10.6% (15)
10.6% (15)
Zoidberg
13.4% (19)
13.4% (19)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you enjoy poetry?

Pages PREV 1 2

I love poetry, I've written quite a bit of my own material which I'm proud of. I don't exactly read much official 'poetry' but I like to analyze the lyrics from songs I listen to, which are themselves a form of poetry. Its a shame that poetry is such an unpopular art form these days, some schools never study it and switch on the most popular radio stations and you will just hear "WE ARE NEVER EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER" repeated over and over again until you want to kill yourself.

shrekfan246:

Wow thanks for sharing that, that's awesome =)

I hate poetry that tries to be art, basically if the poetry doesn't know that it is poetry and attempts to be something more - then I hate it. But poems that know that they are just words.

When poet and poems that don't attempt to be something more than ideas, words, human culture. I like the material.

But yeah. In school the poetry classes and literature history, was just suffering. Because you cant take that shit seriously.

Let me read from my old exam paper that I found yesterday when shuffling trough my OLD stuff.

Here what we had to write 4 page essay from to pass the mandatory course:

" /////////////001{-blck-}////01010
..../Func.17////fls///
.......///ht///Lv......
.......-- ........ prnt///"

How can you get anything out of that? Of course I managed to write just plain bullshit to pass... With bad grade...

King of Asgaard:

Gabanuka:

King of Asgaard:
I'm a literature student, so I'll let you decide.
Hint: You kinda have to in order to not fail exams.

Not true. I like classical poetry and I had to do and exam on contemporary shit (not saying all contemporary poetry is shit but by God what we were doing was) Still passed the exam with great marks.

I suppose so, but liking what you're studying makes it a far less painful time.

Personally I always found it was the stuff I either loved or hated that I wrote best about because I was passionate enough to justify my feelings. It was the poetry I was indifferent towards which I struggled to write well on.

OT: Depends on the poem. There are bits from almost all the eras and movements of poetry which I like but the majority doesn't do it for me so I don't tend to buy anthologies etc. because I enjoy such a small proportion of them.

Korenith:

King of Asgaard:

Gabanuka:

Not true. I like classical poetry and I had to do and exam on contemporary shit (not saying all contemporary poetry is shit but by God what we were doing was) Still passed the exam with great marks.

I suppose so, but liking what you're studying makes it a far less painful time.

Personally I always found it was the stuff I either loved or hated that I wrote best about because I was passionate enough to justify my feelings. It was the poetry I was indifferent towards which I struggled to write well on.

OT: Depends on the poem. There are bits from almost all the eras and movements of poetry which I like but the majority doesn't do it for me so I don't tend to buy anthologies etc. because I enjoy such a small proportion of them.

Agreed, but having an opinion because you liked it makes writing essays on it easier, but when it comes to poetry you dislike, you have to hide your disdain and praise it regardless, something I kinda find hard to do.

I enjoy crude poetry, or something that confounds expectations. See the assumption song by OneyNG for a good example.

A lovingly written romantic poem, as the precursor to a good, hard shag, is also much to be admir'd. Or so they say. I wouldn't know.

I cannot stand it,

Except for Haiku I guess.

School ruined the rest.

Dragoon:

lechat:
i find poetry

often overly wanky

i do not like it

I seem to agree

Mostly it is pure bullshit

But at times it shines

Haikus can be fun
But sometimes they don't makes sense
Refrigerator

I'm very ambivalent towards poetry. Older, more structured stuff (war poetry, Invictus as mentioned above, and stuff that generally isn't trying to be intellectual) is by and large pretty enjoyable, but free verse or free form or whatever the fuck they're called fill me with a burning hatred of written language.

This sort of thing, I enjoy: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/175898

Why oh yes certainly,

Poetry is a boon,
Much like the moon.
It brightens up the dimmest hearts,
And sings beauty where there is none.
It makes turmoil and torvalescence begone.

Yosharian:

shrekfan246:

Wow thanks for sharing that, that's awesome =)

No problem! Taylor Mali is the guy who got me interested in 'slam poetry' (which is what that was :D), he's a really talented guy and he's got a great presence while performing on stage.

'Classic' poetry is a bit hit-or-miss for me (as my earlier post probably showed), but with slam poetry there isn't really a firm foundation of rules you have to abide by. A good flow of rhythm is practically all you need.

I won a poetry award from a contest sponsored by a university when I was in high school, but then I lost interest. However, after taking a course on Old English that included a healthy chunk on Anglo-Saxon poetry, I see my interest being re-kindled.

I hate it, but there is one poem that I do like, for the simple reason it feels like jazz

Since my way of communication is streaming conscious based I dun get it, even if I write in flowery words and contexts.

I do like it it can be potent stuff but......I dun get it.... LOL bbwwaaiinnsssss.... *nomnomnomnomn*

I am bit by bit doing free form poems.

I know its too long and it sucks but there is something there, just need to keep at it and understand the flow of more proper poems.
=================
Union drone, slave of society, binding ring, foolish tool, king of nothing.
By:ZippyDSMlee/Lee Jarvis

Drones, cube dwellers rise up rise up. Then sit back down.

Get on the phone and say I want less pay. Then turn around.

Try as you might to fight for more hours for less pay and get on the ground.

Then rise up, yes....yes...rise up and beg for less health coverage. Then sit down.

Place your witless head upon the table of paper pushing torture yes, yes lay it down.

Rise up once more lift up your head once more and then smash it though the desk of oppression.

And tell your boss you are not going to take this penny pinching obsession.

Then turn around....and around then lay down... upon the cold hard ground.

Then sleep, sleep in dream and endless days of work and toil day in and out.

A sleeping dreamy bout of lost time. Out out you must find a way out.

Awaken to a different time where things have changed but everything is the same.

Tame as it may be you see them for what they are. As you rub your scar.

Fight, yes fight rise up, rise up I say and , and; go back to work you stupid dirty peasant.

Dance, dance I say, frolic and piss on yourselves like a headless pheasant.

Bow and beg, grovel and stutter the masters are near for I fear things won't be so pleasant.

Even if you lemming off the nearest sudden drop off you are a still faceless peasant.

Peasant, drone clone a tool a fool a thing a binding ring to rule all.

Fall, fall to your knees enslaved the ring that binds blinds.

Married you are to repetition in a surreal wonderland of greed.

The seed do you not see the sea of endless rule for rule.

You must be a fool because you act like a tool for change.

Then when change appears vague and despondent you abandonment is your only solution.

As delusion is the solution for choosing to become a salve a drone a popper king.

King of nothing but a life abused and misused by a society that cares not.

Hot for truth and caring should be a society and be very cold to subterfuge society ignores for gold.

Cold ever lost in the cold as humans are a slave to their own delusions so bold.
=================

Check out my deviantart page(same name as here) if you care to. ^^

I have no skill, no tale to tell
But sometimes they spreads their horrid wings
They start with ideas that are oh so well
But once my rhymes take flight they become twisted things

And although I have written many a rhyme
With dictionaries, examples and practice
But they seem to become worse every time
I've eventually concluded that I'd rather lick a cactus

I do quite enjoy poetry, both as a form of entertainment and out of respect for those that actually manage to write good poetry. Those who can write poetry and those who can write comedy have my greatest respect, as I find those two things particularly hard to write.

I don't really know how to enjoy it, personally. Its effect is often lost on me.

Poetry sucks ass
Hate analysing this shit
I'll go read a book

I like it as a component in music. Dry I would rather just read something profound or introspective rather than have it veiled in an unnecessary layer of whimsy, but that's just me.

I absolutely despise that it's a prevalent part of standardized education though. Of all the trivial things I was forced to learn in school, poetry seems like it's the least likely thing one would ever use in a real life situation. It's also half of your English class every year from 2nd grade all the way to the end of high school so I'm inclined to dislike it just because so much of it has been shoved down my throat.

I don't know how anyone could think The Raven isn't awesome.

Love reading it. Hate writing it.
Not sure what that counts as.

FelixG:
There needs to be an option between "as much as the next guy" and "omg I love it."

i agree with this guy /\

as for me i'm a Scot and was brought up to believe that "every true Scotsman" should know at least some Burns...

i like it and appreciate it for what it is at its best.

what i don't like is what i call "windy trees poetry"...which is written by a certain kind of person...eh...i dunno how to explain it but if you know it...well, you'll know it...

Some. But to me, that's like asking "Do you like movies?" or "Do you like video games?" Sure, but not ALL of them. Not even most of them. But some... some just hit the right spot.

[...]
Dying is an art, like everything else
I do it exceptionally well
I do it so it feels like hell
[...]

Sylvia Plath is my favorite. She knew things that others didn't.
(Excerpt is from "Lady Lazarus.")

capper42:
I don't know why, but I'm not a poetry fan. I love song lyrics and analysing them or finding out what they're about, but just find poetry to be quite dry. That said, I rarely sit down and read a load of poetry, so maybe I'm just remembering what I had to read for school.

Maybe it is reading it that's the problem? Maybe if you went to a poetry reading you'd enjoy it more. Sorry to make the assumptions it's just if you like lyrics maybe hearing poetry would suit you better.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked