Valve Boasts That Any Three Employees Can Ship Any Game

Pages PREV 1 2

Vigormortis:
snip

I don't know. Wouldn't Metrodvania style mess with the narrative pacing? When I think of single player Valve games, I think of fine narrative pacing with linear gameplay.

bafrali:

Vigormortis:
snip

I don't know. Wouldn't Metrodvania style mess with the narrative pacing? When I think of single player Valve games, I think of fine narrative pacing with linear gameplay.

True. But consider, in each of those games, how much of the narrative was told through level design and environmental "clues". Now apply that same design philosophy to a game like Metroid.

I don't know about anyone else, but the potential within that excites me. But again, I doubt we'll ever see something like that. At least, not from Valve.

Still, I think we can all agree that there's too much of a dearth of good side-scrollers now-a-days. We have a few. Rayman Origins, Deadlight, Shadow Complex, etc. But for the most part, a vast majority of the contemporary side-scrollers are, at best, derivative, and at worst, awful.

Anybody else getting the feeling that this is the same sort of hubris that happens right before a nation/country/empire/company collapses.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here