56% of American Gamers Don't Buy Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Maybe if new games weren't so freakin' expensive, this sort of thing wouldn't be as big a deal. $60 is well out of impulse-buy range.

There's a lot more going on in the market, but I honestly think this is one of the biggest reasons gamers are buying used and swapping games more than buying new. And also one of the reasons Steam is doing so well.

I have a solution for the gaming industry: Stop releasing games one can finish in 6 hours. My console gamer friends rent their games, and why shouldn't they if they can complete the storyline within the duration of the rental?

Win/Win, really.

Normandyfoxtrot:

No company is going to spend 2-4 years and in excess of 200million dollars on on loss leaders, not even one with lobotomized shareholders.

Even if in the future it would mean huge franchises and massive profits?

$60 per game NEW, stacking hyped games on the same month, week and or DAY it's fucking sickening. They DARE think gamers are suppose to be a fucking money tree. They make it seem it's wrong that I can borrow a friend's game, more so roommates or family members SHARE 1 copy of a game instead of buying 2+. Also fuck the publishers sitting on your high horse just because you have money flying out your ass that doesn't mean everybody else does you stupid, shithook bastards. They think gamers don't need to pay bills, buy food, take care of themselves.

First off publishers stop spending MILLIONS on a game when it just gonna be for multiplayer. Advertize more online since its cheaper and please don't use a stupid ass songs that'll cost you too much money to license. I got 99 problems and crooked ass publishers are one, I always wonder why in the fuck publishers take the big cut when it comes to the game sell. They overall did nothing warranting their payment amount the big cut should be going to the developers that did all the goddamn work in the first place. Plus why do a majority of new games have to be at the $60 price point I remember in the PSX - PS2 generations new games were $20-$50. So when a game wasn't hyped and it costs $20-40 they'll still get tried out if they were cool.

Yet it's the GAMERS that are causing all your problems. Really publishers, really...

Irridium:

Normandyfoxtrot:

No company is going to spend 2-4 years and in excess of 200million dollars on on loss leaders, not even one with lobotomized shareholders.

Even if in the future it would mean huge franchises and massive profits?

Share holders or more precisely the mutual funds and banks that manage those shares for holders aren't going to listen or give a damn about that reasoning and you and I both know that.

Loonerinoes:

Yopaz:
And yet people will come here and say that used sales don't cause the publisher any reason to worry...

Of course they don't! After all, used sales are *legitimate* ways in which the developers/publishers don't get money, whereas piracy is bad because it's *illegitimate*. What matters is the principle of the thing, not the, ya know, actual effect being virtually the same damn thing in the end.

/end sarcasm

First Sale Doctrine. Look it up. But hey, what to consumer rights matter in this case? Oh wait. THEY MATTER A WHOLE G'DAMN LOT! That's what this whole issue is: Corporation profits vs consumer rights. And you're siding with the former.

Yopaz:
And yet people will come here and say that used sales don't cause the publisher any reason to worry...

Well they don't. As you can see, more than 50% of Americans don't buy games, yet the video game industry is turning mad profit! What do you think is going to happen if we let them destroy used games sales, or worse, make every game online only so that you can't even borrow games to friends? Do you think that will make people buy more games? Seriously? People are more likely to say "fuck it" and move on to other, cheaper hobbies. It seems like the gaming industry wants to make games a luxury product only to be enjoyed by the rich. Not a lot of people have the money to buy all those games new. Shutting down used game sales will hurt the industry in the long run. And it will increase piracy! Who has that much money to buy all of the games coming out new? And if you make people buy only new games, they will buy less games. And the less new games they buy, the more careful they will be about purchasing games, which will lead to less pre-ordered games. And if you buy one game and you don't like it, chances are you will not buy the sequel even though it may turn out to be 100x better than any game you played in your life. Because you don't want to spend money on something you may not like and can't sell. The problem is, gaming industry is being run by retarded greedy old people who can only see a big dollar sign in front of their eyes.

And let's not forget that buying a game used doesn't hurt developers or publishers. The same way that buying used cars doesn't hurt car manufacturers. Game developers and publishers are only doing this because they can. It doesn't make it right, and it sure as hell isn't justified. And if you're siding with the corporations on this one then you're really clueless. One day you'll look back at the consumer rights you used to have and you'll realize that you let them take away all of your consumer rights and freedoms. How can people be so fuckin' brainwashed?

Personally I follow a 1 hour per dollar rule. If I expect to get 1 hour of enjoyment for every dollar a game costs I will buy it. With me playing very few multiplayer games that means I don't usually buy games new. I'm not spending 60 dollars for a 4 hour campaign.

Athinira:

Yopaz:

Not compared to any other industry. Every single industry in the world that sells something that isn't 100% a 'service' has to deal with resales. Why should gaming be any different?

In short: Instead of worrying about it, factor it into your budget (or as Brad Wardell put it: Make games for your CUSTOMERS, not your users, because not all users are customers).

Because in most other cases there is either a longer delay before the product can be purchased used (consumer electronics, traditional used book stores), a much larger difference in prices (used and new cars) or a greater risk of loss of quality (cars, furniture, clothes).

TheDooD:
$60 per game NEW, stacking hyped games on the same month, week and or DAY it's fucking sickening.Also fuck the publishers sitting on your high horse just because you have money flying out your ass that doesn't mean everybody else does you stupid, shithook bastards. They think gamers don't need to pay bills, buy food, take care of themselves.

o_O

Because there's a moral imperative to give you games? Because those dirty companies kidnapped your puppy and will toss it in a meat grinder if you don't purchase their product?

I've generally calmed down on my "entitlement" rhetoric but holy shit.

So yeah the publishers are getting fucked in the ass by the second-hand market. And you know what? Its their own fault. We have no obligation to hold their hand and help them out. People buy what is cheaper, its just how the market works, for everybody. I dont think the games industry deserves to get a free pass from what every other industry has to deal with.

DVS BSTrD:
If I HAD the money to spend, I'd buy 'em. But I'm not going to make my brother buy his own copy when I'd be playing it on HIS X-box.

Hevva:
A new market study has indicated that "swapsies" is the most populat game of 2011.

I'll have to take your word for it since I don't know what 'poulat' means

What 'poulat' is this you speak of? He was obviously talking about a populat...

I fail to see how this article can be used as an argument against used games sales and piracy. It's not like publishers are clinging to their last breath. Games regularly break a million sales. The only reason publishers would want to get rid of the used games market is greed, plain and simple. People are to quick to do away with their rights as consumers.

Sharing games is a custom that has existed since the dawn of video games and should never die. I bought a used copy of Arkham Asylum with a friend and since then both of us have played it (he played it twice) and we've lent it out to three other people (all but one has beaten it, the third is still playing through it). Considering it was a pre-owned game already, who knows how many people have played that disc. In the end, it makes the game more valuable on a sentimental level.

In other words: KEEP DIS SHIT ALIVE!

4173:
snip

I didn't say they need to give me a damn thing. It's just they need not to bitch when I choose to buy their game used when it was too damn expensive for me to buy it new. If Publishers want people to buy new they need to sell cheap and stop treating those that buy used, rent, and or share games like they stole money out their pockets.

I don't find the day one DLC or online pass stuff very annoying at all really. If that's what the publishers come up with to ensure some extra money supports the industry with them I'm ok with that. I don't buy very many games used and those I do are usually more of an impulse buy or a much older game rather than something I've been looking forward to.

Or you know they could. Put their formerly published games on sale on spesific dates with ease of digital access, digital download or extra bonuses for a cheaper buck if you buy their outdated product 1-2 years after its release. You know?

You could actually potentially make money off supporting your used game for years (i.e blizzard supported sc broodwar for infinite years?)

OH WAIT? WOULD BE VALVE? Would that be blizzard? You wont follow in the footsteps they have set? OH SHIT A VALID BUISNESS STRATEGY?

WHAT EA? NO? YOUD RATHER COMPLAIN ABOUT PIRACY OR USED GAME SALES??

well a merry fuck to you too then ;3

TheDooD:

4173:
snip

I didn't say they need to give me a damn thing. It's just they need not to bitch when I choose to buy their game used when it was too damn expensive for me to buy it new. If Publishers want people to buy new they need to sell cheap and stop treating those that buy used, rent, and or share games like they stole money out their pockets.

Just for curiosities sake what price do you think a Triple A title should go at you know with the mulit-year development and total costs being over 500million dollars?

We can't afford games, but we can afford DLC. What a sad world we live in.

Yopaz:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/05/09/activision-blizzard-posts-record-profits-with-a-large-share-fro/
No reason at all, publishers are making money hand over fist. It's a stupid argument, the video game industry is doing very well and has been increasing pretty much year over year for the past 10 years.

So no I don't think used game sales should give any reason to worry. I worry about my rights to buy a used product though while a bunch of idiots go around and argue that the industry isn't making enough and they need to screw us over to survive.

Normandyfoxtrot:

TheDooD:

4173:
snip

Just for curiosities sake what price do you think a Triple A title should go at you know with the mulit-year development and total costs being over 500million dollars?

33 - 50 - 70% - 90 off initial price depending on how much they actually support their customer base and make them feel wanted.

EHKOS:
Yeah...but...what about books, and movies. They don't whine like this. Or at least as much. I'm really sick of the whole subject.

This. If publishing, Cinema and Cars don't make such stupid claims then I don't understand why games complain so much. I mean it is not like these players don't buy the games or that the publishers get no money in this system. For every used game their was once a new game!

I'm a bit shocked at those numbers. I almost never buy used, and I also almost never buy DLC lol.

Speaking of which... BF3's Karkand DLC pisses me off something fierce. Just because I didn't pre-order, I don't get it free? And on top of that it's basically an at-launch DLC... Fuckas.

I buy all my games new or on sale on Steam. I can't remember the last time I walked into a store though. Does this only count retail sales or also digital 'new' sales?

Madkipz:
Or you know they could. Put their formerly published games on sale on spesific dates with ease of digital access, digital download or extra bonuses for a cheaper buck if you buy their outdated product 1-2 years after its release. You know?

You could actually potentially make money off supporting your used game for years (i.e blizzard supported sc broodwar for infinite years?)

OH WAIT? WOULD BE VALVE? Would that be blizzard? You wont follow in the footsteps they have set? OH SHIT A VALID BUISNESS STRATEGY?

WHAT EA? NO? YOUD RATHER COMPLAIN ABOUT PIRACY OR USED GAME SALES??

well a merry fuck to you too then ;3

We should get a drink lol. It's insane, and what's worse are the idiots arguing to have their rights taken away.

Madkipz:

Normandyfoxtrot:

TheDooD:

33 - 50 - 70% - 90 off initial price depending on how much they actually support their customer base and make them feel wanted.

We're talking about launch day, not future sales Madkipz.

Hevva:
...it's hard to see how publishers can avoid these methods without seeing a marked decrease in their profits.

No, it isn't.
The whole reason why the pre-owned games business (and game trading) is booming is because the original pricing is stupidly high.

Lower the prices of new games significantly, and alot more people will buy them, and more of them.

Alternatively, offer more content for the money asked.

I don't know about the average gamer, but when I get interested in a game and consider purchasing it I immediately weigh the play-time potential vs the asking price. User reviews are great for this, as you immediately get an idea how long the game will last before it's over in the hands of a seasoned gamer.

Less than 10 hours for 60$? No thanks.
40 hours for 60$? Shut up and take my money!

My brother and I, never buy the same game, because we'll just lend it to each other later. It's a great system especially this time of year, when we have so many games getting released.

So, yeah this isn't surprising at all.

4173:
Because in most other cases there is either a longer delay before the product can be purchased used (consumer electronics, traditional used book stores), a much larger difference in prices (used and new cars) or a greater risk of loss of quality (cars, furniture, clothes).

Since there is also a longer delay before each normal non-resale purchase, the argument for longer delay before a resale is void. What matters is the resale percentage (aka. how huge a percentage of the sales that are re-sales compared to real sales). My guess is that the percentage doesn't vary much (at least not that much) between industries.

Your other argument about much larger price differences all depends on time of sale. A car resold a year after it's been purchased is still going to fit a hefty price, while a car sold 5 years after purchase is going for a very low price. Games that aren't limited by registration, account-binding and serials etc. (aka. most console games) aren't much different.

Your argument about loss of quality is valid, but mostly only for console games. PC games are more or less either DLC-bound these days (like Arkham City buyers only getting Catwoman if they purchase the real deal. Other games are following trend).

I'd be lying if i weren't admitting to there being SOME disparity between the normal industry or other industries, especially for console games, but it's not that huge.

Normandyfoxtrot:

Madkipz:

Normandyfoxtrot:

its a triple AAA title. Sell it for 40 - 60 usd depending on content.

If its a primarily multiplayer game you should probably sell it for 40 (i.e pontential profits going up because of continous support and dlc sales campains to flood servers back up with a steady "subscriber" base).

If its singleplayer RPG ala Mass effect you should pay a bit extra like 60 and then some for dlc later down the line. Why? because its a movie, its different. Animation costs, cutscenes costs, 40 - 60 - infinite amount of playtime. Its different.

Five hundred million dollars? Is this guy high?

Normandyfoxtrot:

TheDooD:

4173:
snip

Dude, not even Michael Bay movies get budgets this big. Are you nuts?

Yopaz:

To be fair, even though i've argued for buying used games, i've never said Publishers should not worry...

I said I don't give a shit if publishers worry.

Out of all the games released on a yearly basis I only ever buy between 2 and 5 on release at full price.

Before I gave my 360 to my son I would wait until games I might fancy a play on came in used or borrow them off a friend.

Since I took to full time PC gaming I wait until I find a game I want on Amazon for around 10.

Unless it's a game I really, really want then i'll buy it at release (Skyrim, i'm looking at you).

I don't buy games to line a publishers pockets or feed his/her kids, I buy games to enjoy and i've got kids of my own to worry about so I like a bargain.

Doesn't matter that I can afford the games I want at full price I don't see the point in paying it when I can wait a few weeks and get it for a third of the price.

But people seem to overlook the biggest point of used sales.... And i'm going to put it in bold so someone may see it....

A lot of the time when people buy a used game, they had no intention of paying full price for it anyway. If used sales didn't exist then there are a lot of people who still wouldn't buy those games brand new at full price. Take away used sales and people will still borrow them off friends or wait for prices to drop dramatically before they buy.

Hevva:
56% of American Gamers Don't Buy Games

A new market study has indicated that "swapsies" is the most popular game of 2011.

Although game-sharing isn't a novel concept in any sense, new research conducted by games market research firm Newzoo has shown that games are now more likely to be shared amongst friends and family than to stay with the original user. Consequently, according to Newzoo's report, more than half of the 82 million gamers in the United States don't actually have to spend money on games - and of the 44% who do buy games, 85% of them say they regularly purchase pre-owned titles.

For a quarter of the group who do spend money on games, almost half of their budget goes towards pre-owned titles. In total, the report says, the average American gamer spends 23% of their gaming budget buying pre-owned.

The report then expands on the ballooning DLC market, which is expected to become worth $960 million in US sales alone this year. In total, 12% of the money spent on games in the US goes towards DLC, and Newzoo estimates that American and European gamers combined will spend $1.7 billion on DLC in 2011.

Taken as a whole, this information reads as a primer on why big publishers have developed such a fondness for DLC and online passes in recent years. AAA titles are expensive and it often makes sense for regular gamers to either wait for a new copy to appear in the pre-owned section or just borrow it from a friend - but doing that cuts out any profit for the developers and publishers, unless they add on DLC or see a major boost in early sequel sales. Though many gamers are irritated by "day-one" DLC and the concept of online passes, it's hard to see how publishers can avoid these methods without seeing a marked decrease in their profits.

The whole assumption this article is based on, is false. The assumption is that the stats being provided show a new and increasing phenomenon that is happening. Something that has never happened in the history of video gaming. The new phenomenon of people lending games to their friends or buying them used. Which of course is rubbish. No stats are offered to show that this is even something that has increased and so is a bigger 'problem'.

"now more likely to be shared amongst friends and family than to stay with the original user"
Who says, where are the details about what level swapping was in the past?

"but doing that cuts out any profit for the developers and publishers"
If this is something that has been going on in videogames for a long time, why is it lost profits? That's right it isn't lost profit, it is a lost profit opportunity. An opportunity the industry is trying to brainwash convince or force the consumer into giving them.

This is the point that certainly annoys me about this whole situation. It is not that the publishers are losing anything, it is that they want to change the existing market to one that gives them profits where they would not reasonably have expected it before. Do I blame them, no they are business, it's what they do. Will I shut up complaining about it, hell no. It's just a shame others are quite happy to bend over and happily take the industry changing the market in a way that move the balance of power more in their favour.

I love that renting movies is something that people think almost nothing of, but doing the same with games is the worst sin ever. Or lending a movie to a friend is not questioned but now doing the same with videogames is. The answer is that there is no difference, just the guilt campaign the games industry is trying, to make you feel bad about the latter.

And even though I feel this way most of my games are new.

Normandyfoxtrot:

Madkipz:

Normandyfoxtrot:

Well I don't know about him, but I would simply not develop a game that has such a stupidly-high cost. I would instead take that money, split it up into $10,000,000(or less) divisions, and make 50 smaller, more interesting games with a lower price tag and have a much, much easier and better chance at making a profit.

Guilherme Zoldan:
Five hundred million dollars? Is this guy high?

Normandyfoxtrot:

TheDooD:

Dude, not even Michael Bay movies get budgets this big. Are you nuts?

According to Ea's last major budget report their development costs average around 208million and spend up to 300 million on advertisement, Transformers 3 got 530million just for shooting prior to advertisement.

Irridium:

Normandyfoxtrot:

Madkipz:

Well I don't know about him, but I would simply not develop a game that has such a stupidly-high cost. I would instead take that money, split it up into $10,000,000(or less) divisions, and make 50 smaller, more interesting games with a lower price tag and have a much, much easier and better chance at making a profit.

You wouldn't be making triple A titles anymore just well funded indy titles I don't think what few fans EA or Activision have would be pleased with the direction change.

Mcoffey:
Of course? Why would someone buy new when they can get the same thing for less?

Maybe if game makers didn't charge just shy of a hundred bucks for a six hour diversion they might see more people willing to invest in a new copy.

The customer doesn't owe the publisher or the dev anything. Why should they care about their profit, especially since so many these days seem perfectly happy to screw them?

Fo sho fo sho indeed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or