No Right Answer: Best TV Doctor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I, like the other nerds in this thread, assumed it was about The Doctor, from whom all other titles of "Doctor" stem. But it was a fun discussion, nonetheless.

Coincidentally, I observe your PPG box in the background. And now I want to watch them. Good job, background references.

nope, best doc was Dr. Carson Beckett from Stargate Atlantis! heck, he put a retro-virus in someone to change their entire dna! now that's doing some science!

Great episode guys. This was a great example of "No Right Answer" between two excellent candidates. Though I also liked the episodes with two silly candidates, or the two worst candidates.

If you're going to do an episode on The Doctor, I recommend not going the "two best candidates" route. Do something like your Batman episode and argue between Rowan Atkinson (Doctor Who and the Curse of Fatal Death) and Paul McGann (the Doctor Who TV movie).

Dr J. of course... i mean the doctor that Michael J Fox played in Scrubs, he has a medical and a Surgery spacialty, kicked Dr. Cox's ass in rounds and performed a (dont remember the name of the surgery) in like 6 seconds. He's Super Doc... Super Doc... Super Doc... alright, Super Doc with OCD.

I'm of the opinion that the answer to this question SHOULD have been Dr "Hawk-eye" Pierce of M*A*S*H. i really dislike house, though i am a big fan of Dr Cox. Hawk-eye is simply the better doctor, he loses fewer patients despite being in a war-zone.

House is still the better doctor, he did after all predict a never before seen heart defect which saved a Cuban woman's life.

Also keep in mind that he's given the cases that other "normal" doctors can't figure out.

I'll take any doctor from M*A*S*H over house any day.

You guys are funny, house is a joke of a show.

Doctor House would kill the majority of his patients in real life just by virtue of testing them to death. This isn't simple conjecture on my part. This is based on what real doctors have said of the show.

That, and I know people, who aren't doctors, who regularly make a game of beating House to the diagnosis just by using medical search engines. They usually win.

For those saying Doctor Who, I wouldn't really want the Doctor as my medical caregiver. For one, he doesn't seem to have all that much medical experience, and secondly, a lot of people around him die or are put into horrible situations. Just saying.

In on-topic terms of best TV doctor, I'd go with Cox myself. House is so completely unrealistic that, if I saw him or someone like him working as a doctor in a hospital, I'd likely go to a different hospital. One more argument against him that was missed was that he wouldn't mind putting you through intense physical and mental pain just to find an answer. Nor would he really care if you lived or died as long as he found out what was wrong with you before it happened.

Cox, while fairly unrealistic as well I think, is much more realistic about his goals. Yes, he might know that if he's treating you, you'll likely die. He's also more likely to try his hardest to heal you, even getting his army of minions to work on your case as well. Plus I could laugh at his antics with his staff.

Going the really non-realistic route, I think Tony-Tony chopper would be a good one. As others have said, he follows anime-rules for healing. A little rest can pretty much heal anything in those types of shows.

What about Doogie Howser or does this only pertain to currently running shows?

When I saw the title, I (like everyone else, apparently) thought of an 11 man battle royale. Then it wasn't and I was sad. Then I saw the mention Dr Cox and I was happy again.

and hey, Dr Cox is hella foxy.

What about the other Doctor?

The emergency medical hologram from Star Trek Voyager, I mean.

its going to be sickening how many people will say "the Doctor" is the best doctor when his title is more educational rather than medical.

Anyway, I would say dr. Crusher. why? cause then you're going to get to hang out on the Enterprise, and she doesnt lose a patient (usually) they usually come to her dead.

EDIT: also, house has lost patients. Im rather sure he lost the black girl who had the building fall on her, I know he lost the guy who brought his dog in with hi, and I think he's lost a few more.

That so many commenters mentioned the Doctor warms my heart, it really does.

Firefilm:
Wow, we totally didn't realize how everyone would assume we were talking about Dr. Who instead of medical doctors. Sound off if you want us to do an episode on THE doctor, and which two choices we should debate with!

You guys should definantly do a Dr. Who episode. Tom Baker is a must to be on one side, And i would like to see Matt Smith or Christopher Eccleston on the other side. Though you'll probably go with David Tennant as the other if you do the episode since he was extremely popular as the character... Though for me I never really felt that David Tennant was actually playing the Doctor but a human who was filling his shoes for a time. Don't get me wrong I the show when was in it.(except the Season with Martha. They did a horrible job writing her.) I just didn't think he was playing the Doctor. One of the things that makes The Doctor The Doctor is his tons of quarks it shows his alien side of him.

David Tennant didn't have a lot these, His character was too serious and too human. Matt Smith on the other hand is extremely quarky, but lacks that serious side of the Doctor. It's is almost like he was making up for lack of quirks of his predecessor. My favorite of the New Doctors is Christopher Eccleston. He had the right balance, between his serious side, and his quarks. It's a shame he only signed on for one season, because I would have liked to see him play the Doctor at least one more season.

Oh on to the topic, I say House is the better Medical Doctor, however I wouldn't want to ever be seen by him. Since I do not ever want to be that sick to be seen by him.

darkbshadow:

Firefilm:
Wow, we totally didn't realize how everyone would assume we were talking about Dr. Who instead of medical doctors. Sound off if you want us to do an episode on THE doctor, and which two choices we should debate with!

You guys should definantly do a Dr. Who episode. Tom Baker is a must to be on one side, And i would like to see Matt Smith or Christopher Eccleston on the other side. Though you'll probably go with David Tennant as the other if you do the episode since he was extremely popular as the character... Though for me I never really felt that David Tennant was actually playing the Doctor but a human who was filling his shoes for a time. Don't get me wrong I the show when was in it.(except the Season with Martha. They did a horrible job writing her.) I just didn't think he was playing the Doctor. One of the things that makes The Doctor The Doctor is his tons of quarks it shows his alien side of him.

David Tennant didn't have a lot these, His character was too serious and too human. Matt Smith on the other hand is extremely quarky, but lacks that serious side of the Doctor. It's is almost like he was making up for lack of quirks of his predecessor. My favorite of the New Doctors is Christopher Eccleston. He had the right balance, between his serious side, and his quarks. It's a shame he only signed on for one season, because I would have liked to see him play the Doctor at least one more season.

Oh on to the topic, I say House is the better Medical Doctor, however I wouldn't want to ever be seen by him. Since I do not ever want to be that sick to be seen by him.

Really? I thought Tennant was over flowing with quirk compared to Eccleston. Most of the time when I think back to the first season I end up thinking Tennant was in it.

Also no love for Jon Pertwee? He knew karate.

esperandote:
Dr J. of course... i mean the doctor that Michael J Fox played in Scrubs, he has a medical and a Surgery spacialty, kicked Dr. Cox's ass in rounds and performed a (dont remember the name of the surgery) in like 6 seconds. He's Super Doc... Super Doc... Super Doc... alright, Super Doc with OCD.

Doctor J. What does basketball have to do with this? I guess next up would be Doctor Dre.

MarlonBlazed:
I'll take any doctor from M*A*S*H over house any day.

You guys are funny, house is a joke of a show.

DAMMIT! Ninja'd!

I was going to say Captain Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce.

The guy arguing for House won immediately when he noted their track record for dead patients.

The other guy brought up a good point about House having to go through 9 different tests vs. Cox who only needs a few.

Still I think I'd rather be alive and in debt than dead.

Oh and out of curiosity how long have you two known each other?

Sassafrass will be disappoint.
I, as everyone else, was expecting The Doctor, but I guess he's too obvious.

ahem

Father Time:
The guy arguing for House won immediately when he noted their track record for dead patients.

The other guy brought up a good point about House having to go through 9 different tests vs. Cox who only needs a few.

They have known each other for many years. Why, does it show? ;)

gotta go with The good Doctor Who. He better be covered seeing how much i have to pay for health insurance

Firefilm:

Father Time:

They have known each other for many years. Why, does it show? ;)

Yes. I don't know if I got into that kinda argument with someone I've only known for a short time I'd get a little more heated than them.

IDK I guess I'm used to arguments like this leading to sarcasm and insults in the name of good fun.

I got a good debate for you guys.

The better action movie

Terminator 2 or Die Hard.

No Right Answer has easily become one of my favorite shows on the Escapist.

However, I think Dr. Cox has something to say about the results of today's episode.

Firefilm:

Well, the most obvious answer is a match between the 2 fan favorites: Tom Bakker and David Tennant. I'm not exactly an avid follower of the show, but I'd be fascinated to hear your opinions on this :)

(my vote is for Tennant.)

As with everyone else who has commented so far I immediately assumed The Doctor would at least be mentioned.
I was severely disappointed until they mentioned my next favorite character: Dr. Cox!

Seriously, he is the only reason I watch Scrubs and one of my favorite characters on TV. I call the argument invalid by viewer fiat. Dr. Cox is the best.

Dr_Horrible:

Firefilm:

Well, the most obvious answer is a match between the 2 fan favorites: Tom Bakker and David Tennant. I'm not exactly an avid follower of the show, but I'd be fascinated to hear your opinions on this :)

(my vote is for Tennant.)

That would be a refreshing break from the incessant Tennant vs Smith. Blugh, what a stupid argument; that shouldn't even be a contest. Tennant.

Obviously, it's The Doctor.

Sometimes I wish that they'd kept it going after Sylvester McCoy's run...with talented, dedicated writers, of course.

Steve Butts:
Give me Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, any day.

Yow!

Says the guy with DR. STRANGE as his avatar.

Compared to all the posters here, I feel alone in realizing that it was going to be Dr. House before the video even started. And I really like Doctor Who, but that didn't come to mind until I saw this thread.

I'm so tired of doctor who fans ruining any discussion ever about any sort of doctor. I for one don't get why doctor who is so popular. I find it boring and way over hyped.

Seriously no one cares about Doctor who, he's not even a doctor.

Look at the avatar. Now you have your answer. Simple.

(Though Scrubs is still hilarious.)

SomeLameStuff:
You're BOTH wrong! The best doctor is of course, this guy.

Yeah man come on.
Should've been House vs the Doctor.
Who's Doctor Cox?

Zaverexus:

That would be a refreshing break from the incessant Tennant vs Smith. Blugh, what a stupid argument; that shouldn't even be a contest. Tennant.

Oh please...His tenth incarnation was a pretty emo boy with two emotions, at least eleventh has some guts, and some damn good lines.

synobal:
I'm so tired of doctor who fans ruining any discussion ever about any sort of doctor.

As was said before, if you're asking "Who is the best Doctor?" then "Who IS the best Doctor."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here