Feeling Bad for Someone Makes You Less Smart

Pages PREV 1 2

I call bullshit, I'm perfectly capable of empathising with a person whilst working out possible reasons for them being in whatever situation they're in and how it could feasibly effect me.

Also that's a pretty small study, with poor diversity. They're all in university, they're all in problem solving mode by default. Especially if we're to beleive the implication that they're probably all physics students.

When you're working out a physics question you don't need to use your emotions, so the part of your brain that deals with that isn't likely to be buzzing with activity. That doesn't mean that the side of your brain that deals with logic can't function when the side of you brain that deals with emotions is active or vice-versa. It just means in most situations you don't need them to both be active at the same time.

This research is bad and they should feel bad for wasting peoples time.

Earthmonger:
Greg, quit thinking of game development as a 9-5 job; it isn't. It's contract work. You don't keep a roofer on your payroll for a few months after he's finished your new roof. If a problem arises, you call him in again, then he's off to some other contract.

Actually, wouldn't it be nice if game devs were held responsible for their work in much the same way as a roofer?

It's contract work if you're on a contact. Otherwise it's full time employment.

Treating full time employees as disposable contract workers is a vile practice and you shouldn't be defending it.

Huh!

I'M A FREAKIN' GENIUS!

I don't feel much empathy for people I cannot help. Call me evil but when I see a disaster strike a foreign land, I simply shrug. Sure, I send money to help but that's a long shot. How do you know your money IS getting there? There's a whole other aspect of trust in strangers involved.
At the same time, if I see a perfectly healthy hobo down the street, I don't feel bad. As an immigrant that comes from a country where getting a job is tough, I...just don't feel bad for them. Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

Anyway, I do feel empathy when I'm close to the person and I know there's something I can do to help.

>dat title

I bet that if an article says that global warming was 10% lower than predicted, the title will be "NO GLOBAL WARMING IN THE LAST 10 YEARS" or "10% CHANCE OF GLOBAL WARMING BEING A FRAUD".

Earthmonger:
Greg, quit thinking of game development as a 9-5 job; it isn't. It's contract work. You don't keep a roofer on your payroll for a few months after he's finished your new roof. If a problem arises, you call him in again, then he's off to some other contract.

Actually, wouldn't it be nice if game devs were held responsible for their work in much the same way as a roofer?

So game developers feel bad for roofers and get scammed?

I always knew empathy was a weakness!

Nothing new but good to have another experiment based ocnfirmation.
So, how do i shut down my emotional part, because sometimes it is still active. i underline - sometimes.
also emotions does not equal morals. greed is emotion. as the article points out, studios lay off half of the workforce when the item is gone. thats the emotional side, not analytical. emotional says: lay off workers you get moneyz. analytical says: keep wrokers, you get less money but they will be able to support the game and attract a loyal audience.
Emotional side does not analyze, and therefore is shortsighted. emotions were the cause of all the worst disasters of human kind. we would be better off without them. There is a reason robots are efficient. emotions makes us inefficient.

Sure, I send money to help but that's a long shot. How do you know your money IS getting there? There's a whole other aspect of trust in strangers involved.

you send money, your emotional side wins, you get scammed. you jut proved the point of this article.

Awesome. I rarely feel bad for people online, so this is just a bonus.

I'm much more sympathetic in real life.

EDIT:

Captcha: DISCO BEAR - and it even had the bear with an afro!

zz_:
Idk about this, I mean the study seems half-arsed at best. 45 subjects, and the test was strictly divided (as in, a question about emotions had nothing to do with logic, vice versa) which means that it's not really very surprising that the half of your brain that isn't being used "shuts down".

I mean, why WOULD the emotional half be active while you're solving an equation?
The only way to prove that they in some way inhibit eachother would be to have scenarios/questions where you would be forced to use both halves at once, and I don't think it's easy to do that under controlled circumstances.

Exactly. 45 is nothing and the test itself is poorly designed.
But hey, it's a 'study', so it's science, right?

So Mitt Romney is in line to get into Mensa then?

What is this, New Scientist? With all respects, I don't think this is the sort of article which is relevant to gaming, entertainment, or technology, except for the loose reference to gaming CEOs at the end. Must be a slow news day, oh well.

Piorn:
I love how everyone can grab an idea in neurological research and twist it into a single, sensational fact.

Also, is that "We're only using 10% of our brain" thing still around?

well technically we are
thats becaue ahem

your body cant do a bajillion things at once hence it only uses 10 percent, if our bodies were amorphous masses or like big bunches of data like a cpu or something we would be using alot more of it

we can only do so much stuff, with the limited amount of apendeges, and sensory organs we have. along with alot of the function of the brain is subconscious and if you were to use other stuff, things would stop functioning. an example would be the fact that you can see 300 frames per seconds, but a lot of the other functioning in your body stops when that happens, you ever see scared people just stand or run with with no though behind it, or when people say they saw something and while they were standing there it went in slow motion, that's why. it happens with little things too, when you sneeze most brain/body functioning stops.

but back on topic,
there are alot of stupid smart people then

sorry Einstein

I would respond with a joke, but that is an emotional response... I no long will have emotions... beep boop beep, live long and proper, ect.

Greg Tito:

Someone tell that to the next games publisher who lays off half a studio after it ships a successful game.

Source: Eureka Alert

the next games publisher who lays off half a studio after it ships a successful game.

Source: Eureka Alert

games publisher who lays off half a studio

Source: Eureka A

games publisher

Source: E A

Am I just looking too much into this?

...I am, aren't I...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or