Unskippable: Front Mission Evolved Part 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3

As usual, great show.
And that introduction scene, could've been awesome if those mechs would've fought machines more complex than taxis and a revolving restaurant.
:-(

I don't want to know just how much the legs on those mechs mass to be able to plow straight through cars and buses on a busy street with zero impact. I know, I know... realism in anime.

As to the debate about human-style weapons on giant walking mechanical beasties... well, it's a time-honored internet argument that won't go anywhere until people actually try building it. Oh wait, they have, and we know full well the whole concept is silly.

It does make some sense, though. Mechs are designed to be as human as possible, partially because that's how we've thought of war for so long (it brings back romanticized ideas of individual warriors in armor, like knights or samurai). Ignore the fact that having legs gives them a huge weakness and the large profile on the horizon makes them immense targets (the idea that legs would give them greater mobility is demonstrably untrue, and is made clear by the fact that so many mech designers add wheels to the feet). We also know that hands are really lousy platforms for weapons. This is why you snug a rifle up to your shoulder: to attach it to your body mass and skeletal structure. Rapid interchangability is much less important than accuracy when you're designing a vehicle. Modern military vehicles are capable of "rapid" changes in weapons load-outs (because versatility is important), but that "rapid" is relative: it still has to be done by technicians back at base. Tanks don't have hands because they don't need to cradle babies or gather food (they have humans for that).

Anyway, those are just my opinions on mechs. I love them, but as a concept, they are completely ridiculous.

lolmynamewastaken:
Give the scottish mechs and they'll try and have be too busy trying to fight them to figure out how to work them.

Seriously? This should have been obvious: HUGE CABER TOSSING! Just imagine the size logs you could hoist with one of those things, and the distances possible! Now, mechs doing folk-dances... that's terrifying!

psivamp:

JonnWood:
I like how the long-range anti-mech missiles just sit there, pointed at the invading mecha, not firing, in range of the invaders' weapons. Hollywood Tactics strike again!

They probably hit the staging area and those vehicles are not occupied. I just assumed that this was a sneak attack and, not being at an alert status, the anti-mech tanks and defending mechs weren't warmed up or occupied.

Which is weird, because we see, what, five guys in that area? The other mechs had time to start blowing up skyscrapers, but the military can only get a handful of their mechs (and CHOPPAS) up? Mechs which they repair on gantries closer to the water than the actual missiles? You don't put that sort of thing in the middle of a potential field of fire.

And then there's the whole "supertanker packed chock-full o' missiles" thing. I assume it was technically in int'l waters. In fact, the entire invasion force is laughably small, compared to bringing an entire nation's might to bear on them.

Then again, we're talking about a genre that regularly neglects such trifles as pilot helmets and restraints.

JonnWood:

psivamp:

JonnWood:
I like how the long-range anti-mech missiles just sit there, pointed at the invading mecha, not firing, in range of the invaders' weapons. Hollywood Tactics strike again!

They probably hit the staging area and those vehicles are not occupied. I just assumed that this was a sneak attack and, not being at an alert status, the anti-mech tanks and defending mechs weren't warmed up or occupied.

Which is weird, because we see, what, five guys in that area? The other mechs had time to start blowing up skyscrapers, but the military can only get a handful of their mechs (and CHOPPAS) up? Mechs which they repair on gantries closer to the water than the actual missiles? You don't put that sort of thing in the middle of a potential field of fire.

And then there's the whole "supertanker packed chock-full o' missiles" thing. I assume it was technically in int'l waters. In fact, the entire invasion force is laughably small, compared to bringing an entire nation's might to bear on them.

Then again, we're talking about a genre that regularly neglects such trifles as pilot helmets and restraints.

Oh, yeah, no doubt the rest of the situation is laughably retarded. I'm just saying that the one tiny detail of those vehicles doing nothing is explainable. Basically the only way to get hit like that is to either have your radar and early alert systems knocked out -- which puts you in an alert status just in case -- or you see the blips on the radar but for some reason no one believes that it's the enemy (Pearl Harbor).

This cutscene doesn't seem like it finished, is there another part coming?

Oh man, someone's comment just made me realize this is the sequel to that awesome SNES game! I should go play that again.

Well, since the mechs aren't walking, and they don't appear to be German, walking panzers doesn't seem to be the most appropriate name. Skating tanks would be better.

Mad Hamish:
Well, since the mechs aren't walking, and they don't appear to be German, walking panzers doesn't seem to be the most appropriate name. Skating tanks would be better.

Im pretty sure those things have been invented by Germans in these games. Which explains the name. Weird thing about the Japanese, much of the fictional technology in Animes, Mangas and Videogames has been invented by Germans.
But the very idea that anyone over here is involved in research that could lead to giant humanoid death-machines is, of course, false and everybody who propagates such silly lies will be dealt with.

Okay, I keep seeing the 'American's love protecting the fatherland' comments and can't help but say:

Enough is enough.

The majority of younger Americans despise our country and believe it needs a good face slap.

A next generation Boston Tea Party is needed, and we realize this.

Our patriotism died around the time we were screwed over by our president and sent to a dead end warzone over misinformation.

On topic:

I've always liked Front Mission. I'm gonna run through it again.

TheAmazingHobo:

Mad Hamish:

Im pretty sure those things have been invented by Germans in these games. Which explains the name. Weird thing about the Japanese, much of the fictional technology in Animes, Mangas and Videogames has been invented by Germans.
But the very idea that anyone over here is involved in research that could lead to giant humanoid death-machines is, of course, false and everybody who propagates such silly lies will be dealt with.

Actually, what I meant was that since "wanzer" is from "walking panzer", what does word does "skating tank" make? :)

Mad Hamish:

Actually, what I meant was that since "wanzer" is from "walking panzer", what does word does "skating tank" make? :)

Well, assuming the rules for composition are consistent, a "skating tank" would be a Skank. So I dont see what your point is, as that is a perfectly nor.... ohhhhhh.

Actually, It's fully German: "Wanderung Panzer", shortened to "Wanzer", and best said with the Accent (like it was "Vaunzer").

The Skating thing was started in Mobile Suit Gundam (which was the first Real Robot (mechs as military hardware) show, so it's been around pretty much since day one.

It was introduced by the MS-09 Dom, which uses jets hidden in the leg and skirt armor to skate around at high speeds.

The_ModeRazor:

flipsalty:

canadamus_prime:
You know what's another thing I don't get about the whole giant mech thing, what's the point of giving the giant mechs giant versions of ordinary firearms? You know like hand guns and shit? Wouldn't it make more sense to have their armaments built in to the chassis?

It's a good thing in terms of versatility, different load outs and such

You sir, obviously never came across a little game named Mechwarrior 4. Do so now. You might still be saved from damnation.

Also, the concept is to have the utility of a soldier with the firepower of a tank, (and perhaps the speed of a fast attack vehicle, hence the skating).

Yes, I have played Mechwarrior games.

The only anime I've seen that tried to depict Mecha in a realistic, and sensible, manner is Patlabor.
The mecha in Patlabor are called "Labors" because they were designed for large scaled manual labor, like construction and such, hence the name "Labor". It actually makes sense, and is a lot better than just pulling a name like "wanzer" out of one's butt.
They can't fly or skate around. One character even has a dream about her Labor being able to fly, and is made fun of it after see tells a co-worker about it because of how ridiculous it sounds.
The police and military Labors have "big versions of existing guns," but it's for the sake of keeping the dexterous hands so that they can perform other tasks besides shooting and blowing stuff up.

In other words, the mecha of Patlabor are there for more than just sake of "the rule of cool" and have actual practical purposes.

It's one of the reasons why Patlabor is an anime I can easily recommend to people. The other reasons being that the movies are good mystery stories and the series is funny as hell.

So, yeah the creators of this game could take a few ques from Mechwarrior and Patlabor.

See, wanzer has to go. I saw more skating then walking; let's call them sanzers. :p

Are they human? Or are they Danzers?

SAMAS:
Actually, It's fully German: "Wanderung Panzer", shortened to "Wanzer", and best said with the Accent (like it was "Vaunzer").

I'm German - and I don't approve this nonsense.
If you want to make it an actual German compositum, it would have to go like "Wanderpanzer" (we Germans have that tendency to build composita just by putting word after word after word - and it's all grammatically correct)

Anyway: Panzer is pronounced with a clean A (not your english A), as in the English words "bAr" or "cAlm" - the last syllable is pronounced with a sharp S like your English "CERtainly".

Boots Promotional Code
Bay Area Wine Tours

1:49 Star Wars blaster sound woo!

Alright... so every little explosion, without exception, rips up the concrete like its made of wet tp, yet the "wanzers" can still skate around all over the place on the perfectly glass smooth surfaces... hrm... give it a few more seconds of combat and see if its still probable...

...and the briefcase laptop!? Really?? ...haven't these guys noticed the smaller, lighter more portable laptops that everyone is carrying around town... does iPad and Xoom mean anything?

So what advantages does a big clunky mech have to say, a fighter craft with anti-gravity capababilities, which these mechs must have in order to skate around?

And you just had a few mechs and an anti-missile laser battery protecting your space elevator? Undercut your defenses much? The potential destructive consequences of destroying an anchored elevator leading to space stations in orbit is just beyond comprehension. Snap that thing and you've got several thousand tons of metal in free-fall over the earth; all of that metal is hanging in the atmosphere, and it doesn't matter how potent your orbiting space station's thrusters are, Earth's gravity is going to win.

Oh, and pseudo-German names! Take a shot!

Get off me you pesky Internet. I have a paper due tomorrow.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here