Ex-PlayStation PR Man: Sony Is "Sending Titles Out to Die"

Pages PREV 1 2

Gladion:

Woodsey:

Gladion:

Also: I love how he refers to his former employer as "PlayStation" not "Sony".

Sony sells a bazillion products, it makes sense.

Playstation is a product, though, a brand, no sub-department of Sony. not even SCE has the Playstation name in it.

@Other people: How was the PS3 a failure? It is the #1 reason we have blu-ray today instead of HDDVD (whether you think it's the better medium or not).

Because going by pure numbers Sony lost SO much money on the PS3 that it lost them every cent they had earned on the PS2. Not a complete failure, but let's not even PRETEND like it was even a decent success in terms of profit.

AzrealMaximillion:
This is another poor decision by Sony this generation.

Though I'm only 21 I have to ask, what the hell happened to the Sony of the PSOne and PS2 eras? How do you dominate 2 generations back to back with record breaking sales to making stupid decisions like this constantly?

They stopped localizing a lot of their good series. Others got their sequel on the handhelds, which aren't as popular over here and thus get localized even less. They aren't taking as many risks anymore and mostly concentrate on Japan.

Aiddon:
Because going by pure numbers Sony lost SO much money on the PS3 that it lost them every cent they had earned on the PS2. Not a complete failure, but let's not even PRETEND like it was even a decent success in terms of profit.

Taking a look at just the profit generated by console sales (pure numbers as you say) is far too short-sighted. In the long run, having their own technology (Blu-ray) win over the competitor (HD-DVD) was MUCH more important than losing a couple of million bucks over the course of 2-3 years. At least for a ginormous media company such as Sony. This is because now, they sell not only Blu-ray movies, but also BD-players, PC-drives (both read-only as well as read/write) and they can now concentrate better on 3D, too.
Not to forget, console manufacturers earn most of their money by selling games, not hardware. Don't quote me on this, but I think Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft earn 20-30% on each game sold, plus royalties they get from publishers. And in general, multiplatformgames sell better on PS3 than 360 (probably because it's much harder to pirate the games or maybe because PS3-owners have more money? Maybe it's because you don't have to pay for the online service. I don't know, just stating the facts).

Alright, so let's count up the fuckups this year.

EA: 4,114
Activision: 2,217
Sony: 6,180
Nintendo: 6 (YMMV)
BioWare: 3 (YMMV)
Valve: 13,422
The Escapist: 2
Obsidian: -15
Gamer Community: 4,647,229

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below: