Need a new anime

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Hello escapists I need your help on finding a new anime to watch.
I have only actually finished two full anime's (Black Blood Brothers and Clannad/Clannad After Story) and I am looking for a new anime to watch, preferably something like Clannad (sorta high school drama) but all suggestions are valued.

Just a quick note: don't mention Bleach, FMA or Death Note as I am fully aware of them and will get to watching them soon :P

Thanks people!!

Edit: Also just for discussion value...what is your favourite anime and why?

Edit 2: Just so people know I am not completely restricted to the genres I may have mentioned; I am open to any genre of anime out there as I have only seen a few and wish to find some more awesome ones! Cheers for all the current suggestions though people!

Watch Future Diary, or Mirrai Nikki.
It's fast paced, muti-character and multi-layered story that never rests through 24 mind boggling episodes. It has its cutesy moments, but it's mostly serious. It has depictions of realistic gore - i.e. people stabbing and shooting each other, some admirably well written characters and relationships (What? An anime that does a gay relationship well? BUAH?) and a plot that WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.
Don't look at the wiki page or read about it as spoilers can ruin your entire experience!

Here are a couple I've thoroughly enjoyed.

-Highschool of the dead

-One piece

-Elfen Lied

Give em a go :)

If you want something like Clannad, you can watch Kanon(2006).
Made by the same people, and it's almost exactly the same as Clannad.

Usagi drop is really great. A fairly short show about a little girl and her adoptive father.

You'll probably love Angel beats. It's a touching story about a group of teens who are stuck in a strange school. I strongly suggest you check it out.

K-ON is not dramatic in the least. It's just a series about a bunch of highschool kids who start a band and spend their days screwing around. It's good though.

Mawaru penguindrum has some serious mindfuck going on. Great series with actual substance.

Steins; gate is about a couple of college-age kids who invent a time machine. The story is awesome.

The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is made by the same people who made Clannad, and has become sort of a cult classic. Just make sure you watch the episodes in the Kyon-order (The order in which they originally aired).

Seitokai yakuindomo is funny and perverted. Nothing serious, just random fun.

Screw high school drama.

Watch Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Do it!

If you want something dramatic then I'd suggest Angel Beats too
(the only Anime I actually cried while watching).
I'm more into comedy so:

Kore wa Zombie desuka? (Laughed my ass off with this one)

Soul Eater (Pure madness)

Sankarea (this one's not finished yet but seems pretty interesting)

Nichijou (Pure Nonsense)

- Puella Magi Madoka Magica

- Bakemonogatari

- FLCL

- Gurren Lagann

- Fate/Zero (It's suggested that you watch Fate/Stay Night first if you want a full understanding of the series, but since Fate/Zero's a prequel it isn't really necessary. Also, Fate/Zero is 10000000000000000000x better than Fate/Stay Night)

- Steins;Gate

- Cowboy Bebop (if you haven't seen it yet.)

- Samurai Champloo

- Welcome to the NHK

- Any of Satoshi Kon movies

- K-ON!

- Lucky Star

- Nichijou

These are just some of my favorites.

I seem to say the same ones everytime but whatever:
Ouran High School Host Club
K-On!
Fruits Basket
Fairy Tail

all awesome

Lesee, all I got are:

Puella Magi Modoka Magica
Axis Powers Hetalia
Baccano
Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
The Big O

[Kira Must Die]:

- Bakemonogatari

- FLCL

- Gurren Lagann

- Fate/Zero (It's suggested that you watch Fate/Stay Night first if you want a full understanding of the series, but since Fate/Zero's a prequel it isn't really necessary. Also, Fate/Zero is 10000000000000000000x better than Fate/Stay Night)

- Steins;Gate

- Samurai Champloo

- Welcome to the NHK

- K-ON!

- Lucky Star

- Nichijou

Can I just say, I love you?

You're my new favourite on this board.

I was pretty much just gonna recommend everything listed there. Also, I recommend Neon Genesis Evangelion.

People have recommended it before, but I can not stress it enough: Steins;Gate, a very impressive story amplified by brilliant characters.
A Sci-fi thriller about time travel.

Bakemonogatari A dark comedy/romance with lots of symbolism. Very character driven and a delight to watch.

Kanon (2006) and Angel Beats!, which Jonluw recommended are written by the same guy who wrote Clannad.

ef: A tale of memories: I figured you might like this if you liked Clannad.

Speed Grapher I'm watching this right now, and it is freakishly awesome.

Speaking of freakishly awesome, check out Redline, an anime movie that is basically F-zero on steroids combined with a love story.

Oh, and Summer Wars now that we're talking about anime movies.

Yeah, I'll stop now because I could go on all day, I guess :P

Adventure Time
Invader Zim
T.U.F.F. Puppy
Fairy Oddparents
Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends.

Give them a go *looks around silently and walks away*

Welcome to the NHK
Puella Magi Modoka Magica
Ano hi mita hana no namae o bokutachi wa mada shiranai (AKA, Ano Hana)

Those three are all series that are quite emotionally draining.
Ano Hana falls into melodrama territory quite a bit, but if you were able to put up with the first season of Clannad it shouldn't bother you too much.
If the artwork in Modoka Magica turns you off, give it until the end of episode three, and you'll know definitely whether you want to continue or not.

Busou Renkin
Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Panic

BERSERK.

Best anime, ever. Period.

Claymore is a good one, too.

baccano!
black lagoon

both are about american/english speaking characters so the dubbing is superb.

Well, if you want more Key stories, there's Air and Kanon, and probably Little Busters! too at some point.

As for what I'd suggest:

Fairly Broad appeal:
Baccano!
Black Lagoon
Excel Saga
Monster
Fate/Zero (still ongoing)
Future Diary

More specific appeal:
Spice & Wolf
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners
Grave of the Fireflies
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Usagi Drop

[Kira Must Die]:

- Bakemonogatari

- FLCL

- Gurren Lagann

- Steins;Gate

- Samurai Champloo

- Welcome to the NHK

- K-ON!

- Lucky Star

- Nichijou

But yet Fate/Stay the visual novel is 10000000000000000000x better than Fate/Zero. But since it only spoils the crap out of Heaven's Feel, to those who haven't the VN, it's good.

OT: What this man said. Basically everything he said is great. Even those I don't like I can recognise as being really good regardless. Puella Magi Madoka Magica requires 3 episodes though, then you'll know without a doubt whether you want to watch it or not.

First watch this:

It's called Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. You're welcome.

First off, start Cowboy Bebop.
The Dub is quite, quite good so go with that version.
Start it now. I'll wait.

Rosario + Vampire is quite good. I can't believe no one has mentioned .hack. While it's got a lot of seasons I suggest getting some background information first or it's just going to get confusing and if you want the ultimate .hack experience get the games, visual novels & all the animes.

akfg666:
Just a quick note: don't mention... Death Note as I am fully aware of them and will get to watching them soon :P

The hell are you waiting for?
Do it. Now!

No mention of Hunter X Hunter? Its a good anime about a boy who sets out to become a Hunter and find his father. Sounds cliche but its really not. Also one of the only Anime's outside of Death Note I really, really enjoyed. I'd advise watching the old series, not the reboot, and wathcing them subbed because the voices are better.

Well, most of what I'd recommend has already been suggested, so all I can do is put in an extra recommendation for stuff like Ouran Highschool Host Club (It really is an excellent series, I should re-watch it again sometime), Steins:Gate (Again, a great series, I was practically on the edge of my seat while waiting for the next episode to be released each week), and Spice & Wolf (A decent series, at least. I like it, but I feel the second season focussed too heavily on economics, rather than the good balance the first season had).
A good chunk of the series that Imperator_DK has listed are worth at least checking out as well, I' say.
Oh, and for all of these, I'd recommd watching subbed rather than dubbed.
Especially if you decide to watch Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni.
That animé has possibly the worst English dub I have ever heard.

You can never go wrong with a bit of Dragon Ball Z, the master race :p

Baccano!
Durarara!!
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Trigun
Elfen Lied
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Cowboy Bebop
Darker Than Black
Gurren Lagann
Eden of the East
[C] The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Persona 4
Spice and Wolf
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
There, go check these out.

Claymore. :)

The story takes place in a dark fantasy setting in which humans are plagued by shapeshifting demons (Yoma). In the meanwhile, a mysterious group known as The Organization has begun creating female Human-Yoma hybrids called Claymore, after the sword they carry, who possess formidable strength and combat prowess. These Claymore go around the country, taking contracts from villages that have Yoma problems, and if they can't afford it... Well, let's say they have no qualms with letting people die.

Pic related, it's one of the main characters, Clare.

From the sound of it, Boku no Pico will be right up your alley.

Since you've only seen two anime series so far it's hard to judge what you might like or dis-like, so I recommend trying a little of everything.

For High School drama with some supernatural elements give Durarara a whirl. I know there are tons more High School drama series out there but for some reason I can't think of any other good ones just at the moment.

I highly recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which I'm watching at the moment. I know it looks like a show for little girls, but give it three episodes. It's.... definitely not. You can watch it for free on Crunchyroll, I believe. If you do decide to try this out don't read *anything* about it or you'll spoil the surprise.

I think anyone who's interested in anime should watch Studio Ghibli movies. Start off with Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away and then pretty much take your pick from there.

And of course everyone should try out Evangelion. You might want to consider the two compilation movies that have been released so far, then if you like them go back and watch the series, which is very different after a certain point.

Remember not to discount the older stuff, although some of it might be hard to track down legally. This was this show called KareKano from the 90s that I believe fits the bill of high school drama, although you might have some trouble finding it.

Also Haibane Renmei because it's my favouritest series ever so I always recommend it to everyone <3

Jonluw:

Plus, who doesn't love Ayu?

OT: Watch Berserk if you're in the mood for something more mature. Durarara is a good show I watched recently. For high school drama I'd heartily recommend Toradora. I'm also very partial to Ouran Highschool Host Club, but that seems to be pretty hit or miss with people.

axlryder:

Jonluw:

Plus, who doesn't love Ayu?

Noone!

Although I like Fuuko slightly better.

DarkRyter:

Dude, this isn't /a/, take your in-jokes elsewhere.

OT: Most of the stuff I would suggest has been mentioned, but I'll throw another vote behind the excellent Darker than Black.

Daystar Clarion:
Screw high school drama.

Watch Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Do it!

Not only SCREW High school drama but rape it violently, kill it's mother with a rusty bicycle in front of it, waterboard it. Then fly it into the sun, with a rocket made out of skin irritants full of angry ants, and a baboon.

To see what made me into the psychopath I am today watch Berserk or Hellsing.

Or Highschool drama PARODIES because they are funny
Girls Bravo (sort of soft core hentai/comedy)
Cromartie High (No one understands it)

Trigun is confusing (for me anyway) but worth a watch.

The Diabolical Biz:

DarkRyter:

Dude, this isn't /a/, take your in-jokes elsewhere.

OT: Most of the stuff I would suggest has been mentioned, but I'll throw another vote behind the excellent Darker than Black.

Seriously, what is that jerk thinking? Cool Devices and Bible Black would be way better choices.

Here's a few good ones

Steins;gate - Group of "scientists" creates a time machine by accident and fools around with it a little too much-

Code Geass - A student acquires a power that forces people to do as he orders, but only once.

Deadman Wonderland - 14year is accused of murdering his whole class, he is sent to "deadman wonderland", a prison where the prisoners compete in death games for the public's enjoyment.

Elfen Lied - gore, tits and more gore. not much more to say, but despise this its actually quite entertaining/interesting and is worth the watch.

Spice and wolf - Story of a traveling merchant and his sage-wolf semi human companion. its a lot of talking and economics so its probably not for everyone, but i enjoyed it, and so could you.

Guilty crown - high school student gets "the power of kings", a power that lets him drag out the shape of other peoples heart. he uses his power to help a terrorist group (because everyone's heart is shaped like some form of weapon).

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked