What's the most OVERRATED genre of music?
Modern Rock (KoL, Franz Ferdinand etc.)
3.9% (16)
3.9% (16)
Rap/Hip Hop (Eminem, Kanye West etc.)
25.1% (102)
25.1% (102)
Electronic/Dance (Tiesto, Avichii etc.)
10.3% (42)
10.3% (42)
R&B (Estelle, Rihanna etc.)
7.6% (31)
7.6% (31)
Indie (Modest Mouse, Noah and the Whale etc.)
7.6% (31)
7.6% (31)
Britpop (Travis, Keane etc.)
1.5% (6)
1.5% (6)
Mainstream Pop (Lady Gaga, Kesha etc.)
40.4% (164)
40.4% (164)
Classical Music (Mozart, Beethoven etc.)
2.5% (10)
2.5% (10)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The most overrated genre of music!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Jazoni89:

Perhaps people like the Original 2-step, and not the mainstream Derpstep stuff like myself for instance.

2-step is a different genre bud, basically garage.

Join me in labelling the newer, commercial side of dubstep "nuStep". Brostep doesn't quite paint the right picture and the newer stuff has pretty much nothing at all in common with dub (the roots/reggae kind).

Tipsy Giant:

Spot1990:

NubiJuan:
rap hip hop because just go and listen to it. i can understand mainstream pop because its supposed to be what it is due to the fact that it is mainstream pop by definition. rap hip hop can't hang on to that excuse. any generalizations one makes about it would probably end up being mostly true. now I know a few rap hip hops songs that I thought were pretty good, but mostly the genre sounds like one boring beat holding up some jackass rambling on about himself in the manner of 3rd grader. thus I think it is overrated.

No boring beat.

Fantastic lyrics.

I think gangster rap should be the one being held as overrated because that's what everyone seems to hate when it comes to rap.

I'm going to jump on the defensive side with

welcome to 21st century poetry

The only rap group I listen to:

They got a message, they got a rhythm and they aren't using any synth either :D

GoaThief:

Jazoni89:

Perhaps people like the Original 2-step, and not the mainstream Derpstep stuff like myself for instance.

2-step is a different genre bud, basically garage.

Join me in labelling the newer, commercial side of dubstep "nuStep". Brostep doesn't quite paint the right picture and the newer stuff has pretty much nothing at all in common with dub (the roots/reggae kind).

I mean Dubstep with the Two-Step influences of Two-step Garage.

Yeah, I agree, it should be changed, as too many people are getting mixed up with the good Dub, and the bad side of Dub.

Vault101:

The Diabolical Biz:

TakeshiLive:
I'm suprised here, I thought Mainstream or Rap would be at the forefront of overrated-ness. As a grade 8 student for piano, I am forced to enjoy aaaalllll the glory of barqoue and classical music. (The romantic pieces and jazz pieces are good though)

Woo same! Although I'm only doing one Baroque piece for my Grade 8 - a Scarlatti Sonata.

The Romantic stuff is breathtaking though, I'm a complete sucker for Chopin.

OT: I guess I throw my vote in with Classic Rock, which isn't an option in the poll. People enshrine it as this mythical era of wonder, where every song was golden and had meaningful lyrics and was artistically integral. Blarrgghhhhhh and bullshit, I say.

couldnt agree more...I mean I can apreciate it for its "historical" contribution...but the actual music is just nice and maintream..and safe..and BORING

I do love rap though...for somthing to be "overated" it has to be held critically in high regard.."generally" rap isnt

so for example justin beiber is not over rated

What a coincidence - I, too, am a great admirer of Rap music.

I prefer the older, 90s stuff. The latest album I've liked that wasn't pure instrumentals came from around 2003; Champion Sound. Check it out!

I would have to say electronic or more precisely DubStep. It's bloody everywhere! seriously, it's driving me mad. how someone can listen to it is beyond me.
oh well, everyone says the same thing to me as well. "how can you listen to heavy metal? it's just noise."

Man...people who think pop music is bad today are lucky they can't remember the late 90's/early 00's. Seriously...let's take a look back

Early to mid 90s were pretty good. Then came the Boy Band and Pop Diva wars...

Classic rock. Not because it's bad (I actually quite like it,) but because people seem to have issues moving past it. I understand that we all want to emulate the drug fueled insanity of the 60s, but maybe we should try and find a new sound to work with--and before fans of, say, wubstep step forth, I MEAN A NEW SOUND THAT DOESN'T SUCK ALL THE DICKS.

I voted for Modern Rock but what I really mean is Classic Rock because people drool all over music JUST BECAUSE it's from the 60's and 70's and that was a 'better time' or something and they thrive off the nostalgia of an era they were never alive in.

The hippies grew up and marketed their youth culture to future generations and make bank on it. It's really hyped up as the best music there is and it really isn't.

Honorable mention goes to dubstep because I can't believe that the majority of people actually like it so much as they like being trendy.

I was going to say electronica because dubstep fanboys have a tendency to hop on all my rage triggers at once, but then I remembered how the opening to Brutal Legend encapsulated everything I hate in this new generation of "metal."

I can't really vote, since I feel that pretty much all of the genres(and especially the bands that you put as examples) are overrated in one way or the other. Heck, the only artist on that list I don't consider overrated is Beethoven, he's bad-ass.

My "standard-rule" is usually that if it's played on commercial radio, it's probably overrated, but hat's just my shitty opinion.
Genres aren't overrated, artists are.

In a pinch though, I'd vote for "Mainstream Pop".

loudestmute:
I was going to say electronica because dubstep fanboys have a tendency to hop on all my rage triggers at once, but then I remembered how the opening to Brutal Legend encapsulated everything I hate in this new generation of "metal."

That parody-music sounded more like a particularly bad post-grunge song than metal, to be honest.

DustyDrB:
Man...people who think pop music is bad today are lucky they can't remember the late 90's/early 00's. Seriously...let's take a look back

Early to mid 90s were pretty good. Then came the Boy Band and Pop Diva wars...

True that, dude. Smash Mouth and Blink-182 are my faves from that list.

Anyone recall the dreaded year for music that was 1997 *shudders*

There was a list somewhere but "Barbie Girl" by Aqua was at the top of it... I thought it was going to be a clever song, taking the mickey out of the image of a "barbie girl." But.... the band insisted on it being played as a straight song with no message. Then a little part of me died.

TakeshiLive:

OK Computer was released in 1997, it can't have been that bad.

OhJohnNo:

TakeshiLive:

Alright, admittedly every year has its bad songs but many, many bad songs were released on that year. I can't remember them because the self preservation function is kicking in and wiping all memory of them away.

Btw, Rebecca Black was also born in '97

TakeshiLive:

OhJohnNo:

TakeshiLive:

Alright, admittedly every year has its bad songs but many, many bad songs were released on that year. I can't remember them because the self preservation function is kicking in and wiping all memory of them away.

Meh. I care little about Rebecca Black - she's already almost forgotten.

And my point was that surely OK computer makes up for all those bad songs by being one of the best albums ever. :p

Either punk rock or classic rock. For the former, rejecting virtuosity and giving the bird to the system doesn't make you more authentic than the guys you're rebelling against. For the latter, Journey is overrated, the "if you can remember the 60s, you weren't really there" thing was a load of hogwash, and radio still won't budge in their stance in playing the same stuff over and over again.

OhJohnNo:

TakeshiLive:

OhJohnNo:

Meh. I care little about Rebecca Black - she's already almost forgotten.

And my point was that surely OK computer makes up for all those bad songs by being one of the best albums ever. :p

Peh, just forget I ever brought '97 up...

I like The Police back in their day and I don't think they get much attention, anyone else think this too?

kman123:
I think technical/progressive metal is overrated.

I don't hate it...I just don't get it. And a lot of it is critically acclaimed. I just don't dig stuff like Protest the Hero, or Gojira.

I'm gonna get hate for this...

Gojira is one of my favorite bands. D=
I can see where you're coming from, though. I think it's an acquired taste. I used to be turned off by technical bands like that, even Gojira, but now I enjoy them. ^-^ EDIT: Still not too into PtH :P Sorry fans.

OT: Mainstream pop and any kind of -core music. No matter where I look I see people drooling over the latest autotune ridden mess or scene kid doing a breakdown.

The way they are both mass produced, over-produced and targeted to tweens you might as well have put rap and mainstream pop in the same category. Whatever happened to two turn tables and a microphone?

CLASSIC ROCK. WHY IS THIS NOT AN OPTION?

I dunno if it's just because i live in the South, but I swear to god if it's not a generic "hits" pop station, it's a "classic rock" station passing off nickelback, pearl jam, motley crue and kiss like it's gospel. It's the most bland, tasteless, money grabbing genre out there in my opinion.

Somewhere Kurt Cobain is wishing for a second suicide because of Classic Rock.

Tipsy Giant:

Gerishnakov:
I'm not sure why R&B and mainstream pop have been separated for the poll. They've pretty much merged now.

I voted for R&B, because it is just pop music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. Dubstep's kind of headed that way, but it's still just a trend at the moment.

THANKYOU

I hate it when someone says "I love R&B" and I ask them what they think of motown and they clarify "Modern R&B", I groan and walk away shaking my head. POP is POP is POP, doesn't matter what "BEAT" it has, it's still shitty pop music

Good man! I harker back for the days (before I was born) when R&B meant: Rythem & Blues

Burs:

Tipsy Giant:

Gerishnakov:
I'm not sure why R&B and mainstream pop have been separated for the poll. They've pretty much merged now.

I voted for R&B, because it is just pop music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves. Dubstep's kind of headed that way, but it's still just a trend at the moment.

THANKYOU

I hate it when someone says "I love R&B" and I ask them what they think of motown and they clarify "Modern R&B", I groan and walk away shaking my head. POP is POP is POP, doesn't matter what "BEAT" it has, it's still shitty pop music

Good man! I harker back for the days (before I was born) when R&B meant: Rythem & Blues

Check out this track, it has Fontella Bass of "Rescue Me" fame singing on this modern track and I think it is amazing R&B

I chose mainstream pop. Almost all music has its pluses and its minuses. As long as it was made with a little soul, it can be some good music. Pop music, by and large, is a carefully-controlled formula for success, and lacks that passion, that soul, that makes true music good. It's less of a belief in what they're doing,then doing it at the behest of a few marketing heads and producers. Bleh.

Watching the Re:Generation Music Project last night, (really cool, check it out, by the way) and one of the projects was Skrillex teaming up with the surviving members of the Doors. While a lot of people would frown on his music, watching Sonny and the Doors begin to jam out and just have some damn fun making a crazy dubstep track brought a smile to my face, and made me like Sonny a little more than I did. There was fun, there was passion, there was soul, and it shows in that crazy-ass track they coughed up. Some would say that stuff is over-rated and not music, but watching the collaboration in that studio made it patently clear that music is music is music, and this bridges all genre and age.

No music should really be considered over-rated, but damn it if pop music doesn't come the closest. It fits the criteria, what with being the most popular kind of music (hence the name, eh?) but often the least interesting.

OhJohnNo:

TakeshiLive:

Also...these critically acclaimed albums too.

Bjork - Homogenic
Modest Mouse - The lonesome crowded west
Spirtualized - Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
The Prodigy - Fat of the Land
Portishead - Portishead
Mogwai - Mogwai young team
Strapping Young Lad - City
Sleater Kinney - Dig Me Out

I prefer Kid A, and the Bends, to OK Computer, yeah I said it, still a great album though.

unoleian:
I chose mainstream pop. Almost all music has its pluses and its minuses. As long as it was made with a little soul, it can be some good music. Pop music, by and large, is a carefully-controlled formula for success, and lacks that passion, that soul, that makes true music good. It's less of a belief in what they're doing,then doing it at the behest of a few marketing heads and producers. Bleh.

Watching the Re:Generation Music Project last night, (really cool, check it out, by the way) and one of the projects was Skrillex teaming up with the surviving members of the Doors. While a lot of people would frown on his music, watching Sonny and the Doors begin to jam out and just have some damn fun making a crazy dubstep track brought a smile to my face, and made me like Sonny a little more than I did. There was fun, there was passion, there was soul, and it shows in that crazy-ass track they coughed up. Some would say that stuff is over-rated and not music, but watching the collaboration in that studio made it patently clear that music is music is music, and this bridges all genre and age.

No music should really be considered over-rated, but damn it if pop music doesn't come the closest. It fits the criteria, what with being the most popular kind of music (hence the name, eh?) but often the least interesting.

Dream pop, and Noise pop are amazing though.

Especially this album....

Masterpiece!

The Diabolical Biz:

I prefer the older, 90s stuff. The latest album I've liked that wasn't pure instrumentals came from around 2003; Champion Sound. Check it out!

ohh! I just might (thanks)

latley Ive been listening to Kid Cudi...I think he's great '

Nasrin:
CLASSIC ROCK. WHY IS THIS NOT AN OPTION?

I dunno if it's just because i live in the South, but I swear to god if it's not a generic "hits" pop station, it's a "classic rock" station passing off nickelback, pearl jam, motley crue and kiss like it's gospel. It's the most bland, tasteless, money grabbing genre out there in my opinion.

Somewhere Kurt Cobain is wishing for a second suicide because of Classic Rock.

because CLASSIC ROCK IS THE BEST THING THERE EVER WILL BE BECAUSE!! now stay right there..I need ot call the thourght police because theres obviously somthing wrong with you

haha..no I agree completly..the real irony here is that as far as music goes i think classic rock is one of the few that can ACTUALLY be called over-rated..and yet its not an option

perhaps the OP is leting his/her personal taste skew the poll

TakeshiLive:

No! :P

In addition to the excellent choices above

Classical
Oh it's great! I listen to it every day in my car, and I try to play it on my electric guitar!
But damn is it lionized!
It's not like good music was just NEVER written after the 19th century. There's no such thing as a be all-end all for anything, but NOOOO classical holds this nigh untouchable position wherein should you state that you do not always care for it or limited knowledge of it, points are immediately deducted from your perceived intelligence.

While we're at it, 70's rock. Also good at times, but what if we just stopped reading books that were written after "the Lost Generation" or the gilded age? I've seen guitar fanatics that refuse to play or teach anything beyond the late 70's. So effectively, you get hours and hours and hours of Zepplin...
Everyone gets tired of Zepplin.
(Especially since they plagiarized a butt ton of stuff)

GoaThief:

TakeshiLive:

Oh yes, the Ol Pimps!

Most excellent taste me good sir!

Also, that Aphex Twin track is sick.

I want to say all genres of music are overrated. I mainly listen to a combination of various Metal, Dance, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Indie and Punk (My personal fav :D) and I find the people I talk to always say that the genre they prefer is the best. But the ones I find are always quicker to write everything else off as crap or just think that all music under a specific genre is crap are the Indie fans. I'm not sure why tho... I have a friend who is a massive indie fan and he listens to a second of some of my fav songs and just says "Nope, awful."

I hate that pop music is so popular for no reason..

GoaThief:

spartan231490:
Is it bad that I want to click on or even 3 genres in the poll?

Rap.
Dance/techno.

And maybe classical music as well.

Also dubstep, but that's less of a genre and more of a technique, really.

Dubstep is a genre as much as techno is, but I bet you're using the word "techno" as an umbrella term for all electronic music. May as well go ahead and call The Rolling Stones death metal as they all use distorted guitars, bass and drums - right? Black metal isn't really a genre either as it's more of a technique...

/silliness.

I think the problem with the poll is that the genres aren't "equal". There are several different kinds of rock music listed yet rap only gets one. All electronic music gets shovelled in with commercial dance which could really just be considered "mainstream pop" because that's essentially what it is, the same applies to modern rnb.

It's a fun thread anyway.

Actually, I'm not using techno as a shoehorn for all electronic music. I don't have a problem with electronic music in general, I have a problem with techno. Now, if you're done judging people from up on that high horse, I'll be going to sleep now.

GoaThief:

TakeshiLive:

I'll just stay back here, in the 80s ._.

Dreamer of Theaters:

kman123:
I think technical/progressive metal is overrated.

I don't hate it...I just don't get it. And a lot of it is critically acclaimed. I just don't dig stuff like Protest the Hero, or Gojira.

I'm gonna get hate for this...

Noooooooo! Why is that? I love prog metal.

Don't get me wrong, I dig my Dream Theater and Opeth. It's definitely an acquired taste. Mars Volta for example. One of the most critically acclaimed bands ever. I don't like them at all. Along with Dillinger Escape Plan.

GoaThief:
[snip.

THANKYOU! somone understands..I swear to god daft punk and techno dont belong in the same sentence

spartan231490:
[snip.

to be fair people do it all the god-damn time and for peopel like me and him who liek and see merit in electronic its wall-bangingly frustrating

but good to see you arnt..so thankyou

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked