Rumors of EA getting taken over?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/04/26/ea-spikes-on-report-japans-nexon-makes-takeover-bid/

Electronic Arts shares are trading higher Thursday morning on a report that apparently originated with a South Korean newspaper that said the Japanese game company Nexon has made a bid for EA.

The rumor has been passed along this morning via a Bloomberg video report, among other places.

Not a lot to go on here just yet, but EA shares are responding strongly to the rumor: the game maker's shares have spiked $1.22, or 8.1%, to $16.23. The stock lately has been trading close to a 52-week low, as it continues to struggle through a transition to switch more of its business to digital distribution and away from the traditional shrink-wrapped console game market.

As the Forbes article said it's not much to go on but it's an interesting thought. If it does end up happening what do you guys think the repercussions will be?

EDIT: Another article giving a bit more information topped with a few thoughts on the matter.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/26/rumor-free-to-play-publisher-nexon-offers-to-buy-ea/

It'd be interesting for sure, EA does seems to be sinking so another company buying it up wouldn't be horrible.

Hey, it's not like Nexon could do any worse right?

If it meant a complete management reshuffle of EA then it's a good thing. That company has been operating for too long on acquisition without any real growth, and the level of bureaucracy in their management system shows through in their customer service.

Are Nexon known for good customer service and customer friendly behaviour?

Oh pleeease tell me that EA's management is getting axed at the end of this ordeal. Please dear God in heaven let everyone one of those syphilitic ballsacks spend their golden years doing tech support for minimum wage... *fingers crossed*

So Satan himself decided to take over operations?

Well it was only a matter of time...

Inb4 all the EA hate :D

Daystar Clarion:

Inb4 all the EA hate :D

Not quite all the EA hate:

Emiscary:
Oh pleeease tell me that EA's management is getting axed at the end of this ordeal. Please dear God in heaven let everyone one of those syphilitic ballsacks spend their golden years doing tech support for minimum wage... *fingers crossed*

Anyways, as for the OT, yeah it would be some sweet, delicious justice to see EA get taken over and gutted for a change. I guess the old saying is true: "There's always a bigger fish."

Well here's Nexon's website: http://www.nexon.net/

It comes with the tagline:

"The best in free-to-play online games"
All Nexon games are completely free to download and play. The games are regularly updated with new content and are completely supported. Play for free, forever.

Oh sweet baby Batman, If they apply the EA franchises to their current business model I predict MICROTRANSACTIONS EVERYWHERE! Forget about feeling bad because of a 15 map pack, you'll be paying through the nose for everything!

This may be a case of better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

RJ 17:

Anyways, as for the OT, yeah it would be some sweet, delicious justice to see EA get taken over and gutted for a change. I guess the old saying is true: "There's always a bigger fish."

Feels less like a bigger fish situation and more along the lines of jackals leaping on wounded prey.

ultramarine486:

RJ 17:

Feels less like a bigger fish situation and more along the lines of jackals leaping on wounded prey.

The sea has scavengers as well, my friend. :P

I hope they buy up EA and split it up into tiny little components. It would be a fitting end to a destructive company.

No. This is bad. I hate EA but Nexon are the microtransaction kings. Remember when Richitello talked about you paying a dollar for more bullets in a Battlefield/CoD game? Nexon would make it a reality. Nexon customer service and support are also beyond horrible, worse then anything EA could put out.

There are ways for EA to go away, but this would be like killing it only for it to be raised back as a Lich, more terrible and more mircotransaction happy then before.

I've played a couple Nexon games in my day and they aren't exactly amazing, not terrible but just boring.

Did I miss something though? I know EA isn't raking in money hand over fist but I still thought they had enough of a money coming in to keep themselves a float. So is Nexon raking in cash then? Maybe I'm just skeptical, but I didn't know a developer who makes cheapo/Korean/Grind-fest MMO's would have the kind of money to buy one of the most iconic and largest developers in history.

does anyone know the market value for both Nexon and EA?

Antari:
I hope they buy up EA and split it up into tiny little components. It would be a fitting end to a destructive company.

If that does happen I hope the irony is not lost on the EA execs :D

Hero in a half shell:
Well here's Nexon's website: http://www.nexon.net/

It comes with the tagline:

"The best in free-to-play online games"
All Nexon games are completely free to download and play. The games are regularly updated with new content and are completely supported. Play for free, forever.

Oh sweet baby Batman, If they apply the EA franchises to their current business model I predict MICROTRANSACTIONS EVERYWHERE! Forget about feeling bad because of a 15 map pack, you'll be paying through the nose for everything!

This may be a case of better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

So far in all of the Nexon games I've played (which was all of 2), it was possible to earn everything in the game without having to pay a dime. Paying basically just meant that you got all the best gear instantly instead of having to work for it. You were never forced to pay for anything. It was nowhere near as bad as EA's microtransaction idea of paying $1 every time you need to reload in Battlefield.

Limecake:
I've played a couple Nexon games in my day and they aren't exactly amazing, not terrible but just boring.

Did I miss something though? I know EA isn't raking in money hand over fist but I still thought they had enough of a money coming in to keep themselves a float. So is Nexon raking in cash then? Maybe I'm just skeptical, but I didn't know a developer who makes cheapo/Korean/Grind-fest MMO's would have the kind of money to buy one of the most iconic and largest developers in history.

does anyone know the market value for both Nexon and EA?

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:EA
http://quotes.wsj.com/JP/3659

EA's stock is apparently at 16$ due to the rumors of getting bought out. In the last five or so years their stock went from about 50$ a share to 12$. Granted Nexon doesn't look that much better however as their stock seems to be hovering around the 19$ mark. Not to mention with the ME3 debacle, and the fact that The old republic didn't do nearly as well as they hoped EA could be seen as in a serious slump.

That would beautiful. With the way EA games sysmetacally gobbles up talented companies and turns them into shit, the idea that an even crappier company might absorbs them, is really delicious in its irony and its justice.

I hope they fire all the people at Bioware too.

Dirty Hipsters:

So far in all of the Nexon games I've played (which was all of 2), it was possible to earn everything in the game without having to pay a dime. Paying basically just meant that you got all the best gear instantly instead of having to work for it. You were never forced to pay for anything. It was nowhere near as bad as EA's microtransaction idea of paying $1 every time you need to reload in Battlefield.

So, P2W then? Sorry. Bad. Even if you're not technically required to buy anything, you're at an in-game disadvantage if you don't so it's about the same like you don't really have to give your wallet to the robber when he has you pinned on the ground and a foot on your neck. That's a bad model and should be tarred, feathered and then burned alive. And tar burns slowly.

Vegosiux:

Dirty Hipsters:

So, P2W then? Sorry. Bad. Even if you're not technically required to buy anything, you're at an in-game disadvantage if you don't so it's about the same like you don't really have to give your wallet to the robber when he has you pinned on the ground and a foot on your neck. That's a bad model and should be tarred, feathered and then burned alive. And tar burns slowly.

It's bad for PvP, but it's fine for PvE, especially in games where leveling and looting is supposed to be the interesting part.

Dirty Hipsters:

It's bad for PvP, but it's fine for PvE, especially in games where leveling and looting is supposed to be the interesting part.

Looting is never the interesting part. The entire loot mechanic is retarded, in my opinion. I know people get kicks out of it, but I don't see how, just the same way I don't see just what's so great about coffee. Reward me by how I do, not by RNG. Or rather, give me the ability to customize and upgrade my own gear as I see fit according to how I do, as opposed to showering me with pre-set items.

As for leveling up? How interesting that is depends on whether or not there's any actual content outside endgame.

Plus, even in PvE that just breaks the progression curve entirely.

This is actually kind of interesting. Nexon is one of the best South Korean Devs in the market atm. They're kind of like the EA of South Korea, except way less dickish to their community. The way they have their international companies set up is basically "You get to market our games to the specific region, you have to add in the major content we add to the korean version, and any original regional content has to be approved by the Koreans."

Now Nexon America.

They're basically a free-to-play variant of EA.

Their customer service is subpar, there's a lack of content in a few of the games, mainly due to the fact that no one plays them because there's a big gap between content, meaning they're not in a hurry to get it done, and there's alot of buying power through illegal NX (Nexon Cash, the virtual currency fueling the microtransactions)trade and gold buying. Farming is a big problem in several of the games, as such, the majority of the economies are pretty screwed up, especially in Vindictus and Maplestory.

If that's not enough, here's an example of a problem from Maplestory:

A recent patch fixed a major glitch on one of the endgame bosses that prevented it from being killed. Now people "should" be able to kill it. Should. However, several of the smaller worlds (servers) don't have the necessary channels (isolated states of the game on the same server, think WoW's phasing but instead of changing the world it just puts players in different parts of the same place) the boss can be fought on, meaning the only way of obtaining the gear is buying it overpriced from hackers. Speaking of hackers, on one of the larger worlds, a person or a small group of people are basically restricting access to the boss via crashing the map it spawns on, forcing players to pay them 250$ worth of NX to be "allowed" to fight the boss. On top of that, there's item duplicating, map crashing, etc.

I can't see anything good come out of North American control of EA under Nexon.

Vegosiux:

Well only if you buy into it. If your just doing PvE then it only matters to yourself if you want to break the progression curve. Sure group situations might get a bit skewed but I don't think it would be that hard to find others who don't do 'pay to win' to group with.

ultramarine486:

Vegosiux:

Well only if you buy into it. If your just doing PvE then it only matters to yourself if you want to break the progression curve. Sure group situations might get a bit skewed but I don't think it would be that hard to find others who don't do 'pay to win' to group with.

You'd be really surprised. Most people who don't put money into the game will be, on average, poor and underpowered. I mean in one of the games, if you don't any avatars, cosmetic items that add major stat boosts, you will be extremely hard pressed to find a group that will let you into the high level content. Stack that on top the fact that the player population is declining (mainly because they haven't released a new class in a while) and you have bad times.

What if this new company is more evil than EA? EA could be transformed into some Frankinstein's monster made up of super evil.

1000th post cake and free kittens for all.

ultramarine486:

Vegosiux:

As a poster above me said...you'd be surprised. Saying the group situations would get a bit skewed is akin to saying that there's some sand in Sahara. Communities in these allegedly free games tend to be quite horrible.

Even in LoL where all the cash shop stuff is purely cosmetic, many people who have been spending money on it think they have the right to be jerks and not get banned "because they're financially supporting the company". And note, I'm totally okay with stuff being available for money, as long as it's purely cosmetic and doesn't give an in-game advantage. And as long as the "base", the free bit doesn't look terrible in comparison.

ToTaL LoLiGe:
What if this new company is more evil than EA? EA could be transformed into some Frankinstein's monster made up of super evil.

1000th post cake and free kittens for all.

Nah. It would just bide its time then eat its way out from the inside.

jcb1337:

ultramarine486:

Vegosiux:

You'd be really surprised. Most people who don't put money into the game will be, on average, poor and underpowered. I mean in one of the games, if you don't any avatars, cosmetic items that add major stat boosts, you will be extremely hard pressed to find a group that will let you into the high level content. Stack that on top the fact that the player population is declining (mainly because they haven't released a new class in a while) and you have bad times.

Well declining player population creates a whole set of problems with grouping being one of many.

Course if they did merge we might see a F2P Old Republic. There would be micro transactions out the ass but it would at least be free.

Take EA, but forget to mention DICE or Bioware in the deal so that they somehow get left out. Then I will be overjoyed.

Why would EA want to do that?

I'm not here to "hate," but I find it funny the only thing to spike EA stock prices is "someone else is going to be taking over."

More Fun To Compute:
Are Nexon known for good customer service and customer friendly behaviour?

i've heard 'horror story's', but the very few times i've needed them, they where pretty quick about getting to me and resolving the issue

Zachary Amaranth:
I'm not here to "hate," but I find it funny the only thing to spike EA stock prices is "someone else is going to be taking over."

it's pretty funny isn't it

Dirty Hipsters:
It was nowhere near as bad as EA's microtransaction idea of paying $1 every time you need to reload in Battlefield.

Sorry but I can't take that seriously. The BF3 unlocks, while rather overpriced, aren't required to win. If you have any semblance of skill you can get all the "essential" vehicle unlocks in a day or even a couple hours, and at least a one full load out for each class. While I'm not a fan of vehicle unlocks like flares and such, the "experience treadmill" basically moves at a walking pace for the first few unlocks.

No offense intended, I'm just sick and tired of hearing people complain about the "pay to win" in BF3, when its not even approaching that. Not even on the same planet as that.

OP: I don't know how to feel about a Japanese company acquiring DICE and Bioware. Honestly I can't see them being any more "fair" than EA. I'd prefer to stick with the devil I know.

Lunar Templar:
it's pretty funny isn't it

It'd be funnier if they weren't POSSIBLY being taken over by the microtransaction kings. Because EA+Maple Story tactics...*shudders*

Well its not like Forbes would be one to quickly jump on rumor mills, but damn I got to belive this is bogus because Nexon? Really?

Im sorry, but if Nexon buys out EA, which I still do not think EA is any sort of bad shape to even consider selling, nor do I think Nexon actually has the overall clout to force this or even support it if it were to happen. But if they do, I guess I will not play another EA property because honestly Nexon is shit and built around a "lowest common denominator" principle that would make EA look principled.

Seriously, that proposition is bad for everyone involved, Gamers, consumers, developers, etc and would only serve to ruin what good EA has put forth

Its weird to me. I already have an active boycott against Ubisoft. Activision makes nothing I find interesting, If EA goes to Nexon thats another publisher off my list and THQ is struggling to stay afloat. Honestly who all does that leave? 2k and Square Enix? (publishers) Not promising.

I remember the old "Have you sold your soul to the EA devil?" thing. It was a bit comical.

I wonder if we'll get any such meme for Nexon? Hmm, kinda rhymes with Necron...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked