Your most disappointing game experiences

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

MrShowerHead:
I want to keep this as short as possible:

Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising

Thank you

This, this stupid ass game was garbage

Pokemon Diamond.

I was expecting another great pokemon game.

What I got was a sluggishly groggy waste of time.

Yea, Dragon Rising had my hopes up too from following all the pre release bs hype.

I'd have to say Oblivion because it seemed really cool at the very beginning but just got worse and worse the more you played it and learned about it.

Dragon Age 2 i knew was gonna be shit before it even came out.

GonzoGamer:

Fallout New Vegas
Loved Fallout 3 and thought that maybe they could've tightened it up technically. But the bare bones version crashed more often than Fallout 3 loaded up with all the dlc. I've never had a ps3 game freeze up on me that much and it's the Only ps3 game that has ever CTDed on me.

I absolutely agree. It's one of my very favorite games, but it's also the one game that keeps freezing and crashing my PS3... I love it so much, but it doesn't seem to love me back. those 150 hours I spent on the Mojave, all the DLC I bought (all of them), they apparently mean nothing... I'm so sorry... come back to me!

by far the most disappointing game was WWF RAW for the PC especially coming off the amazing N64 wrestling games, the PC game should have been far better but it was sooooo bad
http://www.multiplayerreviews.com/gamepage?id=12093&game=WWE_Raw&review=1

Iwata:

GonzoGamer:

Fallout New Vegas
Loved Fallout 3 and thought that maybe they could've tightened it up technically. But the bare bones version crashed more often than Fallout 3 loaded up with all the dlc. I've never had a ps3 game freeze up on me that much and it's the Only ps3 game that has ever CTDed on me.

I absolutely agree. It's one of my very favorite games, but it's also the one game that keeps freezing and crashing my PS3... I love it so much, but it doesn't seem to love me back. those 150 hours I spent on the Mojave, all the DLC I bought (all of them), they apparently mean nothing... I'm so sorry... come back to me!

When that 'big patch' they released half a year after launch didn't fix the freezing, I pretty much gave up on it. At some point I'll pick up goty for the pc because the modders can get it running but I'll never buy a console release of a Bethesda game ever again...especially not a ps3 version.

GonzoGamer:

Iwata:

GonzoGamer:

Fallout New Vegas

When that 'big patch' they released half a year after launch didn't fix the freezing, I pretty much gave up on it. At some point I'll pick up goty for the pc because the modders can get it running but I'll never buy a console release of a Bethesda game ever again...especially not a ps3 version.

I bought Skyrim for the PS3. That crashed even faster.

Iwata:

GonzoGamer:

Iwata:

I bought Skyrim for the PS3. That crashed even faster.

I think enough people bought Skyrim (PS3) that the playstation version of Fallout 4 will crash even faster than that.

L.A Noire was pretty disappointing for me , I expected better , but I felt like I could barely do anything in the game and the ending sucked (for me)

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

I fucking loved Abe's Oddysee and Exodus, and Munch would be the first 3D Oddworld game, so my imagination was going overtime. The first footage looked amazing as well, when it was still set to be released on the PS2.

How far the mighty had fallen.

Guild Wars 2.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No, Skyrim.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

In al seriousness, probably Dark Souls. Mainly because so many people have a platonic love and devotion for that game, and all I found was a mediocre Metroidvania made out of sheer pretension.

Fallout NV - I picked up Fallout NV during a sale at GAME.co.uk for about £20, i was expecting to enjoy its story, side quests weapons and scenery. Never before have i played a more bland/boring game. I didnt even finish the story! I killed the guy that shot me at the start (eventually!) and i just got so incredibly bored and sold it.

Last rebellion my experience with this game can be described with this picture

L.A. Noire: I've always been on the fence in terms of my enjoyment of adventure games. Having to participate in sandbox filler material in order to get at the adventure game bits certainly wasn't helping any.

Demon's Souls: Okay, after spending more time with Chunsoft titles than I feel comfortable admitting, maybe I got my hopes up that a JRPG could get the roguelike experience right. And if you define "roguelike" as "annoyingly frequent player deaths even after wasting hours of your life memorizing the wiki," then yes, Demon's Souls is a success.

Alpha Protocol: Do yourself a favor. If the thought of a spy-themed action RPG catches your interest, download the abandonware title Covert Action instead. Yes, the game that Sid Meier has all but disowned. You'll still have more fun than you will with Alpha Protocol.

Dead Island: Congratulations, Techland. You've devised a program to help even the most hopeless of loot grind addicts on the path to recovery. The problem? You're still convinced that this is a "game."

Alan Wake we were promised this scary horror game that wasn't scary. Actually it was kinda boring with plot points told before they happened and some of the easiest monsters you'll ever fight in a horror game. To me at least they took a great scary concept and made as boring as possible.

This thread can only end well right?

The Witcher, that game, oh dear god.

I had high hopes, it's endlessly praised by a lot of people, seemed like it had a strong story, it seemed perfect.

Then I ran into this.

"Hold down the attack button until you see the edge of your sword glow red, then click the attack button again"

Reaction: Fucking seriously?

Overall, I could barely get through 30 minutes of it, the combat was SO BAD that I couldn't play that much more of it. Oh, and Gerald or Geralt or Gerry or whatever the hell his name is has no character whatsoever.

Dragon Age 2, the origins had so many unique locations, like Orzammar, whilst this one has one city and the dungeons are copy and paste, they should have waited another year or so before releasing it, rather than try to cash in on the Origins glory.

It's gotta be Spore.
Spore is the game that made me swear of hype for good.

I'm not jaded for the experience, rather I just wait to see what people are saying about games after they've been released, rather than before :)

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly. I was a huge Spyro fan and really had high hopes for the game and it turned out to be utter crap. At this point, I don't really hate it for that. I have a blast observing the bugs. However, I'm still disappointed at the lack of a reward for 100% completion. I (and many others) had posted on forums trying to figure out what the reward was and where it was, only to find out that there was none. That did make me angry.

Sonic 2k6. I'm sure I don't have to say why, but I'll just say the main points. Horrible controls, trash quality story, and having cartoony characters in "realistic" environments just clashed far too much.

I don't really play games as much as I use to, so I don't have any recent titles to mention.

Probably the Incredibles, my introduction to the fact that just about all movie games are crap. Following that would probably be Arc Rise Fantasia. I had heard it was similar in game play to Tales of Symphonia (which I love) but I found the magic (my favorite part of combat in most games) boring and the story rather uninteresting. Finally Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of Starry Skies. It was good at first but went on too long and got too repetitive.

Axolotl:
Mass Effect. Before playing it I'd been told it was the greatest RPG ever by pretty much every review I'd read with great story and a deep setting and all the traditional buzz Bioware games get, having recently come off playing Bioshock which had gottn similar praise and had blown me away with how good it was I eagerly played it. Then I actually played it and found it bland, predictable and poorly written. In retrospect I probably judged it more harshly than I should have, that I played it immediately after finishing Fallout for the first time is probably a big reason it dissapointed me so much.

thats kinda funny cause i had the exact opisite happen to me. i played mass effect loved it then went and played fallout thinking id love it too(as the reveiws were much alike) i got out of the vault and said not worth my time.
well i guess different tastes?

The Force Unleashed II was far too short, with the entirety of the first planet being covered in the demo. I bought the game because the demo was fun. However, I wasn't amused by the game's ridiculously short length and returned it immediately upon finishing it.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon was a bigger disappointment because I expected (hoped for, really) better. I wasn't expecting TFUII to be great but at least not quite so short. AC:AH was an obvious attempt to appeal to the CoD crowd, aping CoD4 to an unacceptable degree. Bear in mind that Ace Combat is an arcade flying game series.

ecoho:

Axolotl:
Mass Effect. Before playing it I'd been told it was the greatest RPG ever by pretty much every review I'd read with great story and a deep setting and all the traditional buzz Bioware games get, having recently come off playing Bioshock which had gottn similar praise and had blown me away with how good it was I eagerly played it. Then I actually played it and found it bland, predictable and poorly written. In retrospect I probably judged it more harshly than I should have, that I played it immediately after finishing Fallout for the first time is probably a big reason it dissapointed me so much.

thats kinda funny cause i had the exact opisite happen to me. i played mass effect loved it then went and played fallout thinking id love it too(as the reveiws were much alike) i got out of the vault and said not worth my time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "got out of the vault", in Fallout you start the game outside the vault. Unless you mean out side the cave but that's like what 90 seconds at the most?

I'm in a bit of a rush so I'll just name my number one most disappointing game.

It has to be Skyrim. I will take part of the blame for getting extremely excited for it, but it has just left me feeling cold and underwhelmed. There are a number of reasons which I do not have the time to list, but it just left me feeling really empty I guess.

EDIT: Add to that L.A. Noire. I guess mostly for the fact that the game could have been so much more, but failed to make the most of the opportunity it had. That and the ending, the ending was atrocious.

Axolotl:

ecoho:

Axolotl:

I'm not sure what you mean by "got out of the vault", in Fallout you start the game outside the vault. Unless you mean out side the cave but that's like what 90 seconds at the most?

i was speaking mostly of fallout 3 in that respect,but if you were refering to the first fallout in your preveous post i played that before i played mass effect and i hated the asstedics of the game and if theres a story in that game i couldnt find it.

Recently... Saints Row the Third
wow was I disappointed!
I can just see the developers meeting,
"Right so we get rid of the story, the best character and everything that made the second game fun, and replace with a purple dildo!"

Iwata:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II- It felt like a demo, rather than a full-blown game. I enjoyed it, but I certainly regret paying full price for one of the shortest games I have ever played.

Agreed, and leave it with a ending that will never be resolved!

Baldur's Gate.

This game has so incredibly many strong points for such an old game, and I was for the longest time capable of even overlooking all the glaring weaknesses in the combat system, and this is coming from someone who hates RNG-based combat(and hates badly balanced RNG-based combat even more). That is, until I faced one huge problem: I got completely stuck. I got surrounded by wyverns and other monsters in one patch in the forest, and any attempt on trying to leave that patch in the forest either to advance or try to get back to a city turned out to be completely impossible. The exploration part of the game was what I enjoyed the most, and that very aspect hammered me in the face for exploring too much. Gah.

Chaos wars for the ps2

not only was it the worse voice acting ever but still holds true that there won't be anymore really good SRPGS unless they have disgaea int he title >.>

My most disappointing game experience would be when I first bought Battalion Wars 2, only to find out that the single player campaign was only 3 hours long, and the multiplayer mode was very limited. Waiting around 3 years for this game did NOT help matters either.

I'm pretty cautious about what I buy and play, but...

1) Dragon Age 2: I didn't play it. I had it pre-ordered because I enjoyed Origins, but then EA marketing was so aggressive with its "sign up for this-or-that or lose out on game content" that I cancelled it. EA marketing and Bioware's own social network are very antagonistic toward their companies' fans. Not worth my time even if it costs me access to some games.

2) Infamous: I picked it up free from Sony after the PSN outage and discovered that I was right to avoid it in the first place. I don't like the characters and setting, the gameplay is flashy but uninvolving, and I'm obviously not the right kind of gamer for it. It's not a bad game, but I just couldn't find anything about it to keep me interested.

feeqmatic:
For the sake of passing the time while im grading a few papers i though this up. Hopefully its not a repeat of an active thread. Top 3-5 most disappointing gaming experiences and why.

Honorable mentions- Dragon Age 2, Grand Theft Auto 4, The Bouncer, Jade Empire, Matrix revolutions and many more.

5- "Next gen" Madden series. I know that on a "real gamer" site Madden is it that shall not be named, but for sports/football fans like myself, this console generation has been one dissapointment after another. The game still doesnt have all the features from madden 2005...SMH

4- Metal Gear Solid 4- I said to myself as soon as I saw the PS3 coming that I would buy it when MGS4 came out. Boy was that a regretfull purchase. 30 hours of game, 10 hours of gameplay. I dont know why this, Azuras Wrath, Allan Wake, and im sure plenty of others get full priced releases when a movie ticket costs 10 dollars.

3- Soul Calibur 5- Fighting games have always been my thing. Unlike many, i am a book reading, frame learning fanatic just short of entering pro tourneys (the highest level of comp takes the fun out) . As such the less complex/more noob friendly a fighter is the less interested i am in it. SC4 was near perfection, SC5 was made for the newbs and not the fans.

2-TIE!- The first Ninja Turtles/Xmen Games. Im probably showing my age here, but I begged for a Nintendo just to play the Ninja Turtles game, and I begged for a Genesis for the Xmen game a few years later. Both times I was forced to grow up a little.

1-Final Fantasy 13- I'm sure im beating a dead horse, and I know there is a lot of argument on this one. For me the biggest issue was that I was new to JRPGs and had played pretty much everyone of not in the 2-3 years prior to this and was incredibly anxious for FF13 only to get... what we got. For the record i got about 15 hours in before i traded it in.

Now lets share in the misery as many of us pray that Mass Effect 3 does not make me change my list.

Without a doubt it would be Duke Nukem: Forever. Or Battlefield 3. I mean DNF everyone knew would flop, but I had faith! I was wrong... BF3 was a real shocker.. The hype carried on until after its release so I had no reason to think it would be bad. But somehow it was... meh

Probably The Force Unleashed 2. The way they showed everything of and advertised it, i had rather high hopes.Like they said that different enemies would mean a more complex way of doing battle, but in the end it was just "defeat enemy x with attack Y" all the time. It looked cool and graphics were really great (i just like to be able to say: wow, this is a well rendered tree). The first one i liked, i just got frustrated with the long loading times everytime i wanted to get into a menu. But yeah, it was disappointing.
It was really short and felt kind of stiff to me (i'm sure there's a penis joke in there somewhere).

Fable. I had just finished playing Oblivion when i started it. It just felt ridiculous to me that i would get blocked by a fence, because i had previously thought it to be open world. It felt like i didn't have enough freedom, it wasn't really RPG and more action and all in all it just felt a bit bland to me. I had the same problem with Dragon Age: Origins, but after trying to play it a second time, it is easily now in my list of favourite games, due to it's execution of a rather cliché story. But boy, the execution of it was great.

Fallout New Vegas. I must say I haven't played the first 2 and appearently it resembles the first 2 more in its storyline, but to me it didn't feel "post apocalyptic" enough. First time i went outside of vault 101 in fallout 3 and had a first glimps of the wasteland i had kind of a ":( " feeling. Somehow it felt more depressing to me.

I think that my largest gaming disappointment would have to be Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy. But it isn't for the reasons most would think given how it is basically a glorified expansion to the original. Hell, it even went as far as to include the original's campaign in it. It's probably because I never played the original so I didn't feel as cheated as those who did.

No my reason is the loading. Even with the data install it sill takes quite a long time to load on my 1k. I will admit that it is a pretty fun game, but the loading combined with the mandatory grinding to unlock everything, it makes it quite trying.

To make it more playable I ripped the full game to my memory stick and grabbed a 100% Dissidia 1 file, so that I'd have at the very least all the extra bonus XP and the like and make progression faster, even after the Exdeath grind abuse.

My other disappointments would be Pokemon and the other Final Fantasy games, but that's more of my stupidity and wishful thinking and quite a bit of brain washing on their part. I swear I walk into the store and walk out with the game in hand, not knowing exactly what happened. So at home when I have the game already, I play it hoping it'll be good again, but it isn't. I'm just glad I got FFXIII now though, and not at launch because otherwise I'd be extremely pissed. Now, having only bought it for seven bucks I can enjoy it as an interesting but shitty little game.

Most people have said this already but Dragon Age II:
I hate most of the party (varric had some good moments). Even in Awakening the party was great! Anders, Sigrun and Nathaniel were great! Then they brought Anders into II and removed his sense of humor entirely.
Also Hawke is a jerk even if you are good-guy Hawke.

Two words Devil Survivor , I mean for an Atlus game to be filled with so many bugs was truly a disappointing turn, and it just repeated it's self with Overclocked.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked