Stolen Pixels #210: The Business Plan

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

My reboot would look something like this:

Resident Evil 6: Zombies vs Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator

It would take place on the Nostromo 100 years after the first Alien. The umbrella corp bought the ship and started using it to make zombies. Little did they know, there was already a face hugger on the ship. Within like a month the ship is divided like this: 40% zombies, 40% aliens, 20% cowering scientists. With all the shit going down a team of Predators show up to kick some ass, and a small time rift opens and drops of a team of terminators because in the distant future umbrella corp destroys Skynet.

The player takes a 5 man team consisting of Chris Redfield, Ellen Ripley, Alan "Dutch" Schaeffer, John Conner, and Darth Vader.

I dont really care how the story would play it, or even established cannon really, because it would just be bad ass.

What would you do with the Resident Evil story if Capcom asked you to handle the reboot?

Anyway, what would I do? For starters, I would reserve the right to preety much throw all past material in the dustbin, Umbrella Corporation and racist subtexts included. Then I would create a story that actually makes sense and characters that are, if not likeable, at least tolerable. And once the game ranks in millions beacuse of my excellent story, I would scrutinise Capcom for not having the sense of hiring a better game writer before.

Sure, that may sound easier said than done. But even with my limited writing skills and experience mostly stemming from Play-by-Post RPG's, I am preety certain I would be capable of writing a masterpiece compared to what the Resident Evil series has been producing so far.

Wait, I though Wesker wanted to spread Oroboros onto the world to cleanse it...? I suppose he could sell it, though.

If I was in charge of a reboot, that's exactly what I'd do; reboot the franchise from the inside out. Kill Wesker for good. Shut down Umbrella and never have them cause anything ever again. I'd strip the plot down and rebuild a new one. But I think the most important thing I'd do is re-introduce some actual survival horror. None of these Ganados, none of these motorcycle-riding mind control victims, none of these infinite ammo shotguns. We'd need a new villain, but I'm fine with some new faces.

It would be cool, trust me.

hey Wesker i will buy some zombie virus.Also thats the whole point if Umbrella just made phones or tvs you wouldnt need to go there and kill things.Also they would be no zombies to fight as the resident evil series is a zombie survival game.

So the only other thing that might work is the old goverment takes the virus and they take it across the country.Then something happens and it get unleashed on a poplace but that is even worse cliche than evil Corporation trying to make controlble monsters to sell to the highest bidder.

Umbrella isn't just about making zombies though, it makes all kinds of consumer products. Remember, supposedly 9 out of 10 homes have an umbrella corp product within.

However, for a reboot, I'd actually divest it of most of it's non-health care related operations. Keep it restricted to pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, and perhaps skin-creams/make-up for its consumer division. (need to keep it tied to the public somehow for better story).

Private operations of course still continue the research on the illegal bioweapons and super-soldiers

New slogan would be: You're Better With Us.

Reboot would remove Wesker and Team Bravo entirely, and may go so far as to remove STARS as a special tactics unit. You're just a cop sent to investigate because body parts have been found out by the mansion. You get there and the owner lets you know that this is a Really Bad Time and can you come back later. Of course, that doesn't fly, and while you're in questioning him and your partner looking around, he gets increasingly nervous until the lights go out, alarm klaxons sound, and an announcement of "Lockdown in progress" sealing you within the mansion as iron shutters and the like drop over the windows and doors. Thus the game starts and your only way out is through the secret labs beneath.

Over the course of the game you find out that the T-virus has amazing effects as a regenerative property, so they've been testing its use in super-soldiers through massive overdosing. Unfortunately, it turns out that this has Bad Effects. Makes them hyper-aggressive and kills them for one. Worse is that they keep coming after they're dead, and their bite now transmits a deadly form of the virus. You also find out that a lesser version of it has been in the new line of skin care products for months.. products that have had an amazing effect and as such are used by most of the world's elite. Naturally conversation trees run around "how could you use this crazy ass stuff in a makeup line?" and the response being along the lines of Why not? Botulism kills hundreds each years, and is now used by thousands to keep their foreheads unlined, etc. Also found information some researchers were concerned that even though the stuff in the makeup was low-dose, cumulative application may end up having the same effect. With the research and production facilities all being in this lab, the opportunity presents itself to destroy it so that it goes away -- so that becomes the mission.

However, near the end of the game, you come to find that further testing have shown that cumulative use doesn't seem to have bad effects, but *stopping* use does, as the degenerative effects continue to increase and its' only through continued application of the regenerative portion that it's held at bay. And you just destroyed the production facility.. oops. Now you need to get the last copy of the research out of here so that production can resume and buy time until a cure is found.

When you reach the surface however, you find that your various fighting down there caused some sort of damage, and the weaponized version was relased into the atmosphere of raccoon city... double oops.. setting it up for the nuke and the next game..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
That was hilarious! I was half expecting Wesker to do the Dr. Evil pinky finger thing when he was explaining his master plan there.

How would I handle the Resident Evil reboot?
I'd probably scale back the whole bit with the Umbrella Corporation to the point where they'd only be mentioned in the backstory to explain why there are zombies. Well you'll probably go to a lab or two, but you'll never have to sit through a long winded dialogue bit with an Umbrella Executive or anything.

If I were to reboot Resident Evil, I'd make Umbrella an innocuous biotech company who accidentally made the zombie virus when they were, let's say, trying to engineer a viral anti-neurodegenerative agent. Instead of curing Parkinson's, they've made a tenacious little bugger that turns people into mindless, cannibalistic berserkers, with an emphasis on tenacious. They thought they destroyed all traces of the thing in testing after the obvious bugs reared their brain-craving heads, but just enough got loose, and now Raccoon City (or wherever) has been bitchslapped by George Romero. So, what does Umbrella do? It admits its mistake and asks for help as it desperately tries to make a cure.

In short, I propose making the virus itself the main antagonist, giving it, endurance that makes a cockroach look like a hothouse orchid and a viable lifespan that makes a sequoia look like a mayfly with rapid aging syndrome, and casting Umbrella as an organization capable of saying mea culpa and who then works to correct its errors. More believable behavior by the corporate guys, an excuse for an IN SPACE spinoff, and better rationale for sequels in general. Thoughts?

im sure it's been mentioned, but too lazy to read

resident evil 4 was detached from umbrella corps entirely. there might be a couple more aswell ^^

I think if Resident Evil got a good script then people would still complain, "Where is the Resi I used to play!" etc.

It's not that Apple murdered few people, it's that they know who to murder. Efficiency over quantity, you know?

...Wait, Apple makes products?

I say have a simple plot that explains why the zombies are there. Then make the game play really fun, scary, and creative. Don't personally play resident evils for the plot, play it for the premise of capping monsters in a creepy environment.

If you want to do zombies and corporate evil, it is much more scary if you start with the corporation already in power, like they are now. Maybe it could take place sometime in the future, where corporations have amassed such power with their products that they have slowly infused the "common" population with additives or nanobots or something that have effectively turned those people into zombies. Maybe they have even caused physical changes, like making the people stronger and more resilient and resistant to pain so they can be better workers, and so they are inexpensive to maintain. They would be like worker bots but better. Worker bots require maintenance and a lot of expensive raw materials. But biological organisms maintain themselves. They reproduce very cheaply, and as long as you feed them some kind of nutrient slurry they keep on working for decades, and sometimes even a century. All you have to do is highjack their minds.

The game would probably involve the player as some sort of outsider, either a rebel or a freed zombie, who goes against this entire world. And once the people in charge see there is an intruder, they would broadcast some signal that would make all their zombies hostile towards you.

If you're willing to play with the traditional idea of 'zombie' and move away from the dirty and decaying corpse idea, you could come up with some pretty terrifying scenarios--imagine a "Prozac Zombie," a creature that has been chemically lobotomized and is now incapable of feeling anything other than a sick and unnatural happiness no matter what happens. You shoot it and it keeps smiling at you. You blow its arm off and it laughs like someone who just heard a funny joke. Imagine being beset upon by a hoard of people smiling like it's their wedding day and saying pleasant, neighborly things as they walk towards you and try to rip you apart. They are chemically unable to feel pain, fear, or anything unpleasant, and no matter how you kill them they die laughing and smiling. They would look like normal people except just a little bit off, and the world would be very neat and orderly, maybe no different than how it is today. It would be kind of the inverse of a Zombie Apocalypse--rather than destroying society, the zombies ARE society.

funny stuff.

But the point of Umbrella was not to be a successful business it was for shady science types to experiment however they want. Using the business as a cover, I doubt they really wanted to get rich off monsters but the zombie virus was originally suppose to be a super soldier serum which backfired so maybe there you can understand Umbrella trying to make profit.

Helmutye:
If you want to do zombies and corporate evil, it is much more scary if you start with the corporation already in power, like they are now. Maybe it could take place sometime in the future, where corporations have amassed such power with their products that they have slowly infused the "common" population with additives or nanobots or something that have effectively turned those people into zombies. Maybe they have even caused physical changes, like making the people stronger and more resilient and resistant to pain so they can be better workers, and so they are inexpensive to maintain. They would be like worker bots but better. Worker bots require maintenance and a lot of expensive raw materials. But biological organisms maintain themselves. They reproduce very cheaply, and as long as you feed them some kind of nutrient slurry they keep on working for decades, and sometimes even a century. All you have to do is highjack their minds.

The game would probably involve the player as some sort of outsider, either a rebel or a freed zombie, who goes against this entire world. And once the people in charge see there is an intruder, they would broadcast some signal that would make all their zombies hostile towards you.

If you're willing to play with the traditional idea of 'zombie' and move away from the dirty and decaying corpse idea, you could come up with some pretty terrifying scenarios--imagine a "Prozac Zombie," a creature that has been chemically lobotomized and is now incapable of feeling anything other than a sick and unnatural happiness no matter what happens. You shoot it and it keeps smiling at you. You blow its arm off and it laughs like someone who just heard a funny joke. Imagine being beset upon by a hoard of people smiling like it's their wedding day and saying pleasant, neighborly things as they walk towards you and try to rip you apart. They are chemically unable to feel pain, fear, or anything unpleasant, and no matter how you kill them they die laughing and smiling. They would look like normal people except just a little bit off, and the world would be very neat and orderly, maybe no different than how it is today. It would be kind of the inverse of a Zombie Apocalypse--rather than destroying society, the zombies ARE society.

I really like this good shit!

Nice comic, the last bit made me laugh.

And if I did the reboot, I'd replace Umbrella corporation with Generic Evil Corporation corporation, and the main characters would be the crew of a Tiger tank (along with said tank) who got teleported into the evil future, with the tank made scientifically (it's SCIENCE! after all) very durable with SCIENCE fuel that doesn't run out and a SCIENCE gun that can adapt to basically anything at all. Yes, it would be able to shoot refrigerators.
And in one level, you'd have to shoot down a Zeppelin full of evil Generic Evil Corporation corporation people, while storming through the evil countryside full of grass and trees at 80 mp/h, and since the zeppelin is SCIENCE! protected from outside damage caused by projectiles moving faster than a certain speed, you'd have to launch a huge fucking anchor at it (which would naturally go slow enough, because that's exactly what anchors do) tied to a rope, then your (rather elite) main character would epic-climb it to the zeppelin, where you'd fight the evil people and then slide down the anchor-rope , with the zeppelin (having been pimped out with bombs) exploding behind you in a blaze of awesome.
And the foot combat would be TPS, and the good type.
You'd probably get a landshark gun, too.

I actually think Resident Evil 4 was a reboot of sorts. Suddenly everything stupid that came before didn't matter as much, and the only tip-offs that there might have been a game beforehand came from the occasional run-ins with other characters such as Mia and Krauser. If they'd just forget everything that came before and continue with the Las Plagas stuff from RE4, and most importantly, Leon, I think RE6 would do really well.

Bloodstain:
I certainly would be interested in a zombie virus. :3

That makes two of us.

Remember kids, zombie is the new living !

I would reveal Chris Redfield to be the real head of Umbrella. Wait, that's not a reboot. I just hate Chris Redfield and would enjoy shooting him in the face.

Now lets be fair, the entire resident evil story hasnt been complete crap. Resident Evil 4 had a unique story (midget napolean ftw)and it was fun. They used old characters but it was fresh. But ya other then that its been crap.

poiumty:
Wow, people commented before Shamus even posted. Now that's some speed.

What would you do with the Resident Evil story if Capcom asked you to handle the reboot?

I'd make some better characters, for one. Like an intelligent zombie with cool powers, or a villain that you come to respect or empathize with.

Pretty much this idea for a new story

If I was handling the reboot I would make an epilogue to the previous series at the beginning of the new series (in which you are an employee of the umbrella corporation) and handwave it as a computer simulation of what would happen if the zombie virus ever did get out (as being screened to new employees, of which you are one). And then of course the virus does get out.

HAHAHA wow this one really made me laugh =D thanks for totally making my day...er, night (well okay it's technically morning)

I have an idea. Make the game a character driven story. Something small and personal. Imagine a man caught in the middle of a city. Zombies are everywhere. He's unarmed(to start) and unskilled. Maybe he's even a little bit of a wuss. The man desperately seeks his wife or girlfriend or whatever. She's on the other side of the city. As Jeff (let's call him Jeff) makes his way across the city, he comes across obstacles. He must deal with zombies, lickers, hunters, etc.

Jeff even needs to deal with other people. He could assist someone against a zombie attack, make a quick negotiation for supplies or even fight hostile or simply desperate people. Jeff's actions throughout the game determine how his character grows. He could become a badass, a raving lunatic or an even bigger wuss depending on the player's actions throughout the game.

Jeff's characterization and the amount of time it takes him to reach Natalie (let's call her Natalie) determines not only if she survives, but also shapes how she interacts with him. Did Jeff abandon others to save himself? Then Natalie berates him for his cowardly behavior. Did Jeff kill people in cold blood? Then Natalie reacts to the cold and violent man he has become. Did Jeff become the epitome of awesome morality? Well, then I guess Natalie loves him more, saving the relationship we learn was failing. If Jeff took too long, then maybe he just finds Natalie's lifeless body.

You don't need an obnoxious British prat as an antagonist. Nor do you need a faceless corporation to be a bad guy. You have ZOMBIES and our own shortcomings in the onslaught of disaster.

i have an idea, add some more good guys and then having both forces have major battles possibly. Also more in depth about the virus such as environmental effects and maybe having jungles and forests envelope you. Also maybe integrate fear back into the franchise with dark rooms and scenes that make you jump, re5 had none of those.

UberCharlie:
I have an idea. Make the game a character driven story. Something small and personal. Imagine a man caught in the middle of a city. Zombies are everywhere. He's unarmed(to start) and unskilled. Maybe he's even a little bit of a wuss. The man desperately seeks his wife or girlfriend or whatever. She's on the other side of the city. As Jeff (let's call him Jeff) makes his way across the city, he comes across obstacles. He must deal with zombies, lickers, hunters, etc.

Jeff even needs to deal with other people. He could assist someone against a zombie attack, make a quick negotiation for supplies or even fight hostile or simply desperate people. Jeff's actions throughout the game determine how his character grows. He could become a badass, a raving lunatic or an even bigger wuss depending on the player's actions throughout the game.

Jeff's characterization and the amount of time it takes him to reach Natalie (let's call her Natalie) determines not only if she survives, but also shapes how she interacts with him. Did Jeff abandon others to save himself? Then Natalie berates him for his cowardly behavior. Did Jeff kill people in cold blood? Then Natalie reacts to the cold and violent man he has become. Did Jeff become the epitome of awesome morality? Well, then I guess Natalie loves him more, saving the relationship we learn was failing. If Jeff took too long, then maybe he just finds Natalie's lifeless body.

You don't need an obnoxious British prat as an antagonist. Nor do you need a faceless corporation to be a bad guy. You have ZOMBIES and our own shortcomings in the onslaught of disaster.

i like everything besides having the game timed. People should be able to go their own pace without worrying about that.

What would I do?

More Las Plagas, less Umbrella.

More new villains, less old plotlines.

In other words: put less crap in, and assume that at least good ingredients will make a good product.

If Capcom can make Resident Evil 4 as good as it was while still mildly alluding to past games, then you can assume that without having to please fans, the next game could be excellent.

Though, they really need to employ a serious Western writer to revamp whatever crappy translations have come across during the series. Even in the RE1 remake back on the Gamecube, "LOOK OUT! IT'S A MONSTERRRR" sounded not just camp or satisfyingly B-grade but extremely narmful.

It'd cost next to nothing in the large scheme of the game's budget, and they'd be saving so much money on copying the same damn engine again that they'd have no excuse not to hire some poor scribbler's skills.

End result: RE4, but with a good story. Watch it become Game of the Year.

Shoggoth2588:
If Apple weaponized the iPhone and iPod Touch, causing them to spray T-Virus into the users face than I would buy multiple.

But only if you hold it a different way.

Kapitan_Jack:

Shamus Young:
The Umbrella Corporation makes zombies and you kill them.

In the reboot, they should be an experience travel agency or something like that. You know, "For just $5999 you can shoot zombies all day! And for $100 more we'll throw in a minigun!"

That sounds like a good idea, instead Umbrella being a weapons dealer, they're a vacation resort(makes sense with a name like umbrella)! Also, it would make sense why all the characters are cardboard cutouts of badasses and have crappy dialogue, because they're all tourists!

Either that, or I'd introduce some new company that's trying to make something that extends life. You think it's the umbrella company, but the twist is that the umbrella company has a new boss and are trying to win back their image. Then the big big twist is that you've just been killing old people all the time with the final boss being Chris Redfield's Granny.

RE 4 had both the best story and best gameplay of the series. They could crib from "The Ruins" and "Splinter" and have plant based zombies. I don't think that has been done yet.

If I had to make the Resident Evil reboot. I'd make you fight zombies, on the moon.

Dasis:
I would rewrite a "to save the earth" route. It seems to me that the zombies only really eat people, although there are zombie dogs and some birds, those seem to be infected purposely and they seem to want to only eat humans. So there you go a crazy tree-hugger creates or steals the virus to build an army of people eating zombies that he uses to clear out people and let the land reclaim itself. The zombies of course are in a state of decay so there life span is short like maybe 10 years or something and of course this works for the crazy tree-hugger as he is looking for the destruction of all people. It is kind of a reversal of the slash and burn stuff used on the rain forest, this guy could also become a monster because he wishes to remove all humanity from him self. This is where I would start. Also on a fun note it might be interesting to build a story where people sympathize with the monster at some point. Make sure he makes some sense. Like I said this where I would start.

You should read Oryx and Crake. It's basically what you said except the virus is a non-zombie virus. And it's AWESOME.

DTWolfwood:
hahaha XD yes finally some1 asks "WHY THE FUCK IS UMBRELLA OBSESSED WITH MAKING ZOMBIES?!" XD

"Finally?" It's...not exactly a new question. >.>

Rebooting the series? Hm. Well, first thought off the top of my head: Umbrella Corp. finally gets shut down by not-insane governmental powers recognizing they're nuts in the brainmeats. Hazmat teams confiscating dangerous materials, shit goes south, virus unintentionally let loose in highly populated areas, etc.

We're not in the game yet. This would just be RE2 again.

Virus not contained in the city. Spreads across continent of infection. No Umbrella plot involved, no one trying to make a profit off of this, just bad situation getting worse by the day. Game itself takes place either during the panic-spread period or in the zombie apocalypse period that follows.

Basically I'm suggesting an RE sandbox of some kind, I guess. Given survival is the focus it'd probably have some kind of hunger/thirst/rest gauge to monitor forcing you to scrounge for supplies amid the chaos/in the dangerously deserted urban areas. Probably not much of a minigame/quest system involved given the context other than perhaps trying to rescue trapped/endangered persons (who you'd have to watch carefully for a while afterward to make sure they haven't been infected already) and I'm not sure what sort of end goal it'd have - maybe finding a way off whatever continent you're on in the hopes that it hasn't spread overseas already. But yeah, RE large (as in not just one city but beyond it - yeah, pipedream due to tech limits I'm sure, but hey, it's just an idea) sandbox survival game is a thought for a reboot.

I would create a game similar to Dr. Mario where you have to bend and twist mutagens to create zombies... it wouldn't be any good, but it couldn't be much worse then some of the puzzles I've had to solve in some of the games.

Reboot: Forget Giving Wesker (or any umbrella/Tricell/ Zombie virus making employee) any more dialogue than is needed. Make the game more focused on why we play resident evil games. the zombies. This means that were all too busy staring at the monsterous entities that wish to introduce their teeth to the finer parts of your ass, and NOT paying attention to the painfully written but HIGH -LARIOUS writing.

Hmm, a reboot.

Here's what I would go for.

Resident Evil 1 would be similar to the other game, at first. Two teams of FBI agents, chasing a dangerous, armed, escaped criminal. One team reports that the criminal is taking refuge in some abandoned mansion, and they're going in after him. They then go black.

The next team, which is only made up of five people, goes in much more cautiously, trying to find out what happened to Alpha Team. This team is made up of the same four folks from RE1, plus a guy I will dub Cannon Fodder. After the team enters the mansion, a lockdown is triggered. When Cannon Fodder tries to break it, he gets killed horribly. At this point, you get control of Chris or Jill, as traditional. Barry serves as 'shop', modifying weapons for you, and Wesker is your computer specialist. As such, they mostly rush from safe room to safe room as you clear paths for them. The players work their way towards the mansion's centre, as progressive lockdowns gradually close off the early areas of the game (cutscene triggered, not time-based).

In the end, it turns out that the first FBI team stumbled into Umbrella Corp research, freaked out, and released the T-Virus. Not being total idiots, Umbrella had everything under control up to then - no mistakes or dead locals until the cops blundered in and started shooting. The lockdown can't be overridden - the team is doomed. Wesker, however, got infected during the course of the game (rather than being an Umbrella plant). He freaks out as he realizes this, runs off, and tries to stop the progresses of the virus himself. Instead, he mutates into the Tyrant, and in his insanity tries to bust his way out of the building himself, killing Barry. At this point, the player has two choices:
1) Let him. If the player decides to let Wesker bust out, so that he or she can escape, the other team member freaks. The final battle is Jill vs. Chris.
2) Stop him. If the player decides to try and stop Wesker, she has a hell of a fight ahead of her. Wesker is deadly. The player has to chase him through the mansion as he busts through each lockdown layer, luring zombies to his location, where they fight him and give him some minor injuries, or laying traps. Finally, at the entrance of the mansion, the player enters combat directly, killing Wesker. The other team member provides backup from NPC land.

The game has two endings. The Bad Ending is really bad, and the Good ending is also bad.
BAD) Wesker escapes. The player rejoices, slipping out of the mansion as the Tyrant vanishes into the treeline. As you do, other creatures begin to arrive. The last shot of the game is the zombified remains of your murdered partner, eyes glowing, leaving towards the real world...
GOOD) Lockdown is saved. Chris and Jill settle down in the control room, knowing that they are doomed, but hoping that they've at least saved the world. They try to make contact with the outside world, holding out hope...

Cut. Two weeks later. A much larger, more heavily armed government squad is in the process of busting down the doors. The first two people enter the dark mansion, guns ready, flashlights sweeping the room. The last shot of the game is motion in the corner, and a terrifyingly fast zombie of the main character leaps out towards the team...

That last panel cracked me up. A friend and I theorized that Umbrella measures it's success in terms of misery, despair and zombies. They have quarterly reports and pie charts measuring exact percentages of these things. Just like any other office, a meeting and a powerpoint "You can see here we're still producing zombies at a steady rate, but we aren't hitting our quotas for misery and despair is dipping slightly too."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here