Is Teen Titans Go any good?

Pages PREV 1 2

Rossco64:

So is Teen Titans Go any good as a goofy comedy about superheroes?

If you want a goofy comedy about superheros Teen Titans Go is excellent.

If you want something deeper you'll be left wanting. But as far as goofy comedy goes it's practically gold.

EDIT
But... this is coming from someone who thinks you're never too old for Teen Titans.
And is a Brony
Just thought those two things might help put my opinion in perspective for you

It's an Adventure Time-esque show with the Teen Titan character line up. If you like Adventure Time (and other shows which are two or three short stories in a 30 min time slot, not a single show) and you like Teen Titans, you will probably enjoy Teen Titans Go. And there is the parody aspect going on in many of them as well, as others have stated. If you like parodies, you'll probably like TTG.

Personally I like it. The episodes are just long enough to tell an entertaining story, but short enough to not have many slow sections. I would PREFER the longer stories like the original Teen Titans show, but I won't complain about TTG.

I gave it a chance. But, it's basically just a bunch of skits without any lasting impact. And I found the skits to be hit and miss, heavily missing more than anything else. The characters are caricatures of the original show's cast, and it doesn't seem to know if it wants to consider the original show as a thing or not. If you're a fan of good action, you should definitely look elsewhere. And the humor seems more aimed at making fun of the characters than celebrating them or cracking jokes at the situations. Things which the original actually did do when it did comedy.

I will admit that I stopped bothering after about 3 or 4 episodes, though. There was a "plot" about Robin being jealous that Speedy was hitting on Starfire. Speedy ending up asking Starfire out, and Robin kidnapped him, dressed up as him, and then went to sabotage the date as Speedy. Not only did that seem entirely out of character, it was a lame and overused plot that I always hate. It was painful to watch.

So that pretty much ended my desire to even try to like it. Maybe it gets better, I don't know. I doubt it could get worse from there.

To the show's credit, I don't think I ever saw a fart joke. So that's something. Right?

I love Teen Titans Go! It's got some solid writing, and comedy behind it's childish art style. As many said before me, the series is surprisingly good. The series is less "Oh my god! Crime! Lets go fight it!" and more what happens in between. Cyborg's meatball Parties, laundry issues, Robin's Prized staff breaking, Robin's driving lessons, and such. It's more interesting than it sounds, IMO.

each episode is like 10-ish minutes long. 15 with commercials.

If you get Boomerang, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of reruns of the predacessor Teen Titans on Boomerang. I highly suggest watching it as it's a solid series, too.

My best advice, though, is to watch a few episodes when you can. Give it a chance, and make your own choice.

WAH!, it's not the same as TT and YJ has been cancelled, WAH!...

...*ahem* I've seen a few episodes and it's pretty meh overall, a nice little show to shut your brain off and watch funny looking cartoons doing stuff...

I don't know, a lot of the humor and jokes in GO are just your standard sitcom sketches like "high strung character is forced against his will to relax" "everybody avoids doing laundry" "A prank goes wrong" "a lie gets out of control" in a teen titan wrapper, and written under the assumption that you've seen the parent series and know the characters.

It's okay, but when it's up against shows like Adventure Time and Regular show, which have the same offbeat sense of humor and jokes while being meaningful and having full characters at the same time, it's just....okay.

Mr Cwtchy:

Unsurprising that people are hostile towards Go though. Perhaps they see it as an 'inferior replacement' of the original(I felt the original ended where it needed to), and use it as a target for their pent up anger over it ending.

Or maybe it's just the usual internet thing of being overly-negative towards something they don't like.

The problem is that marketed itself as a sequel to the original Teen Titans show, yet was nothing like it. Everything about the original show that fans liked was gone, replaced by a crappy cartoon that tries way to hard to be funny and does a terrible job of actually being funny besides, with characters that don't even act remotely like the Titans who do horrific things that the original Titans would NEVER do (Beast Boy KILLING THE ENTIRE TEAM FOR LAUGHS stands out). Another thing is that it's a superhero show that doesn't actually have superheroes in it. It doesn't matter the show, if it's a show starring superheroes, I expect to see those superheroes ACT LIKE SUPERHEROES, fighting thugs and supervillains and so forth, which almost never happens. Worst of all, it feels more like a show that the creators knew was going to be crap so they slapped on the Titans to get viewers. Take the Teen Titans out and put any group of characters in, the Looney Tunes, Justice League, Avengers, whatever and you wouldn't be able to tell this was EVER supposed to be a Teen Titans cartoon.

The real problem though is the lack of balancing. Attempts at humor are so much more effective and a lot less pathetic when one isn't being bombarded constantly with one pitiful attempt after another and has some seriousness in between. The Jimquisition had a video about how misery is more effective when there's some joy in there too, but it applies to the opposite as well. Have a look:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6281-Crying-Through-The-Laughs

Belaam:
I am guilty of the nostalgia goggles, but also the tone. I feel as though the Batman/Superman/Justice League stuff all had a reasonably serious tone. They were action with a bit of comedy. Teen Titans went a little more goofy and the more recent stuff Teen Titans Go, Brave and the Bold, etc. went even more towards the comedy and slapstick.

Yeah, The Brave and the Bold is more comedic, but at least it has plenty of serious moments to balance out the campiness. TTG is just slapstick, slapstick, more slapstick, (getting bored now) slapstick some more...

DrBoomstickESQ:
It bombards you with silly until you can't help but smile.

So Go! basically takes the 'Airplane' route of comedy? Throw out as many jokes as humanly possible and hope that a handful stick? If that is the case then I'll continue not watching Teen Titans Go!.

I enjoyed Teen Titans when it came out, and I'm 28. It wasn't as good as BTAS or JL/JLU but it was fun and it was a way to bond with my little sister and brother. Actually my little bro was Robin during the year that TT was on TV. He got a pretty good response from other kids his age. My dad was so confused because as far as he knew Batman was the cool one not Robin.

Teen Titan's go has its moments but it's mostly a miss for me.

Owyn_Merrilin:

But by your own description, the show was kind of decent but also very flawed. If you listen to the nostalgia goggles crowd, it was the best show ever, and Go! is an abomination. When in reality it's a solid parody of a mediocre at best show.

I think people cheat them selves by trying to grow up. At that age i was going down the rabbit hole that was anime. And yes i didn't brag about watching it,
it was a cartoon.
it was pretty fucked up at times lol.

I still kinda feel that way about it.
Back on titans. No it was not the best show ever. I felt it had run it's course. Their might been room to squeeze out another season,but it was pretty done.

Go is stupid, it's funny, but it's stupid.

Teen titans go is like if you took MLP FIM and replaced the writing and art work with Ren and stimpy writers and artists.
Now would that be funny? ( The Mov series speaks for itself, it's a delightful troll job)

but that's basically what Go is ^^. A troll job.

I loved the original, and never quite got around to Young Justice.

I thought it was really cute and funny. It made me smile, a lot. So if you don't mind a little light-hearted goofiness, go for it!

I think it's cute and funny.

Take that with a grain of salt, though, as I also like Uncle Grandpa.

Mr Cwtchy:

Owyn_Merrilin:
But by your own description, the show was kind of decent but also very flawed. If you listen to the nostalgia goggles crowd, it was the best show ever, and Go! is an abomination. When in reality it's a solid parody of a mediocre at best show.

I wouldn't say very flawed. Obviously no show is perfect, in terms of numbers I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. Evidently you disagree, 's cool. I digress anyhow.

Unsurprising that people are hostile towards Go though. Perhaps they see it as an 'inferior replacement' of the original(I felt the original ended where it needed to), and use it as a target for their pent up anger over it ending.

Or maybe it's just the usual internet thing of being overly-negative towards something they don't like.

It doesn't just have to do with its relationship to the original Teen Titans, it's the show that was "replacing" Young Justice. A show that was damn good and finally did what I've been wanting from super hero cartoons for pretty much my entire life. It put tons of heroes on the screen at once. I'm not even a fan of super hero stuff but I loved that show.

Go! may be respectable and even funny at times, but its still just a sub par flash cartoon when compared to what can be done with flash (MLP). Young Justice was a cartoon that was just like the old Saturday morning cartoons in the 90's when animation was strong. Seeing a great show like that now, what happens? It gets cancelled? Of course it does, and its replaced by a random parody of one of the shows that was good back then. Of course people are going to be pissed.

If you like the crap genre that is the Stoner Funny show as for example Adventure Time or Regular Show you'll like Teen Titans Go. If you compare it to the original show you're only going to be sad. On its own Teen Titans Go is alright, nothing special, if it's compared it's crap. Also don't let us on the internet tell you what to watch, watch it for yourself and formulate your own opinion.

Taken on it's own merits and not as an extension of the original Teen Titans it's not terrible. It's not really my cup of tea but I don't hate it.

My main issue is mainly that it's a little too frantic. The humor is almost exclusively visual slapstick. In and of itself that's fine but it almost seems like the writers main priority was to create as many sight gags as possible and then, if they had time, write a story that would loosely tie them all together.

To be honest it's actually a bit exhausting.

So yeah, it's a fun little show and I don't mind watching if it's on, but I don't go out of my way to tune in.

I'll be the first to admit that the original Teen Titans show probably gets a bit too much love (and this is coming from someone who really liked the series). The show is IMO, outside of its multi-part episodes, somewhat weak in the writing department. Obviously there are a few exceptions to that statement but I feel that overall that's a fair assessment of the series. The series also ends very abruptly and in a highly unsatisfying manner.

As far as the "Waaaaaah Young Justice got cancelled" goes I, having watched the entirety of the series after it got cancelled, can kind of see where people where coming from. I was surprised by many of the more mature aspects that got brought up in a "kids show". The episode 'Secrets' (s01e18) comes to mind. I think that the makers of Young Justice had a bit more of a warning of their demise as this series ending didn't suck quit as much as Teen Titans' did.

Which brings us to Teen Titans Go! I made it through less than half of an episode of this show. It's too frantic and frenetic. The "storytelling" is barely coherent and even if it where the greatest writing ever that wouldn't save it from the fact that I find the art style to be among the worst I've seen in a cartoon in recent memory.

I have to be honest, having checked out some clips from the original Teen Titans, I'm going to have to call nostalgia goggles. I think kids would like it(and they clearly did) but it's kinda just coming off as an awkward/cheap anime knock off. TTG on the other hand has me entertained within a 3 minute clip.

I only saw one Episode segment so take this with a salt shaker but, I thought it was kind of annoying. Instead of having an over-arching plot like the original Titans (I had to mention that) the episodes seem to work as stand-alone segments. The episodes are really light-hearted though and if I were to give it another chance I might find something I like in there. Sadly, the episode I saw was about Beast Boy and Cyborg liking pie...and being best friends because of their love of Pie...they sang the same song three times...

I never watched Young Justice. I saw a couple of bits and pieces though...it seemed overly doom-n-gloom but what else would you expect from DC and their New 52 *buh-dum-tish*

I like the show a lot. It's just fun and theirs usually at least one spot that has me cracking up. Kind of wish it was a companion show to a continuation of the original but for what it is and wants to be it's really good.

Rossco64:

I was too old for Teen Titans when it came out.

No such thing.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development.

When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

-C.S. Lewis

You really shouldn't be worried about being 'too old' for anything. Just live your life for your own happiness and enjoyment (where it doesn't hurt others) 'adult' and 'childish' are artificial distinctions.

As for the topic at hand: I haven't watched it, but I loved the original show. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Raddra:

Rossco64:

I was too old for Teen Titans when it came out.

You really shouldn't be worried about being 'too old' for anything. Just live your life for your own happiness and enjoyment (where it doesn't hurt others) 'adult' and 'childish' are artificial distinctions.

As already stated in this topic I was about 13/14 when TT originally came out, I was not interested in watching kids shows because (like every other teenager in the world) I cared what others thought. I was already known as the guy with the Gamecube who played "baby games", I wasn't also going to be the guy who watched children's cartoons. I clearly don't have that problem now seeing as I'm inquiring about a children's cartoon.

If anything the people saying that you shouldn't care about what others think about what you watch seem to be the most self conscious seeing as your all calling out a 14 year old, who essentially does not exist anymore, for thinking he was too old for Teen Titans.

Makes sense, I missed that bit. :) Relax.

DON'T TELL ME TO RELAX!!! *throws chair at another chair*

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or