Humble THQ Bundle Waves Bye-Bye to Indie - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I paid 20$ for all these game 10$ to charity, 5$ THQ and 5$ to Tip. Even though I could only use Red Faction and Darksiders (+ I wanted the legit soundtracks). Also that was all the money I had left for this month.

I don't give a toss if they are THQ or not indie. Selling these games for 1$ from THQ is brave move and humble - and isn't that the point of "HUMBLE"-bundle"? They took the risk of greedy people ripping them off from their real value - thats more humility than I can ask from most companies. And also that much faith on their customers should be rewarded. And different steam trading forums have already filled with "Trading these gift keys for X-Hats/Dota item... You name it" That is cheap in my opinion.

This bundle revived THQ's image in my eyes.

I've always figured the most important part of the Humble Bundle's was the charity, so I don't really have a beef with this new deal, it's pretty fair enough I figure.

I tossed 15$ into that deal, and I still feel like Karma's frowning upon me. :(

I already have CoH and my Laptop cant even run Metro or Darksiders, but I still bought it for $10, with $1 going as humble tip.
I don't know why I would want any of that money going to lazy kids who lay in bed all day, its not like they live in China and make the discs for those games anyway.

beastro:

crepesack :
purchased! I hope THQ doesn't get burned but really, they aren't really losing any sales. The people who would have bought these games already bought them and those that weren't buying will only buy them now.

Ummm, no.

Only game I have on the list is Metro. The rest I'm not exactly interested in, but for the $6 I gave them I'm happy I now have some more games to add to my "bored of everything else, let's try ____" list which is where most Humble Bundle games I buy go to.

None of those games, save Metro, I'd have paid anything more for individually.

THQ is on the ropes. And this is as close to a "Please, customers, save us" as I've ever seen.

IMO, it's not that, it's a clearance sale and a last grab for whatever money they can get before it goes under.

You realize you just reaffirmed my point right?

Denamic:
It's amazing how hard people try to be contrarian sometimes.
5 great AAA games and 2 expansions for one of them for the price of whatever? No, that's fucking terrible.

Indeed.
What's there not to love about this deal?
I guess people will always find something to complain about.

I donated $10, and that is a pretty sweet deal for all those games (even if I did have Metro 2033 from before).

I hope THQ makes it trough this rough patch.

Yes, damn them for giving money to charity! DAMN YOU HUMBLE BUNDLE!

I have a feeling they're going to add in even more games. If they do, I hope they chuck in the Warhammer 40,000 games.

"....average price is $5.58......"

damn. what a bunch of cheapskates.....

Keep your eye on your GPU temps folks, titan quest has a serious problem of burning up video cards, and I don't think they ever addressed it.

Irridium:
Not really "indie."

We know. Is anyone saying otherwise? The title of the article says it, the article says it, and the Humble Bundle at least implies it with the lack of "indie" anywhere in the promotion.

Oh, sweet. I loved Titan Quest, played through it over a dozen times, I still come back to it every summer for some reason I can't really explain. If THQ ever feel the need to make, say, a game with the same class system (which in my opinion is way, way better than the one conventional Diablo knockoffs and Diablo games themselves use), I'm totally buying it. Maybe a norse mythology-themed game in the same setting? Norse mythology is also pretty awesome, yet there aren't many games that embrace it fully. In fact, all I can think of is a ton of JRPGs that borrow some concepts and names and Too Human.

In fact, sat whatever you want about Too Human (it probably deserves all the panning), but I still think that crossing over norse legends with cyberpunk is kind of kickass.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Keep your eye on your GPU temps folks, titan quest has a serious problem of burning up video cards, and I don't think they ever addressed it.

I was just reading up on the game, since I couldn't remember it. Apparently they did address that issue.

You actually don't have to pay the average to get Titan Quest and the Armageddon DLC. You ought to, but you don't have to.

Signa:

ritchards:
SR3 means I grabbed this... but I always say 'give all my monies to the charity'...

Charity, THQ, same thing, right?

Well, not really. giving money to charity might actually do some good.

Scow2:

DVS BSTrD:
I would have thought they wanted to reward us for going over the average :P
Having all the titles from a major developer isn't exactly humble, but then again this IS THQ

Swallowing and selling them for "Whatever you care to pay" certainly IS humble, though. Unfortunately... I'd feel bad if I offered what I could afford for them... they deserve more :(.

Every little bit helps :)

ResonanceSD:
Well, not really. giving money to charity might actually do some good.

I don't understand this mindset. At all. You have a company that has published great titles, and now, in a time of need for desperate measures, is pretty much giving them away, ALONG WITH BONUSES, benefiting you and them at the same time, along with charity and the HB team...

So,you want to stick it to them?

Why? Because of Steam DRM? It's six fucking dollars. LESS than six dollars. I pay more for walnuts at the grocery store and they last less than a week.

Aww now Titan quest too? I would be throwing money at this but I just bought a 300$ graphics card so I could actually get decent performance and now I have no money for games.
Pc gaming everyone

No TQ expansion yet? I hope the throw that in too. Immortal Throne basically brought TQ from the game you played for a change of pace from D2 while waiting for D3, to the game that is what D3 should have been.

Titan Quest? I bought it and got everything, including Red Faction, which was bonus. Did not receive Titan Quest. Is something wrong here?

EDIT: So i checked the web-page and i actually do have Titan Quest and a DLC for Red Faction available. In my defense, i bought the bundle many days ago and they must have added those later.

Yellowfish:
Oh, sweet. I loved Titan Quest, played through it over a dozen times, I still come back to it every summer for some reason I can't really explain. If THQ ever feel the need to make, say, a game with the same class system (which in my opinion is way, way better than the one conventional Diablo knockoffs and Diablo games themselves use), I'm totally buying it. Maybe a norse mythology-themed game in the same setting? Norse mythology is also pretty awesome, yet there aren't many games that embrace it fully. In fact, all I can think of is a ton of JRPGs that borrow some concepts and names and Too Human.

In fact, sat whatever you want about Too Human (it probably deserves all the panning), but I still think that crossing over norse legends with cyberpunk is kind of kickass.

well i cant give you norse + cyberpunk but i can give you "Victorian era, fantasy action role-playing" http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn made using the titan quest engine as a basis, quite a few of the people on board for it who worked on titan quest, a game they have been working on for a while. yes im excited for it :D

ontopic.

it was a pleasant suprise when i checked my email today and realised the bundle had grown by two :) kind of makes up for the otherwise shitty morning ive had so far

CrossLOPER:

So,you want to stick it to them?

because of dark "we ripped off zelda" siders, 1& 2, because of Space Marine, because of this list of licensed mediocre stocking-stuffer crap that no one asked for or needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

Games are a business, let the publishers die, the good devs will be picked up by a company that doesn't waste it's time making Cars for the X360.

ResonanceSD:

because of dark "we ripped off zelda" siders

1/10 got me to respond.

CrossLOPER:

I don't understand this mindset. At all. You have a company that has published great titles, and now, in a time of need for desperate measures, is pretty much giving them away, ALONG WITH BONUSES, benefiting you and them at the same time, along with charity and the HB team...

Of course, RSD was suppportive of charity actually doing some good. But you have a company famous for shovelware and tie-ins that has crashed in no small part due to that concept, which is exactly how business is supposed to work.

Why? Because of Steam DRM?

See, he already gave a face value response. Why did you have to add concepts when it was, at face value, aimed at THQ?

It's six fucking dollars. LESS than six dollars. I pay more for walnuts at the grocery store and they last less than a week.

So what? What obligation is there to help them out?

Also, at last count, they'd need seven times the current total for the HB to offset their massive losses. This is a drop in the bucket and unlikely to benefit them, especially since they still have to restore consumer and investor confidence. This may do one, but a fire sale is likely to have the opposite effect on the other.

And for the record, I paid ten bucks. Don't jump to conclusions with me like you did with RSD, please.

Got it. I'm particularly interested in Metro 2033 and Darksiders. While I'm no fan of Steam, getting those games for such a low price is certainly enough to overcome that dislike. However, I must say that THQ probably won't earn much from me. While I always beat the average by a margin, I give the vast majority of the money to the charities. I don't know how other people distribute their money, though.

*Buys* Yay! ^_____^

I have been wanting Saints Row and that makes it worth it alone. The other games are just an added bonus. :3

Zachary Amaranth:

So what? What obligation is there to help them out?

I'm not defending THQ. However, this HURR DURR I GAV 2 CHAIR IT EE self-congratulatory cheeky nonsense for reason xyz (not out of actual concern for those the charity is running for) is predictable bullshit.

Well enjoy the dollar, because a dollar's just what you need, hey hey! (To the humble guys, of course)

THQ's new anthem

Christ I'm witty.

BUT YES THQ, YOU DID REAP WHAT YOU DONE SOW.

And yes, everything around you is indeed, crumblin' down.

A week back I paid $15, gave $13 to THQ and $1 to each charity. I kind of want those new bonuses over the one I got, Saints the third, because I already have Saints for the Xbox and my computer probably can't handle that game at all.

ResonanceSD:

THQ's new anthem

Christ I'm witty.

I very much enjoyed this song. It's a good way to start the morning.

Scow2:

DVS BSTrD:
I would have thought they wanted to reward us for going over the average :P
Having all the titles from a major developer isn't exactly humble, but then again this IS THQ

Swallowing and selling them for "Whatever you care to pay" certainly IS humble, though. Unfortunately... I'd feel bad if I offered what I could afford for them... they deserve more :(.

Don't worry about it - it's how "pay what you want" model works. If you look at top contributors, you'll see people paying upwards of a thousand dollars for the bundle. In the end, you're giving money to charity (or to the developers, or to the guys organising the charity). Give for a good cause. And if you feel bad taking the games... well give them to someone else. I got friends some games with Humble Bundle cause I wanted them to play it and any help for charity's always welcome, right? :)

Davroth:
Windows only again. Meh.

Why do I even get excited anymore when I see a new Humble Bundle?

Thats what you get for being one of the lesser races. Filthy mac and linux offal get what we feel generous enough to hand down to them and will like it! :P

Couple things, I am very disappointed with the people buying this bundle, I paid over the average back when it was 5.73[I only really wanted metro but I feel generous when they give me the option to pay what I want] and the average has sunken massively since then. I know there are alot of people that give generously or at the very least like to meet the average, but that only means that there are so many scrubs paying the bare minimum just to get away with it that it makes me sad. I love the humble bundle and what they do on all sides of the coin<charity, promotion, spreading gaming culture to people that would not get them normally> and once again, I'm ashamed to be human.

Secondly, yes, they are steam only, these are AAA games, they are HUGE and humblebundle is humble, they can't afford to keep servers that upload these large files up at all times, I was glad that they hosted the soundtracks[but the saintsrow one is disappointing.... I remember alot of good music in that game so why is the soundtrack so terrible?] so it makes sense considering that they are offering steam codes anyways to let steam handle the load. The cross platforms thing is kinda sad but considering the scale of these games, making them cross-platform would be a expensive undertaking and denying a humble bundle because of that seems like it would be hurting the players more by denying it to everyone.

I like that a nonindy bundle showed up, while I doubt it was a sign of human compassion by a corporation<they are all evil> its nice PR and a boost in sales while providing all the normal benefits of the bundle. Though titans quest being added is lame.... atleast put the expansion in with it.... I own both and the main game is almost unplayable without the expansion in my opinion.

Ham Blitz:
A week back I paid $15, gave $13 to THQ and $1 to each charity. I kind of want those new bonuses over the one I got, Saints the third, because I already have Saints for the Xbox and my computer probably can't handle that game at all.

The new offer is retroactive; anyone who's already given money can get it. Check out your old order and you'll find new steam codes to redeem.

Maybe if they sell enough they can fix darksiders 2. The game that could of saved them if it wasn't such a bug pit o sh**.

ResonanceSD:
BUT YES THQ, YOU DID REAP WHAT YOU DONE SOW.

And yes, everything around you is indeed, crumblin' down.

Did they wrong you somehow? I can understand not liking their games, but jeez. Seems like you have an axe to grind. They may have made some bad business decisions, or some things just may not have worked in their favor, but now they're reaping what they sow? Like it's a kind of divine justice? If that's the case, what about EA or Activison? What do they deserve and why don't they reap what they sow?

They have made some decent games and don't treat their consumers like crap the way EA and Activision do. I dontated $30, $10 to each part. It's what I could afford and feel they deserve it.

Wow, this bundle just got even better. They just added the Game of the Year edition of Dawn of War to this, which is pretty much the best 40K game ever and really awesome RTS to boot. This might not be Indie, but it sure is Humble. Good show THQ.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here