Eve Online Council Chairman to Resign for Treatment of Suicidal Player

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

ClanCrusher:
I don't think this person should have to 'step down' from this game. Yes, what he did was wrong. Yes, it merited an apology, but in the end, this is just a game, not the real world, and by all accounts the 'victim' in this appears to be fine, so I'm under the impression that no permanent harm came from it.

Except games like EVE shows people who they really are deep down inside.

This guy puts on his niceguy charade every day for fear of retribution.

knight4light:

Kinguendo:
You dont play a game and suddenly become a different person, I have some roleplay characters in some RPGs but its just variations of my actual personality. I dont do things that I wouldnt do, surely thats obvious to everyone? This guy is lying, you dont be a dick for the character if being that way makes you feel (surprisingly) like a dick.

Playing a game isnt an act, its a game... its something you play for fun. If being a dick is something you find fun then yes, you are a dick. Again, this guy is a lying liar who lies.

thats like saying anyone who went full renegade in mass effect or even swtor is a cold heartless ass who only thinks about getting the job done. when infact they could be playing renegade for the fact that they want to be someone they are not. hense the 'ROLE PLAYING" bit. Its a game. people can be whoever they want to be. Not everyone is a heartless bastard in EVE. one of my corpmates i met on there has become a great friend and we play other games as well. Yes eve is harsh. so what. Thats life. all of you who say that if you were there you would have stormed the stage and slugged him are full of it. you would have been sitting in the croud with the rest of them. laughing along with everyone else. and if you actually did feel that it was wrong you still wouldnt have done anything cuz that is just how society is. everyone takes the high road after the fact so that they feel like they're better than everyone else.

face facts. you arnt. nobody is a saint. at most you would do is probbaly what the one who started this whole blown up thing did. tell people. yeah. after its all over and it sinks in then you feel that it was horrible. but in that place. at that time. feeding off the engery. it was just another eve joke. a horrible one. but still. things like that arnt limited to only eve players. things like that happen all the time. everywhere. i dont see people raging over every threat, every harassment. Yet give it a public setting and it would blow out of proportion. i bet many of you people would say the exact same thing if it was WoW or LoL community that did it.

Real life isnt all sunshine and bronies. It is harsh. It is twisted. But it is still life. there is always good in it. Now maybe if people started acting on it instead of just stating things after the fact we might have a chance. but as it stands. those who dont act on it are just as bad as the ones who did the actions. Inaction is a choice as well. so all you good people start acting on your beliefs!

I for one. if i was there and drunk.. which sadly i couldnt attend and i dont drink. (blasphemous i know. eve = beer)... i probably would have enjoyed the entire pannel.. then i would have felt that that last joke was kinda wrong but then i would have gotten over it and been joygasming to the next eve trailer/dev pannel/ etc.

as the Great God Moder of the universe once said. "those without sin cast the first stone"

so.. whos going to be first?

but Serously people. its done. its over. he appologized, gave him compensation, and is considering resigning. probably "considering" because eve is torn right now. many people want him to stay and many want him to step down. and seeingas the elections barely finished its going to be complicated for a while.

Notice how you quote games where your actions don't affect other people?

If you grief people in starting areas for MMOs, I'd consider you a prick there too.

ClanCrusher:
I don't think this person should have to 'step down' from this game. Yes, what he did was wrong. Yes, it merited an apology, but in the end, this is just a game, not the real world, and by all accounts the 'victim' in this appears to be fine, so I'm under the impression that no permanent harm came from it.

but its something that could quite easiely have escallated and resulted in someone killing themselves. its cyber bullying. zero tolerance should be standard for this

Alandoril:
He's lucky he is not being investigated for manslaughter.

you do know someone has to die before you can be investigated for manslaughter right?

I never wanted him to get elected. however he was. and i want him to stay there. he has done nothing wrong that deserves resignation. yes, i did say he did nothing wrong.

Logarithmic Limbo:

jurnag12:
...roleplay as a villain...

He isn't roleplaying shit, he is a sociopathic cunt and a bully, fortunatelly too busy playing EVE and masturbating furiosly to leave his basement to set fire to small animals in his backyard.

That's just naive supposition on your part.

... he could very well take 5 minute breaks every few hours to set fire to a small animal and you know it.

subtlefuge:
His actions at the panel didn't completely prove that he's a sociopath. How frighteningly close to sincere his completely insincere apology looks does.

Being able to fake empathy and compassion while stroking your own ego and insulting the person you are apologizing to, now that's fucked up.

So apart from being a sociopath he's an Master Troll as well. Damn that guy knows his shit.

OT: Honestly if you suicide over stuff like this yer pretty pathetic. At worst i'd feel bad and probably stop playing the game. But too actually commit suicide? Whaaaaaaaaaat.

And to me Goonswarm seems like something the devs will have to deal with in the future if they want to keep the game alive for Dust514 to be anything more than an overglorified mmofps wannabe.

http://i.imgur.com/BR83Z.png

hmmmm...

Dunno if you know but 11 bil isk is... well... hell
Let me put it into context
transfered into PLEX it could get you 2 years of playing EvE
It could buy you a small fleet of your own
It's really a lot of cash and considering it's for a really bad player (because the harrased player is horrible at this game) it's not a bad deal.

Sure, the guy went over the line, and drinking before public speech in of itself is horrible but I don't see a big problem with it.

People seem to unaware how brutal EvE is. It's a trolling game, a true sandbox, one of the few left. Not to be rude, but being an ass is one of the most entertaining things that can happen. Sure, when I bought my first awsome (in my eyes) ship after a month of playing and I had it blown out casually by some group, I fealt really heartbroken and stopped playing EvE but hell, this is a charm of this game, and it gets tremendous amount of respect from me.

If you can't take it, don't play it. That's the bottom line.

cieply:
http://i.imgur.com/BR83Z.png

hmmmm...

Dunno if you know but 11 bil isk is... well... hell
Let me put it into context
transfered into PLEX it could get you 2 years of playing EvE
It could buy you a small fleet of your own
It's really a lot of cash and considering it's for a really bad player (because the harrased player is horrible at this game) it's not a bad deal.

Sure, the guy went over the line, and drinking before public speech in of itself is horrible but I don't see a big problem with it.

People seem to unaware how brutal EvE is. It's a trolling game, a true sandbox, one of the few left. Not to be rude, but being an ass is one of the most entertaining things that can happen. Sure, when I bought my first awsome (in my eyes) ship after a month of playing and I had it blown out casually by some group, I fealt really heartbroken and stopped playing EvE but hell, this is a charm of this game, and it gets tremendous amount of respect from me.

If you can't take it, don't play it. That's the bottom line.

I don't know if giving you a shovel is needed at this point.
But the polite thing would be to ask...So, shovel? I mean, honestly, with:

you're really just cementing "EvE players aren't very nice."

NortherWolf:
snip

But I'm not even an eve player. I told you, I got my ass handed to me as I broke the nr1 rule of EVE "never buy a ship you cannot afford to lose".

I just want to put this into perspective, EvE isn't a land of friendship where this is something outrageous. EvE is corporate warfare, where you cannot feel safe at any time. You will get punished for mistakes, losing often days if not weeks of work and all you gonna get is a laugh in your face when they salvage your wreckege.

EvE allows you to play role of a pirate. And pirates are assholes. You should really just take it and learn and if you cannot then leave as this game is about freedom.

Just saying.

If anyone is interested in a level-headed analysis of this crysis by someone who actually knows the subject, then you can read this blog post; http://jestertrek.blogspot.ca/2012/03/hats.html

Personally, I consider all of this a media flare. It will all die off in a week and people will no longer care.

What I find the most infuriating is the number of people who pretend to know what EVE is even if they haven't played more than a few hours. This is pathetic.

how do you get that drunk when you have to be a presenter?

doesnt it go through your head at some point that 'hey i have to get up and speak in front of a lot of people, maybe i want to be able to avoid slurring my words and doing something completely unforgivable so i will only have a couple of beers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXOHjQoq0Rs&feature=plcp&context=C479f13bVDvjVQa1PpcFNG6-L4YKiGOMsoQi9zUvI27f7kHW5LhPg= an interesting quote from a former CEO of goonswarm, he's answering the question "Is it really goonswarm mission to destroy the game"

cieply:

NortherWolf:
snip

But I'm not even an eve player. I told you, I got my ass handed to me as I broke the nr1 rule of EVE "never buy a ship you cannot afford to lose".

I just want to put this into perspective, EvE isn't a land of friendship where this is something outrageous. EvE is corporate warfare, where you cannot feel safe at any time. You will get punished for mistakes, losing often days if not weeks of work and all you gonna get is a laugh in your face when they salvage your wreckege.

EvE allows you to play role of a pirate. And pirates are assholes. You should really just take it and learn and if you cannot then leave as this game is about freedom.

Just saying.

There is a difference between real life and in game. Fine he blew up his ship and extorted money in game but launching a personal and public attack on the same player clearly isn't in game. He prepared a power point slide designed to publicly humiliate a player in a public meeting, which is vastly different to playing a role of pirate in game. This is the biggest problem with online communities, the anonymity lets people behave in certain ways because there are no consequences to that behaviour. If they behaved like that in real life they would be spending most of their life lying on the ground with a bleeding nose. This guy took his in game behaviour into an environment where there are consequences and now he is going to have to pay the price.

albino boo:
snip

By no means am I defending mittens, he acted like an idiot, and naming the guy was way over the line. But then again, it was an in game nick (also note that name of the guy was not in the presentation, it was intended to stay hidden, but alcohol got better of that guy). So in a way, it was all still about the game, in a game. What can I say, he did something awful and will pay the price, I only have a problem with crusaders that don't even know reality of EvE. What you see here is pretty much average goonswarm behaviour. Not one guy, the entire alliance.

In no way am I justifying Mittens, I just want to put it into perspective for the people who don't know EVE. And it's not as bad as it looks (if not for the name it would be totally standard goonswarm).

It didn't seem sincere, it seemed like he was caving to social pressure and/or covering his ass in an attempt to not lose his position.

Masked Vigilantes strike! Break every bone in his gaming/wanking hands!

FelixG:

Logarithmic Limbo:

jurnag12:
...roleplay as a villain...

He isn't roleplaying shit, he is a sociopathic cunt and a bully, fortunatelly too busy playing EVE and masturbating furiosly to leave his basement to set fire to small animals in his backyard.

subtlefuge:
His actions at the panel didn't completely prove that he's a sociopath. How frighteningly close to sincere his completely insincere apology looks does.

Being able to fake empathy and compassion while stroking your own ego and insulting the person you are apologizing to, now that's fucked up.

Because it is ever so easy to judge someone based on one action and never meeting the person!

I would post a few things judging people on single posts as well here on the escapist...but I would likely get banned!

I've had enough dealings with him directly and indirectly to form an informed opinion.

FelixG:

Fappy:
At least he gave an honest apology and will likely step down (as it is the tasteful thing to do). Not really anything more he can do to rectify the situation short of helping out the guy he made fun of in some way.

Well, he did help the guy out a fair bit, he gave him 11 billion Isk (in game currency) as soon as he posted that twitter, that is equivalent of paying for the guys account for just under two years.

I would love it if a goon payed for my account for two years!

11 bill is a fart in nulsec space, its 4-5 well fitted marauders, and represents perhaps a couple days of income for him. It is an insult, that what it is.

knight4light:

Kinguendo:
You dont play a game and suddenly become a different person, I have some roleplay characters in some RPGs but its just variations of my actual personality. I dont do things that I wouldnt do, surely thats obvious to everyone? This guy is lying, you dont be a dick for the character if being that way makes you feel (surprisingly) like a dick.

Playing a game isnt an act, its a game... its something you play for fun. If being a dick is something you find fun then yes, you are a dick. Again, this guy is a lying liar who lies.

thats like saying anyone who went full renegade in mass effect or even swtor is a cold heartless ass who only thinks about getting the job done. when infact they could be playing renegade for the fact that they want to be someone they are not. hense the 'ROLE PLAYING" bit. Its a game. people can be whoever they want to be. Not everyone is a heartless bastard in EVE. one of my corpmates i met on there has become a great friend and we play other games as well. Yes eve is harsh. so what. Thats life. all of you who say that if you were there you would have stormed the stage and slugged him are full of it. you would have been sitting in the croud with the rest of them. laughing along with everyone else. and if you actually did feel that it was wrong you still wouldnt have done anything cuz that is just how society is. everyone takes the high road after the fact so that they feel like they're better than everyone else.

face facts. you arnt. nobody is a saint. at most you would do is probbaly what the one who started this whole blown up thing did. tell people. yeah. after its all over and it sinks in then you feel that it was horrible. but in that place. at that time. feeding off the engery. it was just another eve joke. a horrible one. but still. things like that arnt limited to only eve players. things like that happen all the time. everywhere. i dont see people raging over every threat, every harassment. Yet give it a public setting and it would blow out of proportion. i bet many of you people would say the exact same thing if it was WoW or LoL community that did it.

Real life isnt all sunshine and bronies. It is harsh. It is twisted. But it is still life. there is always good in it. Now maybe if people started acting on it instead of just stating things after the fact we might have a chance. but as it stands. those who dont act on it are just as bad as the ones who did the actions. Inaction is a choice as well. so all you good people start acting on your beliefs!

I for one. if i was there and drunk.. which sadly i couldnt attend and i dont drink. (blasphemous i know. eve = beer)... i probably would have enjoyed the entire pannel.. then i would have felt that that last joke was kinda wrong but then i would have gotten over it and been joygasming to the next eve trailer/dev pannel/ etc.

as the Great God Moder of the universe once said. "those without sin cast the first stone"

so.. whos going to be first?

but Serously people. its done. its over. he appologized, gave him compensation, and is considering resigning. probably "considering" because eve is torn right now. many people want him to stay and many want him to step down. and seeingas the elections barely finished its going to be complicated for a while.

...full renegade...

Would only inconvenience a bunch of electrons, going out of your way to grief ppl in an MMO is a dick move. Period.

...Its a game...

It is still people playing that game. If you fail to see that you got a issues and should be kept separate from the rest of the population.

...nobody is a saint...

Nope, guilty as charged, I am only human. But still, I do not go out of my way to grief people.

...Real life isnt all sunshine and bronies...

Yup, true dat, life sucks and then you die. But it does not get any better by actively and purposfully griefing other people.

...drunk...

In vino veritas. Or if you will, "In three things is a man revealed; in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

...those without sin cast the first stone...

I got a pile of rocks stacked in the yard, just give me a time and place.

...he appologized...

He is sorry he was called out, not for what he did. Big difference.

He does what he does because he knows he will get away with it, if he knew he would get away with it IRL he would be an even bigger dick. As a contrast, I try to do the right thing, even when there is no one watching. Call me a sentimental do-gooder, I am who I am.

A passage from Doctor Glas comes to mind;

"A human being wants to be loved;
failing that, admired;
failing that, feared;
failing that, hated and despised.

We want to stir up some sort of feeling in others, at any cost.
The soul shudders before the void, and wants to reach out and touch, at any cost."

Makes you wonder what went wrong with him.

FelixG:

Alandoril:

you do know someone has to die before you can be investigated for manslaughter right?

Only a matter of time before he manages to bully someone to off themselves.

Heimir:

subtlefuge:

So apart from being a sociopath he's an Master Troll as well. Damn that guy knows his shit.

OT: Honestly if you suicide over stuff like this yer pretty pathetic. At worst i'd feel bad and probably stop playing the game. But too actually commit suicide? Whaaaaaaaaaat.

And to me Goonswarm seems like something the devs will have to deal with in the future if they want to keep the game alive for Dust514 to be anything more than an overglorified mmofps wannabe.

Ppl get pushed over the edge by seemingly smaller things than this. Does not make it pathetic, only more tragic. Most certainly does not make it ok, in any way, shape or form.

cieply:

By no means am I defending mittens, he acted like an idiot, and naming the guy was way over the line. But then again, it was an in game nick (also note that name of the guy was not in the presentation, it was intended to stay hidden, but alcohol got better of that guy). So in a way, it was all still about the game, in a game. What can I say, he did something awful and will pay the price, I only have a problem with crusaders that don't even know reality of EvE. What you see here is pretty much average goonswarm behaviour. Not one guy, the entire alliance.

In no way am I justifying Mittens, I just want to put it into perspective for the people who don't know EVE. And it's not as bad as it looks (if not for the name it would be totally standard goonswarm).

I don't buy this heat of the moment thing. He must have searched trough his eve mail to find it, transferred to a power point slide and by some means got it to the projector. That pretty much looks like premeditated action to me. To a certain extent hes unlucky in that its got picked up the gaming media, if it gets into the main stream media he so going to be banned. CCP have created the monster by having an anything goes policy. That policy is now risking their viability by creating the image that its ok to try and hound poeple to death in EVE.

Is it just me or are MMO "cons" getting increasingly dark and hostile? The last Blizzcon had several incidents of out-right horde-on-alliance player violence plus a musical act which espoused and supported such things(Which I think is the reason the subsequent Blizzcon was canceled).

Here, we have someone who's a pretty big influence of Eve espousing the harassment of depressed players till they are suicidal. This says an awful lot about the MMO community. I know that community at large basically went to hell once WoW came out, but it is, bewilderingly, actually getting worse by the looks of things.

Upon reading through these comments, I think EvE players are the most horrid humans alive now. I said in jest when this story broke that the EvE community would be all behind this sort of campaign because it would be one less person to compete with if he committed suicide, but going through the comments just here? Christ, It sounds like I wasn't joking after all. The WoW community may have far more than their fair share of 12yr old trolls, but at least I don't think they'd shoot me in the face if we both went to pick up a quarter on the ground at the same time.

cieply:

albino boo:
snip

The thing is, why was that slide in the presentation to begin with? In my opinion he crossed the line (if just barely) as soon as it popped up. He placed a message done by potential suicide person (even if it was just feint), and called people to make fun it. Then mittian's initial response when someone calls him out on it, to include what he had said, his reply was "deal with it~". Mittins or The Mittani was clearly given the information before he gave any response, and it's only now that there maybe some backlash that he is back pedaling.

ClanCrusher:

rolfwesselius:

jurnag12:

rolfwesselius:

On his command his alliance has taken control of nearly all sources of Oxygen isotopes in the game strangling all the fuel supplies of every player in the game.
Now they are the only ones who can afford to field capital ships for sustained periods of time.
They say their goal is to ruin the game.
They perform mass killing and ganking.
They are from the fucking something awefull forums.
They bribe voters for the player run council.
The guy who was being bullied has been targeted by his fleet and is now under constant danger.

Aside from the "Ruin the game" and the " bribin' and bullyin' " bits, that sounds like perfectly valid tactics for a game like EVE.
If Goonswarm is such a problem, why doesn't everyone gang up on them and force them down with brute force and strength of numbers? Get a load of stealth bombers in there and run the weakest of their holds down till you have regained at least a semblance of a stable fuel supply line and start bombing them to hell like how they did Band of Brothers. Then wait for someone to come along and dethrone you a few years down the line.

They got 7000 ships ready for battle. A gigantic spy network, if a coporation even suggests attacking them they get 7000 ships turning their bases to ash.
If you want to have a fuel line you would need to be able to fight 7000 ships 2000 of which are capital ships.
And even if an alliance becomes big enough it will be targeted and put on a threat list by the goons.
And How can you field thousands of capital ships if you cant even fuel them?
They also got VERY deep pockets they could hire thousands of mercenaries or just bribe alliance members.

so they are the neighbor hood builies and pricks who happen to control about the vast majoriety of the game. Power corrupts i suppose.

Eveonline100:

ClanCrusher:

rolfwesselius:

jurnag12:

Aside from the "Ruin the game" and the " bribin' and bullyin' " bits, that sounds like perfectly valid tactics for a game like EVE.
If Goonswarm is such a problem, why doesn't everyone gang up on them and force them down with brute force and strength of numbers? Get a load of stealth bombers in there and run the weakest of their holds down till you have regained at least a semblance of a stable fuel supply line and start bombing them to hell like how they did Band of Brothers. Then wait for someone to come along and dethrone you a few years down the line.

They got 7000 ships ready for battle. A gigantic spy network, if a coporation even suggests attacking them they get 7000 ships turning their bases to ash.
If you want to have a fuel line you would need to be able to fight 7000 ships 2000 of which are capital ships.
And even if an alliance becomes big enough it will be targeted and put on a threat list by the goons.
They also got VERY deep pockets they could hire thousands of mercenaries or just bribe alliance members.

so they are the neighbor hood builies and pricks who happen to control about the vast majoriety of the game. Power corrupts i suppose.

How can you be corrupted by power when you already are corrupted before you got that power?

albino boo:

cieply:

I don't buy this heat of the moment thing. He must have searched trough his eve mail to find it, transferred to a power point slide and by some means got it to the projector. That pretty much looks like premeditated action to me. To a certain extent hes unlucky in that its got picked up the gaming media, if it gets into the main stream media he so going to be banned. CCP have created the monster by having an anything goes policy. That policy is now risking their viability by creating the image that its ok to try and hound poeple to death in EVE.

Now you know why i don't play EVE (dont get me wrong well put togetheor game, nice lore and backstory) but by god the players are on a level jackassery i haven't seen in any other game.

I RP'd once and got in a gunfight.

does that make me a murderer?
I need to know 'caus there's this unmarked van outside and men in suits with sunglasses. >.>

OT: this guy seems sincere to me, I know its fun playing an arsehat in online games because of the (apperantly debatable) low damage you actually cause to someone, if you burn down someone's creation in minecraft doesn't mean you'd torch his house in real life, that's ridiculous.
the same kind of ridiculous to expect someone to shoot others without question because they played call of duty.

rolfwesselius:

Eveonline100:

ClanCrusher:

rolfwesselius:

How can you be corrupted by power when you already are corrupted before you got that power?

good point i do have to wonder how common this is any other game(WOW, Guild wars, etc..)

Is it me or does anyone find it strange that Mittani hasn't stepped down from the CSM yet?

Logarithmic Limbo:

FelixG:

Alandoril:

Heimir:

subtlefuge:

Ppl get pushed over the edge by seemingly smaller things than this. Does not make it pathetic, only more tragic. Most certainly does not make it ok, in any way, shape or form.

Not saying its right nor do I endorse such behaviour. But people need to stop taking shit like that so personal. People need to learn how to get angry instead of just spunging up all the crap they take.

Heimir:

Logarithmic Limbo:

FelixG:

Heimir:

Not saying its right nor do I endorse such behaviour. But people need to stop taking shit like that so personal. People need to learn how to get angry instead of just spunging up all the crap they take.

So what you are saying is that victims of bullying should stop being such whining pussies, man the fuck up, get pissed and stab their tormentor repeatedly in the face? That is a MUCH better coping strategy. I must try that some day, I'll let you know how it worked out. Do I have to target my tormentors, or is OK to take it out on wife and kids? Or if that feels to intimidating can I start out with kicking a puppy around and work my way up from there? Please advise, you seem to have such a good grip on these things.

Oh, by the way, when you denounce something, attaching a conditional "but" to the statement pretty much invalidates the denoucement. Let me simplify it by an example; "Bullying is bad. But you are a whiny cunt". See how wrong that came out.

Logarithmic Limbo:

Heimir:

Logarithmic Limbo:

So what you are saying is that victims of bullying should stop being such whining pussies, man the fuck up, get pissed and stab their tormentor repeatedly in the face? That is a MUCH better coping strategy. I must try that some day, I'll let you know how it worked out. Do I have to target my tormentors, or is OK to take it out on wife and kids? Or if that feels to intimidating can I start out with kicking a puppy around and work my way up from there? Please advise, you seem to have such a good grip on these things.

Oh, by the way, when you denounce something, attaching a conditional "but" to the statement pretty much invalidates the denoucement. Let me simplify it by an example; "Bullying is bad. But you are a whiny cunt". See how wrong that came out.

You're reading into a subtext that isn't there. What I said was pretty straightforward. Bullying is fucking stupid. But people are fucking sensitive and cry about even the smallest things. Obviously punching your tormentor out or taking him to court is are both much better coping strategies than crying before hanging yourself/jump of a bridge/slit your wrists.

If you're being bullied atm all I can say is man the fuck up. Some people let it take them down, some people grow and become stronger in themselves through it. Be the latter or darwinism will fix you up. Cold? Not really. There is worse things that can happen to you in the world.

Heimir:

You're reading into a subtext that isn't there. What I said was pretty straightforward. Bullying is fucking stupid. But people are fucking sensitive and cry about even the smallest things. Obviously punching your tormentor out or taking him to court is are both much better coping strategies than crying before hanging yourself/jump of a bridge/slit your wrists.

If you're being bullied atm all I can say is man the fuck up. Some people let it take them down, some people grow and become stronger in themselves through it. Be the latter or darwinism will fix you up. Cold? Not really. There is worse things that can happen to you in the world.

Your complete lack of empathy is somewhat concerning. Ever wonder why politicians think video games ought to carry warning stickers, look in the mirror.

albino boo:

Heimir:

Your complete lack of empathy is somewhat concerning. Ever wonder why politicians think video games ought to carry warning stickers, look in the mirror.

You are the one unable to be empathic as likely you have never been bullied. I know how these people feel and know what they are going through. My entire upbringing I was being bullied and excluded. So no, games are only a form of escapism. Just like books. The reason why I think they should man up and fight back instead of being suicidal weaklings is because that is their only option. I learned that the hard way. Manning up and fighting back makes it stop and puts you on the right track in life. Gives you self-confidence to do things you want to do. If you are just somebody's bitch your entire life you are not really worth the air you are breathing in the long run. It's sink or swim. It is simple.

Heimir:

albino boo:

Heimir:

You are the one unable to be empathic as likely you have never been bullied. I know how these people feel and know what they are going through. My entire upbringing I was being bullied and excluded. So no, games are only a form of escapism. Just like books. The reason why I think they should man up and fight back instead of being suicidal weaklings is because that is their only option. I learned that the hard way. Manning up and fighting back makes it stop and puts you on the right track in life. Gives you self-confidence to do things you want to do. If you are just somebody's bitch your entire life you are not really worth the air you are breathing in the long run. It's sink or swim. It is simple.

Excuses me but I suffered from PTSD after dealing with events in Kosovo due to which my first wife left me. I think I might understand depression a little more than you. Precisely how am I supposed to man up after dealing with pulling the corpses of murdered woman and children out of van that had been half sunk in river? How is a work colleague of mine supposed to man up when he lost his mother and sister inside 6 months due to cancer? In adult life you will encounter large number of poeple dealing with personal tragedies and you will find there are worse things in the world the being bullied in the playground. There is an old saying used by real men that you ought to learn, dont kick a man while hes down. What makes you think because of your limited experience dealing with a few school bullies makes you an expert in dealing with the problems of adult life.

Just... Don't get drunk at conventions or gaming tournaments... It never ends well if you're expected to speak. If you're a quiet drunk who just giggles alot go nuts. But if you're the chatty type, refrain.

You WILL say something you regret, to someone, and that person may or may not be in a public arena, and the whole internet may or may not get wind of your asshat-ery.

This is the first public apology I've heard that hasn't evoked the sensation that the person apologizing has their mother standing behind them, proding them to say "I'm very sorry" in a forced, eyes-staring-at-shoes fashion.

It might just be me, but he actually sounds heartfelt and profusely sorry about the repercussions his actions have had. He acknowledged what happened. Wow. He accepted blame for it without making excuses. Amazing. He probably has personally sent a private apology to the victim. It makes me want to show this to some company's (no names) PR reps, telling them that next time you do something riddiculous or bone-headed, that this is how it is done.

Anyways, props to the guy in a tough situation. It's not my job to forgive you your actions, but at least you've earned a bit of respect back.

Skarlette:
This is the first public apology I've heard that hasn't evoked the sensation that the person apologizing has their mother standing behind them, proding them to say "I'm very sorry" in a forced, eyes-staring-at-shoes fashion.

It might just be me, but he actually sounds heartfelt and profusely sorry about the repercussions his actions have had. He acknowledged what happened. Wow. He accepted blame for it without making excuses. Amazing. He probably has personally sent a private apology to the victim. It makes me want to show this to some company's (no names) PR reps, telling them that next time you do something riddiculous or bone-headed, that this is how it is done.

Anyways, props to the guy in a tough situation. It's not my job to forgive you your actions, but at least you've earned a bit of respect back.

It actually was heartfelt.

A lot of his own people thought he was trolling.

UPDATE:
Mittens has been banned for 30 days
Mittens has been punted from CSM 7
Mittens has been made unable to participate in CSM 8

Here is his latest speech in the state of the goons address: http://soundcloud.com/cptunderpants/state-of-the-goonion-march

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here