Grand Theft Auto V "Upset" Hideo Kojima

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Vrach:

Yeah, yeah, I got the joke, but I figured there was still a nugget of opinion there, and as you've said, you did like SR3 more than GTA IV, which was the point of my argument. I never got to try co-op in either game (I actually bought my friend copies of GTA IV and SR2 to that end and he's still to date never played it with me :( ), so I can't judge it on that point (if GTA V offers a 3 player full story co-op though, I'll get him the game and myself a quality bat... :P )

I was just disappointed with SR3 a lot because I loved SR2 for it's scope and all the things you could do. As I said before, I've played the game for countless hours and reinstalled it several times to play through it again, both for the story missions and the general screwing around potential afterwards. SR3... as soon as I was done with the story, and I was half-bored through most of it as well, I was done with it. I tried playing around in the open world, but it felt soulless and empty, nothing like SR2.

If GTA 5 does come with quality co-op in the story and game in general, that will likely help my interest a good deal. SR 3 probably spoiled me to that extent, because you can play through the entire storyline co-op and it makes dealing with the over-the-top shenanigans more... palpable I guess? Personally the generally high level of insanity never bothered me because I knew it was there in the first place. It was great for mindless fun with a friend.

And it's really for me not to enjoy driving around in an 8-bit/Tron styled tank...

I do get your point though. After beating SR 3, I haven't really come back to the game despite having some things left to do in and about it. Though that could also be partially blamed on a huge backlog of other games I have I've been playing through too.

And I'm not up to date on the whole Aliens thing, so sorry for speaking out of my arse there. I did hear about the fiasco, but didn't delve too deep into it, the game never interested me. Still, I think Rockstar's a very reputable company and I think they're above fucking up like that. This is their star franchise too, to pull something like that... it'd ruin their reputation for good and GTA games aren't your annual bullshit releases. So, while I understand your skepticism (not just because of Aliens, it's generally wiser to be skeptical of advertisement), I believe they can and will pull off what they're promising, partly because they've done it before and most of it is polish (aside from the three protagonist's thing, still waiting to see how that goes, but I do have a good feeling about it for now).

Ahh, I think it's more surprising there are people who haven't delved into it, simply because of the kind of uproar the whole fiasco caused once the game came out. The game didn't really interest me either, but having a previously mostly reputable developer sinking to such a low like that was surprising. Gearbox's only real flop before Aliens was Duke Nukem Forever, and that was mostly due to archaic and poor design, on top of them refusing to fix or alter anything once they got a hold of it. So to have them make claims about working on it mostly in-house, for a period of time so long it even predates the original Borderlands, only to show they really only did the multi-player and completely outsourced single-player is well... shady as fuck.

Hopefully Rockstar won't pull such an act though, yet I'm also not going to assume they'll always be above it. While they didn't develop it, L.A. Noire was published by them and had a pretty sordid past in terms of its development as well. To be fair though, those very same claims also highlighted Rockstar as the better side of it all.

As for JC2, no argument there, it's a brilliant game with tremendous open world potential. Only thing I hated about it was how easy it was to shake off cops. After I was done with the story, I wanted to do a lot of high speed chases across the map, but they're so easy to lose, even at the highest level, that I'd literally have to be driving like a granny to keep them on my tail >.<

I've probably sunk 10-15 hours at the very least into it so far, and maybe an hour or two of that at most was spent on story. The easiest way for me to judge if I'm having fun in an open-world game is how easily it distracts me, and there JC2 definitely delivers.
And personally, I've never been a "high-speed chase" type. I'm more of high-speed demolition, and demolition is something they have... =D
Not quite like Red Faction: Guerrilla's destruction, but still quite fun!

About a month ago this story was "Kojima is impressed with GTAV" and now it's "Kojima is worried that GTAV will out perform him"? It even uses the same quotes if I remember rightly.

I guess this is how spin doctors work as well.

cursedseishi:
And personally, I've never been a "high-speed chase" type. I'm more of high-speed demolition, and demolition is something they have... =D
Not quite like Red Faction: Guerrilla's destruction, but still quite fun!

You know the first mission in JC2 (later part of it)? Where the guy you're supposed to save drives you while you stand on the roof and take out the incoming cars? The moment I saw that scene, I was in love with the game. Then, I realised that not only is there not a single mission that has that :(

I kinda wanted to create something similar, get myself a high wanted level and have the cops chase me while I switch between high-speed driving and jumping on the roof to take them out (mostly using the hook shot, I love rubber banding cars). Sadly, it's so ridiculously easy to lose them, it's near impossible to set up and feel real. I also wanted to jump on an airplane and have them try to take me down, but they just can't keep up with any aircraft at all. Which is a shame, because rubber banding planes is one of the most wonderful things to do in that game :P

StewShearer:

Grand Theft Auto V screen detail

Hideo Kojima worries that Metal Gear Solid V won't be as good as Grand Theft Auto V

Much ado has been made recently about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain embracing and integrating open world mechanics into its story and gameplay. If all goes to plan, The Phantom Pain should give players an entirely new level of choice in how they sneak through enemy territory. Even with the new game already looking fairly impressive however, series creator Hideo Kojima can't help but feel a little bummed out on account of Grand Theft Auto V apparently looking better.

"I saw the new trailer for Grand Theft Auto V," said Kojima in a recent Twitter post. "It was amazing, so awesome. The degree of freedom-it's the future of games! It's on a different level than other games. But honestly, I'm upset. I can't see our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.' But Rockstar's production team is the best. Make no mistake, they increase what's possible with games" We'll grant Kojima the fact that GTA V will probably outperform The Phantom Pain in terms of units sold. GTA IV, for instance, managed to sell six million copies in its first week while it would take several years for Metal Gear Solid IV to squeak past the five million mark.

That being the case, even with Metal Gear Solid V adopting a more open world style of gameplay, it might not be the fairest of comparisons. Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear offer different experiences and GTA just happens to have a wider reach than Kojima's franchise. Now, it's obvious that Mr. Kojima's comments are meant more to praise Rockstar than to belittle his own studio's efforts. That said, the man would still do well not to sell his own game short.

Source: Gematsu

besides the fact GTA is multiplatform, all i take from this is:

WAAAAH WAAAHHH MY GAME WONT SELL AS GOOD WAAAH WAAAHHH!!!! WHERES MY BOTTLE!?

Jegsimmons:

StewShearer:

Grand Theft Auto V screen detail

Hideo Kojima worries that Metal Gear Solid V won't be as good as Grand Theft Auto V

Much ado has been made recently about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain embracing and integrating open world mechanics into its story and gameplay. If all goes to plan, The Phantom Pain should give players an entirely new level of choice in how they sneak through enemy territory. Even with the new game already looking fairly impressive however, series creator Hideo Kojima can't help but feel a little bummed out on account of Grand Theft Auto V apparently looking better.

"I saw the new trailer for Grand Theft Auto V," said Kojima in a recent Twitter post. "It was amazing, so awesome. The degree of freedom-it's the future of games! It's on a different level than other games. But honestly, I'm upset. I can't see our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.' But Rockstar's production team is the best. Make no mistake, they increase what's possible with games" We'll grant Kojima the fact that GTA V will probably outperform The Phantom Pain in terms of units sold. GTA IV, for instance, managed to sell six million copies in its first week while it would take several years for Metal Gear Solid IV to squeak past the five million mark.

That being the case, even with Metal Gear Solid V adopting a more open world style of gameplay, it might not be the fairest of comparisons. Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear offer different experiences and GTA just happens to have a wider reach than Kojima's franchise. Now, it's obvious that Mr. Kojima's comments are meant more to praise Rockstar than to belittle his own studio's efforts. That said, the man would still do well not to sell his own game short.

Source: Gematsu

I guess you missed that who part where he said "It was amazing, so awesome. The degree of freedom-it's the future of games! It's on a different level than other games." He's complimenting another game. What's the issue?

Wow he talks like a human being! Unique amongst AAA devs. Although I don't think his audience overlaps with the GTA market a whole bunch.

So excited for both of these games. And Kojima is just such a fun guy, what other big developer would make these kinds of statements? It's a good year for games, I think, minus all the console bullshittery that's going on.

Of course a game which is all about open-world antics and has been since its inception is likely to do that better than a game which is supposed to be about stealth with modest exploration. That's just my cynical take on it. Hideo, this is your make-or-break chance to do a good open world stealth game. Don't try to be just like GTA, make MGS V into its own combination of open-world and stealth. And that's all there is to it. I look forward to playing both games nonetheless, they should be exciting in their own ways.

I really don't think people look to the Metal Gear Solid franchise to be the pinnacle of open world gameplay. Perhaps it's more important to get the stealth and story parts right.

OlasDAlmighty:
I really don't think people look to the Metal Gear Solid franchise to be the pinnacle of open world gameplay. Perhaps it's more important to get the stealth and story parts right.

Exactly, and GTA is one of the kings of sandbox cities. I'm really not looking at my wallet and thinking, GTA 5 or MGS 5. Is he upset because they have the same numbers in the name? Otherwise, I wouldn't associate the two at all.

Jegsimmons:

MGS 5 is also going multi-platform this time around.

I think it shows maturity to look at other people's work and to be able to criticize your own in comparison. I just think this is a weird game to look at unless they're drastically changing the nature of MGS games which is possible. Even so, it certainly wouldn't be the same flavor of humor that GTA offers or I'd consider it a different IP altogether.

Jegsimmons:

I think he's just being humble, since the Metal Gear series has made enough money to start a small nation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here