Zero Punctuation: Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

The Ultimate 2:
From what i can tell Minecraft is like Little Big Planet without all the cuteness and it seems to just give you the toys but no instructions on how to build the damn thing. But still good review and good luck to everyone affected by the flood.

it's nothing like little big planet... that's like saying a guitar is like a paintbrush; they're both creative tools, but that's about all they have in common.

OT: i was pretty amazed to see this week's review was minecraft. really didn't expect it.

I get Minecraft and 2 days later Yahtzee does a ZP on it. Like, what are the odds.

So I could tell that he actually kinda enjoyed Minecraft, since there was a bit less "this game sucks ass" and more "FUCKING CREEPERS" in the review.

Yahtzee lost of his credibility with this review. Minecraft is just another boring grindfest hidden behind the fact that you can build stuff with blocks. In other words, garbage.

Wow. I never thought he would actually review it. Not only that, but it was a rather positive review... Not only THAT but he plays it for fun?

Is this opposite day or something?

Oh well, I need to go back to making my giant dome to keep the nasties away.

ZodiacBraves:

CopperBoom:
Since I have not ever played the game, do Creepers really look like big green pricks or is that a "knob" joke?

Indeed they do, my roommate and I refer to them as the exploding penis monsters.

Oh okay.
Thanks for reporting, the video was kind of "cock heavy" so I was not sure if that was just more of the motif.

Yahtzee, as long as you are reviewing games that aren't finished yet, how about Dwarf Fortress sometime?

I realize the United states isn't perfect but for the love of god can you stop with side bashing for at least one episode. I like your reviews but i don't care for hearing how the U.S. is the worst country in your opinion every Wednesday.

That was surprising. I never expected him to review Minecraft and even less to like it. But it was a great review of a great game. When I first saw the game, I really didn't know why it's so popular but after watching some youtube videos and getting the hang of the game, I can't stop playing it.
At the moment I'm building my first really big castle and now I might change my plans a bit and make it a skull fortress.

ovset:
Yahtzee lost of his credibility with this review. Minecraft is just another boring grindfest hidden behind the fact that you can build stuff with blocks. In other words, garbage.

And at least most other grindfests actually REWARD you at a stable and predictable rate for doing said grinding. Minecraft just says "dig randomly in one direction and MAYBE you'll find something worthwhile."

"Oh goody! That means I can go back inside and keep playing ~Minecraft!~"

Heh, the way he said "Minecraft" was so funny.

Anyway, seems like Yahtzee really likes his open-world freedom-filled games.

Fronzel:
Wow, no rage at all.

Well, except for the lack of instruction thing.

But its hard to rage on a game that really has no point beyond "HEY, BUILD SOMETHING BEFORE DARK DAMNIT!"

OT: I dont know, I kinda thought it would, but when gaming was a trickle, or when you had to pay full price for it. still, glad he liked it. It seemed like his kinda game. Bout the only way it could be better for him (and me and a few popel I know) is if you can go and take apart stuff people have built while they're trying to build. XD my friend has a castle thats impenitrable, so I want to go pick a hole in it that will let in the creepers since he wont expect it and watch him get killed inside. XD

I like the fact he got the point of minecraft, you don't have any goals or points, you just build crap and survive the freaking creepers.

I think he liked it... Not sure tho, since the amount of sarcasm in ZP's videos could makes me to clean my ears out of brown goo every Wednesday night.. But yeah that that basically what minecraft is and why I like it. Also eternal Beta status allows free content that any AAA-title would classify as an updat... Sorry I mean: DLC that we will pay 10-20 euros for...

darmey:
"Glesgae"?

Just a warning to anybody who might be thinking of visiting Scotland, perhaps to trace non-existent family roots: going into Glasgow and calling it "Glesgae" is a sure fire way to have your eyes gouged out with broken bottles - and that's just from the grannies.

But at least we'll tell them where the hospital is afterwards :) we're such a friendly city.

Before seeing the video: "Oh, look, Zero Punctuation is on Minecraft, this should be interesting."

After seeing video, however, it became clear that Minecraft really lacked adequate material for Yahtzee to work with. It's a heavily-accessible sandbox, it does what it does well, what more was there to be said?

Look forward to the Extra Punctuation article on it, though, perhaps that'll fill in the gaps somewhat.

Lol that was great sounds like he really likes it.
This vid made me want to play MC more than anything else on it I've seen.

"That's a lovely pie chart you've you got there. Shame if something were to happen to it." - Creeper

Huh he hasn't made a "Like my dad" Insult in a awhile I wonder if his dad is really as he mentions.

jck4332:
Fucking creepers.

^This forever

Also: Silly Yahtzee, Creepers don't die when the sun comes up, only Zombies and Skeletons do that.

I keep hearing about Minecraft. I guess I'll have to check it out at some point.

The reason it hasn't interested me that much is because similar mods and building-games haven't interested me in the past. I just always get bored with the cyber-world and go back to building models and miniatures in the real world.

And sometimes let my tarantulas have walk among them so I can pretend a giant mosnter is attacking the city.

Everybody builds Castle Greyskull. Real men build it with obsidian, in the Nether.
Seriously, with this much hate for the creepers, I would love to hear Yahtzee go off on ghasts.

This review REALLY made me want to get this game, but I am literally terrified that if I do then it will consume me in addiction - I procrastinate work enough as it is but I'm just so damn curious! >.<

Where exactly is the free beta now? The main site is clogged up with paid versions, meaning by this point I wonder if I should care if the next version is going to become obsolete in the coming weeks.

EDIT: Got an answer, so don't bother. Last time I asked a question on a ZP thread I was flooded with over 30 inbox notifications.

CopperBoom:

ZodiacBraves:

CopperBoom:
Since I have not ever played the game, do Creepers really look like big green pricks or is that a "knob" joke?

Indeed they do, my roommate and I refer to them as the exploding penis monsters.

Oh okay.
Thanks for reporting, the video was kind of "cock heavy" so I was not sure if that was just more of the motif.

You tell me;

OT; Find it weird that he does a review off minecraft when itīs in itīs beta phase. And I think Notch have "make a tutorial" on his to do list in the far future.

I must admit, this was NOT what I expected when I logged onto the Escapist this morning.

I once saw a moat that someone built around their house. It was situated so that the enemies would fall in, get swept onto a wall of glass facing into the basement of the house, and drown without getting out because the hole at the bottom of the wall was too small for them. The reason for said hole is to collect the items that they drop into a neat little trough.

So, yes. These little creatures accidentally fall into this trough, then are pressed against a transparent wall that shows their salvation on the other side without letting them though. They then slowly drown and make items for the creator's profit.

Moral of the story? Sadism is quite fun in Minecraft.

this is really weird yesterday i said that Yahtzee would review it and now it is so.... hmm i declare my self a messiah fallow me to the promised land.

That review was pretty much like every other review of Minecraft out there. Which is not really a bad thing!

proctorninja2:
this is really weird yesterday i said that Yahtzee would review it and now it is so.... hmm i declare my self a messiah fallow me to the promised land.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. With a million stopped clocks, one of them will probably be correct any time of the day!

Those exploding things REALLY look like penises. Just sayin'.

Stabby Joe:
Where exactly is the free beta now? The main site is clogged up with paid versions, meaning by this point I wonder if I should care if the next version is going to become obsolete in the coming weeks.

There is no free beta. You can play the classic alpha version, which is a very old version of minecraft.
If you buy an account now, you get a discount on the release version, with the bonus that you can play the beta now.

And be carefull, it's not so much an addiction of "I got to play!" more a "hey, where did the last 10 hours go?"

Stabby Joe:

There is no free beta. It's been a purchased game since Alpha.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Doctor Graham Garden? I am proud of your Goodie Knowledge, sir.

"Fisherprice Shoggoths"...hahahahhahahhah

"That's spelt G-R-A-E-M-E. [Graeme grimaces and scribbles a correction of his own name]"

So, Yahtzee likes Minecraft, and mentions the Goodies. This video could not possibly be better than it just was.

Minecraft is fun, but for me it paled next to Dwarf Fortress. After playing that content laden civilization sim, Minecraft just felt bland and lonely. Mining never held interest for long due to the lack of variety and interesting things to find. Building only carried so far before you just wound up with a series of empty rooms and corridors, which could be spruced up slightly if there was any furniture that could be made.

Those animals also get annoying. You can build a fort in the middle of the ocean and animals still flock to you like you're some incarnation of Moses.

yourbeliefs:

Rikortez:
I really need to give this minecraft a try, its just...that paying for a beta..., oh well.

Exactly... the fact that I'm paying for an unfinished product is a little screwed up in my opinion. At least release some sort of a "demo" version where we can try it out first, where like after 1 day you lose all your progress unless you buy the thing. $20 - $30 for this seems a little excessive to me.

Survival Multiplayer is in beta, and it's running fine. By which I mean I'm dying about as much as I use to in single player. I play it as a sort of pot-holing/survival-horror mutant. With a castle base. Mk 2.

viking97:
awesomeness beyond words.
i wish i had some actual creative talent, then maybe i could get into mincraft, and i'd probably have a lot of fun too.

same, I can play it. But I always repetitively restart my worlds, because my imagination is terrible when it comes to creating and building. Still a good game though, and a brilliant video :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here