Zero Punctuation: Scribblenauts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Superlordbasil:
can you just spawn the stars?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/9/23/

as if that isnt why you asked!

I wish he'd review something other than really shit games. Sure it was fun but it's not hard to pick on a bleeting lamb. Why not Dirt 2 or Risen, or that bloody Aion that everyone keeps banging on about.

Lol it was pretty alright, though the only part that seriously made me lol was his situation with the dangling pick-up over the lava pit. THe game kidna sounds interesting but according to him it may be too inconsistant to be doing what its trying to do.

Overall, good vid, though I wish he reviewed cooler DS games.

Good review, would be fun if anything was availabe like that.
Now it has to be done... Cuthulu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ammadessi:

Superlordbasil:

Yes and no. Typing "Starite" will indeed spawn a Starite, but that will not win the level for you. You have to get the Starite that the game asks you to get.

darn well one would question the need to hunt for starite when you can spawn masses of them or just spawn everything you want for that matter

Apparently there's an infinite Starite cheat involving a pair of handcuffs, a vending machine, and a flexible conscience.

Also, good review Mr. Sebastian Godzilla, blah blah, whatever.

crotalidian:

Superlordbasil:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/9/23/

as if that isnt why you asked!

are well you found me out but i really did want to know

they should of calling it "Adventures in summoning Cthulhu"

I want to know what can really beat Cthulhu?

Since I own it and I feel I need to defend it, I'll admit the controls are a serious issue and sometimes one does feel like they have to constantly go back to the same tired-and-true methods of solving a puzzle.

Yet that's the entire point of the "advanced" mode, which is to solve one level 3 different ways without using any objects from the previous attempts.

As for the "sandbox" mode, that's supposed to be so you can find out what does work, as well as goof about.

In the end his complaints are valid but I find this is the kind of title where mileage will vary drastically.

MrBacon:

And all those epic battles you wanted to make when you heard about this game? You can only make characters fight if one of them is DEFINITELY evil, and one is DEFINITELY good...

So explain to me how you can use a lovecraftian horror (or a velociraptor) to fight off 3 soldiers who are most definitely evil?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Pretty good episode. I'll still be getting the game though...

AceDiamond:

MrBacon:

And all those epic battles you wanted to make when you heard about this game? You can only make characters fight if one of them is DEFINITELY evil, and one is DEFINITELY good...

So explain to me how you can use a lovecraftian horror (or a velociraptor) to fight off 3 soldiers who are most definitely evil?

OK, so maybe not everything follows that rule, but in general, good things seem to want to protect you and evil things try to attack you...

Ha! Pinata full of spiders.

Good review as always.

I found the game to be loads of "fin" without having to spawn Cthulhu or a jetpack. If you don't have imagination, this game isn't for you I guess.

Also, there has to be something truly marvelous in a game that lets you reunite a cat and its owner using a black hole, as is watching God and Satan fight it out with Snow-shovels or clearing a park of trash with napalam.

If you have the imagination, this game has the fun.

I personally prefer the Hot Air Balloon or Blimp over the Helicopter.

My least favourite level is one where you're told to pin down a giant without killing him. Twenty ropes and a shitload of walls later, it's still trying to kill me. Knocking it out by giving a cop a tranquilizer gun doesn't help much either.

And, yes, I found the same problem of losing creativity. Once you realize that rope solves half the problems, the incentive for trying things kind of wears off.

Drawbridge and Toy Balloons also work rather well, as does Chain. But I'll be damned if Winch actually does anything.

MrBacon:

AceDiamond:

MrBacon:

OK, so maybe not everything follows that rule, but in general, good things seem to want to protect you and evil things try to attack you...

Wow what a shocker.

I heard you can spawn longcat in the game.

oh i remember how hyped i was about this game, and when a friend of mine somehow got a copy before the danish release date and i got to try it for 45 min i was even more hyped, i was counting the seconds to release, and then i played it for another 45 min and it got boring, spawning things and watch them rub against each other loses its appeal really quickly and the puzzles weren't that interesting, never bought it and laughed when my friend wanted to sell it to me after he had played it for 4 hours.

Watching Yahzees review about the awfulness of this game nonetheless was overpowered by the thought, "There's a DS game where you can write words and manifest objects (including Cthulu) in the game world? That's awesome." Sounds like something I'd at least rent.

this game is pretty great and some of the puzzles are well thought out. though the thing that truly sold me on it was when i was supposed to make farm animals and i spawned a baby and a bear then the bear ate the baby and the farmer so i failed the mission.

but all these problems are true especially the movement physics. i cant tell you how many times ive died from spawning an object and trying to grab it but it being too small so i click slightly to the side and my guy goes running straight to his death.

ive been using bears for those levels where i need to kill things. perhaps now ill try cthuhlu.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Yahtzee R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

A Mythos reference, hooray!

Another excellent review! Somehow I could see this result from a mile away. The concept behind the game was nice but the end result left much to be desired.

I like what the game has in mind, but it looks like it will lose its fun way too quickly.

*bursts out laughing* I knew this game would be a rip off. Thanks Yahtzee for dissuading me from purchasing it

Thanks Yahtzee, I was just about to buy this game, thinking it would be odoules of fun >_<

LMAO @ the credits
*FHTAGN!*
*FHTAGN!*

I dunno though, the game itself is still a remarkable feat. Being able to conjure just about ANYTHING seems incredible (the game has fucking CTHULHU). And you could always try to limit yourself, say by using words with only two syllables or five letters. I think the game is great if taken in the right context (like Electroplankton). I'm still gonna buy the game, but still, good job Yahtzee!

And as far as the whole "boulder" issue goes. That's the beauty of the game. Okay, so it's a bit fucked up that "Huge rock" =/= "huge boulder", but that's not the point. The point is that you could easily replace the boulder with a bridge or a jetpack. I can understand the whole "can't think of anything when given everything" symptom, but I don't think that's a credible reason to fault a game.

Having not played the game for myself, I can't actually form a real opinion of it. But even still, passing it off as a gimmick seems unfair, so with that in mind, OFF TO EB GAMES TO FIND A USED COPY!!
(because paying full price for anything is for rich folk)

God damn it Yahtzee, will you stop bloody reviewing the one DS game I buy per year?! The TWEWY one was a pleasant and amusing surprise but now you're reviewing ones I haven't even had delivered yet!

*Shakes fist at Amazon and UK release dates)

Another entertaining review as always though, and I hope your new house in R'Lyeh is a nice one.

Everything he said is true, but Scribblenauts can still be kinda fun for a while. The worst thing is definitely the "huge boulder" problem. I'm imagining a very large rock, but if I can't find the right word for it, I end up with something the size of a basketball. The most annoying this is the way that many levels start with such items already spawned almost as a way to teach you... but there's so many words that you can't remember which ones you really want. A note taking system might have helped (yes, I'm too lazy to go get a pen and pad).

Interesting. I really thought that Yahtzee would at least laud the game for being a somewhat original concept. I watched over a friend's shoulder while he played it for about 5 minutes, and while it looked alright, I was convinced that it wasn't really 'my kind' of game.

AceDiamond:

MrBacon:

AceDiamond:

MrBacon:

Wow what a shocker.

I didn't mean it like that... I Meant, that if you summon 2 evil things, they'll both try to attack you and ignore each other, and vice versa.

I gave the game a go and got bored fairly quickly. The ability to spawn everything was a novelty and nothing more. It was fun for a few hours, but then the controls began to show how truly bad they were and I ended dying a fair few times.

Good review. I might trade the game in, I dunno. It still has its moments of fun, it isn't entirely awful.

I actually quite liked this game...

mikecoulter:
I actually quite liked this game...

So did I, but really I watch Yahtzee for the comedy, not for game recommendations. If I refused to play every game that he said was utter crap, I'd have nothing to play.

Amazing review. Say what you want about the game it is highly addictive. Nothing better than conjuring God and Cthulhu and watching them duke it out.

Wha? That's the most boring thing in the game. Google Fight is more fun.

This is why game developers should talk to Yahtzee BEFORE they are crucified here.

I find it interesting that a Yatzee review -Yes, funny, but unbiased?- has convinced so many would be buyers to avoid this game. If the initial idea appealed to you, buy the game. If it seemed silly or you had doubts from the beginning, don't buy it. Kinda like in the old days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here