There Will Be Brawl: Episode 10

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

This series has been the best one I've seen online since RvB. I have enjoyed every minute of it.
Major kudos, props, applause, internet points etc to the entire team behind There Will Be Brawl!

Is that ending suppose to lead off into a new series when if nintendo makes another Super smash bros???

Then i am sorry to say but looks like nintendo has to kill off everyone who died in the show and bring in brand new characters... HAHA anyways great series loved every moment of it good job guys and i hope the best for everyone who was involved in this great show.

Endocrom:
Fantastic series, they've really outdone themselves.

Some say sequel, I say leave it as it is and do something different.

BTW, I was suprised to see that TWBB has an entry on imdb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1428410/

I just posted on the forum there to try and give it some more activity, this show needs some more Press!

Holy crap! The ending was simply amazing! I smell a sequel.

But seriously, great job. Nice wrap up to a great series. Bravo.

Talcon:

kingnothing997:

Pay closer attention, the last kiss was forced. Ganon grabbed her and she was frightened and confused.
[quote="kingnothing997" post="6.164931.4345129"]
The series did a very good job of explaining everything, a lot of it was just subtle. The answers shouldn't always be right in your face. People should have to think a little. That's the point. Everything was really clear, you just need to pay attention.

I'm pretty sure I paid attention. I watched every episode. I'd watch it again to get the feel of what's going on, but I really don't want to subject myself to that. If you like it, that's fine, but don't tell me I just don't "get it". Also I have a pretty hard time buying that Zelda goes from helping and kissing Ganon, to trying to stop him. That just makes no sense.

She wanted the power. She regretted what she was doing, as referenced by the tear dropping down her face after the kiss. Link promising to rebuild Hyrule with her snapped her to her senses.

But that's what seemed like it to me. (Ack, That was horrible grammar.)
But you've made it quite obvious you don't feel like listening or being reasonable so I'm wasting my time, aren't I?

Grand finale guys, better than I could have expected, especially with a limited budget! I have no more than very minor complaints which are inconsequential or already listed amongst the griped.

...Bravo...One of my favorite series on the escapist.

Am I the only one who feels the finale wasn't that great? I know I'm probably going to get slaugthered by all the TTWB fanboys/fangirls, but quite honestly I thought it was average at best. With so much going on I felt this would have benefitted more from having one more episode (splitting this into a two-parter). It would've given them a chance to expand on somethings, and would've made the episode not feel so rushed.

From the Brawl between Mario and Wario's gangs, to Luigi confronting Ganon, to Game and Watch combining into the Octopus thingy, to Ness and Lucas been revealed as the killers, to Kirby's return etc...; so much was going on in such a short time it felt like I was been dragged around the story rather than led around which is what I should've felt.

Some things I would have liked lengthened:

1.) The fight between the heroes and Ness and Lucas. Seriously that lasted what? five seconds?

2.) The fight between Link and Ganondorf. I was a little perplexed as to why they decided to bring him back just so he could get killed off five minutes later.

Oh yeah... I really hate it when things are ended on a cliffhanger when there is not going to be a sequel. I understand that sometimes not everything needs to be wrapped up, but that ending just screamed "Yes guys, we are going to be making a sequel". To find out this is not the case just leaves me feeling disappointed.

Alright just so everyone doesn't yell at me I'll leave this post with a list of things I actually liked:

1.) Leaf confronting Wario, and using Jigglypuff to kill him. I wish she had gotten a bit more screentime in this series, but I understand she was a side character so I'm glad she got as much screentime as she did.

2.) Marth and Fox teaming up to fight the Ice Climbers. I honestly thought Marth was gone after Ike had died, so it was definitely nice to see him back again.

3.) Peach actually turning up dead. I know we all wanted her to be alright, but I would have probably scratched my head if she had been. The butcher had had more than enough time to kill her so it would have been unrealistic if they hadn't.

4.) Ganon. I think he really shone in this episode. I got the feeling he was hurting over the loss of Hyrule, and he actually felt remorse over unleashing Ness and Lucas. Very nice.

The only thing left I can think to say is please make a sequel. You've left it on a cliffhanger so don't leave us hanging like that...

I cried at the end.

its odd. ive watched eavry episode, and i still have no idea how kirby fits into it all.

kirby appears, canibalizes pepole, eavryone is terrified.

mewtwo shows up, somehow stops kirby, starts up a psycic orphanige or something

kirby gets captured, held in perizion for awhile.

more murders appear, peach asks kirby for help due to him shairing a simmiler mind.

???

kirby some how winds up controling mewtwos insane psycic kids?

Okay, I enjoyed the series, but I have some questions: (And if these have been answered already, forgive me. I didn't have the patience to read through all 9 pages of forum.) What exactly happened here? I know that's a stupid question, but a lot of the important plot points were minute parts of the dialogue that were usually whispered or shouted incoherently for dramatic effect. I'm not quite sure I understand all the power relations and motivations behind everybody.

Gannondorf and Zelda seemed to have this thing for each other, but at then she renewed her thing with Link. But then, at the very end, Zelda and Gannondorf kiss. What was going on with them? Was "the butcher" promising to help rebuild Hyrule? Is that why Gannondorf was aiding "the butcher" and Ness and Lucas? How did Kirby control everything from his cell? What power did he have over Lucas and Ness? Why did Mewtwo create them in the first place? Did they really feed of the misery and bloodshed, or is it just metaphorical speak for "they get off to watching people suffer"? What the hell is with Olimar? Is he part of Kirby's plan, or just bat-shit crazy and going along with everything destructive to bring about the end of the world? Why are some of the citizens aiding Gannondorf in his upheaval of order? Or are they just panicked and scared and lashing out anyone who seems to threaten them? (i.e. Mario and friends) What was Lakitu's role in all of this?

And most importantly, is there going to be a sequel? I don't know what to think about that. I loved this, but sequels tend to just shit on the originals. Or are they just setting themselves up for when Nintendo releases Super Smash Bros. Cluster-Fuck of Cartoon Violence? Anyways, if someone will take time out of their lives to clear things up for me, I'd really appreciate it.

That whole time I was thinking... where the hell is metaknight? Where the hell is metaknight? YAY METAKNI....OH NO! lol
p.s. i kept watching the jiggly puff scene. Bandaged jiggly puff flying into action looks incredibly hilarious

Great series you guys! Definitely loved it!

The video keeps freezing at 1:29. Is anyone else having this problem?

Talcon:

Gunblade7303:
and what type of questions would you have?

You seem like the kind of person who wants to "debunk" my criticisms, which is lame, but whatever.

Here's more questions I have. Link was stabbed through the chest by Zelda.

Zelda kisses Ganon, then tries to stop him, then kisses him again. I know in this series she's bipolar, but that's just stupid.

That's not closure, that's hinting at a sequel. Half the time I felt like they were talking in generalizations, I could not get into the story, it just didn't come together for me.

The very fact I have these questions and that you need to explain it to me is telling the series didn't do well enough on it's own to answer the questions, regardless of what anyone says after the fact.

ok, in order, rewatch the ganon link fight again, look at link's right hand, he has the needle that he used on luigi a couple episodes back, which is maxim tomato, which heals all wounds.
the ganon zelda kiss was forced.

and the series was really good, just beacuse someone doesent get some of the things in the end, doesent mean it was bad, A lot of games and shows leave a lot in the air, and there still great.

A truly epic ending to a truly epic series. One question, though.
What exactly was Kirby meant to represent, in the larger sense, I mean?

Talcon:

Gunblade7303:

and the series was really good, just beacuse someone doesent get some of the things in the end, doesent mean it was bad, A lot of games and shows leave a lot in the air, and there still great.

When I have to go on an internet forum an inquire what happened, then it wasn't sort of artsy "how did it all end?" sort of way. It's bad story-telling. It was never explained how Kirby was killing people while he was in prison. All of this adds up to a so-so series with an ending that did not leave me satisfied. You can believe whatever you want, but to try to convince people that it is so great in the way you want me to see it, is just not going to happen. I believe it was poor, and no arguing is going to change that. That's the impression I received.

he wasent killing people in prison, if you watched all 10 episodes you would know that.

Talcon:

Gunblade7303:

When I have to go on an internet forum an inquire what happened, then it wasn't sort of artsy "how did it all end?" sort of way. It's bad story-telling. It was never explained how Kirby was killing people while he was in prison. All of this adds up to a so-so series with an ending that did not leave me satisfied. You can believe whatever you want, but to try to convince people that it is so great in the way you want me to see it, is just not going to happen. I believe it was poor, and no arguing is going to change that. That's the impression I received.

I'm not gonna try and convince you otherwise, but let me say this: you really haven't paid that much attention. A lot of people got pretty much everything you're griping about.

I'll answer two of your questions: Link had maxim tomato extract which is why he survived, and Kirby WASN'T killing people while in prison.

EDIT: Wait. You didn't know how Kirby escaped? Did you even WATCH Episodes 7-9?

I love the fact that it's Luigi that manages to save everyone in the end instead of Mario as usual. I mean, most online series have depicted the secondary heroes as the main heroes in their series, but this one went above and beyond.
The ending is a great mix of cliffhanger and satisfaction that the heroes won without the usual corny finish. The ending is particularly good because as a wise person once said, "A man should leave a party while it's ROARING."

Maur DL:
A question for Aktrez or Matt:

I was wondering, can you even sell DVDs? Wouldn't that go against the fair use clause because you'd be making a profit with copyrighted material?

I have this same question. It seems completely impossible to me. I understand that this is made up entirely of parody material but I'm not sure to what degree, and through which mediums, you are allowed to profit from it.

Great ending, I'm REALLY surprised that very few people know about Silence of the Lambs, and after I saw Kirby acting like Hannibal in the beginning, I just KNEW that you were gonna spoof the ending like that, so when I heard Samus talking about the phone call I pretty much died laughing.

I know that the ending isn't a surefire sign of a sequel, but I can still think of a couple of ways to follow the series up and even bringing back some characters or two. I mean, you have heart containers, maximum tomato extract, stopwatches and the Song of Time to reverse events, stock balls from the Subspace Emissary and maybe even some supernatural help from the master of the subspace himself. Perhaps he'll want to rearrange the events so he can put the brawlers to the test, or perhaps the arrangement of subspace portals could cause one of the remaining characters to fall into a parallel dimension or alternate time frame of sorts. I could also see the Ancient Minister getting involved and, hopefully, Giygas (ok a bit off topic with Brawl but I figured it was time for someone to bring this.... thing to life, and I feel like you guys nailed that down with that butcher revelation scene)

If anything I would think a prequel would be more likely, but I think everyone's perfectly fine with the series remaining as it is. Its up to you whether or not you want to start this up again, although truthfully it would be hard to top this masterpiece!

Shadowseraph:

Gannondorf and Zelda seemed to have this thing for each other, but at then she renewed her thing with Link. But then, at the very end, Zelda and Gannondorf kiss. What was going on with them? Was "the butcher" promising to help rebuild Hyrule? Is that why Gannondorf was aiding "the butcher" and Ness and Lucas? How did Kirby control everything from his cell? What power did he have over Lucas and Ness? Why did Mewtwo create them in the first place? Did they really feed of the misery and bloodshed, or is it just metaphorical speak for "they get off to watching people suffer"? What the hell is with Olimar? Is he part of Kirby's plan, or just bat-shit crazy and going along with everything destructive to bring about the end of the world? Why are some of the citizens aiding Gannondorf in his upheaval of order? Or are they just panicked and scared and lashing out anyone who seems to threaten them? (i.e. Mario and friends) What was Lakitu's role in all of this?

I'll do what I can.
- Zelda was very-much a fair weather lover at this point, falling in with Ganon or Link depending on who had the upper hand or who could elevate her to the most power. That last kiss, however, was forced (by Ganon).
- Ganon's motivation(s): He had the kids kill to remove the other Dons and appease the G-dubs. Also, when he saw what Lucas and Ness were, I think he figured there was no way to fight them or the evil they represented, so he did his best to survive.
- Kirby didn't really have that much control; only what he set up before being locked away. It was he who suggested to Mewtwo the training of a psychic army (we never met mewtwo, but he was probably a sadistic bastard, and who wouldn't want a band of psychic kids and feral Pokemon on his side to vie for power?); it was Mewtwo who trained the kids in thier psychic powers and "instilled them with sadism"; Ganon had them kill.
- Given that they're psychic, maybe they really can feed off of emotions and misery. Or maybe they're like the Ice Climbers.
- Olimar's just crazy. Completely nuts. Not planned, though certainly not an inconvenience for team Kirby.
- I think most of Ganondorf's followers more scared and angry and willing to do something to try and stay alive/take advantage of whatever they can. When all the heroes are gone (or drunk), they pick who they think'll come out on top.
- Lakitu brings us the news. Member of team Bowser, but we sees that he loses any control when Bowser goes out.

And most importantly, is there going to be a sequel?

Nope. It's done.

Shadowseraph:
Gannondorf and Zelda seemed to have this thing for each other, but at then she renewed her thing with Link. But then, at the very end, Zelda and Gannondorf kiss. What was going on with them?

Gannondorf promised to rebuild Hyrule if she was at his side, an offer she couldn't turn down. Then, at the end, Link manned up and said that he was willing to rebuild Hyrule with her as the hero he once was. So she turn on Gannondorf to be with her true love, Link.

Shadowseraph:
Was "the butcher" promising to help rebuild Hyrule? Is that why Gannondorf was aiding "the butcher" and Ness and Lucas?

No, "the butcher" was working with the demons (GW) and the demons came to Gannondorf for help so they could retake the kingdom, giving him power in exchange.

Shadowseraph:
How did Kirby control everything from his cell? What power did he have over Lucas and Ness?

Kirby didn't control anything from his cell. The pure source of evil that Kirby embodied is what drew the kids to him. They followed willingly.

Shadowseraph:
Why did Mewtwo create them in the first place? Did they really feed of the misery and bloodshed, or is it just metaphorical speak for "they get off to watching people suffer"?

Mewtwo didn't create them, he only found them and trained them. They are psychic, so they could feed off of it, but they don't fully explain it.

Shadowseraph:
What the hell is with Olimar? Is he part of Kirby's plan, or just bat-shit crazy and going along with everything destructive to bring about the end of the world? Why are some of the citizens aiding Gannondorf in his upheaval of order? Or are they just panicked and scared and lashing out anyone who seems to threaten them? (i.e. Mario and friends) What was Lakitu's role in all of this?

Olimar was the first guy the demons went to, but he wasn't good enough for what they needed. The citizen were scared or followed one of the fallen dons and needed to follow someone else. Lakitu was connected with the Koopas and had information the Mario Bros. needed, so that's how he got dragged into all of this.

Shadowseraph:
And most importantly, is there going to be a sequel? I don't know what to think about that. I loved this, but sequels tend to just shit on the originals. Or are they just setting themselves up for when Nintendo releases Super Smash Bros. Cluster-Fuck of Cartoon Violence? Anyways, if someone will take time out of their lives to clear things up for me, I'd really appreciate it.

They haven't said anything about a sequel, but personally, I would rather see a prequel about when Kirby first arrived and everything fell to hell.

Hope that helped

lotr rocks 0:

petey hunter:
Well written, though what happened to Samus's eye. the ending was good I'm asuming kirby's phone call was a joke. What was that thing on the nintendo building, some mutant octopus.

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Game and watch's Final Smash attack is to turn into an octopus and flying around owning everything with its tentacles. See the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sHFjNM3j2s

The octopus is also in some Nintendo games, I know there was one on my gameboy colour where you were mario trying to go under the sea to get to a chest and back and had to time it well to not get "stabbed"

zipzod:
Saw Avatar a few hours before watching this. Still can't decide which was more epic!

Same here man.

Donrad:
that was flippen awesome
you could have separated it into parts but this is perfectly fine.
im surprised the escapist didnt edit it and make it shorter like they do with unskippable.

You edit unskippable, you miss a few jokes, you edit something like this and important plot devices can go missing. ;)

TheEnglishman:
Did anyone think the fat fate of Link was really horrible? He was one of my favourite characters and for a character with an angel status, what they did must have been like stealing Wolverines adamantium.

He's essentially far weaker now, look at Dragonball Z, Gohan was the strongest ever, but he lost most of his strength because he stopped using it for a time, just like Link.

Some_Jackass:
Great ending but I gotta say, the whole Link battale was a little dumb, especially right after he says "I'm at full health." then dies. If he and Ganon had an actual battle in there it wouldve worked, but as it stands it seems like the scene was rushed through for the sake of a deadline.
Warrio too. After all that and a Jigglypuff gets him? No.

Otherwise it was all unadulterated badassness...

Wario is a weakling, all he does is try to pull strings in ways that suits him and hide behind his subordinates.

Talcon:

Gunblade7303:
he wasent killing people in prison, if you watched all 10 episodes you would know that.

Well, sorry, but I seem to have lost that point in the REALLY BAD SCRIPT.

Obvious troll is obvious, there's a difference between good critique (Most of Yahtzee's videos) and trolling. (Some of his)

Are you all really getting this serious in debating a film noir parody of super smash brothers?

Might I add that many of us thought this was meant to be a dark comedy and had never sought out to be taken seriously anyways, at least I hope the creators didn't mean for people to take it this seriously.

To quote MST3K:
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Amazing job!!! Can't wait to see what you guys do next:)

oh and I second that DVD request

laidtorest195:
wow wow wow! now thats what an internet movie series should be like... simply amazing
even with the eye patch samus was still a babe

You should see her dressed as Emma Frost :

Really really awesome, I just love the style of the series and how much effort was put into this.

God damn those kids were scary.

Brilliant and creepy. The Peach doll scared me.

Weird ending.

oh yeah that was awesome best 35 mins of my life

For those who didn't get the "old friend" at the ending, it was more and likely Masahiro Sakurai, who was not only the main director of the Super Smash Bros. series of games, including Brawl, but the creator of Kirby as well.

At least, that's what makes sense, since Kirby's at Nintendo, and it isn't Miyamoto since his head was apparently a Kirby snack, and the person that created him would certainly be "an old friend".

Outstanding, i applaud you.

http://www.smbmovie.com/SMBArchive/specials/script.htm

Everyone should read the "Fantasy" Script.

Skip to about 1/4 of the way through, the beginning starts off slow, but once you get to the part with the Plant Piranahs, and the giant Airship, you will wish this movie came out.

This is to those who complain about the lack of storytelling. The plot made every bit of sense. I know it hurts your pride to hear this, but you either weren't paying attention to detail, or you aren't capable of understanding subtlety. Sorry, I know you're mad, but it was all there regardless of how you feel. Inference is a very powerful tool.

Kirby made sense, he was a mastermind. Ness and Lucas are deranged psychic children trained by Mewtwo from the orphanage. Originally they were unleashed to appease Olimar's 'demons', or the proletariat of the Mushroom Kingdom (G&W is an allegory for the original residents being forced into labor positions). When Ness and Lucas continued the killing spree, Ganondorf lost control, but everything was working toward Kirby's plan (he knew they would get out of control). Kirby wants chaos, that is what his legacy will hold, and if he could cause chaos from behind bars, that just makes him happier. And that cliffhanger ending does not mean a sequel is necessary and it is excellent storytelling! It is a device used to tell you that the Mario Bros' job is never over, and that "to secure peace is to prepare for war."

Eh. I didn't think there was a lack of storytelling, but that the storytelling itself was mediocre and overdone, with the plot being pure drivel. It was ridiculous, trying to extract drama from a source that had none. I'm just glad this is over so that I don't have to hear anything more about this.

I wholeheartedly applaud the creators' effort and dedication that they have so clearly put into this, but I can't help but criticize the end product.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here