Zero Punctuation: Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Can you please stop with the spoilers? Or at least stop spoiling things before you give us a warning? I mean, luckily the ones you've done that for are ones I've already played or didn't care about but it's kind of annoying...

Other than that, I agree with you on the fact that they finally needed to stop with this sequel to a sequel nonsense because it really does seem like they're only doing it to squeeze out as much money as they can while not adding anything substantial.

My main issue with the game is how busy Ezio's pockets are getting. I tend to keep hitting the complete wrong buttons and never get to make the most out of anything. Of course, I get over it since you don't HAVE to use any of it.

I macrod the Hookblade, Medicine, Throwing Knives, and Vlad's sword, and I occasionally open up Ezio hammerspace pockets to use the poison darts and possibly money toss. Makes me feel good and vanilla. Though I do enjoy saving the Arrow Storm for when I feel sufficiently badass, it gets annoying when I'm trying to lock onto someone and keep hitting the call assassins button instead. I haven't even bothered with bombs at all.

I try my hardest to play stealthy, but the game keeps insisting that I run in guns blazing to everything, which pretty much sums up the Assassin's Creed series progression in general.

This is just my opinion, but Revelations really felt like an expansion than a sequel. That being said, I do like Constantinople, and the few new characters that were introduced (admittedly, I didn't play too far into the game). The one nitpick I have with it, and the same goes for Brotherhood, is that the game overdoes it with the side-content. I feel like a magpie, grasping out to the next shiny thing.

But that's not say the game doesn't limit itself: Do a few of these side-quests, but you have to do a story quest to continue further. The bomb-crafting didn't feel like an important addition, since I just stuck to using the smoke and distraction bombs. I got far enough into the game to where I can just call for an aerial arrow-strike. And that tower-defense thing is really dumb, if you ask me.

Did anyone else find the redesign to Desmond jarring?

kickassfrog:
When are Ubisoft going to make an assassin's creed in victorian london, where you play jack the ripper, and frame people for crimes so they get deported to australia.
Also, steampunk technology would be pretty fun.

Ouch! I know I like to suggest the Assassins are evil but that takes the biscuit

I sort of like Assassins Creed but it is getting way to many I've hardly finished AC 2... but it seems to get staler by the new one coming out.. but I can see how he calls it half games...

But funny as always..
Not the new design though I'm still trying to survive all the bloody white....

Edit: Yea I would like them to make AC in china/india/england/wherever but not the classic Renaissance places.. or atleast Paris ;-P

while i liked the game, i can see the lack of focus the game have and lack of polish, they basically tell you "ok there are bombs, you can craft them have fun" and while there are the piri reis i think was his name tutorial missions for the bombs, they felt more like "there is no way you can fail" kind of mission, not something to challenge the mastery over a new mechanic, and the tower defense game while i liked it, could use a lot of work to be honest to balance it out.

You know, I was hoping by the title (I never bothered watching trailers and gameplay and shit) that this would finally be the last assassin's creed game. While the framework and concept is great, the gamplay... decent for a AAA (standing around and waiting to counter isn't my idea of a good time) There was a lot of potential.
With the word "Revalations" (also used as the title for the last book in the bible, which Assassin's creed started off basing itself around[sort of, with the crusades]) One would think that it'd be at a decent length to end the Assassin's creed series...

Maybe it's because I've stopped bothering, knowing that Ubisoft is desperate for cash to keep up with all of the other mainstream crap coming out these days...

In fact I don't think I've seen a line drawn under ANY game intellectual property within the last four years! Someone end SOMETHING closure please!!

I enjoyed the not one, but two, They Might Be Giants references in that review.

And... I suppose I enjoyed the rest of it as well.

officially one of my favourite episodes, alongside Bioshock 2 and the first time he did Duke Nukem Forever

OhJohnNo:
I'm not surprised Yahtzee likes the series - it's very different to "the industry norm", and he always likes games for that. One wonders how much he exaggerates the bits he dislikes, though.

Well, that and the fact that the series bases its core mechanics on all the things he seems to praise the most: Platform sequences (and man, does he love Prince of Persia, a franchise that the AC engine was originally built for), open world environments ( one can't fail to notice the trend of him awarding Saints Row 2, Arkham Asylum, Red Dead redemption and Just Cause 2 so much praise), and stealth. All this, especially in AC2 was actually wrapped around pretty nicely in a pretty entertaining story that did a lot of things right.

That said, it's nice to see that Yahtzee is not the single voice clamoring out in regards to this game. There were plenty reviews pointing ouy the exact same flaws. Nothing inherently wrong with the gameplay but it's circular logic, I think: If you never played a AC game you might like the setting and the gameplay but feel completely left out in regards to what the fuck is going on. And if you DID play the previous ones, you're more likely just soldiering through for the story, because there's little else to offer.

I love the series, and even though the approach is very liberal, the historian in me likes all the little touches. It takes some knowledge in history to appreciate the Machiavelli subplot that goes on in Brotherhood ( to be sure, historians are divided as to whether "The Prince" is actually mocking Cesare Borgia rather than exhalting him), for example. But the aspect of me being able to actually predict the whole game just by the reviews that puts me off. Might get it when it comes half price, but familiarity is beginning to breed a bit of contempt.

I was eventually going to play Assassins Creed: Brotherhood probably around Christmas time since I would be getting it then, but I probably have to take it off my list now because you spoiled the ending Yahtzee. Mm... look, you're amazing dude. I really like your videos, you're hilarious too but please say spoiler alert beforehand. It's like as if you didn't care to spoil anything and flat out told us before my mind could load up what I just heard. I get your humor, I do.. but like people who are waiting to get Skyrim due to waiting on patches/money cost, I was waiting on that game. Oh well... /rant.

OT: This was a neat review. Sort of sad to hear that they're bringing the series to the ground yet at least they're trying to make the kills more entertaining. As for the mini-game, I personally don't see that applying (or contributing) to the game overall. It's pretty much meant to be taken seriously with assassination attempts for the greater purpose, I don't see how holding up a fortress and hiring people to nuke invaders count but not for me to say really.

ProfessorLayton:
Can you please stop with the spoilers? Or at least stop spoiling things before you give us a warning? I mean, luckily the ones you've done that for are ones I've already played or didn't care about but it's kind of annoying...

Personally, I find it more annoying that people get bent out of shape because someone who, while discussing a sequel, refers to incidents that occurred in its sequential and chronological predecessor(s). It'd be like getting upset at someone talking about Aliens while mentioning that Ridley was the sole survivor of Alien (whoops!). Unless Yahtzee is supposed to talk only about the mechanics in a (partly) story-driven game, which is anything but how a Zero Punctuation episode operates, it seems pointless to assume that the PREVIOUS game's plot points are a secret in the discussion of a current one. If you'll notice, he really doesn't give much away about the story in Revelations itself. What more do people want from him?

Want a technical, spoiler-free review? Read an IGN one. But wait. People hate those... probably has something to do with how vague they are and how little is actually said, as opposed to how much.

You didn't mention that you play as Altair.

But... That doesn't matter because the game wasn't very good.

Let's see MORE assassins, Ubisoft! Ezio was cool, Altair was kinda cool, but we need more characters. Let's delve into some random assassin circa year 0, or how about 1920's Chicago? Or how about modern-day? Or... SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES THESE TWO.

Game 1: Altair
Game 2: Ezio
Game 3: Ezio again
Game 4: Ezio with special guest appearance by Altair.
SOMETHING ELSE. ANYTHING.

The European:
Well thanks alot for the Brotherhood spoiler, For the love of god say spoiler alert BEFORE the spoiler not after it.

Brotherhood's been out for over a year now. If you still haven't got it you can't really blame people for being blaze about spoilers at this stage.

While I absolutely love Assassin's Creed (2 is my favorite game of all time), and overall I still liked Revelations, Ubisoft definitely needs to start taking a 'less is more' approach to the next game (oh, and have a break year this time. While Brotherhood was brilliant this game was rushed in places and it shows). It's partially our fault. People bitched so hard about lack of variety in the first game that for every game from then on the number one priority was 'MOAR SIDEQUESTS!' But now I'm itching for some focus back. As for the story, I did kinda dig the whole 'Ezio getting older, tired of fighting, one last personal journey before he lays his demons to rest for good' angle. However, it suffered by not really developing into having anything at stake until right at the end, and by not having a villain anywhere near as good as Rodrigo or Cesare Borgia.

While in my opinion the core gameplay and cast were enough to still make me glad I bought the game, but I think someone at Ubisoft needs a slap round the head and to have it explained to them just why AC2 is still the best in the series by a mile.

themutantlizard:
i hope they do an Assasins creed game in the future starring Desmond. if it had some elements of Hitman it could be good

I think thats the general idea for the next game, as it's the conclusion of Desmond's story.

OT great review as always

MichaelMaverick:
So how about that Serious Sam 3: BFE? Surely you must've finished it by now, if you weren't able to do so for this episode. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it, especially considering you weren't overly optimistic a while ago.

He needs to write that review too before he can record and upload it, you know :P

OT: This game's been laying in my back log since the 15 of November. Got done with my last final today so maybe it's time i picked it up. That or finish Shadow of the Colossus... decisions, decisions.

Yahtzee hit the nail on the head with this game. None of this was exaggerated criticism like many of his reviews are. This was spot on exactly my opinion of this game. Now when people ask me why I don't like this game, I can just link this video. *stands up and claps*

putowtin:

themutantlizard:
i hope they do an Assasins creed game in the future starring Desmond. if it had some elements of Hitman it could be good

I think thats the general idea for the next game, as it's the conclusion of Desmond's story.

Wasn't that the plan after II? I'm not very well-acquainted with the series beyond Yahtzee's reviews (and the occasional other reviews and descriptions I've read), but I get the impression that the developers saw how much money the series was raking in and decided to take a detour before they wrap up what was meant to be a trilogy and have to go back to the drawing board with a new franchise. Though why they decided to keep focusing on Ezio instead of just working more protagonists (I would add "and settings" here but apparently they did do that at least) into the mix is beyond me. Especially when they seem to be so eager to incorporate more modern weaponry into the series.

Can't help but agree that they need to move on but, like him, I do enjoy it I just feel its more of the same.

Funny review as usual!

Having never gotten around to playing any of the Assassin's Creed games yet, I'd just like to say that the "dragging their feet like a leper with length of rope" line is officially replacing the "breaks flow" line from Burnout Paradise as my favourite Yahtzee metaphor.

I'm surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention the Desmond's Journal segments OR Shahkulu. Come on! Shahkulu was the best part of the entire game.

Played the game for just over 3 hours then had to uninstall it. Was my first AC game and was shocked at how bad it was after all the praise through the years. Its no wonder Ubisoft is losing so many sales on PC.

From Dust
M&MH6
Anno 2070
AC:R

Played all 4 of these this year from Ubisoft, and they all had major shortcomings. They simply do not make a good product for the PC and consumers are showing them that. When will they learn.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
I can't help but feel my like for the games is being exploited for coin

BINGO! The big publishers aren't about making games like the devs of over a decade ago, they're about milking you for more money with as little work as possible. The first game had so much promise, but then devolved into the typical sequels and "social aspect" bandwagon, so you get ripped off.

Ubisoft ain't worth supporting anymore because they've turned pirates into robin hoods who turn off the always-on DRM

havnt seen the Video yet...

but I will say that (so far) I liked revelations WAY more than brotherhood...

but the real issue here is this "1 game a year" thing....

Magnicon:
Played the game for just over 3 hours then had to uninstall it. Was my first AC game and was shocked at how bad it was after all the praise through the years. Its no wonder Ubisoft is losing so many sales on PC.

From Dust
M&MH6
Anno 2070

Played all 4 of these this year from Ubisoft, and they all had major shortcomings. They simply do not make a good product for the PC and consumers are showing them that. When will they learn.

mabye you should have started with the first one...or at least AC2

or I would say that if you were complaining about not understanding whats going on..which your not so fair enough

Caramel Frappe:
I was eventually going to play Assassins Creed: Brotherhood probably around Christmas time since I would be getting it then, but I probably have to take it off my list now because you spoiled the ending Yahtzee. Mm... look, you're amazing dude. I really like your videos, you're hilarious too but please say spoiler alert beforehand. It's like as if you didn't care to spoil anything and flat out told us before my mind could load up what I just heard. I get your humor, I do.. but like people who are waiting to get Skyrim due to waiting on patches/money cost, I was waiting on that game. Oh well... /rant.

OT: This was a neat review. Sort of sad to hear that they're bringing the series to the ground yet at least they're trying to make the kills more entertaining. As for the mini-game, I personally don't see that applying (or contributing) to the game overall. It's pretty much meant to be taken seriously with assassination attempts for the greater purpose, I don't see how holding up a fortress and hiring people to nuke invaders count but not for me to say really.

oh come on..the ending wasnt the only reason to play it..there was...umm

ezios redicuous outfit?....hmmm

Zachary Amaranth:
I don't care what Yahztee says, Bejeweled's Creed would effin' rock!

I was thinking more along the lines of Hexic Creed or, Tetri-Creed. Bejeweled Creed would be pretty sweet though, especially after Templants v Zombsassins.

---

Looks like another entry I can safely skip. Too bad too, I genuinely liked the first one and can still have bits of fun with the second. Never bothered with Brotherhood though because who needs multi-player? As for Revelations, who needs Tower Defense? Sure it's skippable but it's still there.

Yay a fun review again! I doubt I'll play Ass Ass Revelations anytime soon, but it's nice to hear a little bit of that ol' fast-talking extended metaphor-making Yahtzee again.

Vault101:

Magnicon:

From Dust
M&MH6
Anno 2070

mabye you should have started with the first one...or at least AC2

or I would say that if you were complaining about not understanding whats going on..which your not so fair enough

No complaints about story. Seemed fine given I didn't know any previous stuff.

Simple matter of gameplay/feature quality. Seemed like there was plenty of potential. I rather enjoy those kinds of games. At this point I just think Ubisoft has been dialing it in for too long now.

If the next game was set during the French Revolution, would it work?

Glad that Yahtzee reviewed this one. I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan, and the points he brought up were both fair and funny.

I had all sorts of complaints about AC: Revelations while I was playing it - it was too similar to Brotherhood, the tower defenses weren't that much fun, and there was way too much stuff to spend money on, but it took a very long time for said money to accrue. At the end of the day, though, I still got over 30 hours of entertainment from it. As always, it had excellent controls, an intriguing story, and a few really breathtaking set pieces.

Would I necessarily want this every year? Nah, I'd rather that Ubisoft spend two years per game and really deliver a polished, refined experience. But if AC is destined to be a yearly cash cow, Ubisoft could really do a lot worse than Revelations.

Furthermore, I liked the Embers animation that came with the game. Does anyone else want to play as Shao Yun and kill Templars in China now?

Samus Aran but a man:
If the next game was set during the French Revolution, would it work?

interesting Idea but persoanlly I would find that too similar to AC2 and brotherhood

Step backwards in the series. Still interested in Ezio's conclusion as well as Altier's life, but really only thing I really found advanced was the hook blade. It was essentially like the gauntlet but you had zip lines and could evade those annoying soldier road blocks.

Bombs. were pointless because I found my self only make 3 basic types for the slots and most the time I didn't use it unless I was going for 100% sync. Tower defense was the stupidest idea they could've implemented. As Yahtzee stated you only have to do it once and I beat the game on normal with all my towers burning.

Though for future reference take note from Batman Arkham City, don't take away all our gear it's just annoying.

I really, really hate the stupid popup window

i still like the games a lot. the story is interesting and it explains more to the story of ezio and alta´r. but i do agree, it is pretty much the same, but at least a mechanic that works. but i sure do hope that part 3 (or how ever the next part will be called) will be in some way different.
adding new stuff does not mean its a new game. the bombs you can use, i never used them. i used the same old method as in every other AC game. it works just fine.

im not sure if he has played the xbox version or the pc version but at least the pc version has some glitches and minor bugs. some of the people just appear in front of you from nowhere and at times some of the roof guards were half way in the roof, that you could see only the top part of the body.
also if you try to achieve a full sync, this dint work either. one mission you had to sneak inside a compound without being detected. the full sync is not to kill anyone. i managed the mission successfully but it shows me 50% sync. i dint kill anyone, so wtf??

@ marshall honorof
i agree with you. the tower defenses were not much fun. i only had to do it twice bc i dint had enough fully trained assassins yet. i still took my time and also ended up having over 25h of fun playing this game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here