Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 6

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

was very skeptical about this one, thank you once again Mr. Awesome for saving me money and sanity.

Call me crazy, but I don't think he liked it.

My issues with RE6 have involved three things:

1) No manual. This might have been OK if there had been a 'training' section but there isn't. You just have to read what's on the screen fast enough to capture the data. I'm certain there are moves I am missing/don't understand because NOTHING IS TELLING ME WHAT ANYTHING MEANS.

2) You can't pause the game. In 2012. A problem that was solved in the 1980's, then solved again in L4D, exists in RE6. This really is a problem for people who have to use the bathroom, sometimes.

3) This is the big one: the game won't let me play it the way I want to play it. For example: Everyone is complaining about ammo, and rightly so! If you're supposed to shoot zombies, give us enough ammo to do so. But you are given the option to increase the amount of ammo dropped. Except I don't have enough points for that; I can, instead, upgrade my firearm skill...just in time to meet bigger bads, who apparently shrug off my firearm skill. So there's no point in ever selecting an upgrade to firearms or defense, because you need bullets. So the skill selection element feels pointless.

Another example: I'm currently playing Chris's game, and I'm on the aircraft carrier. It's a large space and large spaces are frequently known for their hiding of ammo which I desperately need. But the zombies never stop coming. I can explore but I'm actively punished for doing so, being given tougher enemies and less ammo.

It's even worse if Agent Hunt is on, because then people come in and just circle/strafe you, and they don't give you ammo when you kill them, ever, but they can just respawn and keep coming.

Why even put crates in hidden spaces if you're going to put the screws to anyone who tries to find your cool thing?

I could deal with the QTEs (they don't seem that bad to me) and I could deal with the bizarrely dark environments (I have pushed up the brightness in big ways) and I could even deal with just playing the game the way they're telling me I ought to but don't give me options and then insist they are meaningless! Jebus, this game seems to want to prevent me from having fun.

So he didn't like it??
Or well that's how I understood it...
And apparently multiplayer is fun if you're able to screw someone :)

Was looking forward for Yahtzee to tear this game a new one and he didn't disappoint.

With that said,I might check it out when price goes down if I'm in the mood.

Now, I don't give two shits about RE, but one thing that I found odd:
Kotaku and now this have been the only two outlets I've seen that spoiler-tagged the "extra campaign" thing. Every single other thing I've read about the game have just blatantly stated who/what it is. So, do people just think it doesn't deserve a spoiler tag, or what? And why then bother censoring it if everyone else isn't?

Leon Kennedy? Outspoken misogynist? I must have missed the part of the game where Leon said he hated women. When did he get that label?

Another horrible review from Yahtzee from a series he's clearly uber biased about. I don't know why I expected anything better from him...

Founding a city on the moon? Guess that's one more thing he has in common with the Nazi's XD (iron sky joke)

But yeah I have no idea what so many people see in this game. It's not survival horror in the slightest, there are too many pointless bits thrown in just because without any polish, and the co-op is just as pointless as ever. In a month (or even year) with so many better offerings, why bother playing RE6 at all?

striderkiwi:
Another horrible review from Yahtzee from a series he's clearly uber biased about. I don't know why I expected anything better from him...

Of course you think he's biased little one, he has an opinion that is different to yours. Well, in a sense he is in that he has an opinion on the games...didn't stop him enjoying Resident Evil 4 though.
But you know, you'd be just as biased if you liked the thing...just in a different way.

Daniel Ford:
To be fair RE:3 ended with a nuke.

Maybe the whole game series should have ended with that nuke too?

daxterx2005:
First Jim reviewed it, now Yahtzee? Can Bob be next please? XD

I think that could be a Big Picture episode, but I'm not sure what Bob could say the 1st two guys haven't already.

And I'm not holding my breath for an XCOM review; it's a strategy game and a remake, two game types Yahtzee isn't a fan of (see HALO WARS and Syndicate).

rembrandtqeinstein:
I hated the first 3 resident evils and would have probably hated 4 on gamecube. But on the Wii RE4 was brilliant because you could AIM with the wiimote.

Plus when I played through it I was working on a kidney stone so I had the immersive feeling of a foreign body tearing up my insides the whole time.

This.

I pretty much gave up on RE5 after about three stages because the controls just felt so unplayable (seriously, Chris is an elite military soldier, but he doesn't know how to strafe!? Or even move while aiming!?), especially after Capcom pretty much nailed the controls for RE4: Wii Edition.

The demo for RE6 felt like 1/3 of a good game. I really liked Leon's segment (well, mostly), I guess because it was closest to RE4's style. Chris's segment I wasn't overly keen on, as it basically felt like it was trying to be a Call of Duty/Gears of War type game, but with the worst, loosest control scheme imaginable. Jake's segment I just found unplayable and (once again) gave up on it after about five minutes.

Sorry Capcom, you can add all the flashy, mister fancy-pants production values you want, but if your gameplay sucks, then the game sucks.

I'm surprised Yahtzee knew who Boyzone were.

From what I've played, mostly Mercenaries mode and a bit of Leon's co-op campaign, Resident Evil 6 is not that bad. It certainly lacks a certain polish to it that I'm used to seeing in these bigger budgeted games, especially disheartening when realizing it is coming from Capcom.

Also, I'm sticking to the fact that playing co-op with complete strangers can only be a recipe for disaster... that, and eventually an aneurysm.

So here is a game where one of the biggest complaints is that the AI partner is too competent compared to a human partner. WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?

baseracer:
Ok, I'm gonna bite.

Why didn't Yathzee play local co op? That's loads of fun and you don't get idiots that are online.

Yahtzee believes any full priced game must stand up on single-player alone. To a point I agree. I'm kinda wondering if it would be that much harder to just make 2 versions of a puzzle with and without co-op requirements and to make alternate cutscenes that benefit from the other person being there but doesn't alter the story.

*slow clap*

Well said, Yahtzee, well said!

striderkiwi:

One question, do you like the game?

Then the review shouldn't bother you.

secondly, Yahtzee LIKED Call of Duty 4.

Zukipuu:
I see that planet Earth chuggin on a bottle of Clorox there... nicely played.

I do not know whether the idea was done as a reference in bad taste, or out of complete ignorance. But.. much too soon, and so not cool. I couldn't watch the rest of the video after that.

"Capcom games are never very well written"
Ahem.
*Points to Phoenix Wright series*

Demonio Penguino:
Ahem.

There are always exceptions.

Shootie Shootie zombie blam blam 2aushkabibbledy7 sounds like a better title...

well my opinion on resident evil six have been revamped thrice now. i might just get it just so i can play as some monster and mess up some poor jerks game in multiplayer(mindjack anyone?).

MegaManOfNumbers:

Demonio Penguino:
Ahem.

There are always exceptions.

Also, it's one franchise out of many, including Megaman, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Ghosts & Goblins, Street Fighter (hah!), Darkstalkers, Bionic Commando, Sengoku Basara, Viewtiful Joe, Final Fight, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet.

OT: Yeah, I've never cared about RE as a franchise. Nothing about it ever really excited me, and they really just seem to re-tread the same ground over and over in each game. They're even just constantly re-using the old characters. There's a certain point where you've gotta break away from the norm here, guys.

The "S" stands for Scott. I'm surprised he didn't recall the frequent usage of "Mr. Scott Kennedy" in 4.

Bit sad to see a game that's already received universal contempt covered this week, but perhaps X-COM and Dishonored just came out too late.

Personally I'm curious as to whether he'll enjoy Dishonored, I've had a lot of fun following the stealth and pacifist options.

tehweave:
Leon Kennedy? Outspoken misogynist? I must have missed the part of the game where Leon said he hated women. When did he get that label?

Heh, maybe it's a reference to the bulk of player-reaction to Ashley?

rembrandtqeinstein:
I hated the first 3 resident evils and would have probably hated 4 on gamecube. But on the Wii RE4 was brilliant because you could AIM with the wiimote.

Plus when I played through it I was working on a kidney stone so I had the immersive feeling of a foreign body tearing up my insides the whole time.

I have it, but a hate how I need to fight the same giant eye monster again and again. The fully upgraded shotgun is amazing however

*Yatzee reviews RE 6

>_>

<_<

:oh dis gonna be good:

If that hidden fourth character thing is Ada Wong again i will not even give RE:6 a fair chance to impress me as an action game because that sort of "hidden reward" just makes me want to stop playing and go cry in a corner.

Yes it's always comforting to know you're job could be just as easily accomplished by a mindless string of 1's and 0's.

Sounds like a game to pick up in a sale or something. Thanks.

Do we have a right to be surprised anymore when a Resident Evil game sucks? It has basically turned into the Friday the 13th of video games. I hate to say it but Call Of Duty has better tacked on Zombie shooters than Resident Evil games.

Ulquiorra4sama:
If that hidden fourth character thing is Ada Wong again i will not even give RE:6 a fair chance to impress me as an action game because that sort of "hidden reward" just makes me want to stop playing and go cry in a corner.

The alternative is that Ada's story is removed from the game entirely and sold separately as DLC.

dennett316:

striderkiwi:

Of course you think he's biased little one, he has an opinion that is different to yours. Well, in a sense he is in that he has an opinion on the games...didn't stop him enjoying Resident Evil 4 though.
But you know, you'd be just as biased if you liked the thing...just in a different way.

MegaManOfNumbers:

One question, do you like the game?

Then the review shouldn't bother you.

secondly, Yahtzee LIKED Call of Duty 4.

I think both you just got trolled. For shame.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here