The best value game you have bought?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

The_Blue_Rider:
Also I find dollars to time played conversions somewhat silly, what if its a game with lots of useless padding, or just a shit ton of cutscenes? ((Metal Gear Solid for example)Although i think Metal Gear Solid 4 is worth the cash).

i use this as a general guide personally. not strictly for hours, but like i said, hours to how much i paid. but if i found the game that good, even a short one with no multiplayer, i'll play it a fair few times, trying to do all achievements or complete on the highest difficulty etc. my point is, if i like the game i will make up the hours by replaying it, and if it is a game with lots of padding, i will be hesitant to play it through again, if at all. overall i find the hours tend to balance themselves out.

also, forgot to mention WoW, but no idea how much i spent due to the subscription, or how much of my time on it was actually fun...

suitepee7:
So, the way i work out the value of a game i have purchased is 1 to an hour. so for a 40 game, if i put at least 40 hours in, i see it as a good enough purchase. if i spend less time on it, it perhaps wasn't my best decision, and if i spend longer then it must be doing something right...

That's exactly how I value games, how about that! I don't think it's a perfect system, but it works well enough a lot of the time.

I'd probably have to go with Killing Floor, since I spent 3.75 on it and up to this point I've played it for 75 hours, which means it's lasted 20 times longer than a worthwhile purchase. It was more of a time-killer than actually very enjoyable, but it's the best example of the "suitepee7-bojackx" value system.

EDIT: I'm gonna go ahead and add Minecraft, since I got it in the Alpha stage, at which point it was about 7, and I've invested hundreds of hours, unfortunately it isn't logged, but I'll assume at least 300 hours.

While I don't have the mathematical breakdown, what pops into my head is Mount & Blade and its expansions. I got them during a sale on Steam. I don't always play them, and when I do, it's not long before I find another game to play, but I keep coming back to them as interim games between bigger titles.

Fallout 3: GOTY. Spent about 60 on it and put in nearly 1000 hours over only 4 characters.

terraria. 10 Euros 60 hours, Mount and Blade 5 Euros (Sale) 60 hours.
Pretty good were skyrim 50 Euros 70 hours, Crusader Kings 2 25 Euros 45 hours and Endless Space 25 Euros 25 hours, but that one is going to get ALOT more hours.

Well...

World of Warcraft. It's debatable whether or not it's worth how much I've ended up spending on it, with a recurring subscription for about five years now, but across the three characters I usually play I've pulled up something like 280 days of played time in that, so I'd say it's been worth it.

Skyrim. As someone who couldn't get into either Morrowind or Oblivion, Skyrim seemed to have something different that just let me dive right in and love it. Maybe it was the vastly improved third-person camera, or the gritty-yet-beautiful game world, I don't know, but I put in well over 80 hours into that.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. There isn't enough to say about that game. It may not have the best story (but lets be honest, neither did Skyrim), it may not have the best graphical fidelity or engine, and it may be styled very much so like a single-player MMO, but I love it all the same. Great combat, great aesthetics, great sound design, and an absolutely massive world.

Metal Gear Solid. The series as a whole, really. Sure, they're 3/4 cut-scene and 1/4 game-play, but at least Hideo Kojima knows how to make the cut-scenes interesting. And lets you skip them (Though I wish you could pause them). And damn does he know how to write some characters. Disregarding the lack of an editor with the balls to cut down the scripts, at least most of the characters in that series are very well defined. Even Raiden had a great character arc in MGS2.

Mass Effect. Again, the series as a whole. But if I were to pick an individual game out of the series, it'd be Mass Effect 2. Got it on PC and PS3, put in about 60 hours on the PS3 and about 50-60 hours across two characters so far on the PC.

Legend of Zelda: Collectors edition.

Includes: OOT, MM, Zelda 1 and Zelda 2 + WW demo.

It's not popular around here, but I always get exceptional value out of FIFA games. I think it comes from having a sibling to play against, as the single player grates after a while.

Seriously I get hundreds of house out of 'em. Call it a guilty pleasure.

Oblivion, although not on my steam I've sunk about 1k hours into it.

The Legend of Zelda Collection for the Gamecube at the price of 15. Consider that it's several games in one disc, I had played far more than 15 hours.

ThingWhatSqueaks:
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - $39.99 for ~300 hours
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - $5 for 30 hours

Although I paid $10 for my V:tM: B, it's still paying out in great entertainment.
But, yeah, basically, 'What he said.'

I bought FFXII for €10 and played it for over 1200 hours. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Either Fallout 3 or CoD4, both games I have put hundreds of hours in.

Probably the original Civilization. I paid a buck for it and then played it all summer and most of the fall. Great game. I also paid $1 for Civ 2, but it was more of a pain to get running than Civ I, so I never logged much time on it.

Skyrim since I got it for 20.
WoW would seem like a contender since MMOs cost 2.25 per week so you only have to play 4 hours per week for it to be worthwhile but I remember when I was still playing I worked out I had spent like 350 on it all together between, Vanilla, expansions, guides and buying gold. That still sounds way too high but I think that's what it was. Oh yer I also included the subs up to that point so its about right,
TOR would still be one but TOR can suck it.

Civ 5 also could have been one but I racked up quite a bit of cost buying all the new leader/scenario packs and I only played it for 50 hours till I got that bug where steam completely fucked up and the game just wont launch.

Amaror:
Pretty good were skyrim 50 Euros 70 hours, Crusader Kings 2 25 Euros 45 hours and Endless Space 25 Euros 25 hours, but that one is going to get ALOT more hours.

Is that endless space thing any good, I've seen the beta thing on Steam but wasnt quite sure what its deal is? Is it like Galactic Civilization?

Currently, Terraria tops that list easily.
414 hours, 10 bucks on launch (bought the 4-pack for 40, and was reimbursed).
And the game has just reached its one year anniversary.

Yeah. I kinda like it.

Followed by Borderlands, UT2004 (re-purchased since my CD collection was stolen), X-COM 1 through 3, Plants Vs Zombies, and then a smattering of games that took a while to beat the first time, but I haven't really replayed.

For my ALL-TIME best (not just in the last 5 years): Either Age of Empires 2, Master of Orion 2, or Diablo 2. I've also beaten Super Metroid and the first 5 Mega Man X games an unhealthy number of times.

The Orange Box. I've played the shit out of Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal.
Besides that I've spent countless hours of playing mods for those games. Some of them were better than many modern AAA titles and they are free. :-D
The Orange Box is even worth picking up if you don't like Half-Life 2 or the others, because of mods.

Minecraft

Gotta be Morrowind, Oblivion, TF2 or Borderlands. Spent so much time on those, and replayed them over and over.

Orange box (tf2) and Bad company 2.

532 and 551 hours respectively.

Mine would be Just Cause 2. I paid twenty dollars for it and I've just recently passed 60 hours play time with well over half the game to go.

Dark Souls. Around 400 hours.

suitepee7:
So, the way i work out the value of a game i have purchased is 1 to an hour. so for a 40 game, if i put at least 40 hours in, i see it as a good enough purchase. if i spend less time on it, it perhaps wasn't my best decision, and if i spend longer then it must be doing something right...

now as steam keeps track of gaming hours, it is pretty easy to work out the value for PCs, consoles is more of a guess tbh.

so i ask you, what has been your best value purchase? (lowest cost to longest time played) mine is the binding of isaac. so far i've put in around 54 hours, but seeing as the game was only around 4, that means i've got 13.5 hours of gameplay, out of each 1. pretty good going

arma x (around 25 euros)
contains:

why? because of this mod

i recommend it.

Persona 3 Portable, 10 euro in Gamestop...Best fucking tenner I have ever spent. Roughly 125hrs, brilliant.

FranBunnyFFXII:
World of Warcraft, well at least after playing Free to Play MMORPGs for 8 years...

WoW is sooo worth it omg, WoW Vindictus and GuildWars2, only MMORPGs that matter ;)

you really love your mmo's, don't you? (nothing wrong with that, just always seem to see you post about mmo's, I think you had quite a thread opener on Tera maybe?)

OT: well for multiplayer games, that is probably socom 2, i played that every.single.day. for over a damn year at least. don't know the value/ratio though.

single player though? probably kotor, i've beaten that game to hell and back with every mod known to man 40+ times....not an exaggeration. and I would do just about damn near everything each playthrough, so that roughly rounds out 30-50 hours per playthrough...O.O....

lots of hours.

GundamSentinel:
I bought FFXII for €10 and played it for over 1200 hours. I punch those numbers into my calculator and it makes a happy face.

Agreed. I'm only at 200 hours on FFXII for about the same price, and it's still great value for a great game.

atm its probably the orange box

but recently terarria and tribes ascend have been munching my time

(1.50 or something for terraria and i put a tenner down to support tribes because its great)

Likely the 1st Deadliest Warrior game. I bought it on sale for 4.99 (Or was it 5.99?) and it still holds appeal for those nights I've some drunken friends over. I'm unsure as to how many hours have been sunk into it, but doubtless it's a little past 70 or so hours. Yes, it's a terrible game, but what can I say? Unintentional hilarity abounds.

80$ for Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, worth every penny and then some! So much content, so much grinding fun!

Minecraft.
Got it in alpha when it was around 10 euro. 1 day before the Halloween update. Playing it since then. I would say 1.5-2 hours per day, on average. Sometimes I play it the whole night and before I realize it, I hear birds outside and see the morning sun. Yeah, then I hate my self during my classes where I can't keep my eyes open.

Second place would be Monster Hunter Tri. Bought it from a friend for less than 5$, played it over 300 hours. I would still be playing it if my classic controller didn't stop working for no obvious reason. Maybe I should order a new one, hmm?

I don't value my purchases just by game time, it's also about quality of that time. Some games are just very addictive, but once you're done with them you realize that actually they weren't much fun after all. Also, some games offer an experience that sticks with you, even when not playing.

Bearing this in mind, these are my best purchases:
-Morrowind GOTY, €7, sank lots of hours in that, much fun and a great experience
-Deus Ex, €3,50 (used copy), again: sank lots of hours into it (played it 5 to 10 times through), lots of fun and a great experience
-Mount & Blade Warband, €5 during Steam sale, have sunk 246 hours into it already and will probably return to it one day. Also great fun, though not a very interesting experience.
-Red Faction Guerilla, €3,33 (as part of a 3 for €10 deal), great fun and played it for many, many hours (not entirely sure how many, but probably about 100 hours or more).

The longer I own a game that I tend to play at LAN parties, the more the value of it increases, I guess. So by your standards, my most valuable game is probably Total Annihilation. Played it with friends from 1999 to 2007 pretty regularly, and we still go back to it for nostalgia trips when Supreme Commander matches are too long for us.
Oh, and I spent $10 on my first copy of it. $5 on the subsequent edition with expansions attached.

Out of more recent purchases it would be Fallout New vegas. 80$ for the collectors edition and almost 200 hours of playtime, and Skyrim, 120 or so hours for a 60$ game. I have more but some of them I haven't played it a long time so I don't remember the numbers.

Pipotchi:

Amaror:

Is that endless space thing any good, I've seen the beta thing on Steam but wasnt quite sure what its deal is? Is it like Galactic Civilization?

Well Endless Space is my first x4 game, but i like it a LOT.
It is really great fun. Since it's in the alpha right now there still are some issues, for example the pathfinding has some real anoying bugs in the current build.
Still it is really a lot of fun and has great appeal. When i want to play it i have to make sure that i have a couple of hours time, because when i start the game, it gets really hard to quit. You always want to make just one more move, defeat this one fleet, research that one technology and colonize that one star system.
Just try it ozt, it is great fun.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked