Escape to the Movies: Green Zone

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

wtf is wrong with the Bourne movies? They were awesome

Green zone was alright but nothing special

"Overrated" has never, and will never, be a legitimate critique of any work to me. It states nothing about the work, only how others view it. It's lazy and says nothing to me about the actual work. Was it (usually a numerical system) a 90 that has been called a 95? Or a 20 that has been called a 25 (by the mythical rating people that exist...somewhere I assume)

Anyways, on the US, do an experiment folks, watch the news, how much time do they spend talking about the other 95% of the world? Echo chamber of our self importance, thank goodness once again for the internet!

pearcinator:
Your discussion about America's arrogance just reminded me so much of why I want them to make SEVEN ANCIENT WONDERS (7 DEADLY WONDERS in the US...yeah, cos that what sells there), an action book by Australian author Matthew Reilly, into a crazy over-the-top action movie!

Movie Bob, If you havnt read any books by Matthew Reilly, I recommend '7 Deadly Wonders' because it is a book that puts a small team of 'good guys' which come from independent smaller countries (led by an Australian) in a race to find the golden capstone from the Pyramid of Giza against the 'bad guys' which is...the US and Europe (three-way struggle).

Its a full-on, over-the-top action book which reads like Indiana Jones on crack! That is, lots of big booby-trap-filled chambers, car chases and shooting scenes. I want them to make a big-budget movie from it but the problem is that only America has the resources for what I think would require a budget of up to $200 Million and America doesnt want to make a movie that shows the dark-side of being the only superpower left in the world.

Matthew Reilly novels are so bad they're good. I'd only watch a film interpretation if they diliberately did it in the style of an 80s action movie. It wouldn't work any other way.

Everyone is getting on the "America is arrogant" train, but really the rest of the World is at least as arrogant. Most countries sit there, chuckling about how they are nowhere near as audaciously patriotic as that naive land where the eagles dare and the the mountains fly. It doesn't matter if you're French or British or Australian or whatever - there is always that a smug sense of superiority when it comes to judging Americans.

maninahat:

pearcinator:
Your discussion about America's arrogance just reminded me so much of why I want them to make SEVEN ANCIENT WONDERS (7 DEADLY WONDERS in the US...yeah, cos that what sells there), an action book by Australian author Matthew Reilly, into a crazy over-the-top action movie!

Movie Bob, If you havnt read any books by Matthew Reilly, I recommend '7 Deadly Wonders' because it is a book that puts a small team of 'good guys' which come from independent smaller countries (led by an Australian) in a race to find the golden capstone from the Pyramid of Giza against the 'bad guys' which is...the US and Europe (three-way struggle).

Its a full-on, over-the-top action book which reads like Indiana Jones on crack! That is, lots of big booby-trap-filled chambers, car chases and shooting scenes. I want them to make a big-budget movie from it but the problem is that only America has the resources for what I think would require a budget of up to $200 Million and America doesnt want to make a movie that shows the dark-side of being the only superpower left in the world.

Matthew Reilly novels are so bad they're good. I'd only watch a film interpretation if they diliberately did it in the style of an 80s action movie. It wouldn't work any other way.

Everyone is getting on the "America is arrogant" train, but really the rest of the World is at least as arrogant. Most countries sit there, chuckling about how they are nowhere near as audaciously patriotic as that naive land where the eagles dare and the the mountains fly. It doesn't matter if you're French or British or Australian or whatever - there is always that a smug sense of superiority when it comes to judging Americans.

Exactly! I want them to bring back the action movies of the 80's! Transformers sucks balls! Action movies should be all about over-the-top stunts and scenes that make youu laugh because its so unbelievable! Michael Bay keeps trying to add comedy in his movies and thats what kills them (except for the fact that his action scenes are just poorly shot).

Wanna know the best modern action movies??? Die Hard 4, Rambo 4 and 2012. Why? Because they do what they are supposed to do, be entertaining and completely silly! The action movies that suck are the ones that take themselves seriously. Bring on Matthew Reilly movies!!

Shadow-Fox:
Yeah, Jazz, Baseball and Corn Dogs . . .
I wouldn't miss any of 'em if they suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth.
That all you got?

and ice cream cones....

(Insert name hear):

Shadow-Fox:
I wouldn't miss any of 'em if they suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth.
That all you got?

and ice cream cones....

As I recall, Ice Cream was brought to Italy from Marco Polo (long before America was rediscovered by Columbus). The cones themselves were invented by England.

So, yeah. It's still just Corn Dogs.

Daystar Clarion:

duchaked:

Benjeezy:

Daystar Clarion:
Of course, by 'world', I just mean America.

Y'know, the AWESOME part of the world. XD

hahaha totally

I hope you were being as sarcastic as the guy you were quoting.

lol

nah, Texas is where it's at

My thoughts are simply that we're churning out too much political trash media at the moment. I don't think we're going to see anything that seriously addresses this conflict for at least another ten or twenty years. Right now the media is very slanted, the left wing has power, and of course we're looking at a lot of productions based around that point of view being right. Interestingly, we have seen little, if anything, doing the same thing from the other side. In fact there has been great effort taken to prevent anything of a similar nature that might demonize Middle Easterners or make the conflict look like the right thing to do.

Arguably I feel when you look at things and take the left wing, and far right wing viewpoints you wind up with the truth being somewhere right in the middle.

That said, I don't think America is really arrogant. I think we're simply the world's dominant superpower, at a time when information spreads nearly instantly. To put things into perspective, a couple hundred years ago the Brits would have been sitting right where we are now. Everything that happened that mattered would indeed wind up revolving around them. The British Empire collapsed due to them pushing too far, too fast, and getting involved in too many fronts simultaneously. Just imagine how some of the things they were involved in would have been covered by today's liberal media. China, India, Africa, other European empires, The Brits had their fingers into all of them and what affected them was felt throughout the globe. Simply by pulling back when it couldn't maintain itself Britan caused a lot of things to happen. We simply maintain a similar position at the moment, albeit we are looking at a situation where we increasingly have rivals in the form of the Chinese and Russians.

Of course when it comes to things like this, the line between arrogance, and merely being realistic can be a fine one. Every nation dreams of being powerful, and relevent, and dealing with the dominant superpower one way or another can be sobering, as well as leading to resentment.

In the final equasion I think America's problem is in many cases that we aren't forceful and arrogant enough. We simply care too much about what other people might think (and fear being thought arrogant) that we don't act as strongly as we should when it's nessicary.

Such are my thoughts.

-

Also one minor point I will make (since I don't want to turn this into a major political rant) is that all of the liberal fantasies about "revealing the fact that the WMD stockpiles were a lie" miss the point that the US had no real intelligence assets at the time (we were idiots, and you can thank Clinton for it). We had no idea who attacked us at first. We didn't HAVE any deep and shadowdy CIA types pulling the strings. This is why there was so much discussion about rebuilding our intelligence assets and the like, and discussions about the possibility of a US "Intelligence Czar". People always seemed to assume that we had some movie-like super secret agency defending us, but the reality was that we didn't. We were almost totally dependant on foreign intelligence after 9/11 and were racing to rebuild our assets after they were gutted to save money. If we had the various shadowy "Cancer Man" types theorized in these movies 9/11 never would have happened in all likelyhood, with their presumed resources to make "The War On Terror" happen they would have had far more efficient methods of acheiving similar goals just by their existance. This is a "reality check" it would be nice if Hollywood got when it tries to make movies about this period. When we went looking for WMD at the time we had our advisors (like Britan) telling us that it was very bloody likely they were there, and that is a big part of WHY Britan and other close allies backed us, even against the UN.

It's also noteworthy that it was said (or so I remember) that the American People would probably never be aware of the full scope and/or results of this conflict. Oddly despite this, people seemed to get the impression that if we found WMD in The Middle East, the global press would be invited to a giant Jamboree to check them out first hand. Bush or someone would parade them around as a sort of "I was right" sign because of the politics.

The truth is we have no idea if they were found or not, just that our goverment currently says we didn't, which is what they would have said otherwise. Consider that great effort is made to hide stuff like that and ensure that nobody knows where WMD is at any given time. This is what things like "MX" type programs (placing ICBMS on trains that are always moving and not even the President knows where they are for sure) are all about. Heck, nobody confirms or denies what they actually have at any given moment. There was like 0% chance that for political justification someone was going to let the world know "hey you guys, we've got megatons of Iraqi nuclear weapons sitting right here, come see!". Rather if they were found they would have been quietly disappeared and never revealed. Not to mention what other deals might be involved since someone had to make/sell these things which was an issue to begin with... and well... as soon as they show them off to the world press, that means that someone was going to be in the hot seat. Let's say it was a nation like France (which was illrgally trading through oil for food), or China, or any one of a number of other nations... simply by outing that your looking at an international charlie foxtrot that has to be dealt with.

This got longer than I intended. The point being that the entire WMD angle pursued in books and movies is absolutly absurd, as are conspiricy theories involving intelligence assets that at the time were cut to the bone. Clinton was a big believer that we didn't NEED agents and spies and such because we had Satellites. People pointed out at the time that he was stupid because if you didn't have a man on the ground, you didn't have anything, but he didn't go for that. The bottom line is if we had Mr. "Secret Spy Lord Guy" with all this info and resources we wouldn't have had politicians publically going "OMG! who attacked us" and "OMG! we need to rebuild the CIA into a real force!"

I'm not sure if Bob is saying that Bourne is bad, so much that he got tired of Bourne. As in, its the same damn movie 3 times and it gets progressively more strained trying to keep the briarpatch going. Its not everyones thing, and some of the people who really did enjoy the first one, were kinda seeing the mold marks from the repetition by the third one. Which detracts from the enjoyment a little.

I think America's problem is in many cases that we aren't forceful and arrogant enough. We simply care too much about what other people might think (and fear being thought arrogant) that we don't act as strongly as we should when it's nessicary.

Your post has damn good points, but I couldn't help but find that little bit right there terrifying. :c

This was the first time I watched it.

I hate people who talk to website talent as if they're critics or something but I just want to say this...

Why it didn't work:
- You're not Yahtzee
- Yahtzee is now such an old trick that children would know him before they knew about hiding coins behind people's ears anyway.
- Your voice has to be *clearer* if you want a snappy quick-talk critique to not be confusing when images and writing are being played on screen - slurry American drawl doesn't fit the bill.
- Once more: Yahtzee/overly negative reviews, is/are old.

Other than that... I didn't plan on watching the movie anyway, but I did like the bourne trilogy quite alot (perhaps because I lived in most of the cities it was shot at one time or another)

And the Hurt Locker was, again, an average film. They were never going to kill the protagonist and his friends were always a safe distance away so none of the situations were remotely suspenseful, and the stupid side-story about him getting choked up over injustice and violence has been done a million times before.

My god you recommended 'Daybreakers' saying it was a nerdgasm n all this when it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Perhaps you didn't understand the setting of this film; 3-4 weeks into the war, the story is only focusing on Miller because I doubt a whole lot of US WMD investigators were racing into Iraq to find WMDs seeing as the country was still a mess and I'm sure there were other units doing the exact same thing Miller was but his story is the most interesting. It's not him vs. THE DEVIL as you're basically saying. He was becoming interested in his proper job and goals of the war rather than most other soldiers who just do as their told. You know, "rising above the call of duty".

And oh my christ, the Hurt locker?! I watched green zone on friday and hurt locker last night, and it was bollocks. Absolute crap. Totally unrealistic no military accuracy whatsoever (3 man unit travels Iraq ALONE disarming IEDs with no communication with their command, no backup then they meet the SAS IN THE DESERT AND THEY SAVE THE DAY?! WHAT!)

ARRRHH!!!

webchameleon:
Excellent review, MovieBob.

Allow me to let all you stinky foreigners ;) in on a little American secret: NOBODY thinks Saddam had nukes anymore. I'm placing bets it was an excuse by Bush and co. to bury ourselves in filth while we clean the Augean Stables of the new millennium for the next decade. Nobody's eyes have been opened. It was a brash move by an angry man in power against a dictator who'd tried it before. There's just no way Congress would have approved a military adventure under the proposition: "We want to fly half-way across the world to destroy--once and for all--an ideology that is almost mainstream with the civilian populace."

Anyone who followed the news from anywhere other than the mainstream American sources knew that the Bush administration was gunning for a war one way or another. They wouldn't let the inspectors finish their job, and when some of their strongest allies--nations who rallied to their side without hesitation after the 9/11 attacks, and who themselves knew the negative consequences of military imperialism from experience--wouldn't support their stupidly blind rush to war for no reason, they brought out that stupid "with us or against us rhetoric" when Iraq had nothing to do with Al-Qaeda (at the time--the invasion and occupation has since made it a terrorist stronghold). But if you had read up on the Project for a New American Century at the time and noted half its members were in the Bush cabinet, the rationale for war was pretty clear.

So I find the premise of this film insulting. There was no "conspiracy" to attack Iraq. The PNAC-stuffed government wanted a war, the mass media was more than happy to give it to them, the military was overconfident after initial successes in Afghanistan, any dissent even on rational grounds was immediately denounced as unpatriotic or even treasonous, and the skilled people in the State Department and other parts of government who might have actually known what they were doing during the occupation were marginalized by the political climate and instead, culturally-ignorant neo-conservative ideologues were sent to rebuild Iraq with unicorns and rainbows. But that'd be complicated to explain, right? So let's have a hero in fatigues and a villain in a suit represent the intricacies of geopolitics.

fullbleed:
Bourne was good alright and the first one, which also happens to be the best one, wasn't even directed by Paul Greengrass it was directed by Doug Liman. Frankly I'd take Greengrass shakey cam over Zach Snyder slow-mo.

Shaky-cam and gratuitous use of CGI is the reason all modern action movies suck.

Bob said "ultimately" in this about a dozen times. Was that a nod to The Bourne Ultimatum or something?

Anyway, haven't seen the movie yet, sounds okay in that the complaints seem to be about the film's obsession with its message or lack thereof rather than execution, so it goes into the "do not avoid" folder.

I find it interesting that this is labelled as a "leftist Rambo", I always thought a pretty left wing interpretation of the first movie was perfectly possible. It falls pretty neatly in the same redneck hate genre as Easy Rider (come to think of it, both movies have quite a lot in common).

RestamSalucard:

(Insert name hear):

Shadow-Fox:
That all you got?

and ice cream cones....

As I recall, Ice Cream was brought to Italy from Marco Polo (long before America was rediscovered by Columbus). The cones themselves were invented by England.

So, yeah. It's still just Corn Dogs.

Its better than nothing.

So this is one of those kinds of movies I really don't like, too simple to be interesting, not crazy enough to be entertaining.
Lame. Loved all the stuff about America, its all so true. lol

Once again Mr. Movie Bob, you are correct in all your points:
Aesthetical, technical and political. Not to forget self-analytical.

Good show.

I laughed, to be truthful, your outlook on the US will largely depend on how you were brought up and your awareness of our history and general motives for our actions and our expected reward for said actions.

I think all and all, the US has done pretty well considering human history and the tendency for the most powerful entity that exists at the time to completely destroy and suppress any other way of thinking. Let's keep things in perspective here before we go ragging on the US.

Daystar Clarion:

OWENR22:
Sorry to disappoint you Bob, but Baseball wasn't actually invented in America

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/7610016.stm

Ironically, the only sport invented by America, is basketball. Everything else is an adaptation.

yet it was not even invented by an american it was a Canadian born soo score one for Canada ( but we are too modest about it)

Let's say it was a nation like France (which was illrgally trading through oil for food), or China, or any one of a number of other nations... simply by outing that your looking at an international charlie foxtrot that has to be dealt with.

Interesting, but it couldn't have been France, simply because helping another country having its own bomb was unconcievable for any of the administrations that run France since De Gaulle. Plus, if it had been France, Germany or Russia for that matter, they would have shut the fuck up before the war hoping for the US to find and get rid of the nukes.

However, the country that made possible for Saddam Hussein to think at one point of becoming a nuclear power was France indeed, as it provided the nuclear civilian technology that was used in Iraq (But the chemical et biological weapons, which were the only WMD that Saddam at some point actually had, were taken elsewhere).

the military was overconfident after initial successes in Afghanistan

I suggest you take a look at Gen Shinseki hearings (They are probably on Youtube). The military wasn't nearly as overconfident as Rumsfeld and the political leaders were.

One thing seems funny, though, is how people tried to make a film to prove something that at least 3 major countries were saying before the war. Russia, Germany and France were against this war, and all they got for it was hatred ^^, whereas they were only thinking about the huge mess that a war in Iraq was going to be.

Another funny thing (which is going to be a lot less funny in a few years), is how Iraq seems to be paralysing the United States now, when it comes to react to a true nuclear build-up, this time in Iran.

anybody else getting the 404 error screen?

Good review. Wish I hadn't bothered seeing it now. It'll die soon, methinks. The Kingdom was still the best and most truthful war movie to come out of Hollywood in the past 7 years.

And to all of you pretentious whiners STILL complaining about how The Blind Side is ever so cliched...

Taking black children away from their families and culture to live with white Christian families and achieve something in life actually does occasionally work IRL. It worked for our current president, maybe it can work for inner-city types too! (Obama had it even better-a loyal Asian businessman stepfather for his formative years in Indonesia!)

(Protip: It can't. But you can't say why it can't for the same reason you can't publicly argue there are likely no WMDs in Iraq because Iraqis aren't smart enough to keep a nuclear program together. Publicly saying that the son of a white woman and a high-ranking member of the tall East African intelligentsia is likely to simply be smarter than the majority of inner-city American black people is like saying you want to kill all the Jews.)

But, since I'm already on the public record for being a sexist, I'll go ahead and be classified as a racist too.

I just saw Green Zone and enjoyed it, if only for the action scenes, the dialogue is a bit shaky, that whole "don't be naive" bit was a bit cringe-worthy.

I was expecting after watching this review that Damon's character would be a super soldier, but you make it out like he's taking on legions of bad guys while shot three times, I honestly didn't see him do anything out of the ordinary for a trained soldier, and certainly nothing less believable then anything in the Bourne films.

edit: Oh and I was pretty disappointed with the character development, in that there is none, you don't find out anything about any of the characters other than their names the whole film.

Overall though It was worth admission for a good time, 7.5/10 from me.

maybe it would be more fun if it were named "green HILL zone" (if anyone gets THAT joke)

Wait, was the use of a picture of Australian soldiers to represent the Vietnam War intentional?

It really does seem like America either fucks up big or wins big. The country seems to be constantly starved for attention.
...wonder if we need to throw Ritalin down Mount St. Helen or something...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here