Extreme weather in your area

Pages PREV 1 2

Last Hugh Alive:

Arakasi:
Today was one of the hottest days on record where I live, on the surface of the sun.
Seriously, it was about 45 degrees celsius.

I'm guessing you also live around NSW, or at least in South East Australia? Because yeah, yesterday was absolute balls. Hottest recorded temperature here since freakin' 1937 I think the news said?

It sucks because I bought Dust: An Elysian Tale that morning but couldn't play it much without my 360 probably overheating because it was that hot and we only have fans in our house. So yeah, yesterday was awful. Just awful.

I have a tip at the start of a reallly hot day or before Close all curtains/blinds and windows keep all doors closed as well, and your house should be at an alright temperature (also if you have pets keep them inside I have a friend whose birds have all died from the heat)

Yea the extreme weather where I live is mostly just extreme heat its so annoying as I much prefer the cold.

Arakasi:
Today was one of the hottest days on record where I live, on the surface of the sun.
Seriously, it was about 45 degrees celsius.

Australia?
Assuming so, it was insanely hot yesterday, Supposedly Syd reached 47 degrees. Just shy of half the heat you need to boil water.

Thankfully its not bad today.

Given the fact that it's already been mentioned and that it's fairly uninteresting, I'm not gonna talk about where I live now. However, where I used to live is having some serious extreme weather right now: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/18/world/asia/indonesia-jakarta-floods/

It's some pretty scary stuff to be honest, especially considering I still have friends there and the flooding has knocked out people's power.

Pat8u:

I have a tip at the start of a reallly hot day or before Close all curtains/blinds and windows keep all doors closed as well, and your house should be at an alright temperature

I live near the beach such that if I open the window to my room and close all others a cool sea breeze comes in, provided the win is right. But yeah normally not letting the hot air in is the wise move.

Grand Forks, ND

I'm originally from Norway so i thought i'd cope ok with the cold, and hey i do (when it's not in motion). The snow doesn't even bother me that much.
But the wind, man... the fucking wind, and that biting wind chill that comes with it. I swear it sometimes feels like it's about to chew my face off.

We had a blizzard last weekend, and apparently it was just "mild" by the standards of this place. I didn't go outside at all. I dread to think what a "bad storm" is like around here, but i'd probably just skip whatever classes shot up on that day.

London wet snow, good reason to finish work at 13.00, Al Gore where is the global warming you promised me, London is cold and icky :(

lechat:

i assume you are not in australia then cause at 45c that seems pretty low for a car

my car was reading 77c the other day and the dash was literally melting, no aircon in the sucker either but since i didn't really need to go where i was going i was like

The car was reading it was 51*C outside while I was on the highway home from Sydney -> Newcastle.
When I got into it, was around 60-65*C

Ryotknife:

Jazoni89:

Ryotknife:

DAFUQ?

dang, we need to get a foot or so before we can think about getting the day off. a few inches is a normal day.

as for extreme weather:

Potsdam, NY. During the winter we get 2-3 weeks of -50F (-45C) or below with windchill. It is so cold you will get frostbite within ten minutes, and you can snap off chunks of lightly damp hair and use it as a knife.

pulaski, NY. A raging blizzard centered around the town, go 30 minutes in any direction and you will find clear blue skies and roads.

State of Alabama. Tornadoes. Scary as hell as they come out of nowhere. By the time you see it, it may very well be too late.

You obviously don't know British weather.

We only have snow once, or twice a year, most of the time it's either cloudy, or rain. We are never prepared for snow at all, and in most parts of the country they don't bother gritting the paths or roads because it's such a rare occurrence that it wouldn't be worth the money, so when we see snowflakes we shit our pants pretty much, as everything goes to shit really for at least two, or three days.

Airports shut, schools shut, you name it...even if it's just a few inches. As a nation, Snow is our greatest weakness.

grumble grumble lucky bastards grumble grumble

you guys have warm water currents around your country correct?

We get weather currents coming from everywhere, so that why it can be sunny one time, and then five minutes later there can be rain.

To be honest, the UK is crap for weather, it so damn inconstant.

The coldest it's ever been in my hometown Oulu was about -43C. Luckily it was only for one day, but holy shit walking to school was torture.

That being said, the worst kind of weather here is when its about -20 and its really fucking windy. Add some snow thats really not snow, but more like shards of ice into the mix and goddamnit you'll wish you were somewhere else.

The worst weather I have ever been in is at last years Download Festival where it rained solidly for about 3 days. Apparently the weekend of the festival, we caught the tail end of a hurricane which brought strong winds and driving rain which ruined my tent and gazebo that we'd brought for some shelter. It lead to mud beings about ankle deep and almost cancelled the first day of bands due to there being too much mud to be safe. That was a fun weekend.

Currently Britain is the grip of some terrible snowy conditions, but Lincolnshire hasn't had too much of it. Apparently we're getting the worst of it today.

Aus again, the other day at midnight it was still up at 37c at midnight and the south eastern bit has been on fire for some time.

Wales is... a bit white at the moment. Not sure how long it'll last, but some of the snow's melted and frozen so I basically can't leave my flat without risk of injury right now D:

I'm in the South East of England, and on Thursday it was kind of cold, (-2C to 3C) but a clear day. On Friday it was probably a wee bit colder, but a quite heavy snow for most of the day. The public transport was a shambles, and their was traffic backed up for miles on the roads, but I had a grand time out in the snow.

A few inches of snow these last couple of days in the North East UK. Nothing too unusual, until last night, when there was a massive fucking explosion that shocked the hell out of everyone. It turns out you can get lightning during snow storms. According to wikipedia, it's called "thundersnow", and is a "very rare" natural phenomenon.

Mikoi:

lechat:

i assume you are not in australia then cause at 45c that seems pretty low for a car

my car was reading 77c the other day and the dash was literally melting, no aircon in the sucker either but since i didn't really need to go where i was going i was like

The car was reading it was 51*C outside while I was on the highway home from Sydney -> Newcastle.
When I got into it, was around 60-65*C

This is one of the reasons I love being able to ride a motorcycle. The Australian roads and climates are perfect for it and a hot road means nice grip for your tires and you can accelerate and brake like a champ. Gotta make sure to drink a lot of water though because even with the 110km/h winds flowing through your jacket, your helmet can still become quite steamy if it's too tight.

Of course, I have a car for rainy days and days I don't feel like riding but I park that in a garage at home and under shades at work and the air con works like a charm so luckily I don't have to worry about driving a mobile oven. My old car wasn't like that though, so I know your pain.

Switzerland here, the coldest day we had this winter was -25c sofar and our hottest days in summer usually are around ~ 35c
That's still a 60c difference :)

I'm Australian, What do you think.
Right now half the country's burning and the other half may as wall be.
It's so hot I poured McDonalds coffee in my lap just to cool down.
Then I lit on fire.

Well, I hail from Iceland. When it comes to temperatures, our weather is fairly mild. Winter in the capital averages around 0C (32F), while during the summer it averages around 10-13C (50-55F). Right now it's 5C (41F) and it normally doesn't jump more than 10 decrees C from the average.

It can get windy around here although nothing like hurricane levels of wind. The worst stuff we get tends to reach tropical storm levels. However, absolute calm air is a rarity and when it rains, the norm is that it's coming at you from the side. No one bothers to wear an umbrella around here.

While not exactly weather related the biggest extreme stuff we get around here is the number of daylight hours. During the high winter we get around 5-6 hours of daylight but almost 24 hours during the summer.

Well it is floppin up and down rather oddly here at the Fin-Swe border but nothing remotely interesting, goes from 0 to -25C every other day

Caint remember having any really cold winters in recent years

"And the rest of the world trembled at the prospect of braving the weather 'patterns' of the Midwest region of the United States."

Seriously, here in Missouri the weather does not give a fuck. The summer is the weirdest.
One day it's humid as hell (seriously, like flames erupting from the ground) and the next night hail will be striking your house. Then it'll rain for three days straight, and back to blistering heat. I'm not even exaggerating. Well maybe the part about the ground flames.

My city tends to flood at the end of winter and end of summer.

Snow melts too quickly(Rather it builds up on the sides of the roads, and that build up melts) at the end of Winter. The end of Summer we tend to get a lot of rain storms.

5 years ago we had a flood that wiped out most local businesses as they were under a foot of water throughout Main Street. Luckily I live in the high part of town.

And several months ago we had a wind storm that left most of Ohio without power for a week.

Other than that we have rather mild weather. We get enough rain to cross a few roads and hold up traffic, but the flood like 5 years ago is a rarity.

We get Blizzards form time to time. I mean I live next to an alpine lake so we have the altitude the cold and the winds to justify that.

Around Christmas we got a shitload of snow (about 30-40cm), last week nearly all of it melted (it got warm enough that some people got out in shorts and t-shirts) and today we got maybe 10 cm. That's a bit weird.

But the most extreme weather I've seen was the freezing rain we got in '98:

My area (Kiev, Ukraine) is retarded. It goes from -25C in the winter to +35C in the summer, every fucking time. Right now it's actually unusually warm for January: the temperature is dancing sround the 0C mark. Which is annoying, because all that snow thaws in the day, then gets frozen right the hell back in the night, which is why it's so slippery all the time. It's not walking anymore, it's ice-skating.

I live in Ireland, it can be extremely mild here sometimes.

I live in Idaho and My car is covered in 2 inches of ice. :(

In Yorkshire we got quite a bit of snow, but it was passable, certainly not as bad as the media made it out to be. My boss on the other hand has been a bit of a diva about it. He said to me that he would be late as he had to get a bus to work as he couldn't dig out his car (even though the majority of the snow had melted by about Wednesday). I couldn't believe it as I have to get two buses to get to work for 8 in the morning, so he got absolutely no sympathy from me. A bit of snow in England and people get a bit hysterical about it in my experience.

-40 to -50F in the winter (-40 to -45C)
80 to 90F in the summer. (26 to 32 C)

The most extreme thing that has happened this winter is that we got up to +30 this month, causing freezing rain.

It almost never goes above 0F in January.
It has never gotten warm enough to cause freezing rain in January in the 10+ years I've lived in this city.

-40F in November. +30F (-1 C) in January. WTF is the world coming to.

You know what I love about the UK, we have half an inch of snow and the country is thrown into chaos, thanks to a bit of news scare mongering, and makes us look like a bunch of wimps. Although this year it was pretty bad tbh, there was a whole 2 inches! The horror!

We don't really get extreme weather in Wales. Except if you count when we can actually see the sun. Although we tend to get some pretty bad flooding most years in the UK from crazy rainfall (building on flood plains does that didn't ya know) AND manage to have a drought & a hosepipe ban at the same time. It's pretty mild here, and I like it. I like the rain too.

cathou:
This morning when i got in my car, the temperature was -32c...

So what did you think of this past week's weather? I hear it's supposed to go up to 6c by next Wednesday... crazy.

Well, last week it was like living on the sun, 35+
Now, it's raining and 18....

STAY WITH ME RAIN <3

I'm from Florida, so I mostly have to deal with the occasional hurricane and annoyingly hot summers. I haven't been directly in a hurricane for a few years though, so I haven't had to worry about that sort of thing in a while. I remember being frustrated about going long amounts of time without Internet or power when the hurricanes would happen though.

tasmania australia, 21c, over cast. yeah nothing much of anything happening here. a couple of years ago we had snow fall one afternoon which was doubly weird as 1. it doesnt snow here and 2. it was the middle of summer and the day proceeding it was 33c

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked