Xbox Founder Tears Into 360 Design

Pages PREV 1 2

Dumbfish1:
Then we're agreeing with each other.

(I put the double negatives in bold for you.)

I must learn to stop posting while sleepy. :D

If I want to play a game on my 360, I press the x button on the controller, press A and seconds later I'm playing the game so I don't understand what he's on about when saying this process takes minutes over minutes.

I agree with the talk about the Kinect. It's an amazing piece of hardware that Microsoft does nothing but put crappy games on. In the hands of any moderatly competent modder or PC user the device becomes a great. I really feel they would do better selling a PC only version of the device.

Programmed_For_Damage:

I know it's a case of "first world problems" and I used to happily sit through two minute load times on consoles past, but I swear the 360 interface was not as slow as it is now.

Seriously, we don't have to put things like this in the context of first-world/third-world problems.

A bank embezzling your college fund so you can't get a higher education is a "First world problem" because people in the "third world" never had much of a prospect of that opportunity, but such a thing is hardly insignificant.

I bet the top 1% of the wealthy in First World countries are damn skippy to hear phrases like "First world problems" used, the top 1% who have as much as half of all the wealth. That's the problem with measuring the wealth of first world countries, it doesn't recognise how all those riches can be held by an extreme minority.

I say you have every right to get mad.

People in First World countries have a right to get mad, having their limited disposable income mishandled by investing it in Microsoft. This is not the super rich complaining their $1 million Bughatti Veyron doesn't have a velvet lined cup-holder. This is people who can't afford to throw away $60 getting ripped off.

The point is if we don't care about and seek to fix first world problems you will eventually find yourself in the third world

...or does Microsoft still have a ways to go in the interface and usability departments?

So, is the Xbox 360 dashboard a clusterfuck? Anyone who's used it recently knows it's an absolute disaster from a design and usability standpoint.

I can't imagine "less bad than our competitors" is going to be a strong selling point much longer, particularly if Apple throws its hat into the ring.

Mortuorum:

...or does Microsoft still have a ways to go in the interface and usability departments?

So, is the Xbox 360 dashboard a clusterfuck? Anyone who's used it recently knows it's an absolute disaster from a design and usability standpoint.

I can't imagine "less bad than our competitors" is going to be a strong selling point much longer, particularly if Apple throws its hat into the ring.

if apple joins the fray, it will have the best GUI out of the whole generation if anything.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here