The Replacements
The Rookie
For the Love of the Game
Major League
Miracle
Friday night lights
A League of Their Own
Rudy

Problem with most of that list is that they were sports movies that were good to people who like sports. For instance, I thought "The Rookie" was the most boring, drawn out movie to ever grace my television screen. A truly great sports movie to me is one that can keep the attention of people who don't even like the sport in question.

and swat kats is F'IN AWESOME!!

Yeah the Might Ducks are great, but as a fan of the sport I gotta say while the Mighty Ducks 2 is good sports movie it's just a horrible, horrible, hockey movie, in the so bad it's funny category.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

ravenshrike:
ALso better sports movies;

The Replacements
The Rookie
For the Love of the Game
Major League
Miracle
Friday night lights
A League of Their Own
Rudy

Problem with most of that list is that they were sports movies that were good to people who like sports. For instance, I thought "The Rookie" was the most boring, drawn out movie to ever grace my television screen. A truly great sports movie to me is one that can keep the attention of people who don't even like the sport in question.

You might want to fix your quote. I assume you were going to respond to me and then changed your mind but screwed up the editing.

You are both wrong. The correct answer is Goon. Now I've never actually seen this whole movie sober but every time my friends and I have watched it, we've always had a good time.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HELD ANYTHING BALL-SHAPED?!

I don't think I've laughed that hard in a while. Keep it up guys, we love what you do. For honorable mention, I recommend A League of Their Own. Going with the theme of bitter coach that has to learn the game and life again, Tom Hanks was possibly my favorite angry coach.

i64ever:
Wow, absolutely pathetic. Neither movie belongs in the discussion. Neither is one of the top 5 sports movies, probably not top 10. I mean, how many sports movies have these two seen, anyways?! They just look foolish trying to pitch two forgettable movies in a genre that has given us such masterpieces. I think this video has finally shown us a right answer. These two should never touch a sports topic again. They just shouldn't.

Whoa there, buddy. You must be new to this...they aren't trying to have end all discussion here. They pick a topic. They pick which of their favorites they want to put in as their candidate. They have a debate! It's all for entertainment, and isn't about who wins. If you're looking for more in depth look into a particular topic either figuratively or historically, I would suggest The Big Picture.

I think no one has mentioned this

This should have won

Gladiator...because nobody said it?

edit: Caddyshack, Major League, Talladega Knights, Remember the Titans....

I'd go with Any Given Sunday. Fantastic football movie, with many personal rises and falls contained within it, and it involves characters who are all deeply flawed. And also Elizabeth Berkley's hooha.

Why not Space Jam? that movie is fucking brilliant!
watched it last week, Netflix finally made it's way to norway and the first movie i watched was Space Jam.

Red Oni:
BASEketball?

Agreed, but then I've got a soft spot for Parker and Stone. Also it was the only time Jenny McCarthy ever did an acting job I didn't hate.

I woulda picked Angels in the Outfield for baseball,

Azuaron:
Sandlot: not a sports movie.

But, given that I don't really like any sports movies, eh all the way across the board.

Unless A Knight's Tale counts. A Knight's Tale was awesome.

Id count A Knights Tale as a sports movie :D Jousting was a legitimate sport lol

swat cats is amazing!!!
but, apart from that, chris really didn't make much sense on this one

Two things:
1) Kyle. And sometimes Chris. But mostly Kyle. The point of the drinking round was the spit take. Now it's just a way to get the other person not to talk while you make some grandiose speech. Can we get some saliva back on the table?

2) Try to be best
'Cause you're only a man
And a man's gotta learn to take it
Try to believe
Though the going gets rough
That you gotta hang tough to make it
History repeats itself
Try and you'll succeed
Never doubt that you're the one
And you can have your dreams!
You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down
You're the Best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down
You're the Best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you dow-ow-ow-ow-own

You want to talk about inspiring coach? Insane kids who seem to have no other job than to spend every second of their lives in practice? Evil coach who definitely should not be anywhere near children? The wussy loser who gets his act together through playing said sport and even gets the girl who totally ditches him in the next movie? All topped off with both the most ridiculous yet effective sports anthem ever?

Karate. Kid.

ravenshrike:
You might want to fix your quote. I assume you were going to respond to me and then changed your mind but screwed up the editing.

Thanks, I still confuse myself now that the quote/edit buttons are at the top of the post instead of the bottom.

Gotta go with A League of Their Own as well. Also, anyone gonna root for Breaking Away?

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy, Rudy....

I still like The Sandlot more and where the heck did you get those shirts cause they're awesome.

Sports bore the snot out of me, but I will watch these:

image image

Baronvvoltage:
Little giants. Had al buddy. Had John madden. Insta-win.

Little Giants would have been stylistically closer to Mighty Ducks. That would have been an interesting argument.

Basically what we came down to is the Sandlot is an excellent movie that is only slightly about sports, while Mighty Ducks is a nostalgia fueled average sports movie.

Bad News Bears (original) vs Sandlot

or

Mighty Ducks vs Little Giants.

Lately they've had tough times picking good opponents. Shame.

So last week zombieland was the better movie because it was just about zombies while shaun was a good movie that just happened to have zombies but this week the sandlot is the better sports movie because it's a good movie that just happens to have sports?

Gotta say, I like Sandlot more, but Kyle did raise some very good points.

If you wanna be technical The Karate Kid is also a great sports movie.

What no mention of Shaolin Soccer?

There's a bit of humor to be found in two heavy-set fella's debating sports movies... With exercise DVD's on the shelf behind them. LOL

Spot1990:
So last week zombieland was the better movie because it was just about zombies while shaun was a good movie that just happened to have zombies but this week the sandlot is the better sports movie because it's a good movie that just happens to have sports?

Mighty Ducks actually won. Did you watch the whole episode? =S Sandlot scored a single point.

Whatever happened to the show being about two things that aren't the two choices any normal being would pick for the discussion. I thought having two people argue over two obviously not top of the line choices for the questions gave this show a lot of charm.

Anyway that's my $.02.

Sovereignty:

Spot1990:

Mighty Ducks actually won. Did you watch the whole episode? =S Sandlot scored a single point.

I was referring to Chris' logic.

Yea, gotta say there were certainly some big titles I expected to see in there; Remember the Titans, The Longest Yard, Miracle, Coach Carter and possibly Chariots of Fire.

Then, if you're going to include individual sports too theres; Rocky, The Karate Kid, Cinderella Man and White Men Can't Jump.

Happy Gilmore
Major League
Karate Kid
The Replacements
Bring It On

Movies that are almost as good as Mighty Ducks, if going by sports only.

Captcha: I'm Only Human.

I don't know if this is a good suggestion or not, but...

Best Life Lesson(s) Learned: Ferris Bueller's Day Off vs The Breakfast Club.

Don't EVER disrespect SWAT Kats! That being said, Mighty Ducks for me, all the way.

Come on, this should be "Best Kids Sports Movie"... Even considering those, there are dozens better sports movies.

Jaden Kazega:
I don't know if this is a good suggestion or not, but...

Best Life Lesson(s) Learned: Ferris Bueller's Day Off vs The Breakfast Club.

How about neither. I hated Bueller; and in the Breakfast Club, I rooted for Mr. Vernon.

First of all Shaolin Soccer wins. I hate soccer but I love that movie.
Second I can't be the only one who wonders if Kyle might be related to one of the sandlot...

It's called Any Given Sunday. Some of the best editing I have ever seen is all through out that film.

This no right answer thing always has a couple of answers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here