Russian Media Suggests Modern Warfare 2 Trained Terrorists

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Ha!

I laugh at the absurdity!

Whispering Death:
I think this makes sense. I mean, it explains why so many 16-year-old XBOX and PC Gamers blow themselves up in American airports all the time!

Don't you mean 13 year olds? ;P

Sixcess:
Activision's response should be interesting.

"We at Activision wholeheartedly deny that MW2 could be used to train terrorists. MW2 is intended purely for entertainment, because massacring dozens of unarmed, screaming civilians is... um... fun..."

It's a silly story, but that doesn't mean Activision don't deserve to take flack for that cheap, stupid, sensationalist level.

Stop reading my mind! ^_^ :-P

Sad thing is that Activison did not only damage itself with this shit.

*sigh*

Russia, why must you blame 1 game for what has been happening for ages?

So videogames are now also responsible for Islamic extremism too? Wow.

:/ saw that one coming. Because playing COD is just like planting explosives in real life! Just hold X!!!

I agree that it is a stupid link to try and make, but it really was always going to happen. In all fairness though I think the scene (in the game) was in bad taste (Yatzhee's review sums this up quite well tbh). Infinity Ward really messed up on MW2 after the brilliant Modern Warfare.

Also how could MW2 be used to teach anyone anything? If you want realism blame summat like ARMA, not the Bullet Sponge, akimbo wielding, physic bending MW2 :P

Ah Russia Today. The old Kremlin propaganda machine is working again I see. I occasionally visit the RT website just to laugh at all the party-line bullshit they shovel out.
Hooray for having politically neutral News channels in the UK! :D

Modern Warfare 2 is realistic enough to train terrorists?

Were the terrorists all circle-strafing and acting surprised when their bullet wounds don't regenerate after thirty seconds?

Pff, I wish.

I can't shoot a pistol without it smacking my shoulder off. ANd I played through the entire single player campaign. ON NORMAL.

HK_01:
So videogames featuring Americans are now also responsible for Islamic Gamer extremism too? Wow, this is totally Western society's fault.

I have corrected you, comrade.

they must be horrifically badly trained terrorists.

I'm sure that Islamic radicals love to play videogames... Eventhough their ideology strictly forbids them to have any kind of fun.

Well, Poetin and Medvedev have to put the blame on something so that they can continue to look cewl and badass on TV.

Owyn_Merrilin:
[quote="Therumancer" post="7.259596.9794476"]

However, tactics in realistic videogames, like, say, Modern Warfare 2, ArmA II, or America's Freakin' Army, are very similar to those used in real life, and can be used as training tools. It's perfectly plausible that these guys trained on a videogame, whether it was a mod for ArmA or America's Army, or they used the off the shelf mission from MW2. Legitimate militaries do it, why not terrorist groups?

That's incorrect.

You're wrong if you think those tactics in MW2 translate to real life. People should not confused fantasy with reality.

Seriin:
*crosses fingers* Please no one show this to Fox "News".

^ this

I think I just thought of a new concept for a game. Think of it like the assassins creed-multiplayer part, but it's security vs suicide bombers. You get points for a succesfull bombing and lose point by getting killed.

That do kind of sounds like one could waste a couple of hours, but we don't really need a game that none could deny that it didn't have anything to do with suicide bombings <.<

On another note, that reporter clearly haven't played the game and for some reason I doubt read any reviews on the matter. I get the feeling that the reporter just heard about it from someone who read a review...

Also, people writing this shit should totally try to train for ANYTHING with a videogame(Motion-thingys doesn't count). I highly doubt they would succeed.

That's weird, I heard that the Russian attack was a detonated bomb in the luggage check, not four guys with machine guns casually walking in and mowing down everything that moved.

jdun:

Owyn_Merrilin:
[quote="Therumancer" post="7.259596.9794476"]

However, tactics in realistic videogames, like, say, Modern Warfare 2, ArmA II, or America's Freakin' Army, are very similar to those used in real life, and can be used as training tools. It's perfectly plausible that these guys trained on a videogame, whether it was a mod for ArmA or America's Army, or they used the off the shelf mission from MW2. Legitimate militaries do it, why not terrorist groups?

That's incorrect.

You're wrong if you think those tactics in MW2 translate to real life. People should not confused fantasy with reality.

Maybe MW2 is a bad example for training weapons tactics, although I doubt the regenerating health matters much when you're killing unarmed civilians and don't plan on getting out alive. Regardless, any sort of team based game can be used to work on coordinating efforts and working together, whether it's MW2, ArmA II, or TF2 -- and games are cheaper than live fire exercises, not to mention much easier to keep under wraps. The fact is, the quote isn't blaming MW2 for anything; it's suggesting that the terrorists might have trained on it or a similar game. I really don't see the controversy here.

Russia gets what it deserves. **** Russia

Senaro:
That's weird, I heard that the Russian attack was a detonated bomb in the luggage check, not four guys with machine guns casually walking in and mowing down everything that moved.

Well, if that's the case... why are people retarded enough to think the game had anything to do with anything at all. Those people shouldn't be allowed to be in the media.

And there was me wondering why my controller exploded when I pressed the left and right trigger together.

I am Jack's complete lack of suprise.

Actually I thought this to myself the second I heard about this yesterday morning, no lie. It's complete bullshit, just like saying GTA trains gangbangers. It's just people looking for something to place the blame on... that's all. Horrible situations are easier to deal with when there is someone or seomething to hold responsible.

I'm pretty sure, in the near future we will see people and baggage being groped and searched the second you step into an airport, not just the terminal anymore. Then when someone sets off a bomb out in the parking garage they will put up road blocks and check pooints before even getting near the airport.

That is so retarded. Did the game teach them how to buy and use explosives? No. Was the airport in the game the same and thus aided in planning? No. What is wrong with the media.

Sixcess:

SpiderJerusalem:

Sixcess:
Activision's response should be interesting.

"We at Activision wholeheartedly deny that MW2 could be used to train terrorists. MW2 is intended purely for entertainment, because massacring dozens of unarmed, screaming civilians is... um... fun..."

It's a silly story, but that doesn't mean Activision don't deserve to take flack for that cheap, stupid, sensationalist level.

Oh please, had that been the start of a movie it would have been lauded as "harrowing, brave and edgy" Just because it's a part of a game it's suddenly thought as cheap and sensationalist.

No, it's thought of as cheap and sensationalist because it is cheap and sensationalist. I don't believe for a second that that sequence had any purpose behind it other than to stir up controversy and publicity.

MW2 is a dumb ass shooter and if it was a movie it would be Red Dawn, not Saving Private Ryan.

It's only as dumb as the person playing it wants it to be.

To me, it was pretty much a continuation of Michael Bay, Jerry Bruckheimer and John McTiernan films of the highest order. Consider the beginning of The Rock, with soldiers taking hostages in an American landmark, or any Die Hard movie (specifically part 2) where terrorists hold the lives of innocent passengers and civilians in their hands and in the worst cases do their worst to make sure the heroes are aware of the stakes.

No American was, as an opener to a clearly cinematic game, an eye opener as far as the stakes were involved. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun because it wasn't MEANT TO BE. The story needed a crime heinous enough to build a potential war on, an off-hand comment about something happening in some town wouldn't have been enough for people to actually care about what was happening - unless they were there in the first place with an attitude of "this is dumb, herp derp."

Also, considering that Red Dawn is considered a classic 80's actioner, your example is silly to say the least.

My take on this report. No, of course such a game does not help one train and prepare for a suicide bombing. However, such an obvious attempt by an American developer to court controversy for the sake of sales has basically given free ammunition to the Putin's dictatorship in their quest to restart the cold war. Well done, Infinity Ward.

I can almost imagine this.

"Hurry up, will you? We're almost at security!"

"Well I can't find the f***ing A button on this thing!"

I think this may go a long way to prove that Terrorists are influenced by fiction.

I played Super Mario and now I am an IRA Terrorist...........Ohwait.

I hate these stories, All it does is push our medium further away from acceptance. Way to go Media, Always fucking us up.

That's conservative mass media for you, Ladies and Gentlemen!
Stupid, sensationalist and xenophobic -- different country, same flavour.

Of course, whining about an video game (made by foreigners!) has nothing to do with trying to distract people from the failure to prevent a serious terrorist attack.

And so the Russian media becomes just as fucking gullible as the game made them out to be.

//Russia Today also wonders why there hasn't been more criticism of the game in light of the Domodedovo attack.

Because "blaming it all on videogames" is not a Russian political cliche.

And seriously, I am Russian, I played the MW2, found it dumb and disrespectful to Russia (they got the Russian flag wrong in one instance).
Did I get offended? No, I grew up on 80s-90s Hollywood movies and have learned to watch them with a grain of salt, when it comes to Russian invaders and Russia as a whole.

But overall, I am saddened by the terrorist act and offer my condolences to all those who were killed or wounded in the attack.

And seriously escapists. It's a terrorist attack on civilians. What if it happened in the US? Show some respect to those who died and refrain from jokes.

Thank you.

They should not ask whether the terrorists took after MW2. What they should be asking themselves is why NOBODY FRISKS YOU WHEN YOU ENTER AN AIRPORT. Reports say that security was low that day. Why?

And sure, people are subjected every day to media like this. They are called movies.

And wouldn't you know, the satellite channel that made this statement, is government-financed. Shows what kind of morons are running that country. Not that the ones in mine are any better, but still...

Shirokurou:

And seriously escapists. It's a terrorist attack on civilians. What if it happened in the US? Show some respect to those who died and refrain from jokes.

Thank you.

What Shirokurou said. People died for no reason. Why the fuck do people here think that this is funny ?

massive sarcasm in 3...2...1...

It makes sense! We're training our kids to become terrorists! Because pressing a button on a piece of plastic is exactly like placing an explosive device! And people are dumb enough not to realize there's an explosive device there, just like in video games! PROTECT THE CHILDREN FROM TERRORISM!!!

/Sarcasm.

Hey, Russia: instead of finding a scapegoat, find the actual culprit! Or is that too much work for you?

Murderiser:
Ah Russia Today. The old Kremlin propaganda machine is working again I see. I occasionally visit the RT website just to laugh at all the party-line bullshit they shovel out.
Hooray for having politically neutral News channels in the UK! :D

Dude, I'm Russian. And as you can imagine, this topic is in the news a lot. And I have not once heard of anyone saying anything about videogames. I read about it here...

So Russia Today is just pulling a Jack Thompson.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here