Miracle of Sound: Binary Divide (The Darkness 2)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Why had I not heard of this FPS where you have two freakin' demon heads doing your bidding?! And for that matter; Why would you need to dual-wield guns?

Oh wait... the gore is too much for the circus us Aussies like to call a government

Good to see you doing another Metal song, particularly like that tremolo riff at 0:23 that repeats a few times throughout and the raspy harsh vocals for the most part do a really nice job encapsulating the demonic serpentine aura of Jackie's slithery old pals. Love the subtle implementation of the strings here; particularly on the chorus alongside the lulling layered chants of 'feel her closer' it really adds a nice gothic touch to the piece and sense of malaise before coming to the forefront with that ominous outro, the guitars fade, the hectic skirmish brought to an end, all enemies laid to waste and The Darkness reigns free. Of course I haven't actually played the game, so all of that is conjecture, but I like the song basically. :)

Captcha = kiss me

...how awkward...

Definitely not my thing. Good for what it was, I guess.

Unabletothinkofname:

cricket chirps:
Not a screamo fan but i still liked the lyrics a tremendous amount. Very well written back and forth between the darkness and him.

Calling metal screamo tends to drive metal fans like me and Gav up the wall, btw. ;) Just because it has screaming doesn't mean it's called screamo, screamo's a rather crap and wimpy subgenre of something else entirely. This is more thrash/death metal.

OVERDEFINING METAL FAN AWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Did not mean to offend. :) Simply how i here it as a non-"music crazed" person. Most metal i hear and like doesn't have screaming in it so that's just where i define a difference ^^' That may be wrong i understand.

But hey in the end, music is music. All i was trying to say was that i dislike hearing that in music in general, not that it is bad or that this song should be classified under any specific genre ^_^

Another Thursday, another great MiracleOfSound song.

Really hope you do a RAGE one someday. I actually liked that game quite a bit.

OmniscientOstrich:

Captcha = kiss me

I can't help it. I must post this.

Thistlehart:
How's your throat after doing those vocals?

It's fine! When you do it properly and practice it it doesn't really hurt anymore. It's kind of like gurgling roughly. Lol.

Larcenist:
might as well have something to do with parts of your singing sounding a whole lot like Angela Gossow (meant in a good way but take it however you feel).

Also is it your new beauty singing in this song?

Yes, yes it is :)

And I'm gonna take the Gossow thing as a compliment. She screams better than 99% of male metal vocalists!

Sonicron:

Also, liked the references to the first game in the lyrics, and that nod to Patton ("Faith will follow me no more") was pretty clever. :D
Side note: Did you enjoy Patton's portrayal of The Darkness more in the first or the second game? I thought it was better in the first one.

First one, by far. Much more deranged and sinister. The second one was too shouty.

Congratulations on the success making it possible to buy the guitar you've always wanted. As a fellow guitarist I know very well the feeling when you finally get to hold that beauty in your arms. It takes a special kind of talent to be able to produce a new song every 2 weeks that isn't only very well made but is very easy to listen to, catchy as hell and in different genres all along. You have earned every penny and you will earn a lot more. Keep taking my money every 2 weeks and keep up the excellent work Gavin.

marcogodinho:
This song is a nice "fuck off" to anyone who keeps complaining that Gavin has no vocal range. Great job, man.

;) Thanks

II2:

I was poking through your encore written articles, curious what kind of setup you use, as someone who really loves music tech and kit (both hardware and software). Most of my work is from field recording + DSP foley / sound design focus, but I'm always interested how people approach their tasks.

Everything you just listed out is double dutch to me I'm afraid... my knowledge of music gear is extremely small, I just work with what I have!

I don't have any pedals and I don't use Guitar Rig (I despise the sound of Guitar Rig). I leave the guitar dry and with the amp's natural overdrive, apart form the odd delay or chorus every so often. Any effects/compressors I do use are just the ones that came with Cubase.

I don't know the first thing about guitars, drums, amps, pedals, techy stuff or anything like that. I just know what I like the sound of and I achieve it through trial and error and experimenting with the software/hardware :) (I know LEs Pauls are beastly though)

My speakers are Tapco, dunno what exact type. My soundcard is a Yamaha Audiogram 6. My amp is an Orange Tiny Terror though it's new - only this song and Take It Back were done on it, the rest on my 15 year old tiny Samick).

Komplete and Vienna are on my wishlist. For now it's Kontakt and Ableton for MIDI/Synth stuff.

Also, this answer needs to go in Encore...

Irridium:

I can't help it. I must post this.

Aww, he just wants to be loved. XD

I generally like all if not everyone of your songs so far, I think you are indeed a talent if not a music star.
I do hold some distaste towards this one, I thought it wasn't quite as awesome and or fun.
Then again the might just be me, as far as I can see, but with what you do is up to you plain and free.
I look forward to what you think up next whatever game it is, and yet again you are a whiz.
(I would've of given an extended report, but I prefer to cut this short, as it went on for far to long, and most would by the finish, be gone).

Brilliant song, the heavier feel was just right for this.

Wasn't sure if you'd be able to pull off the heavier vocal style (or ever attempt it) but you absolutely nailed it here, great work.

Can't wait till I can get this on my MP3.

‎\m/ (>_<) \m/

never shut down one of your songs before it ended.... untill now... you're a talented guy no doubt, this just wasn't my style.

damn that red button.................

MiracleOfSound:

Everything you just listed out is double dutch to me I'm afraid... my knowledge of music gear is extremely small, I just work with what I have!

I don't have any pedals and I don't use Guitar Rig (I despise the sound of Guitar Rig). I leave the guitar dry and with the amp's natural overdrive, apart form the odd delay or chorus every so often. Any effects/compressors I do use are just the ones that came with Cubase.

I don't know the first thing about guitars, drums, amps, pedals, techy stuff or anything like that. I just know what I like the sound of and I achieve it through trial and error and experimenting with the software/hardware :) (I know LEs Pauls are beastly though)

My speakers are Tapco, dunno what exact type. My soundcard is a Yamaha Audiogram 6. My amp is an Orange Tiny Terror though it's new - only this song and Take It Back were done on it, the rest on my 15 year old tiny Samick).

Komplete and Vienna are on my wishlist. For now it's Kontakt and Ableton for MIDI/Synth stuff.

Also, this answer needs to go in Encore...

Cool, thanks for the insight. Komplete includes many Vienna Symphonic Library sounds bundled and ready to go as Kontakt multi-sampled instruments. (I don't know if it's actually a comprehensive selection of Vienna's sample material, but it's a significant bundle to the tune of 48gbs of all kinds of orchestral, band and misc samples)... Working with it is a joy and I'd give it a thumbs up.

Interesting you don't like Guitar Rig... I know a lot of other musicians who feel similarly. I like it, myself, but I use it as a general effect plugin and rarely on guitars.

Anyway, cheers man. Keep doing what you do. :)

Listened to it three times in a row so far, fantastic job! Wasn't sure if you had it in you to do growls like that, I guess now we know. Loved the switch between clean vocals and growling, this could well become my favourite song of yours. Glad to hear you weren't one of those idiots who tear their throat apart to growl haha, would hate for this to be your only song with growls. Already looking forward to another one.

One thing I've been wondering about for a while, does Clouse get the song before us to make the footage, or just some lyrics or an early version or something?

Unabletothinkofname:

cricket chirps:
Not a screamo fan but i still liked the lyrics a tremendous amount. Very well written back and forth between the darkness and him.

Calling metal screamo tends to drive metal fans like me and Gav up the wall, btw. ;) Just because it has screaming doesn't mean it's called screamo, screamo's a rather crap and wimpy subgenre of something else entirely. This is more thrash/death metal.

Have to agree. The growled vocals are more closer to death metal/thrash. And I think its less over-defining and more along the lines of people just using blanket terms for whole variety of things. It would be like calling TF2 and counterstrike both FPS's. While in this case its true, a lot of info is lost when comparing them.

OT: Loved the song and the vocals. Nailed the hard vocals and the clean vocals gave a great contrast. Keep up the good work.

For the theme of the game the song sounded really light, sounded nice in it's own merits but just seemed to be more timid to go the full way with the vocals.

brunothepig:

One thing I've been wondering about for a while, does Clouse get the song before us to make the footage, or just some lyrics or an early version or something?

Justin usually begins to get spammed with early recorded versions of the song around 2 weeks before the vid comes out. I send him a lot of emails :D

It's a bit too metal for my taste, but good job nonetheless.

I really like the jarring differences between the "Torn in binary divide" part and the rest of the song.
It shows that Jackie really just is a broken down man, controlled by the unstoppable, chaotic force that is the darkness.

METAAAAAAAAL

More metal when the darkness was talking rather than Gav, but still pretty damn metal.

You know, I generally hate the heavy, gravelly voice that usually accompanies Death metal and the like, it simply grates on my nerves and usually is just as a way to hide a lack of talent. But for this, because of the theme of The Darkness 2, it just -worked.-

I never thought I'd be adding a song with that style of vocals to my list of favorites, but there you have it, bravo!

Doom-Slayer:

Unabletothinkofname:

cricket chirps:

Have to agree. The growled vocals are more closer to death metal/thrash. And I think its less over-defining and more along the lines of people just using blanket terms for whole variety of things. It would be like calling TF2 and counterstrike both FPS's. While in this case its true, a lot of info is lost when comparing them.

OT: Loved the song and the vocals. Nailed the hard vocals and the clean vocals gave a great contrast. Keep up the good work.

^This guy. Sometimes being specific about genres is necessary!

omg awesome.
edit: vocals yesssssssssssssss. guitar yessssssssssssssss. drums yesssssssssssssssssssssss. whole song yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Wow ... Gav, I don't know what to say. First, you give us an amazing Mass Effect 3 song earlier this week (which for anyone reading this who hasn't seen it, go do so immediately), then, on the same week you release another top quality song. Thank you. Really.

Wow ... Gav, I don't know what to say. First, you give us an amazing Mass Effect 3 song earlier this week (which for anyone reading this who hasn't seen it, go do so immediately), then, on the same week you release another top quality song. Thank you. Really.

This is gonna be the next song I absolutely run into the ground, I reckon. Could take a long time to ruin it for me, though.

doggie015:
Why had I not heard of this FPS where you have two freakin' demon heads doing your bidding?! And for that matter; Why would you need to dual-wield guns?

Oh wait... the gore is too much for the circus us Aussies like to call a government

Except for the part where the first game has been out for years and the second one is available for sale at EB.

https://www.ebgames.com.au/search?title=The+Darkness

I don't disagree that our Government is pants when it comes to games, but nobody deserves to be blamed for something that's not their fault.

OT - This is the first song in a long time that doesn't appeal to me. I'm just not a fan of the growly style of singing.

This makes me drool at the possibility of a Twisted Metal song.

Buh-uh-uh-uh. That was creepy and demented. Good work Gav and Justin.

Was very interesting to hear a musician I like, and have come to respect, venture into a style/genre of music that holds zero interest for me. I disliked the music in this video so much I couldn't get through it all the way.

From the comments I see that it has received praise from others so apparently the problem is just a disconnect in taste, not a failure of the artist.

Really nice growls there Gav. I hope you're not screaming from the throat though - none of us want your voice to be destroyed!

Anyway, incredible song, again. God knows how you kept yourself alive putting together two original songs these last few weeks though :P If I had one grumble, its that the song was calling out for a killer solo, but ah well. We get fresh songs every other week that you put together, I guess I shouldn't act so entitled wanting you to construct soloes as well.

Gavin, buddy, the song is good and all, but I actually cringed in fear when the man was sodomized to death by the Darkness.

So this marks the first video that works best for me if I turn away from the screen.

Seriously though good song, scary ass game.

In fact I think this is the first time I've seen a game where I'm afraid of the protagonist more than the enemies.

Between this and Joker's Song, I wonder Givin has ever considered getting into voice acting, or maybe he's just that good with impersonations

OmniscientOstrich:
Love the subtle implementation of the strings here; particularly on the chorus alongside the lulling layered chants of 'feel her closer' it really adds a nice gothic touch to the piece and sense of malaise before coming to the forefront with that ominous outro, the guitars fade,

I love when people notice stuff like this. I put a lot of effort into the subtleties of each song and it's nice when people hear them.

This song was kind of a love letter to Fear Factory, FNM and all that great, innovative 90s boundary pushing metal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here