Pro Gamer Suspended For Saying He Had Sex With a 14-Year-Old

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

FallenMessiah88:
What a load of bullshit.

This just seems like a silly misunderstanding. Either that, or it was just an extremely distasteful joke.

The guy apologized and that should be enough.

AzrealMaximillion:
So when do we start banning online console gamers for saying racial epithets and claiming to rape their opponents?

As soon as we start doing the same thing to online PC gamers. ;-)

But ip bans exist on the PC. Have for a while. Same with the option known /votekick. Point is PC gamers have been able to do it for a long time.

More to the point my comment was more asking the question of when people are just going to get kicked out of games for their language and what they say at all. Not to start a PC vs Console debate where it doesn't need to happen. I just used the word console because, like I said, PC multiplayer games tend to have the option to kick/ban people.

AzrealMaximillion:

FallenMessiah88:
What a load of bullshit.

This just seems like a silly misunderstanding. Either that, or it was just an extremely distasteful joke.

AzrealMaximillion:
So when do we start banning online console gamers for saying racial epithets and claiming to rape their opponents?

But ip bans exist on the PC. Have for a while. Same with the option known /votekick. Point is PC gamers have been able to do it for a long time.

More to the point my comment was more asking the question of when people are just going to get kicked out of games for their language and what they say at all. Not to start a PC vs Console debate where it doesn't need to happen. I just used the word console because, like I said, PC multiplayer games tend to have the option to kick/ban people.

My comment wasn't really about what "anti asshole" measures there exists on consoles and pc's respectively, but more about acknowledging the fact that things like trash talking exits on the pc as well.

FallenMessiah88:

AzrealMaximillion:

FallenMessiah88:
What a load of bullshit.

My comment wasn't really about what "anti asshole" measures there exists on consoles and pc's respectively, but more about acknowledging the fact that things like trash talking exits on the pc as well.

Not disagreeing there. But my response still points out that the PC already has "anti-asshole" measures and has had them for a long while. You're comment came off as saying otherwise.

The Crotch:
4: Someone above mentioned Korea having two television channels dedicated to Starcraft. This is not quite accurate.

Brood War was fucking huge in Korea, but it had been going through a long, slow decline for a while. Competition from new games like League of Legends, the Savior scandal (one of the absolute best players that had ever played the game was caught convincing rising talent to throw games for illegal betting purposes)... shit added up. Two gaming-centric television channels broadcasted Korean Brood War games: OGN and MBC Game. OGN is still around, but MBC Game had to rebrand itself as a music channel.

So why didn't they pick up Starcraft 2 if it's so popular?

Because nobody cares about Starcraft 2 in Korea.

Korea has the best players, but the general public doesn't give a shit about it. And this is problematic, because that means that sponsors can't afford to give a shit about it (with a couple exceptions, of course), so you have all these teams full of incredible talent but absolutely no money. And Europe and North America are full of fans and sponsors and huge-prize-pool tournaments, but so rarely do we produce anyone actually capable of competing with the Koreans.

Your information is out of date. OGN airs SC2 now. The current OnGameNet Star League is an SC2 tournament. The KeSPA proleague last season was a mix of Brood War and SC2. Next season will be SC2 only. CJ Entus still gets money from the rice company of that same name. SK Telecom T1 still gets money from SK Telecom. Woongjin Stars is still sponsored by Woongjin something or other (Group? Chemical company?) And these teams play SC2.

Maybe he meant he abused a 14yr old in the game. Like.. destroyed him. He didnt say anything sexual. "me" did. Pretty big assumption on somebody that doesn't speak english. besides..we all know people that play starcraft don't have time to have sex. :op

FelixG:
A pro-gamer was suspended over hearsay based on something he said in a second language?!

*image snip*

That image summed up my feelings too.

AzrealMaximillion:
Not disagreeing there. But my response still points out that the PC already has "anti-asshole" measures and has had them for a long while. You're comment came off as saying otherwise.

Well, that definetaly wasn't my intention and to me your initial comment came off as saying that only console players act like assholes online. All in all, I think this is all just a misunderstanding.

FallenMessiah88:

AzrealMaximillion:

Well, that definetaly wasn't my intention and to me your initial comment came off as saying that only console players act like assholes online. All in all, I think this is all just a misunderstanding.

I didn't intend that either. Glad we cleared that up with civility.

Seriously, calling a 14 year old a "child" just makes you sound really prudish.

-Samurai-:
The bigger problem is: Why the fuck are people acting like "professional gaming" is a thing?

Professional. Gaming.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

People make hundreds thousands of dollars off of it, and don't do it for fun. How isn't it professional?

Scarim Coral:
Wait wait wait, he actually get paid to be a pro gamer? (Before you asked, I'm not exactly familiar with the whole pro gamer stuff other than you have to be really good at it and compete for it.)

Yep, depending on the team. Stephano is one of the most paid players ever, and the highest I remember is someone who's got 500,000$ across his career, along with not having to pay for housing since they're in a team house.

part of the culture? oh good grief =.= that sure isn't helping the industry

Sheo_Dagana:

Pro gaming isn't a forty hour a week job. There is a difference. They 'work' maybe two or three days a week. Even if they had to train, getting a part time job to supplement your income would be smart.

Also, aren't most of these guys salary? I had read that most 'pro gamers' have a salary-based income, but I could be wrong about that.

Uh, no. Pro gaming is more than a 40 hour a week job. Far, far more. Players of his level generally practice 6+ hours a day, every day. Koreans even more so.

And as for salaries, a lot of players don't. Most koreans get 0$ as salary. Stephano gets a fair bit because his team is one of the bigger ones, but it's still not great compared to most jobs. He gets a lot of his money from tournaments, which he now can't do.

Seanchaidh:

The Crotch:
4: Someone above mentioned Korea having two television channels dedicated to Starcraft. This is not quite accurate.

Brood War was fucking huge in Korea, but it had been going through a long, slow decline for a while. Competition from new games like League of Legends, the Savior scandal (one of the absolute best players that had ever played the game was caught convincing rising talent to throw games for illegal betting purposes)... shit added up. Two gaming-centric television channels broadcasted Korean Brood War games: OGN and MBC Game. OGN is still around, but MBC Game had to rebrand itself as a music channel.

So why didn't they pick up Starcraft 2 if it's so popular?

Because nobody cares about Starcraft 2 in Korea.

Korea has the best players, but the general public doesn't give a shit about it. And this is problematic, because that means that sponsors can't afford to give a shit about it (with a couple exceptions, of course), so you have all these teams full of incredible talent but absolutely no money. And Europe and North America are full of fans and sponsors and huge-prize-pool tournaments, but so rarely do we produce anyone actually capable of competing with the Koreans.

Your information is out of date. OGN airs SC2 now. The current OnGameNet Star League is an SC2 tournament. The KeSPA proleague last season was a mix of Brood War and SC2. Next season will be SC2 only. CJ Entus still gets money from the rice company of that same name. SK Telecom T1 still gets money from SK Telecom. Woongjin Stars is still sponsored by Woongjin something or other (Group? Chemical company?) And these teams play SC2.

Aye, I was trying not to get in to the KeSPA stuff. And I could have mentioned that IM picked up a sponsorship from LG or talked about foreign teams slowly adding on more and more Korean players or a whole bunch of other things.

Not saying it ain't worth mentioning, just that shit was a long post already, yo.

Boy, these type of articles are resembling asspulls more and more, he said something in a chat which is at best unintelligible, let's make an article and paint the guy a rapist and child molestor...

I'd also like to point out that Ages of Consent are different from the standards of the US as you travel the world, from Wikipedia regarding Europe:

Tanakh:

RJ 17:

Tanakh:
No they didn't, not at all. For cheating they won 120k instead of 150k in that round, 30k went to the charity. That was the only penalty.

I'm just repeating what the article told me:

Despite the fine, which covers the prize money Azubu Frost would have received for reaching the semi-finals,

Taken from here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120059-Alleged-League-of-Legends-Cheats-Fined-30-Grand

Isn't that pretty much what I said? I neglected to mention that the 30K went to a charity, but my point was to show the Scarim that people get paid for playing games.

Bolded the part I was contesting. They didn't forfeit the price, just were forced to give a small ammount of the price for that specific match to the charity. My point bing in your wording it seems that they didn't get moeny, when taking all the tournament into account they got $220,000; and even in that specific game they cheated and won $120,000.

Pretty sure I worded it almost exactly how it was worded in the original article, so now you're just being weird because you don't want to admit you're wrong. Oh well, not worth arguing about.

Edit: Wrong for contesting my post, to be specific.

So a guy got suspended for miscommunication error while speaking second language which he clearly had no time to learn seeing as he spent all his time gaming.
And then they wonder why people want to shut down internet. Obviously we came to a point where it is very easy to see internet as a bunch of retarded monkeys.

AzrealMaximillion:

Wait, so your saying that its impossible to ban players from the server on consoles? That sounds like a design flaw that should have been fixed 20 years ago.

Man I must be really missing something because from what I'm seeing Stephano uses broken English and admitted to "abuse" rather than uh.

"rape."

Maybe I'm just really used to hearing the term "abuse" used in extremely sarcastic contexts.

Nothing new, the political correctness police always go around ruining or damaging careers over something insignificant. Unfortunately he's not the only one who gets hit economically when some idiot on the internet gets mad over something someone says.

Has escapist become dumber or something, "I have abused a child". Basically means i beat someone really badly. And child part means that, that personen had the mind of child(because he was stupid) not that it was actually a child.

RJ 17:
Pretty sure I worded it almost exactly how it was worded in the original article, so now you're just being weird because you don't want to admit you're wrong. Oh well, not worth arguing about.

Edit: Wrong for contesting my post, to be specific.

No, I said exactly the same thing in the article, that the wording was missleading. I am just pointing out that "they had to forfit their prize money" sounds like they had to give up 100% of their earnings, when in reality they just forfeited 12% of the total (20% of what they won in that match). The difference is sustantive when citing the issue, and I am not saying that it's wrong, again, jsut that is missleading.

Oh wow, I'm surprised this boiled over to Escapist. Starcraft stuff, especially the pro scene, rarely ever reaches here.

For those of you who don't know, Stephano acts really cocky and seems like a dick sometimes. I doubt he is actually like how he acts, but its hard to say. I've never met the guy and I don't know him, I just know he's the best foreigner in the world. Its impossible to watch any stream without this being brought up, and its really quite annoying. The amount of memes that have been created about this, is staggering.
What actually happened, was Stephano said to Bling, "hey I see you're streaming" and started chatting with him, knowing that he was streaming. He then said that joke (which is obviously a joke) and then said, "oh shit, did your viewers just see that?". So I think Stephano just has a big head and thinks he is invincible. I don't see why he wouldn't, he's the most earningest foreigner in all of SC2, just got signed to the team that pays its players the most, and is one of the few players that koreans respect as far as game knowledge is concerned.

Should Stephano had made that joke? I've made worse jokes when talking with my friends, but Stephano did it on a live stream, did it when he knew it was a live stream. Not only that, Stephano is part of a professional team that has sponsors. The reason this was made into a big deal, is because some people watching decided to turn it into a big deal and spam the sponsors of EG. This forced EG's hand since they couldn't save face with their sponsors when their player is making jokes like that in a live stream. What if he decided to say, "fuck you all!" at a tournament with over 40k viewers?

Finally, the only reason Stephano is still on EG after this mess, is because EG knows how good he is. If he was a lesser player, he would have been dropped like a sack of potatoes, nevermind the fact that he just joined EG not too long ago. I think its funny that when I read this on teamliquid.net, the next thread in the forum was "Stephano goes to Korea!".

So remember kids, joke about 9/11 all you want, but don't do it when someone from New York is in the room.

dunam:

superspartan004:
1. Anyone who knows Stephano shouldn't be surprised

2. I love how the Escapist will only post E-sports stories if they're negative. The only two E-sports stories I have EVER seen on this site were this, and the agreement between the two LOL finals teams at MLG Raleigh 2012 to share the prize money and how they were both DQ'd. That's it. I'm starting to think the Escapist hates Competitive gaming.

Yes, I'm really dissapointed about that. It's such a big part of videogame culture and it gets none of the escapist love.

This. As can be seen by a lot of comments in this thread, pro-gaming isn't well received here on the Escapist. Which is odd considering the large PC user base.

Sheo_Dagana:

shadowslayer81:

Sheo_Dagana:
I forget that 'pro gaming' is a thing because it's a pretty stupid thing.
Oh no! I don't get paid to play video games for three weeks?! Whatever shall I do?!

He just can't go to tournaments, he's still streaming and stuff.
And you have to remember that this is his job.

If you can't work for a month, you would feel the effects.

Pro gaming isn't a forty hour a week job. There is a difference. They 'work' maybe two or three days a week. Even if they had to train, getting a part time job to supplement your income would be smart.

Also, aren't most of these guys salary? I had read that most 'pro gamers' have a salary-based income, but I could be wrong about that.

The general consensus is that progamers need to practice in the realm of 8-10 hours a day to remain competitive. So they actually work more time than your usual 9-5 job.

superspartan004:
1. Anyone who knows Stephano shouldn't be surprised

2. I love how the Escapist will only post E-sports stories if they're negative. The only two E-sports stories I have EVER seen on this site were this, and the agreement between the two LOL finals teams at MLG Raleigh 2012 to share the prize money and how they were both DQ'd. That's it. I'm starting to think the Escapist hates Competitive gaming.

Yes, I'm really dissapointed about that. It's such a big part of videogame culture and it gets none of the escapist love.

I knew this was about Stephano the moment I saw the post. It's just the way he talks all the time. I think it's a slight over reaction, he isn't serious it's just his supposed macho persona. people probaly take this waaaaaaay to serious

Abandon4093:

It was just meant to be a bit of a joke, I know the Koreans take all things Starcraft very seriously.

But I honestly don't get the point of 'pro-gaming'. Gaming is a hobby, a way to wind down, relax, escape or whatever. It's not a profession, and the people that treat it like one baffle me.

I'm curious. Do you get the point of pro-chess? Pro-bridge? The point of being part of professional competition of a game, like basketball or football?

If you do, is it really that big a stretch to understand that people can get enjoyment from watching the competition of a video game and the beautiful high skill that goes with it?

If you don't, fair enough. I understand that gaming is a hobby to you. There are also people for which competitive gaming (the 'competitive' changes the nature somewhat) is a job and a passion and for them gaming isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle, an adventure, a job or whatever. Sometimes they're baffled that people don't get that, but like your experience, that's fine.

I hope that I've provided a valuable glimpse from the other side, for you.

Am I the first one to say "big f**king deal"? The only stupid thing here is that they'd suspend a good player for one offhand comment and jeopardise their chances of winning. The real scandal is that these people are so paranoid of any slights to their reputation. MLG is a sham, but not because of the players.

MammothBlade:
Am I the first one to say "big f**king deal"? The only stupid thing here is that they'd suspend a good player for one offhand comment and jeopardise their chances of winning. The real scandal is that these people are so paranoid of any slights to their reputation. MLG is a sham, but not because of the players.

I can understanding believing "It's no big deal.". But you also have to remember, these players are mostly getting paid, by people that don't want to be affiliated with assault on children. It's like saying that Tiger Wood's exploits were no big deal either since every other guy does it too.

Zachary Amaranth:
He couldn't have just stopped at the "I just had sex with your mum" line like everyone else?

Yeah well, that one was done by Shakespeare already, so I suppose he might have thought it got a tad old.

Joking aside, that's just a retarded thing to even joke about. Suspension well deserved.

Indeed. He's not suspended for having sex with a 14-year-old. He's suspended for not knowing when to shut his cakehole. If I did that at work my bosses would call it "bringing the organisation into disrepute" and I'd get worse than a 1-month suspension.

dunam:

Abandon4093:

It was just meant to be a bit of a joke, I know the Koreans take all things Starcraft very seriously.

But I honestly don't get the point of 'pro-gaming'. Gaming is a hobby, a way to wind down, relax, escape or whatever. It's not a profession, and the people that treat it like one baffle me.

I'm curious. Do you get the point of pro-chess? Pro-bridge? The point of being part of professional competition of a game, like basketball or football?

If you do, is it really that big a stretch to understand that people can get enjoyment from watching the competition of a video game and the beautiful high skill that goes with it?

If you don't, fair enough. I understand that gaming is a hobby to you. There are also people for which competitive gaming (the 'competitive' changes the nature somewhat) is a job and a passion and for them gaming isn't a hobby, it's a lifestyle, an adventure, a job or whatever. Sometimes they're baffled that people don't get that, but like your experience, that's fine.

I hope that I've provided a valuable glimpse from the other side, for you.

No, like I said earlier. I don't get pro sports because it relies on people to religiously watch them.

I certainly get playing each of those activities you mentioned, but the fact that people watch them baffles me.

General Twinkletoes:

-Samurai-:
The bigger problem is: Why the fuck are people acting like "professional gaming" is a thing?

Professional. Gaming.
Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

People make hundreds thousands of dollars off of it, and don't do it for fun. How isn't it professional?

Well, shit. If all you have to do to be considered a professional at something is make money from it, and not enjoy it, I guess I'm a professional in the fields of lawn care, dish washing, home repair, snow shoveling, and thousands of other things.

BrotherRool:
snip

No. This man is not a comedian, and nor is this his 'spare time.' This was streamed live to an audience of people who may or may not consider him a role model. If he's saying this kind of shit in a live situation then he should have his position removed.

Seriously, I don't even understand why people like these jokes. Shock value is so fucking redundant. People say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but I'm pretty sure they're forgetting about Frankie Boyle.

Wonder if EG just wanted an excuse to send Stephano to Korea? xD
Afaik Stephano just made a failed joke to a friend of whom he didn't know was streaming at the time

(source)
http://i.imgur.com/h8LYF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sGxUY.jpg

Ryank1908:
People say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

That's because they confuse pretentious assholery with sarcasm, truly. I mean, there was nothing sarcastic about this scene. Nothing at all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here