farts you love so much.

Soods:
Greetings humans.

Said like you're not one of us. :p

Soods:

I do not eat meat because I believe it is harmful for the environment.

Same here. Cows fart, a lot.

I'm personally quasi-vegitarian, in that I choose not to eat beef or pork. I've been doing it for several years now, and by now either one of the two is slightly revolting to me. /shrug

Vault101:

Parkway91:

Loop Stricken:

the cloths you wear, even the electronics you use are possibly made by slave labour in everything but name, most of our comforts in this first world western country come at the expense of 3rd world people

true... and let us not forget about the giant swaths of land cleared and killed off just so we can use that land to mine for basic resources needed in those items... and hell how many acres of land are cleared a year for farming? eating farmed food may not be directly killing something for that food but indirectly is still causing the starvation and death of numerous animals and people... we live on a single planet and everything we do is technically, at some level, taking from someone or something else.. it's the way life works... people who complain about eating meat or not eating meat strike me as people to stupid to understand what the food chain is which is sad because it gets taught to toddlers and even they seem to understand (lion king!)

people need to learn to accept reality for what it is, and enjoy a nice big bacon cheeseburger

and a word from Rocco

Sonic Doctor:
Well, I'm very picky when it comes to meat. I eat only chicken, bacon, and pepperoni on my pizza.

I just don't like the smell, taste, and texture of other meats. On top of that, I only eat chicken that is properly breaded, so no grilled. I don't like chewy meat or meat that I have to chew a good deal to get it apart from the whole or just into pieces. Looking at fast food, other than KFC, I like Wendy's chicken the best. On McDonald's, I like their new McBites(Basically popcorn chicken, though KFC's popcorn chicken is better) better than their McNuggets.

Secondly on the chicken, it has to be free of the bone or I won't eat it, so boneless.

On bacon, it must be crisp/crunchy. I can eat chewy bacon, but I don't eat it gladly.

I maybe weird with my eating habits, but all that really matters is that I eat bacon.

And speaking of weird, next time if you ever have Wendy's nuggets and a chocolate frosty, dip the nuggets in the frosty. Now that is a treat. A frosty, not just for dipping french fries anymore.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Because I can...?

Look, I'm under the opinion that there's room for all God's creature right next to the diced potatoes and the veggies smothered in some kind of tasty sauce. It's not my fault they are delicious that way.

Oh goodness no! I only eat the cute and adorable ones, like cows and sheep.

manic_depressive13:
I can't justify unnecessary slaughter to myself, so even though I liked the taste and it made up a large part of my diet at the time, I stopped eating meat. The ridicule I had to put up with when I gave it up was so absurd that it only strengthened my resolve.

You post would be less silly if people hadn't actually done the calculation and worked out that roughly twice as many animals are killed per calorie for grains and vegetables as for meat products.

Plus, the slaughter is even more senseless, since we don't eat the mice/groundhogs/etc killed in the process of raising and harvesting grain, for instance.

Because if the pig could eat me, it would.

Not even joking, if a pig gets the chance it will eat you.

I personally choose not to eat meat because I just had steak for dinner, I'm not very hungry and I've obtained enough protein for the day.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Sonic Doctor:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Because I can...?

I figured. I commented because the play on words was funny.

Sonic Doctor:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Sonic Doctor:

I figured. I commented because the play on words was funny.

Yeah, I didn't really pick up on it until your comment, and it made me chuckle.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked