Unskippable: Dead Space 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

SecretNegative:
I thought Yahtzee was overreacting when he said that he first thing that happened was that a demon tore his own face of, but nope, that was really what happenned.

Heh, I know, right? When I saw that review, I went to youtube to check it out and it was every bit as ridiculous as he made it out to be. It was like his skin was made out of clay, and then after he transformed he starts screaming at the player as if to say "Be scared! Be scared, you FUCKER!!!" Made me laugh quite a bit.

Seriously, FUCK QTEs. I have no respect for any game with them. (Possible exception is ME2, but only because those QTEs weren't bullshit and didn't kill you.)

An that one is probably the most BS one I've ever seen. Seriously? It's got a hard-to-read static-y effect on it AND it spends half its time off the screen? FUCK. THAT.

Huh, i was kind of expecting an Age Gate on this one =D
After all, we wouldn't want any mothers to see this.

Graham seems to have lost his A button pressing skill.

I couldn't even make out what that prompt wanted you to DO. I sure hope it was easier to read on a full-sized screen.

Oddly enough, now I want to buy this game just to see what's supposed to happen next.

Why didn't you do the recap of Deadspace? More material, but I guess since this is unskippable and you actually have to say "yes, I want to see this form of Plot exposition," then I guess it doesn't matter.
I played through the introduction, and I survived it...barely...

Just 'cause I really like the Dead Space series... *ahem*:

Dr. Exposition is also Dr. Recap (probably a double major).

The necromorphs in the hospital aren't that hard to dodge, but it's much funnier their way.

The QTEs aren't half as hard to see or pull off in acutal gameplay, but...

...if they had survived past that point, there wouldn't have BEEN a stopping point. Issac's death was definitely the right way to go.

Personally, I'd like to see them "Let's Play!" this one.

canadamus_prime:
So what would that be the 8th time you died?

Goddamn it, you FUCKING NINJA!! >:O

OT: I actually like this game alot. It was unexpected seeing Paul and Graham riffing on this. The jack-O-lantern joke got me good though.

That quicktime event sucked. I think it took me three runs on the PC before it even came up above the edge of the screen enough for me to even see the button prompt. First two times I thought it was a DIAS timed run and I hadn't made it to the door in fast enough and then the third time I saw a flicker at the edge of the screen where the prompt was just out of sight.

That has to be one of the all time worst design decisions of at least the last decade.

Zachary Amaranth:

TheFederation:
i honestly could not see that quick time event

I could. It was, I think, a right stick prompt. But it happened so fast that if I was wrong, I would have totally lost the game at that point.

No, it was 'A', said so one the hologram thing on Isaacs back, but it was off screen for almost the entire thing.

triggrhappy94:
[quote="Zachary Amaranth" post="6.307082.12365681"]

No, it was 'A', said so one the hologram thing on Isaacs back, but it was off screen for almost the entire thing.

Well, I guess I really would have been boned then.

Birthe:
This was a really pointless cutscene...

It set up the background, introduced our lead's hallucinations, the fact that he's hardcore enough to headbutt an alien monster, and provided a general atmospheric sample of the game.

You do know it's okay to form your own opinions about these videos, right? Heck, our boys from Canadia even specifically pointed out where the therapist was dropping plot points.

and why did her eyes glow?

Hang on, let me break it down for you.
1. We meet Isaac's girlfriend, Nicole, via an archive of their video chat.
2. We see Nicole in the corner, right after we learn she's dead. She speaks, and the therapist does not seem to notice.
3. Nicole vanishes.
4. Nicole reappears, looking like a zombie, and approaches Isaac, eventually climbing onto the table.
4b. While this is going on, the therapist mentions how Isaac has been having hallucinations.
5. Nicole's eyes and mouth begin to glow.

So! What do you think is going on?

And I also wouldnt have seen this quicktime event

Then you would've died. And played it again.

I really don't understand the unilateral hate for QTEs. When they're executed badly, sure, but he are we supposed to have a horror game if there's no way for players to "struggle" out of situations just like that one. And then there's Arkham Asylum, which was actually praised for it's QTEs, except they weren't actually called that.

Ken Sapp:
That quicktime event sucked. I think it took me three runs on the PC before it even came up above the edge of the screen enough for me to even see the button prompt. First two times I thought it was a DIAS timed run and I hadn't made it to the door in fast enough and then the third time I saw a flicker at the edge of the screen where the prompt was just out of sight.

That has to be one of the all time worst design decisions of at least the last decade.

Yet every time I have seen a video of this sequence, on whatever platform, I've noticed it. Maybe because I'm not hopped up on adrenaline when I watch.

And THAT is exactly why and how I stopped playing that game. :D

No, seriously, it was the first time I played Dead Space. I watched the movie that explains the events of DS1 (Which I never played) and I patiently tried to understand the game. Then I was tossed into the game with that "Press L something to run". I died immediately.
Okay, no biggie, says naive I. I'll try again. And I did.
I got to that exact same part and that thing attacked me. I pressed everything and I tried to get away. Then I died.

Then I proceeded to play Assassin's Creed 2 instead and I promptly returned the game the very next day.

So fuck you, Dead Space 2. Fuck you with a mace.

EDIT: There were so many That's what she said opportunities after their failed attempt.

I love this series.

I'm a huge Dead Space fan. I'm literally thankful you guys reviewed this plus it was overall hilarious. However, it sucked hearing you guys quit all because you died :I .. then again, I wasn't expecting you guys to die.. was this actually the first review you've done where your character when playable died? Haha.. might as well be 'And that was the last time I died..'

P.S: That jack-O-lantern joke was by far the funniest thing said. Well done review.

If there was ever a game that needed the electric boogaloo title it was Infamous 2.

Oh my God, I laughed so much at the "Nope! Nope, nope" part!

Zakarath:
Seriously, FUCK QTEs. I have no respect for any game with them. (Possible exception is ME2, but only because those QTEs weren't bullshit and didn't kill you.)

An that one is probably the most BS one I've ever seen. Seriously? It's got a hard-to-read static-y effect on it AND it spends half its time off the screen? FUCK. THAT.

Dude, I'm finding it hard to think of one game that doesn't have a QTE in one form or another in this generation. Well I have no problems with them personally, but I'd agree in many cases they could simply do a cutscene showing the event instead of making you push a button just for the heck of it.

LOL, everything is so 'staticky' on Dead Space, they really should fix their virtual monitors.

I have to say my favorite episodes are when they actually play some of the game. I love the casual "ow!" when he got slashed. and the twist at the end of dying was pretty clever

JonnWood:

Birthe:
This was a really pointless cutscene...

It set up the background, introduced our lead's hallucinations, the fact that he's hardcore enough to headbutt an alien monster, and provided a general atmospheric sample of the game.

You do know it's okay to form your own opinions about these videos, right? Heck, our boys from Canadia even specifically pointed out where the therapist was dropping plot points.

and why did her eyes glow?

Hang on, let me break it down for you.
1. We meet Isaac's girlfriend, Nicole, via an archive of their video chat.
2. We see Nicole in the corner, right after we learn she's dead. She speaks, and the therapist does not seem to notice.
3. Nicole vanishes.
4. Nicole reappears, looking like a zombie, and approaches Isaac, eventually climbing onto the table.
4b. While this is going on, the therapist mentions how Isaac has been having hallucinations.
5. Nicole's eyes and mouth begin to glow.

So! What do you think is going on?

And I also wouldnt have seen this quicktime event

Then you would've died. And played it again.

I really don't understand the unilateral hate for QTEs. When they're executed badly, sure, but he are we supposed to have a horror game if there's no way for players to "struggle" out of situations just like that one. And then there's Arkham Asylum, which was actually praised for it's QTEs, except they weren't actually called that.

Thanks I do know that I can form my own opinion, ok but what I find here is personally that this cutscene mainly shows nothing much that you couldn't have in interactive gameplay already and I find there is better way to add action ten always push it to cutscene then suddenly quicktime event instead of having it as an actual action scene, but good to know that just because I agree and you disagree it obviously means that I only blindly agree to what they are saying, also basically only because they make this video doesn't actually mean they do find it that pointless.

My all time favourite oneliner comes from a british LP of this game:
*Isaac stares groggily at his dead girlfriend climbing on the table*
"Huh? Sorry Doc, I'm busy tripping balls here."

"I would NOT headbutt that thing"
Truer words have never been spoken.

GasparNolasco:

Zakarath:

Dude, I'm finding it hard to think of one game that doesn't have a QTE in one form or another in this generation. Well I have no problems with them personally, but I'd agree in many cases they could simply do a cutscene showing the event instead of making you push a button just for the heck of it.

LOL, everything is so 'staticky' on Dead Space, they really should fix their virtual monitors.

Well, I've managed to for the most part avoid them; the games they seem most prevalent in is the 3-rd person action games, and I stick mostly to RPGs, Strategy games, and FPSs, and I'm having trouble thinking of any game I have with them, apart from ME2 and Just Cause 2; and even in JC2 they were more of a minigame and didn't come out of nowhere in the middle of a cutscene.
(I also do most of my gaming on the PC, where they seem to not have caught on quite so much.)

therockdemon:
that was my first reacton to that quick time event to also does that cutscene hurt anyone eyes aswell

Mostly the eyes of the participants. I'm pretty sure spikes and lights aren't supposed to come out of them.

GasparNolasco:

Zakarath:

New Vegas.
Bad Company.
Amnesia: The Dark Decent.
Limbo.
From Dust.

JonnWood:

Ken Sapp:

Yet every time I have seen a video of this sequence, on whatever platform, I've noticed it. Maybe because I'm not hopped up on adrenaline when I watch.

Who said anything about adrenaline, the game had done nothing to inspire an adrenaline rush in me. And no matter how hyped up, I have never failed to see a QTE prompt although I might miss which button it was telling me to push. The problem is that most games tend to put them in a static screen position, but DS2 made it relative to the character and if you are pushing the camera the wrong way you won't see it. I am not the only one to experience that; although I am most likely on the fringe in that it wasn't visible at all on my playthrough. Or it could have been a glitch, who knows?

Wow, that quick time (AKA the die horribly and restart at the last save point ) stuff is just awful. If they absolutely had to put it in the game, it should be a big flashing red button in the middle of the screen, instead of tiny green icon somewhere off to the side.

Seriously, how do you mess up something so basic? It's horror 101, people are hard wired to be scared by big flashing red buttons. When you expect them to react to some small minty green thing, they just get confused or pissed off.

Meh, this one wasn't as funny as the others, maybe because I've seen it done before and done better.

Panzervaughn:
After all, we wouldn't want any mothers to see this.

My mother might not want me to play this game... but she LOVES it!

Kidding aside, I kinda agree on the age gate. I hadn't seen this scene before (never played the game). And it kinda took me off guard. I'm pretty sure it would have been a bit much for younger children to see.

I'm so very very tired...that gave me a headache with the shaking static stuff and then the bright light in our eyes. I'm glad that guy got eaten or transformed or whatever! It reminds me of this game called "Crimson Tears." Anyway, really, REALLY great episode! "She's really dead" and all of that just got me, hehe :D

Wriggle Wyrm:
Seriously, how do you mess up something so basic? It's horror 101, people are hard wired to be scared by big flashing red buttons. When you expect them to react to some small minty green thing, they just get confused or pissed off.

And shouldn't the developer expect people's attention to be on the horrible monster than jumped on the player, and not some little green bauble off to the side? I never even saw it.

I really hate sequences like that. A gauntlet of monsters running after you, and you know you're going to be fine because the developers didn't give you any weapons, so you're fully aware they designed it so the monsters would never catch you if you just keep running.

How am I supposed to be afraid when I know there's nothing to fear?

I wish I had seen this before I purchased this stupid game on STEAM. I die exactly how this video shows, and I can't get past it. Worthless console port (like all console ports).

kinapuffar:
I really hate sequences like that. A gauntlet of monsters running after you, and you know you're going to be fine because the developers didn't give you any weapons, so you're fully aware they designed it so the monsters would never catch you if you just keep running.

How am I supposed to be afraid when I know there's nothing to fear?

You can die in that sequence.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or