BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 43 NEXT

Zeel:
I draw the line right here. You do not get to remove ESSENTIAL FUCKING content just to ship more fucking collector editions.

Fuck that. Anyone who agrees, send them an email at contact@Bioware.

I agree, Bioware is fucking their fans over when it comes to the DLC. This isn't the first time either. Lair of the shadow broker should have been in the original game, because it expands quite a bit on the romance with Liara, which is barely touched in ME2 otherwise. Arrival DLC is supposed to be important for the story as a whole, but they didn't include it in the original either.

I hate them for it, because I wouldn't normally have gotten any of the DLCs and started ME3 without playing important parts of the story.

Now they can't even add a DLC to the original game, even though it's done and they've postponed the game which was supposed to be out at the end of 2011?

War Penguin:
Wait, I want to get things straight, here: If you get the ME 3 Collector's Edition, you get the DLC for free. Does that mean the DLC is included on the disc? Or is it just free to purchase online?

If it's on disc, then if you had time to put it in the CE then why didn't you have time to put it in the regular game? Doesn't the CE take more time to make than the regular?

If it's just free online purchase: Well, I guess that makes some sense. Still, I'm not too happy about it. You'd think that this character, who had all of this mystery and lore surrounding his people, would be much more important to the story. I keep hearing that he'll still be in the story, even without the DLC, and that he's just not a squad member. That I'm okay with, and I sure as hell hope it's true.

I hope that people realize that if you buy the CE, your still paying the extra for the content... so it balances out.... people do know that...right?

Edgeless:
What grinds my gears is probably what is getting everyone else riled up too...

It's already in the game. It should be on the disc, and even if they didn't have time to put it on the disk, they should have put it as a free optional service like what Batman: Arkham City did.

With Collectors Editions, when you buy they game, you should never get anything that doesn't come with the original (Gameplay wise). Real life items (Artbooks, CD's, Figures etc), Alternate colours/costumes, Different weapons (If they're available for a cheap price/not far later down the line) are fine. Things that give you an advantage or more than the other person gave up money wise are wrong.

I can't remember, has this DLC always been advertised to come with the CE? If not, that's a dick move. I'll be buying Mass Effect 3 because I like the series, but after THIS and all the issues with SW:TOR, I probably won't be buying from them again.

no it was not on the disk, it is something that was made after the full game was sent off for all the other things like burning to disc and packaging, so basically several months ago when the Developers are just sitting around with the game finished, they went about making EXTRA content.

The Pinray:
[quote="Zeel" post="7.351892.13937012"]
All that's left to do is either buy it or not. I am free to spend my hard earned money on anything I deem worthy of it. You haven't the slightest right to tell anyone what to do with theirs.

This is the penultimate point. Vote with your dollars. I dig getting a bonus character for having preordered premium content as a kind of bonus. Although 10$ seems reasonable to me for the extra stuff, I do understand some of the ire.

Frankly speaking there isn't a reasonable business model in place for devs to pull in extra cash after selling a game new. The season pass thing is B.S. DLC packs vis-a-vis MW3 are overpriced until the game of the year editions come out. Releasing free content is a mug's game as you can generate buzz for other properties you're releasing, but aren't necessarily bringing in monies on your old game.

I think most of this stuff would disappear if there had been an announcement about a bonus piece of content for early adopters. Frankly, it is a bit out of line to expect something other than the base product for base price, but good will is generally worth a few weeks of extra work.

Zeel:

DVS BSTrD:

Doc Theta Sigma:
Every comment in this thread:

"WE SHOULD GET THIS EXTRA, COMPLETELY OPTIONAL CONTENT FOR FREE BECAUSE OF REASONS."

The character is in the game. Without having to purchase DLC. You get all his dialogue, interactions with others etc. The only thing the DLC gives you is the option to have him as a squad member.

So they removed the whole point of having him in the game at all just to make a few extra bucks on opening day? This revelation WAs supposed to dampen my outrage HOW?

Even worse. They removed him as essential and then went out of their way to develop it as a DLC. It's like going "neyneyneerr look at what the game could've been!"

God EA games are a bunch of schmucks.

You keep throwing out the word ESSENTIAL like it means something. No Squadmate is Essential. NONE OF THEM. You can chose to kill Ash or Kaiden and Wrex in 1 You can kill them all in the second. NO ONE besides Shepard and Joker are essentials to this series. Sure the Protheon adds some sort of lore to the game. But does that take away your enjoyment when you can't see him die and then bring him back to life again over and over? I really don't see how having him as a squad mate is essential at all.

so let me get this straight. the bonus character and mission announced with the collectors edition that everyone knew was going to be in it has been identified and people who bought the standard edition want it for free?

Zachery Gaskins:
"WHY DOES HIS HAMBURGER HAVE BACON? MINE DOESN'T HAVE BACON. I DON'T CARE THAT HE PAID MORE FOR HIS BURGER - YOU KNEW ALL ALONG YOU COULD PUT BACON ON THE HAMBURGER - WHY ARE YOU LYING TO US"

So what the whargarblers are saying, essentially, is that a hamburger is incomplete unless it has bacon on it?

Well done sir. I found this amusing.

Torrasque:
I havn't finished a single Mass Effect game yet, so I am enjoying this rage with a bowl of popcorns :D

Ooh, sounds yummy. Can I have some?

OT: as I've said on the fifteen versions of this thread, I don't have a problem with this since the DLC apparently only activates the Prothean as a squadmate, and the plot-relevance remains intact regardless of DLC-purchase.

This thread is a fun read, particularly because I pre-ordered 3 of the CE Mass Effects, so I can imagine my purchases canceling out all of his whining.

I also have to give a good laugh at his idea is that it is to push CE sales when they had been sold out well before this was announced.

What it comes down to, the people who are whining about bioware just want stuff for free they aren't entitled to anymore than people who bought mass effect 1 were entitled to get mass effect 2 for free.

Zeel (and his ilk) would prefer to see devs sit on their asses and twiddle their thumbs while a game is getting all its certification, but as soon as they go back to work he seems to think he is entitled to whatever they make before the game comes out, which is just wrong and childish.

Wait exactly what evidence do we have that Prothean will be essential... ?

Sure it's nice to have an ancient race make an appearance but why does this mean it's "essential for ME3"

It's fanservice pure and simple aimed for fans that invest into the Collector's Edition. A non-fan of ME3 won't give a damn about it.

darthcendiarygrenade:
Interesting that the first time this happens with Bioware is on the first release after EA bought them...

This is their first game since 2007? Wow Bioware really doesn't make games that often do they.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/11/ea-to-acquire-bioware-corp-and-pandemic-studios/

GiantRaven:

itchcrotch:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?

What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.

well, i'm actually aiming that accusation at EA over bioware. but i'm just saying the validity of this reason/excuse they've offered hindgers on the bad timing of the DLC's production being an accident, which they've cleaverly avoided saying in this response.

"Full game for full price!" crowd is funny. "Full game", "essential to story" and other words like that are meaningless.

Current games have hardly 8-10 hours of content in them (unless you count the time sinks like scanning for Iridium and unskippable cutscenes) - compared to 30-40 hours of the games of yore (and Skyrim - <3 Bethesda)

So if anything I would take offense in the fact that 1 hour of gameplay with most likely 0 replay value (DLC) is being sold to me at 10 bucks, when 8 hours of content with some decent replay value (Mass Effect 3 sans DLC) is sold at 60 bucks.

But we all know we'll buy it, or at least sufficient amount of people will buy the DLC to cover production costs and than some, justifying Bioware's business model once again. Maybe Mass Effect 4 will cost 100 bucks in the future because of that, who knows?

Savber:

Sure it's nice to have an ancient race make an appearance but why does this mean it's "essential for ME3"

It's fanservice pure and simple aimed for fans that invest into the Collector's Edition. A non-fan of ME3 won't give a damn about it.

These people read the "leaked script" from back in November and now saying that they are removing the ending from the game by making this guy a squadmate. Personally I haven't read the leaked script because I actually like experiencing a story instead of spoiling the ending for myself.

tendaji:

Savber:

These people read the "leaked script" from back in November and now saying that they are removing the ending from the game by making this guy a squadmate. Personally I haven't read the leaked script because I actually like experiencing a story instead of spoiling the ending for myself.

The thing is that the Prothean is still in the base game, the dlc adds an extra sidequest to make him a companion. Not really that big of a deal.

Sean Deli:
"Full game for full price!" crowd is funny. "Full game", "essential to story" and other words like that are meaningless.

Current games have hardly 8-10 hours of content in them (unless you count the time sinks like scanning for Iridium and unskippable cutscenes) - compared to 30-40 hours of the games of yore (and Skyrim - <3 Bethesda)

So if anything I would take offense in the fact that 1 hour of gameplay with most likely 0 replay value (DLC) is being sold to me at 10 bucks, when 8 hours of content with some decent replay value (Mass Effect 3 sans DLC) is sold at 60 bucks.

But we all know we'll buy it, or at least sufficient amount of people will buy the DLC to cover production costs and than some, justifying Bioware's business model once again. Maybe Mass Effect 4 will cost 100 bucks in the future because of that, who knows?

10 dollars is the cost of a cup of fancy coffee and and a muffin. I can finish both those in less then ten minutes. I am less concerned with the cost verse play time and more concerned with the quality of my experience. If I can get at least as much enjoyment from 10 dollars worth of DLC as I can a cup of coffee and a muffin then I count it as a win.

But that is just me.

Krion_Vark:

Zeel:

DVS BSTrD:

So they removed the whole point of having him in the game at all just to make a few extra bucks on opening day? This revelation WAs supposed to dampen my outrage HOW?

Even worse. They removed him as essential and then went out of their way to develop it as a DLC. It's like going "neyneyneerr look at what the game could've been!"

God EA games are a bunch of schmucks.

You keep throwing out the word ESSENTIAL like it means something. No Squadmate is Essential. NONE OF THEM. You can chose to kill Ash or Kaiden and Wrex in 1 You can kill them all in the second. NO ONE besides Shepard and Joker are essentials to this series. Sure the Protheon adds some sort of lore to the game. But does that take away your enjoyment when you can't see him die and then bring him back to life again over and over? I really don't see how having him as a squad mate is essential at all.

This is true.

I killed everyone that could be killed in ME1 and almost everyone in ME2. I am the worst Shepard in the History of Mass Effect. I can't even get laid. :(

Zen Toombs:
Sounds reasonable to me. Personally, I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about, especially considering we just got confirmation that the Prothean isn't directly relevant to the story (well, it is to the lore, but not the storyline).

The fuss appears to be outrage that people who buy the special edition get special content.

I hate to seem like I'm putting words in peoples' mouths, but this is kind of covered in the original article:

Why, they demanded, was this bit of content, which was obviously ready in time for the game's release, not included with the game - particularly since Collector's Edition buyers will get it free, but those who opt for the standard release will have to pony up 800 Microsoft points, or about ten bucks, for the privilege.

Why will people who pay extra get extra content while the people who don't have to pay money instead of getting it free?

The other portion of this is that people assume that any content that is available day one was available when the game was set to be published. Now, I'm sure that some devs do this, especially since we have on-disc DLC that demonstrates it clearly was available, but we can't really prove either way on a lot of this content. Unless you're inside the company and stuff, and I doubt you'd last long if you did disclose that your team was purposely withholding content.

In the end, you can choose to believe Bioware or not, but there's nothing concrete and never will be. A lot of people are just going to assume that Day 1=ready to be put on disc and purposely excluded. And a lot more seem to have this weird problem that people who pay more get more content.

Meh I'll just watch the extra content on YouTube if it turns out to be interesting. I hardly ever buy dlc after a game is released. RDR being the exception.

It's coming out the same day as the game, it does affect the story.
It should have been part of the game. No one can tell me that this wasn't cut out of the original game. Having a fucking Prothean as a squad member will affect your experience greatly, not matter how you look at it. It's a fucking race that was extincted over 50.000 years ago, and he somehow survived and now takes revenge on the reapers? That's the same as him being just a character somewhere and doing nothing?

So yeah, EA sucks... nothing new, and I lost any hope for Bioware a long time ago. As soon as EA started opening other Bioware studios for every game they want to have a strong name behind it.

dystopiaINC:
[quote="Edgeless" post="7.351892.13937159"]

no it was not on the disk, it is something that was made after the full game was sent off for all the other things like burning to disc and packaging, so basically several months ago when the Developers are just sitting around with the game finished, they went about making EXTRA content.

But if it's all ready to go and is shipping with the game anyway, why not include it as a free piece of content?

It's ready when the game comes out, if they have the power to ship it with the CE's, they should be able to include it with the normals.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I do find it amusing that the Escapist forums are becoming devoted to discussions on Bioware / EA screwing people over.

I can understand that, and it probably would not have really drawn so much ire if it hadn't been leaked early, but at this point I think BioWare should just do what it did with Shale and Zaeed and make it "free with new purchase" content. Honestly, at this point they are probably better off losing the $10 people would pay for the DLC then having many people not buy the game at all because of it. It's a pandora's box situation, the information got out and now marketing hell has broken loose, it is up to Bioware to either make the most of it or lose out on customers.

Frankly, I have been very skeptical of BW ever since EA bought them out, but if they include this DLC free as an act of good faith, they will definitely have won back some of my respect at least.

1. Congratulations on giving me yet another reason not to buy this game.

2. This site might as well just put a sign on the front: bought by EA marketing team.

Oh look more stuff about Mass Effect 3 for people to complain about, who would have expected that. I think this is fine, it is a way for fans of the series and people who preordered the collectors edition something extra.

I intend to watch the whole game on utube.

This game, and this site are both marketing scams...

ME3 better be freaking amazing for me to ever buy anything from EA or Bioware again.

Edgeless:

dystopiaINC:
[quote="Edgeless" post="7.351892.13937159"]

But if it's all ready to go and is shipping with the game anyway, why not include it as a free piece of content?

It's ready when the game comes out, if they have the power to ship it with the CE's, they should be able to include it with the normals.

While it should be obvious I am going to point out that, video games don't come into exist through magic. It took quite a few people countless hours to work up the DLC, and those people don't work for free. They like every other human being need to eat and therefore need to get paid. Money doesn't appear out of nowhere via magic either so in order to pay the developers for the few extra months of work they put into the DLC after the game was finished EA is charging 10 dollar for said DLC.

CE purchasers are also not getting it for free last I check CE copies of ME3 cost quit a bit more then a standard copy so basically CE purchasers paid in advance for said DLC plus a bunch of other shit.

I'm getting rather annoyed at the publishers continuously over-charging for their games. I love games for being an art, but as a business - it stinks.

If this is the new face of Day 1 DLC, this will set a very unscrupulous and extortionate precident of charging full whack for half a game. The gamers should be voting with their wallets and if it so offends them - not buying it.

However social pressure and a heavy marketing campaign on EA's part make this a very difficult thing to do.

Having said all this, people shouldn't be angry at Bioware itself, they just make the game. But it's the publishers who chop it up and sell it on and put the squeeze on everyone else.

Either way I'll have a good think about cancelling my pre-order for Mass Effect 3. I'm tired of being ripped off every time I buy a game.

Gunner 51:
I'm getting rather annoyed at the publishers continuously over-charging for their games. I love games for being an art, but as a business - it stinks.

If this is the new face of Day 1 DLC, this will set a very unscrupulous and extortionate precident of charging full whack for half a game. The gamers should be voting with their wallets and if it so offends them - not buying it.

However social pressure and a heavy marketing campaign on EA's part make this a very difficult thing to do.

Having said all this, people shouldn't be angry at Bioware itself, they just make the game. But it's the publishers who chop it up and sell it on and put the squeeze on everyone else.

Either way I'll have a good think about cancelling my pre-order for Mass Effect 3. I'm tired of being ripped off every time I buy a game.

Yes, all we ask is you think about it. We all know the game is tempting. I loved the series too but if we keep letting them do this, they wont stop. I do take issue with your its EA not Bioware. EA is Bioware now. stop confusing them as different entities.

I'd say atleast wait for the reviews. If they are ball out of the park. Even I wont be able to deny that Bioware got results.

Andy Chalk:
BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

BioWare says the From Ashes launch-day DLC for Mass Effect 3 couldn't be included with the game because work on it didn't begin until the upcoming sci-fi epic was complete.

Gamers reacted to the unexpected and unintentional reveal of From Ashes, the launch-day DLC for Mass Effect 3 that turned up on Xbox Live yesterday, about as you'd expect: they got mad. Why, they demanded, was this bit of content, which was obviously ready in time for the game's release, not included with the game - particularly since Collector's Edition buyers will get it free, but those who opt for the standard release will have to pony up 800 Microsoft points, or about ten bucks, for the privilege.

It's a pretty common question in this era of day-one DLC and BioWare is doing its best to answer it fully. First up is Mass Effect Producer Michael Gamble, who took to the forums to explain what the DLC is all about. And there are spoilers! Small ones, but consider yourself warned regardless.

From Ashes will include a Prothean squad mate, a trip to Eden Prime, a new weapon and an alternate appearance for everyone on the team, above and beyond the alternate appearances already included with the CE. "The Collectors Edition has been advertised from the beginning as containing a bonus character/mission, but we were not at liberty to provide the details," Gamble wrote. "The Prothean is optional content that is certainly designed to appeal to long-time fans, which is why he is part of the CE offering (the version many fans would be likely to purchase). Mass Effect 3 is a complete - and a huge game - right out of the box."

He also noted that development on From Ashes did not begin "until well after the main game went into certification," a point Executive Producer Casey Hudson expanded on through Twitter.

"It takes about 3 months from 'content complete' to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs. In that time we work on DLC," he wrote. "DLC has fast cert and no mfg., so if a team works very hard, they can get a DLC done in time to enjoy it with your 1st playthrough on day 1. On #ME3, content creators completed the game in January & moved onto the 'From Ashes' DLC, free w/ the CE or you can buy seperately."

The truth is that this probably won't do much to calm the rage but for people genuinely curious about why launch-day DLC isn't in the box, there you have it. Unfortunately, if you haven't already laid down your money for the CE, you might be stuck: Amazon is reporting that due to high demand [and possibly the imminent Reaper invasion], its allocation of CEs across all platforms is sold out.

Mass Effect 3, and the From Ashes DLC, will be out on March 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

I'd just like to add this:

That pretty much sums up what I think of this situation.

People mad, People mad everywhere.

Shoulda got the CE. I know I did.

In all seriousness, chill the fuck out. Whine, bitch, piss, and moan all you want but at the end of the day you're wrong and your sense of entitlement won't make you right.

Kroxile:

In all seriousness, chill the fuck out. Whine, bitch, piss, and moan all you want but at the end of the day you're wrong and your sense of entitlement won't make you right.

Sense of entitlement. Do you want to elaborate or is this just a hit and run tactic?

Wasn't planning on buying Mass Effect 3 at launch (let alone the collector's edition), but I just might do it anyway, simply to piss off all these frothing haters.

SajuukKhar:

Andy of Comix Inc:
My issues with this are: Bioware rewarding "true fans" by punishing other people's common sense. (Aren't "true" Mass Effect fans the ones that didn't like the sequel, anyway?)

Day 1 DLC that's included with some copies of the game and not others, despite being brand new. If this was a Project Ten Dollar sort of deal it'd be sound, but instead it offers limited chances to get it when you buy it.

And, the siphoning of resources of what could be in the game into "optional extra content". I understand that once a game is finished you have so much to do beyond QA, and you'll have, say, an art department sitting around twiddling their thumbs. But if they use their time to make DLC that's available day and date with the release of the game itself, I see no reason they couldn't ship that with the game itself. If it was a substantial amount of work, it wouldn't be ready for Day 1 and people would feel okay with paying $10 for it. But it's not, it's one character; it's being neglected from people who buy the game new and then charging them for it.

Indeed, people who are arguing "it's optional content" aren't getting the fucking point. That kind of content is the kind of stuff you should include on the disc, then. If it didn't take that many resources, time, development costs or manpower, then isn't charging for it a bit of a swindle? Likewise, wouldn't a mission pack released, say, a month after release, for a similar price, be absolutely fine? Go the BF3 route - promise DLC to CE buyers after release.

I'm not pleased with EA defending their choice like this; I feel they're digging themselves a deeper hole. And I'm not surprised people are outraged. I'm similarly surprised people are defending EA. But, at the same time, it doesn't bother me so much that I'll go up in arms about it. I'll just not buy the game like I was planning to and move on to better products. The perpetual argument needs to stop; if you think this DLC is worth the money, you'll buy it. ...but don't say that EA did the right thing. They just did a thing. By defending their decision as "for the fans," then yes, I feel those fans who are left out are entitled to something.

People need to stop saying everything is Ea's fault when this is for the most part bioware's

Nah, I very much doubt Bioware has any control over their release schedules, or when they issue a press statement like this. Bioware may be developing the game, but this is a really important product for EA and they'll be pulling the strings of this as much as they possibly can... when it comes to releases, DLC, the particular limited and special editions and announcements, and marketing, it's all on EA. It's sort of their job as publisher.

Bioware is just making the best damn game they can as contracted by EA. They don't make the decisions as to what releases when, where, or how.

Zeel:

Kroxile:

Sense of entitlement. Do you want to elaborate or is this just a hit and run tactic?

The fact that you seem to believe you are entitled to content developed AFTER the game went gold and has NOTHING to do with the storyline is all I need point out.. as I'm sure several others throughout this millionth incarnation of this thread have already done before me.

Seriously, be more butthurt bro. Its actually pretty funny.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 43 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here